Control

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

gbasden

Control

Post by gbasden »

Has anyone picked this up? I love Remedy as a developer, and Quantum Break was brilliant. I'm strongly considering purchasing it, but I thought I'd bounce it off the hive mind first.
Sepiche

Re: Control

Post by Sepiche »

I haven't picked it up as $60 just feels a little pricey, but I've watched a few people play through a few hours of the game, and it looks really good. Kind of gives me a bit of a Halflife vibe, and the gunplay looks really fun.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I'm intrigued by the little gameplay videos in the advertisements, but haven't bitten on it yet. Got a few too many other things I'm actively playing at the moment -- if the game had released over the summer I probably would've already tried it.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

gbasden wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:52 pm Has anyone picked this up? I love Remedy as a developer, and Quantum Break was brilliant. I'm strongly considering purchasing it, but I thought I'd bounce it off the hive mind first.
My opinion is yes......you should buy it. Then let us know how it is......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

stimpy wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:35 am
gbasden wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:52 pm Has anyone picked this up? I love Remedy as a developer, and Quantum Break was brilliant. I'm strongly considering purchasing it, but I thought I'd bounce it off the hive mind first.
My opinion is yes......you should buy it. Then let us know how it is......
OK, fine! I'll take the plunge tonight. :)
Jag

Post by Jag »

If you have any RTX card you can get a key cheap from Reddit. I got Control and Wolfenstein Youngblood for $18 for both. It's a legit key you redeem from Nvidia. Then redeem from Epic and Bethesda for each game.

I'm loving Control. It is really fun. Interesting story and fun gameplay. Totally took me by surprise. Very torn between playing Control and Greedfall right now.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I totally missed that special, so of course I shelled out $60 for it. :grund:

On the plus side, I agree with Jag. It's really beautiful on Ultra with ray tracing turned on, and the story is great so far.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I picked this up for my XB1 and agree with the thoughts here. I've also been using headphones most times I play, it reminded me a bit of Hellblade with all of the voices and other atmospheric audio elements of the game. Also found it interesting that they have a ‘Mute Copyrighted Tracks’ music option. 8-)
-mf
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

September update. Out now on PS4, coming RSN for other platforms.
-mf
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

gbasden wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:52 pm Has anyone picked this up? I love Remedy as a developer, and Quantum Break was brilliant.
First, thank you for confirming that I'm not the only one who really enjoyed Quantum Break. The internet consensus seems to like semi-shit on that game and it annoys me.

Second, yes, I've played Control. As Jag mentioned, I got it as a pack-in with the RTX 2070 I picked up this summer (basically getting an $80 game that I wanted to play anyway for free was a large part of what made the card affordable for me). I haven't finished it yet and I only have a few minutes to write but I'll share what I can:

The most important thing to know about the game is that it's a telekinesis simulator. Yes, there's a funky gun, and yes, you can levitate and mind control enemies, etc., but chucking filing cabinets at people's faces never. gets. old. Everything else about the game is really carried by the fact that splatting people with concrete slabs is endlessly entertaining (and with the right character upgrades, you really can do the majority of your fighting with just the telekinesis).

The game is absolutely gorgeous. That said, it's also really demanding. My CPU is about four years old and I got "just" a 2070 (not even the Super variant), so I haven't been able to play at 4K or with ray tracing on High. But even at 1440p with Medium ray tracing, it's beautiful. Definitely a visual showcase game, if you've got the hardware for it.

No story spoilers from me, but I'm enjoying it so far. Basically it's a "what if the government had actually taken Fox Mulder seriously and funded the X-Files for the last hundred years" kind of thing: instead of two people investigating weird paranormal shit, there's an entire, massive agency devoted to it (all of whom work in a single office building/TARDIS that is -- wait for it -- bigger on the inside). Oh, and I really liked the Alan Wake easter eggs.

So, definitely a tentative up-vote from me. I think I'm probably three-quarters of the way through it or so. Now I just hope they can stick the landing.

- Ash
morlac

Post by morlac »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:14 am I picked this up for my XB1 and agree with the thoughts here. I've also been using headphones most times I play, it reminded me a bit of Hellblade with all of the voices and other atmospheric audio elements of the game. Also found it interesting that they have a ‘Mute Copyrighted Tracks’ music option. 8-)
The mute options is for Streamers so they don't get in trouble with youtube/etc. Starting to see that option more and more.
Jag

Post by Jag »

tl;dr
Asharak wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:21 am The most important thing to know about the game is that it's a telekinesis simulator.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Update on what's coming next for Control

https://controlgame.com/control-communi ... whats-new/
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Asharak wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:21 am
gbasden wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:52 pm Has anyone picked this up? I love Remedy as a developer, and Quantum Break was brilliant.
First, thank you for confirming that I'm not the only one who really enjoyed Quantum Break. The internet consensus seems to like semi-shit on that game and it annoys me.
Quantum Break is criminally underrated. The story and acting was fantastic and the gameplay was really fun as well.
Asharak wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:21 am
chucking filing cabinets at people's faces never. gets. old.
It really, really doesn't. I'm very much enjoying this so far!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

morlac wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:18 pm
MonkeyFinger wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:14 am I picked this up for my XB1 and agree with the thoughts here. I've also been using headphones most times I play, it reminded me a bit of Hellblade with all of the voices and other atmospheric audio elements of the game. Also found it interesting that they have a ‘Mute Copyrighted Tracks’ music option. 8-)
The mute options is for Streamers so they don't get in trouble with youtube/etc. Starting to see that option more and more.
Oh, I knew what it was for, it was just not something I personally had seen before. Must not play the right kind of games. :wink:
-mf
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jag wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:13 pm If you have any RTX card you can get a key cheap from Reddit. I got Control and Wolfenstein Youngblood for $18 for both. It's a legit key you redeem from Nvidia. Then redeem from Epic and Bethesda for each game.

I'm loving Control. It is really fun. Interesting story and fun gameplay. Totally took me by surprise. Very torn between playing Control and Greedfall right now.
You have a link for this?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jag

Post by Jag »

stimpy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:35 am
Jag wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:13 pm If you have any RTX card you can get a key cheap from Reddit. I got Control and Wolfenstein Youngblood for $18 for both. It's a legit key you redeem from Nvidia. Then redeem from Epic and Bethesda for each game.

You have a link for this?
Do a bit of research on how to use r/steamgameswap. Keys go fast and check the sellers rep. I've never had an issue, but as always buyer beware.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamGameSwap/
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'm still really loving this game. The story is great so far, and the puzzles are good without making me tear my hair out (though the punchcard puzzle verged on it). The whole universe they have created is fantastic, and I love the messages and documents you find. I think this is my favorite game of the year so far, but we will see if they can stick the ending.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

In an effort to better understand the making of the game's critically-acclaimed narrative Gamasutra chatted with Brooke Maggs, a narrative designer at Remedy who has previously worked on The Gardens Between, Florence, and Paperbark, about her experience working to craft Control's eerie setting.
Inside the narrative design of Remedy's least linear game
-mf
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

So ... I have now encountered the first boss and while I generally like the game so far, I find it also frustrating. I can't get close to defeating the first boss and there are no difficulty levels to choose from, so ... the chances that I will see most of this games feels pretty damn low for now. I don't know why companies do this. Yes, I may not be the best video game player out there (and can't wait for people to tell me that "this is actually really easy" or "just do exactly these 10 things in perfect order and with perfect timing to beat the boss") but why do games have to frustrate us so often. While I don't play simply for relaxation, I don't want (or need) to prove myself constantly in some artificially difficult artificial world. Why don't the devs give us difficulty levels, ESPECIALLY when they seem to be interested in also telling us a story? Well, I'll try some more but it's sad, I'm already soured on a game that I paid good money for and that I enjoyed so far ...
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

ChuckB wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:16 pm So ... I have now encountered the first boss and while I generally like the game so far, I find it also frustrating. I can't get close to defeating the first boss and there are no difficulty levels to choose from, so ... the chances that I will see most of this games feels pretty damn low for now. I don't know why companies do this. Yes, I may not be the best video game player out there (and can't wait for people to tell me that "this is actually really easy" or "just do exactly these 10 things in perfect order and with perfect timing to beat the boss") but why do games have to frustrate us so often. While I don't play simply for relaxation, I don't want (or need) to prove myself constantly in some artificially difficult artificial world. Why don't the devs give us difficulty levels, ESPECIALLY when they seem to be interested in also telling us a story? Well, I'll try some more but it's sad, I'm already soured on a game that I paid good money for and that I enjoyed so far ...
I feel exactly the same way. There are so many games, particularly of this sort, that I hit a block. Some times I'll be motivated enough to find a walkthrough, but sometimes even with a video walkthrough I still can't get past whatever it is. Really annoys me. It's not like I'm super uncoordinated, I mean when I'm playing an ARPG I've generally got like 10 hotkeys going seamlessly. But as soon as I get into a 3D-ish game my perception/reactions just don't work the way it seems like it is supposed to. Hearing you say this makes me really hesitant to get this one now, even though it looks so damn cool. Is there any free mode where you can just run around and throw file cabinets at people lol?
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

rittchard wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:34 pm
ChuckB wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:16 pm So ... I have now encountered the first boss and while I generally like the game so far, I find it also frustrating. I can't get close to defeating the first boss and there are no difficulty levels to choose from, so ... the chances that I will see most of this games feels pretty damn low for now. I don't know why companies do this. Yes, I may not be the best video game player out there (and can't wait for people to tell me that "this is actually really easy" or "just do exactly these 10 things in perfect order and with perfect timing to beat the boss") but why do games have to frustrate us so often. While I don't play simply for relaxation, I don't want (or need) to prove myself constantly in some artificially difficult artificial world. Why don't the devs give us difficulty levels, ESPECIALLY when they seem to be interested in also telling us a story? Well, I'll try some more but it's sad, I'm already soured on a game that I paid good money for and that I enjoyed so far ...
I feel exactly the same way. There are so many games, particularly of this sort, that I hit a block. Some times I'll be motivated enough to find a walkthrough, but sometimes even with a video walkthrough I still can't get past whatever it is. Really annoys me. It's not like I'm super uncoordinated, I mean when I'm playing an ARPG I've generally got like 10 hotkeys going seamlessly. But as soon as I get into a 3D-ish game my perception/reactions just don't work the way it seems like it is supposed to. Hearing you say this makes me really hesitant to get this one now, even though it looks so damn cool. Is there any free mode where you can just run around and throw file cabinets at people lol?
Unfortunately, there is not. It doesn't (even) have different difficulty levels and while I heard that the game opens up later a bit, it's very linear in the beginning so you better get through the difficulty-bottlenecks they created or ... you are stuck in a very little bottle. For me, the 3D environment is not the issue (the 10 hotkey ARPG would probably create a bigger issue for me, I suck at these very fast action games where you have to perform these complicated combos). Part of the issue for me with Control may be that I'm playing this on the PS4 with a controller and while I'm getting really good with a controller in these cover shooters (such as The Division or Uncharted and even Assassin's Creed), I'm better with a mouse in these free-roam shooters (the Far Cry games didn't work for me well with a controller, not much of an issue with mouse/KB). So, if you are on PC, this may help.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Ok, I finally beat the boss. In the end, it didn't feel too difficult. Game is getting more interesting but I'm already dreading the next boss ...
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Finally grabbed this on Epic/PC as it was on sale for $44.99. It's really creepy and the graphics looked fantastic. But of course I only got barely past the intro before getting killed 5 times in a row by some lame bad guys. I thought I was doing well and I'm guessing if I was patient enough I could get past them, but it just killed the immersion and I hadn't even got a single power yet. Sigh. It looks like there might be some cheats available but that is probably the only way I'll be able to get further in the game. I just want to get to the point where I can telekinetically throw crap at people and I'll be happy.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I had similar issues at first, getting frustrated by early enemies (when I had no powers) killing me. Biggest tip I recall is... move! Standing still is death, keep moving and sniping, using cover as much as possible. Things really open up when you get powers. 8-)
-mf
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I picked this up over the break after finishing up everything I could think to do in Remnant. That first boss was a bitch and then he was easy. No idea why. No idea how far into the game I am now, I have floaty powers now which is cool... and yes smashing big things into meanie faces never gets old.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:26 pm I picked this up over the break after finishing up everything I could think to do in Remnant. That first boss was a bitch and then he was easy. No idea why. No idea how far into the game I am now, I have floaty powers now which is cool... and yes smashing big things into meanie faces never gets old.
I will say the second boss was giving me fits, and then I went off and leveled a bit more. I did some missions for the Janitor and some incursions and unlocked the 3rd enhancement slot and then revisited him. I killed him second try. If you get stuck, think about changing up your enhancements, using different weapons or even potentially just coming back later.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I'm waiting for my RTX to try this out. So exicted. :)
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
naednek

Post by naednek »

Scoop20906 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:55 pm I'm waiting for my RTX to try this out. So exicted. :)
It's great. Note I had to turn down some of the ray tracing settings to make it playable. You have about 5 options involving ray tracing and turning all 5 on took a hit on my 2070 super.

Fiddle around one at a time to see what works for you.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I started playing through this again on the PS5 version. I got to the end of the PS4 version and quit at the final boss since the game kept crashing on me at the boss itself. This time around I'm enjoying the game just as much. This is the first game I've played with Ray Tracing and I think it really does add a lot. The reflective surfaces are significantly upgraded. So much so that the reflections of bad guys can often times fool you into thinking they're the real thing. I can see developers taking advantage of Ray Tracing in the future to create some really cool and tricky level designs.

On another positive note I'm about half way through the game now and it hasn't crashed at all, which is an improvement over the PS4 version.

I plan on beating it this time and then playing the Alan Wake DLC as well.
FTE
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I played a bunch of this on the xBox, but shelved it until I can get a Series X for the enhancements.

It was a lot of fun tho. There are some tough battles, especially against those enemies who can destroy cover.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I’m contemplating picking the ultimate edition of this up on the current Steam sale, but I have a question for the fine OO folks that have played it.

I keep seeing people say it’s creepy. I am not a fan of horror or jump-scare/super tense stuff in my games. So, just how creepy is this?
-something witty-
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

infinitelurker wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:46 am I’m contemplating picking the ultimate edition of this up on the current Steam sale, but I have a question for the fine OO folks that have played it.

I keep seeing people say it’s creepy. I am not a fan of horror or jump-scare/super tense stuff in my games. So, just how creepy is this?
Extremely minor. Based on the lore and a couple environments it feels like originally they wanted it to be a scarier game but they realized that just didn't make sense when players are basically a super hero so they dropped it. Some of the areas have some spooky ambiance but the enemies are not unless you find the idea of shadow men with guns scary. The spookiest section is probably the AW DLC crossover section but at that point you have the power level of superman so just body slam the things that scare you. :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ultimate Edition is available on Epic for $9.99 during their Spring sale. I bit to get the DLCs, as I have just finished the main story.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
disarm

Post by disarm »

The Ultimate Edition is also available on PC and console through Xbox Gamepass Ultimate if you're a subscriber.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:doh:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I need to get to this. I picked it up on a humble bundle monthly and still haven't installed it. :?
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Picked it up for free about a year ago on Epic during one of their "Free Game of the Week" promos. Haven't opened it. Is it worth the effort? I'm sure there's no DLC attached, I think it was just the vanilla game.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I started this about a year ago on Steam Deck, but stalled out pretty early on. Difficulty factor was high for me. As noted above, you need to keep moving and my play style tends to sneaking and sniping. I do want to go back to it now that I'm better at using Steam Deck controls, but I'd probably have to start from scratch as I can't imagine remembering how the controls work.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You can eventually level up and gain powers that allow you to tank more, thus avoiding the run and gun aspects of the game to a greater degree. But honestly, the real draw of the game is the world they create. The story telling and the atmosphere made this one of my all time favorite games.
Covfefe!