News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Skinypupy »

There will definitely be a barrier to entry around the puppets. I saw multiple reviews complain about how the puppets didn’t “emote” and it hurt the overall story. Likely won’t be an issue for me, but I get it.

I’d be curious to know how it holds up without the benefit of nostalgia, since it’s impossible for me to separate that aspect.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

4 episodes in. I think the best description I can give is that that watching this show makes me feel just like I did when I watched the original as a kid. The sheer wonder of the spectacle, the mystery, the grand adventure, the stuff that's creepy AF...it captures everything absolutely perfectly.

It's the highest compliment I think I can give this show, tbh.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm only 2 episodes in, but so far it's exactly what I'd hoped it'd be--the feel of the original, enhanced by modern CG, but much more world to explore.

It's probably not for everyone, but it's an incredible accomplishment/achievement.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Being stuck inside since Saturday meant we got to watch a lot of TV. We finished up the final season of Orange Is the New Black. I thought it was a really good way to end the series. The show as a whole has always had its ups and downs, but the final season I thought was pretty good.

We also got a few episodes into the latest season of Glow. I’m thoroughly enjoying it so far, even if it’s not as good as some of the previous seasons.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:16 am it captures everything absolutely perfectly.
They even managed to get the original... cadence? of the voices. That's attention to detail. I'm only one episode in, but I enjoyed that episode quite a bit.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

msteelers wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:44 am Being stuck inside since Saturday meant we got to watch a lot of TV. We finished up the final season of Orange Is the New Black. I thought it was a really good way to end the series. The show as a whole has always had its ups and downs, but the final season I thought was pretty good.

We also got a few episodes into the latest season of Glow. I’m thoroughly enjoying it so far, even if it’s not as good as some of the previous seasons.
We also finished OINTB recently and we liked it. I think they did a good job of wrapping it up.

We finished season 3 of GLOW a couple days ago and we liked it. It's a lot more serious than the previous seasons.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I finished Mindhunters season 2. Absolutely loved it. I highly recommended it if you haven't seen it yet. The final episode does not disappoint!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

The new Dark Crystal is everything I'd hoped it would be. I'm halfway through but I think I may turn around and watch them all again when I'm done, there is just so much detail it's hard to take it all in.
hepcat wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:54 am
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:10 am After watching a bazillion CGI characters over the years, I actually find the puppets quite endearing...especially since the puppetry is so well done. I can see how they’d rub some folks the wrong way though.
I honestly feel like this is on me, not the show or the puppets. It's like I'm an old fogey who can't see the wonder in the show because I'm not open minded enough. :cry:
What about stop motion animation, don't you like that? (in general, not in this show)
Or, what if I told you Mark Hamill was the voice of the Chamberlain?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:10 am After watching a bazillion CGI characters over the years, I actually find the puppets quite endearing...especially since the puppetry is so well done. I can see how they’d rub some folks the wrong way though.
I honestly feel like this is on me, not the show or the puppets. It's like I'm an old fogey who can't see the wonder in the show because I'm not open minded enough. :cry:
There's hope. What you've described is almost exactly like how I initially bounced off Farscape, but when I gave it another shot I was able to get past it and fell in love with the show. Something clicked, and somehow Rygel and Pilot stopped being puppets and became characters.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:17 am The new Dark Crystal is everything I'd hoped it would be. I'm halfway through but I think I may turn around and watch them all again when I'm done, there is just so much detail it's hard to take it all in.
What about stop motion animation, don't you like that? (in general, not in this show)
Hamill is the Scientist. Simon Pegg is Chamberlain.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm forcing myself to watch it and I'm happy to report that I'm feeling a weakening in the evil forces of closed mindedness, and I'm beginning to see the light. I think the moment that I stopped fighting the show was during
Spoiler:
the introduction of Lore (I think that was its name), the stone guardian. When he started playing his arm like a phonograph, I just decided, "welp, they've won". :lol:
Also, the story has started to sink in with me and I'm enjoying all the individual journeys of the characters finally. Hup has even won me over.
There's hope. What you've described is almost exactly like how I initially bounced off Farscape, but when I gave it another shot I was able to get past it and fell in love with the show. Something clicked, and somehow Rygel and Pilot stopped being puppets and became characters.
I never had an issue with Farscape. I immediately fell in love with it from the very beginning. They made most of their puppets either stationary (Pilot) or put them on hoverboards (Rygel), thus avoiding (for the most part) the weird movement that reminds me of Beaker or Animal freaking out when they try to run.
I'm a lifelong fan of Ray Harryhausen, so stop motion animation doesn't bother me in the least. But this isn't stop motion animation.

It doesn't help that I'm absolutely terrified of marionettes since childhood too. :oops:
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:17 am
I spend half of his scenes trying very hard to not hear the Joker.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Tangential comment re: Age of Resistance--I didn't grok right away that one of the composers is Daniel Pemberton, who jumped onto my radar last year with his awesome scoring of Into the Spider-Verse:

His soundtrack to The Dark Crystal is pretty swell, too:

Samuel Sim is pretty good, too:

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:44 am I'm forcing myself to watch it and I'm happy to report that I'm feeling a weakening in the evil forces of closed mindedness, and I'm beginning to see the light. I think the moment that I stopped fighting the show was during
Spoiler:
the introduction of Lore (I think that was its name), the stone guardian. When he started playing his arm like a phonograph, I just decided, "welp, they've won". :lol:
That's been one of my favorite parts as well.
Also, the story has started to sink in with me and I'm enjoying all the individual journeys of the characters finally. Hup has even won me over.
You didn't love Hup from the start? Unpossible.

While I'm enjoying the fact that they don't shy away from some seriously dark shit in this show (Peeper Beetle, anyone?), it does mean that there's no way my kids - who are overly sensitive to violence in general - will ever watch it. So much for introducing it to the next generation. :(
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I've been surprised at the level of disturbing imagery so far. It's still a decidedly pg-13 level, but pg-13 today is pretty hefty for a show featuring puppets.
He won. Period.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:18 am Hamill is the Scientist. Simon Pegg is Chamberlain.
Sorry! You're correct, Blackhawk.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:59 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:18 am Hamill is the Scientist. Simon Pegg is Chamberlain.
Sorry! You're correct, Blackhawk.
Well, yeah. But that wasn't me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It was Mark Hamill, I believe.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:26 pm It was Mark Hamill, I believe.
Keyser Soze
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Bill Burr's new stand up special is on.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:54 pmIn.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Torfish wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:03 pm I finished Mindhunters season 2. Absolutely loved it. I highly recommended it if you haven't seen it yet. The final episode does not disappoint!
I got to where Anna Torv finally shows up. Now they have my attention.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I finally finished Mindhunter Season 1, and got 4 episodes into Season 2 yesterday.

Man, that show is just disturbing as hell.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Finished watching the second season of Mindhunter, which for the most part delivered. It may or may not be back for season 3, and not anytime soon. At least they ditched the three most annoying characters: Bill's wife, Holden's girlfriend, and especially Wendy's girlfriend. Hope they stay away.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Look, I'm no profiler, but you clearly have relationship issues. :D
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:31 am Finished watching the second season of Mindhunter, which for the most part delivered. It may or may not be back for season 3, and not anytime soon. At least they ditched the three most annoying characters: Bill's wife, Holden's girlfriend, and especially Wendy's girlfriend. Hope they stay away.
Damn, some spoiler tags would have been nice there. :(
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Didn't say how they got ditched. :ninja:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Jane Lynch and Cyndi Lauper working on a "Golden Girls for today" Netflix exclusive series. Ok, then.
According to Lynch, it’s Netflix: “I pitched a show to Netflix and they bought it,” she told reporters after winning the Emmy for guest actress in a comedy (for “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”). ” I don’t know if I can even tell you, but it’s with Cyndi Lauper, so there! We’ll see.”

Pressed to share some details about the show, Lynch added, “We’re our age, I’m almost 60 and she’s 65, and we’re looking for our next act, without ever having had husbands of children. And there will be two other people who haven’t been cast yet. But its kind of a ‘Golden Girls’ for today.”
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:19 pm Didn't say how they got ditched. :ninja:
I didn't say at what point in the movie Darth revealed he was Luke's father! Nor did I tell you what kind of gun was used to kill Old Yeller!
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Probably best to label this NSFW.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:48 am Jane Lynch and Cyndi Lauper working on a "Golden Girls for today" Netflix exclusive series. Ok, then.
According to Lynch, it’s Netflix: “I pitched a show to Netflix and they bought it,” she told reporters after winning the Emmy for guest actress in a comedy (for “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”). ” I don’t know if I can even tell you, but it’s with Cyndi Lauper, so there! We’ll see.”

Pressed to share some details about the show, Lynch added, “We’re our age, I’m almost 60 and she’s 65, and we’re looking for our next act, without ever having had husbands of children. And there will be two other people who haven’t been cast yet. But its kind of a ‘Golden Girls’ for today.”
I guess nobody told them that Netflix buys anything they get pitched. :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm about to wrap up the first season of Mindhunter. It's a slow burn, but damn if it didn't hook me.
While the entire cast, including the prisoners, is great, Holt McCallany is a real standout.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:48 am Jane Lynch and Cyndi Lauper working on a "Golden Girls for today" Netflix exclusive series. Ok, then.

I'm hearing from late 40 something women that they are looking forward to it. shrug. I like Cyndi Lauper. I never found Lynch to be entertaining for my time in front of TV. I can only assume she will be the Arthur archetype and Lauper will be the White archetype and that the others will be less Caucasian. Cultural difference Fun and hijinx follow as they bond over staying active while their bodies change with age.
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Cyndi Lauper is a national treasure, absolutely. I'm just confused by her role in this, but who knows? Maybe it will be fantastic.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

OK you guys have convinced me to go back and watch Mindhunter. I was super excited to watch it because I love that cute what's his name but I fell asleep during the first episode. I will give it my full attention this next go around lol.

I just finished binging Unbelievable, which is based on a true story about catching a serial rapist. Not my typical sort of show, but I just found it riveting from start to finish. I can't even explain why, it's not paced like a thriller, it's actually kind of "slow" in that sense. I guess just the acting is absolutely top notch from everyone.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

My brother worked on this Netflix exclusive about a child developing superpowers and his mother having to deal with those arising powers and the implications for her and her son:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3nea3x55Go

The trailer looks great I think - hopefully it will be good.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Cool, thanks. I'm in!
He won. Period.