Drazzil Mega Thread: Round table panel skills presentation +Took a home drug test for THC; failed at 45 days sobriety.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Drazzil

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Man! Finding a job in Portland is hard!

Post by Drazzil »

stimpy wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:02 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:58 pm
Drazzil wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:36 pm So today is the first day of my job search! Went on indeed and updated my info, contacted the Oregon voc rehab to start a new case and will be attending an orientation on tuesday.

Wish me luck!
Chance favors the prepared mind.
He's screwed....lol.

I know it seems I may be piling on Draz. I'm not.
It's just the history of this saga pretty much predetermines the outcome.
I hope I'm wrong and he starts making rational decisions to help improve his life, but not gonna wager on it.
What the absolute hell are you doing negging me dude? I listen to advice here, I get piled on, I *don't* listen to advice, I get piled on. Every move I make it seems like someone here has something totally snarky to say.

I'ma going to say this once and just once. I have made a huge leap into the unknown here after YEARS of fucking suffering defeats and setbacks. I deserve the benefit of the doubt, or at least yaknow the benefit of silence while I attempt to set my life right.

I'm looking for positive encouragement, not fail speak or snarky dogpiling.

PS: I already have an interview wednesday. Employers are thirsty and I'm just the cold drink of employee they need.

IF I fuck up and post it up here, then say whatever. Till then, lead follow or get outta my way.

Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:22 pm PS: I already have an interview wednesday. Employers are thirsty and I'm just the cold drink of employee they need.
This is great news. Good luck!

Don't let this interview stop you from searching, though. Better you line up a bunch of interviews next week than to count on this one coming through.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Drazzil wrote:PS: I already have an interview wednesday. Employers are thirsty and I'm just the cold drink of employee they need.
Positive attitude and progress towards a goal? What happened to old Drazzil? :grin:

Just keep focused and your eyes on the prize — employment and progress on a better life.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Exodor wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:24 pm
Drazzil wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:22 pm PS: I already have an interview wednesday. Employers are thirsty and I'm just the cold drink of employee they need.
This is great news. Good luck!

Don't let this interview stop you from searching, though. Better you line up a bunch of interviews next week than to count on this one coming through.
G'luck but what he said - don't count on it, keep looking and get as many lined up as you can. Improve your odds of getting an offer. If you are so lucky as to get multiple offers, so much the better, then you can choose.

And grats on the successful relocation.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I just want to hear the air bnb story.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

naednek wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:15 pm I just want to hear the air bnb story.
You will soon.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:58 pm
Drazzil wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:36 pm So today is the first day of my job search! Went on indeed and updated my info, contacted the Oregon voc rehab to start a new case and will be attending an orientation on tuesday.

Wish me luck!
Chance favors the prepared mind.
Chance prepared the mind favors.
Imagepg
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'd think anyone who doesn't come to a job interview wearing all black and a mask in Portland would be golden. :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Finding a job is tough, from what I hear. Best of luck in the interview.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Roman

Post by Roman »

No update in almost a month? What gives? All OK?
Or are you down in Mexico :lol: - sorry couldn't resist :ninja:
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Man! I've got it SO good!

Post by Drazzil »

Roman wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:13 am No update in almost a month? What gives? All OK?
Or are you down in Mexico :lol: - sorry couldn't resist :ninja:
In the last three weeks I have:

Attended an AA class every day
Registered for DoR to find a job
Put my resume online
Changed my medical and food stamps from CA to Oregon.
Studied for, tested and passed my DL test to transfer my license from Cali to Oregon. I also had to renew registration AND change my plates.

None of this stuff is as easy as it sounds. The AA class is an ordeal. It's a 3 mile walking round trip. The medical and aid stuff was a pain too. The driving stuff required an Oregon smog test, never mind Cali's requirements are more stringent.

I asked the DMV person, she said its because CA "private enterprise smog testing is dishonest" *shrug*
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Man! I've got it good!

Post by Drazzil »

APT is paid for, foods about halfway paid for. Electric is paid for. The only thing I gotta worry about is the cats and finding a job.

My life is pretty good right now, and its only gonna get better when I find a job.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

How's the new cat doing?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

He's hiding in the wall.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:35 pm How's the new cat doing?
She ran away from my friend and didn't come back. :( Now it's the sick old girl and the young boy.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I miss my little orange girl.... So much.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Have you gotten tackled by pump jockeys yet attempting to self-serve your gas?
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Drazzil wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:03 pm The AA class is an ordeal. It's a 3 mile walking round trip.
get an el cheapo bicycle on craigslist or thrift store? that would make short work of those miles.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:25 pm Have you gotten tackled by pump jockeys yet attempting to self-serve your gas?
Yep.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:10 pm
Drazzil wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:03 pm The AA class is an ordeal. It's a 3 mile walking round trip.
get an el cheapo bicycle on craigslist or thrift store? that would make short work of those miles.
I was thinking more along the line of an electric scooter. My balance is shit.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

finally sounds like things are looking up. Good luck with the job search.
FTE
morlac

Post by morlac »

Drazzil wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:14 pm
:lol: :pop:
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

morlac wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:28 am
Scooters require more balance then bikes dont they?

*sigh*
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Balance for shit improves quickly on a bike. I've gotten back into biking lately and last weekend I went 34 miles. 5 weeks ago I was a little wobbly after 18 miles; now I'm riding long flat stretches with my arms out like I can fly.

You could turn your hour-long 3 mile walk into a 10 minute ride pretty easily. Mobility is an essential thing to keeping options and opportunities open, and a bike can help you get some cardio in, too.

The best thing about a bike is that it doesn't matter how bad it looks as long as it works. They're easy and cheap to maintain, and the more battered it looks, the less likely someone is to want to steal it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

+1 to all that. push your horizons a bit and stop saying 'i can't' here - if you practice riding, you *will* rapidly improve. (not to mention Portland is one of the best cities in the US for bicycling)
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:07 pm +1 to all that. push your horizons a bit and stop saying 'i can't' here - if you practice riding, you *will* rapidly improve. (not to mention Portland is one of the best cities in the US for bicycling)
Thanks for the advice. I will go look for a bike.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:04 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:07 pm +1 to all that. push your horizons a bit and stop saying 'i can't' here - if you practice riding, you *will* rapidly improve. (not to mention Portland is one of the best cities in the US for bicycling)
Thanks for the advice. I will go look for a bike.
Remember that the only thing that matters is function. A $700 mountain bike is a tempting magnet for a thief, even with an expensive lock. A $50 Schwinn won't matter much if it vanishes, and a moderate lock will stop anyone from bothering. I like quick-release seats, too. I take the seat with me and lock the tires to the frame.

I can vouch for Trek being a good brand of bike (my bike that I ride from 1994 is a Trek 960), and this one's $96. It's a little small for me, and at 33lbs (steel frame), too heavy for me - but less expensive usually is heavier. Might be worth it to wander into a bike shop and have them "fit" you for an appropriate size before shopping around.

Don't forget the accompanying bike shorts. They're all the rage. :D

Re: Bike Locks, this guy's a fun watch. The lock he uses is $75. Watch a few of his other videos to see why other bike locks might not be great. Probably not worth it to drop that much on a lock for a $50 bike, though.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

just to add my 2 cents on bike thievery:

i only bother with running the lock through the front wheel and frame. i live in a rather high bike theft area in Seattle, but the only time i've had a whole bike thieved was when i (ignorantly) used just a cable lock, so get a real-deal U-lock. my saddle has never been stolen so i just leave that (it's the OEM saddle and it's starting to look ratty anyways). however, i have had bike lights stolen several times, so i always remove the front one (the only rear light i've ever had stolen was a higher priced-model, so i leave those also. but the front light will always be taken sooner or later by some street junkie, no matter how cheap.) also had my front disc brake stolen off my bike once (!) - that was stupid. luckily that disc brake was a different, cheaper kind than the rear one, so i just got a matching front disc brake system to replace it. lesson learned - do not leave bike unattended on the University of Washington campus at night.

i also do not wear biking-specific clothes at all. no spandex for me...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I used to have an old upright 3-speed (think Elvira Gulch, except with a boy's bike rupture bar) that I used to commute between home and the T station. I got Nellie the Nutbuster for $20 at a yard sale, and I was lax about locking her up specifically because she was the last bike anybody would want to steal. In fact, I ultimately abandoned her by leaving her unlocked in a rack, and it was a week before anybody made off with her. I'd definitely go with the cheap bike/token lock approach for a short-trip shuttle.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:52 pm just to add my 2 cents on bike thievery:

i only bother with running the lock through the front wheel and frame. i live in a rather high bike theft area in Seattle, but the only time i've had a whole bike thieved was when i (ignorantly) used just a cable lock, so get a real-deal U-lock. my saddle has never been stolen so i just leave that (it's the OEM saddle and it's starting to look ratty anyways). however, i have had bike lights stolen several times, so i always remove the front one (the only rear light i've ever had stolen was a higher priced-model, so i leave those also. but the front light will always be taken sooner or later by some street junkie, no matter how cheap.) also had my front disc brake stolen off my bike once (!) - that was stupid. luckily that disc brake was a different, cheaper kind than the rear one, so i just got a matching front disc brake system to replace it. lesson learned - do not leave bike unattended on the University of Washington campus at night.

i also do not wear biking-specific clothes at all. no spandex for me...
I would regularly take the front wheel off, and use the U-lock for frame + rear +disconnected front. Never had a seat stolen, but I get concerned.

Drazzil - get a cheap bike, there's a reason they say it's just like riding a bike ;).

Less balance than a scooter required, better brakes, etc as well. Unless of course, you've done about 5x as many miles on a scooter as you have a bike, in which case, maybe go with the scooter.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:38 am
morlac wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:28 am
Scooters require more balance then bikes dont they?

*sigh*

Maybe or Maybe not...shrug. What I do know is they go a lot faster than a bike and you will get way more hits on youtube losing balance on a scooter.

Look at garage sales or thrift/pawn shops for used bikes. I just grabbed a barely used decent bike for $25 at a garage sale. Looks like it had been ridden twice and was going for about $250 at Dick's sporting good. Get a cheap bike to start and see how it goes from there. Good luck and keep up the AA meetings.
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: The last person to have my number was DEFINITELY a criminal

Post by Drazzil »

Received a few strange phone calls looking for a person who use to own this number. Debt collectors are the norm. Also received calls or texts from previous "associates". Also received a call from the sheriffs department.

Restricted number "Is Dominic *blank* there?

Me : Nope, I've received a few calls for this guy. Can you take me off your list please?

Them: "This is the sheriffs dept we just called to tell him someones getting arrested"

Me: Oh! In that case I'd *really* like to be off your list please.

Them: We'll see what we can do about updating the info in our system.

Me: Thanks. Have a wonderful day!

:pop:
Jaymann

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: The last person to have my number was DEFINITELY a criminal

Post by Jaymann »

Just give them your drivers license number, credit card number and social security number and I'm sure they can straighten it out.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Well this person wasen't fishing for info at all (nor was I giving it to him) and given the suspicious nature of the calls/ texts I received beforehand lead me to beleive how I do. Might be simpler to call my carrier tomorrow and throw this number back.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Are any of your cats named Dominic?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:30 pm

Them: "This is the sheriffs dept we just called to tell him someones getting arrested"

Me: Oh! In that case I'd *really* like to be off your list please.
You've got someone the sheriff's office tipping you off to arrests and you want off their list? :snooty:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:30 pm

The sheriff's office doesn't usually inform criminals of others' arrests. It's more likely that it was a friend/relative who gave him as a contact, or someone who had also targeted him who had been caught.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I wish the person that had my # before me was that exciting. Instead, my number belonged to a uh...popular woman. It's been 10 years and I still get random "You up?" texts from dudes.
Maybe next year, maybe no go