Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Month renewal is up Oct 21/2019. $1337.51 USD of roughly $1700 USD (CDN conversion) as of Sept 1/2019. Paypal Donation Link Here

Kickstarter (Merged)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Smoove_B » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:39 am

Apparently this was all the rage at GenCon (the cool kids would need to confirm that): The Isofarian Guard just hit KS.

It's a solo or 2 player "bag builder", heavy with narrative. You can upgrade your pledge to include access to the Forteller app and it'll actually provide voice-actor assisted audio for the game's narrative. What I think it most interesting is that they're using the same chip manufacturer as Chip Theory Games, so the tokens you pull from the bag are the same weight/style as Too Many Bones or Hoplomachus.

Regardless, it's nice to see more and more games coming out that are recognizing there really is a a solo market out there - not just a tacked on game mode to draw in a few more dollars.

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:01 pm

I was eying this, but I'm trying to avoid expensive kickstarters like this until 2nd edition kickstarters (which seems inevitable at this point).
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:21 pm

Man, that looks really fantastic. I was just about to pull the trigger on it, but jeez, December 2020? I know that's not that unusual, but it's become so hard for me to drop a hundred bucks on something I won't play for over a year. I guess I'll at least drop a buck to get access to the pledge manager.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:24 pm

Yeah, 15 months does seem like a really long development cycle. I thought about getting the app, but I'm impatient with being read to by a game when I can read it faster myself. It sounds like a really great idea for immersion though. I'm just doing the base pledge then without it and mentally assuming it'll be here in early 2021 with some more (but not all) of my Kingdom Death monster stuff from 2016. :D

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:01 am

Slate
On Thursday morning, Kickstarter fired Taylor Moore, an employee who was one of the organizers of a unionization effort within the company. This was the second firing of a union organizer since last week, when Clarissa Redwine was also fired. Moore had been at the company for six years and Redwine since 2016, and both worked on the outreach team. Both had been heavily involved in the union effort since it began earlier this year. Moore and Redwine, according to four sources who work at the company, were both fired for what management alleged were performance-related issues.

Kickstarter would not specifically comment on Moore’s and Redwine’s firings and said it has not fired anyone for union activities. On Monday evening, Redwine and the Office and Professional Employees International Union (through which Kickstarter employees are organizing) filed an unfair labor charge with the National Labor Relations Board, alleging that the severance agreement offered to her by Kickstarter contained an illegally phrased nondisparagement clause. Kickstarter told Slate it has not seen the filing and could not comment.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:47 pm

hepcat wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:54 pm
Smoove_B wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:38 am
Hasn't been an update from Ulisses Spiele for the latest Aventuria KS in almost a month, but apparently they were selling copies of it at GenCon? There goes any faith I have in them to resurrect the Myth license.
That's disappointing. :cry:
It's pretty clear they DGAF about KS or backers of this game. The last update was telling us that they're really busy running KS projects and it's too hard to keep track of messages sent to them via KS so just email them instead. I'm just going to throw this out there - maybe don't run so many KS projects at once?

"Shipping started" and it looks like European customers have started seeing copies. No indication as to when US copies are coming and how we should expect them. Again, I've absolutely lost all faith in their ability to manage Myth. It's pretty apparent they're focused on licensed properties, not in-house projects.

RMC

Post by RMC » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:03 pm

Got a shipping notification that my Eclipse 2.0 matt has shipped. I was hoping for the actual game, but hey things are starting to ship.

They send it by wagon train, as it still has a week until it get's here.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat