The Future of Jeopardy: Alex Trebek and his successor

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

The Future of Jeopardy: Alex Trebek and his successor

Post by Isgrimnur »

Last edited by Isgrimnur on Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Drazzil

Re: Alex Trebek has Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer

Post by Drazzil »

End of an era. A lot of people are going to feel terrible about this, that said pancreatic cancer is much more treatable then it was just ten years ago.

I wish Mr. Trebeck the best.
Last edited by Drazzil on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Aww damnit. He has been part of our lives for so long now. I wish him well. But know how all people end.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
purge

Post by purge »

Good on him for being the bearer of the news.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not offended.
Please be patient - I will get to you shortly.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This isn't acceptable. It wasn't in the form of a question.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

On the plus side, cancer treatments are improving at an incredible rate. Negative, pancreatic is still one of the worst survival rates.

I can only imagine the mountains of research Jeopardy fans are starting to read right now.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Pancreatic is still usually fatal in relatively short order, and I can't imagine that "stage IV' is encouraging, nor is his age. Although I very rarely see it, Jeopardy is the only game show I'll watch if I happen to stumble across it. I still remember watching it when Don Pardo and Art Fleming were in charge. Wiki tells me that Trebek has been on the job since 1984...he'll be hard to replace, but the show will go on.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

[Samir] It would be nice to have that kind of job security [/Samir]
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Dang, that sucks. He's from here, so I've always looked up to him. Always seemed to have an answer for everything. Here's hoping he doesn't have to go through what Steve Jobs had to go through.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:05 pm Pancreatic is still usually fatal in relatively short order, and I can't imagine that "stage IV' is encouraging, nor is his age.
Stage IV pancreatic is what got my dad. It was 6 weeks between diagnosis and his passing. Hoping Trebek gets longer, but this certainly isn’t encouraging news.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Aww, fuck. I had hoped he'd outlive me. By far my favorite Canadian.

I've never heard of a favorable outcome of pancreatic cancer - either people I've known or celebs. In 1996 Cardinal Bernadin came down with it, and it was decreed that if anyone could beat it, he could (IIRC, 5 year survival rate hovered around 4%). He died, thereby dooming everyone with the disease. At least as far as the religious set is concerned.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

For all stages combined, 5-year survival rate is 7%. 1-year rate is 20%. Those numbers get grimmer as the stage gets higher. Pancreatic cancer is especially aggressive, and symptomless until it has spread far and wide. It's very rarely caught early.

Medical science has been trying to develop an artificial pancreas for the past 50 years. Progress has been accelerating lately, with the first commercial product debuting in 2017. But we are still some years away from a self-regulating insulin-control device that can control diabetes, let alone replace a cancerous organ.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Unless Im way off stage 4 means its spread to other parts of the body.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Pancreatic cancer is usually found in late stages and typically provides poor prognosis and outcomes.

Not good for Alex unfortunately.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

We found a terminator in our midst. Seriously, though, I’m so happy that he seems to be doing so well.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
disarm

Post by disarm »

Well-appearing on the outside doesn't mean much. Pancreatic cancer is sometimes deadly because you don't notice the signs or symptoms until it's too late
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, he says he's been responding well to aggressive treatment using new leading edge techniques, so there's that. Remission though remains to be seen, as often the case cancers can come roaring back after everything seeming fine.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:28 pm Well, he says he's been responding well to aggressive treatment using new leading edge techniques, so there's that. Remission though remains to be seen, as often the case cancers can come roaring back after everything seeming fine.
Exactly what happened to a friend of mine. "Everything is looking great! You beat this! You're testing better than people with no prostate cancer! Ooops, came back, your dead."
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:32 pm
Rumpy wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:28 pm Well, he says he's been responding well to aggressive treatment using new leading edge techniques, so there's that. Remission though remains to be seen, as often the case cancers can come roaring back after everything seeming fine.
Exactly what happened to a friend of mine. "Everything is looking great! You beat this! You're testing better than people with no prostate cancer! Ooops, came back, your dead."
Very common; cancer is not terribly hard to knock back, especially if it's localized, but it is incredibly adaptable. Maybe someday science will understand and tame its regenerative power. Trebek has already beaten lousy odds, so maybe he'll continue to be one of the lucky few who live long enough to die of something else.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:48 pm Very common; cancer is not terribly hard to knock back, especially if it's localized, but it is incredibly adaptable. Maybe someday science will understand and tame its regenerative power. Trebek has already beaten lousy odds, so maybe he'll continue to be one of the lucky few who live long enough to die of something else.
We had a cardinal in town who had pancreatic cancer. The media monkeys proclaimed "If anyone could beat it, he can." He did not. So I assume that means pancreatic cancer is a death sentence that cannot be reversed.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Alex Trebek has Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer

Post by Zarathud »

Alex can hope and treat all he wants but pancreatic cancer is serious. With great treatment he may live a while but it’s very serious and regularly fatal in less than 2 years.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:24 am Alex can hope and treat all he wants but pancreatic cancer is serious. With great treatment he may live a while but it’s very serious and regularly fatal in less than 2 years.
Ruth Bader Ginsburg just completed her treatment for her second bout of pancreatic cancer. She hopes to stay on the court until she's 90 or even older.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:24 am Alex can hope and treat all he wants but pancreatic cancer is serious. With great treatment he may live a while but it’s very serious and regularly fatal in less than 2 years.
I'm willing to bet that Trebek is well aware of the seriousness of his diagnosis. If he says he's doing well, I'll take him at his, and presumably his doctors', word(s).
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:02 pm
I'm willing to bet that Trebek is well aware of the seriousness of his diagnosis. If he says he's doing well, I'll take him at his, and presumably his doctors', word(s).
i saw a comedian once who claimed Alex was "dumb as a fart without the answer cards." While I don't think that's the case, I also don't think he'd fare that well as a contestant (something I'd have loved to have seen when he was on his game).
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

From the bits and pieces of Jeopardy that I've seen over the years, he's an excellent host, though. He comes off as one of those rare people who's doing what he was born to do.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive seen him host High Rollers a long time ago. He seemed more a ladies man back then. It was the 70s after all. It was a different time.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive seen him host High Rollers a long time ago. He seemed more a ladies man back then. It was the 70s after all. It was a different time.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Before landing Jeopardy, he hosted many other game shows, High Rollers being one of them, but for some reason the one I find most memorable is a Canadian game show called Pitfall. Next to that one, I remember Classic Concentration the most.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Back to therapy.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Apparently it came roaring back, so more chemo.

Because it's syndicated, Jeopardy! isn't available for streaming on the local station which it airs. I've not been able to watch it for years now; once upon a time I had a VCR set to capture every episode. I really hope Alex continues to prevail.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Every time I hear this stuff I always think its too soon even when it doesn't come back. I know my cousin and others who have died when they were treated and told all clear. If I had it Id say lets go another year or two...if I could stand the treatment that is.

Its somber news so here is a little lighthearted Alex.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:53 pm Every time I hear this stuff I always think its too soon even when it doesn't come back. I know my cousin and others who have died when they were treated and told all clear. If I had it Id say lets go another year or two...if I could stand the treatment that is.

Given that he's a native French speaker, he's probably doing better than any of us.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:53 pm
As for the pronunciation, I can say that having lived in the same city he's from, it's due to the region's high-density of Franco-Ontarian speakers and its influence on everyday speech and the way he pronounces it is the same way I say it (with a single syllable), so it doesn't come out sounding alien at all to me. To me it sounds odder when the emphasis is split into two syllables.

Another interesting similar example would be the word Niche. I've always grown up saying it pronounced as Neesh, but then several years ago I started noticing newscasters pronounce it as Nitch and I'm like, when did that start? Some words can be so simple but take you completely off-guard when said a different way than expected. Language and variations can be interesting that way.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Down south we say "nitch" - at least the part of the south I'm from. "Neesh" sounds like you're trying to be high-falutin'.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

From that perspective, it might seem that way, but it really isn't if you're brought up in a part of the world where saying it that way is completely normal. But that's what makes language wonderful. It's the little differences.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You been time traveling with Daehawk? Lose track of your temporal anchor? :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I swear, the internet went to hell when people started browsing exclusively on phones. I miss the barrier to entry of needing to use a PC.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:47 pm You been time traveling with Daehawk? Lose track of your temporal anchor? :wink:
Apparently...