Swifties unite!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Re: Swifties unite!

Post by McNutt »

My benchmark is still $40 to see Pink Floyd in the early 90s.The show was so good that my bi-polar friend had to be committed next day.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Exodor wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:20 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:01 pm So... any fellow Swifties pick up reputation?

I got it for Christmas, and it's rather disappointing. It's far too clubby for me, and the girl who sang "Shake it off" apparently can't as a fistful of the songs are revenge/hate fantasies. Bitter Taylor goes clubbing, basically.

My daughter has outgrown Taylor (she's 12 now and Taylor is Not Cool apparently). What I heard of Reputation didn't encourage me to seek it out on my own. I really liked "Red." I grew to tolerate 1989 but I can see the direction she's moving and I have no interest in it. Hopefully she'll return to the world of melody and musicianship after she tires of copying Nikki Minaj.
PIcked up Lover this week, and it's much more in the Red school. Probably 90% of the Club mixes are gone, the bitterness is mostly gone and the album is very refreshing after the bitterness of Reputation. Heck, you can even see it in the Album cover. She sounds like she's in a much better place.

Nice RS interview:
In some ways, on a musical level, Lover feels like the most indie-ish of your albums.

That’s amazing, thank you. It’s definitely a quirky record. With this album, I felt like I sort of gave myself permission to revisit older themes that I used to write about, maybe look at them with fresh eyes. And to revisit older instruments — older in terms of when I used to use them. Because when I was making 1989, I was so obsessed with it being this concept of Eighties big pop, whether it was Eighties in its production or Eighties in its nature, just having these big choruses — being unapologetically big. And then Reputation, there was a reason why I had it all in lowercase. I felt like it wasn’t unapologetically commercial. It’s weird, because that is the album that took the most amount of explanation, and yet it’s the one I didn’t talk about. In the Reputation secret sessions I kind of had to explain to my fans, “I know we’re doing a new thing here that I’d never done before.” I’d never played with characters before. For a lot of pop stars, that’s a really fun trick, where they’re like, “This is my alter ego.” I had never played with that before. It’s really fun. And it was just so fun to play with on tour — the darkness and the bombast and the bitterness and the love and the ups and the downs of an emotional-turmoil record.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Oh I'm loving Lover. I think it runs a little too long but I love the first 9 plus the early 2 singles as well. My favorite album of hers for sure. I'm actually hoping to go to her concert next year as it will be in the new LA stadium near where I live.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I forgot we had a Swifties thread. Yeah I'm really digging LOVER. This is the first album of hers that I've really followed from hint-dropping to fruition, so it's been kind of fun following along.

Really hoping she announces more US tour dates, as my daughter has been begging me to take her for 2 years now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Your daughter wants you to go huh?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Daehawk wrote:Your daughter wants you to go huh?
:ninja:
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I'm digging Lover too. Unfortunately my daughter is only into K-pop (BTS). No way in hell I can get her to a Swift concert and there's no way I'm going to a BTS concert.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

msduncan wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:27 pm I'm digging Lover too. Unfortunately my daughter is only into K-pop (BTS). No way in hell I can get her to a Swift concert and there's no way I'm going to a BTS concert.
LMAO. I've been a pop music fan my whole life, but I just flat out can't get into BTS and the Korean pop scene.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

OK so I just waited in (virtual) line so that I could register to become a "verified fan" so that in a few weeks I *might* get chosen to be allowed to order tickets for the concert. It's worse than trying to get a Blizzcon ticket back in the day lol.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The alternative is free range scalpers.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Grabbed folklore this week, haven't finished a first listen. It's very piano/keyboard oriented and soft and definitely not club-mix angry Taylor from Reputation (which is a good thing, in my book).

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've been told she makes a reference to both high heels and Dashboard Confessional. I approve.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I went into FOLKLORE the way a lot of other folks did. "Hastily assembled quarantine album, may be good for one listen but will ultimately be seen as a bonus one-off until her next REAL album."

Man, was I wrong. This is some of her best material, and showcases a new level of songwriting and musicianship that is somewhat jaw-dropping given how fast this came out...and under lockdown conditions no less. While the rest of us were sitting around eating Cheetos and binge-watching Netflix, Taylor was putting in work. Heck, I think even vocally she sounds like she's improved leaps and bounds on this album.

It's a pretty stunning piece of work.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Variety
Taylor Swift is bringing an “intimate” concert film for her latest album, “Folklore,” exclusively to Disney Plus just in time for Thanksgiving.

Swift and her collaborators on the album — The National’s Aaron Dessner, Jack Antonoff (Bleachers) and Justin Vernon (Bon Iver) — secretly recorded it earlier this year, thousands of miles apart from each other. They had never been in the same room together until they filmed the “Folklore: The Long Pond Studio Sessions” special.

In September 2020, Swift and the rest of the album’s personnel assembled for the first time together at Long Pond Studio in upstate New York (where The National recorded “Sleep Well Beast”) to perform all 17 songs on the album in order. The film will premiere exclusively on Disney Plus on Wednesday, Nov. 25, at 12:01 a.m. PT.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My daughter is sooo looking forward to that!

While we're on the subject, I ordered an autographed CD of Folklore a month ago and it never came, never came. I tracked it and it was just stuck in some town in NC, apparently lost in the transfer from UPS to USPS. I contacted UPS who wouldn't help me, and USPS was equally useless. I was really bummed, as this was a Christmas present.

I emailed the T-Swift store, told them my situation, and within 24 hours the very friendly support guy had replied back and had a replacement CD on the way. So at least in my one isolated experience, great customer service.
stessier

Post by stessier »

She is releasing another studio album tonight - Evermore.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:55 pm Variety
Taylor Swift is bringing an “intimate” concert film for her latest album, “Folklore,” exclusively to Disney Plus just in time for Thanksgiving.

Swift and her collaborators on the album — The National’s Aaron Dessner, Jack Antonoff (Bleachers) and Justin Vernon (Bon Iver) — secretly recorded it earlier this year, thousands of miles apart from each other. They had never been in the same room together until they filmed the “Folklore: The Long Pond Studio Sessions” special.

In September 2020, Swift and the rest of the album’s personnel assembled for the first time together at Long Pond Studio in upstate New York (where The National recorded “Sleep Well Beast”) to perform all 17 songs on the album in order. The film will premiere exclusively on Disney Plus on Wednesday, Nov. 25, at 12:01 a.m. PT.
My daughter started watching. I had to leave after the first 5 minutes. "COVID has been sooooo hard, I had to build a recording studio in my home and we made an album and then we rented this awesome place to hang and do a concert together, see, things are OK, hope it gives you hope!"
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:52 pm I went into FOLKLORE the way a lot of other folks did. "Hastily assembled quarantine album, may be good for one listen but will ultimately be seen as a bonus one-off until her next REAL album."

Man, was I wrong. This is some of her best material, and showcases a new level of songwriting and musicianship that is somewhat jaw-dropping given how fast this came out...and under lockdown conditions no less. While the rest of us were sitting around eating Cheetos and binge-watching Netflix, Taylor was putting in work. Heck, I think even vocally she sounds like she's improved leaps and bounds on this album.

It's a pretty stunning piece of work.
It's by far her best album. I've always rated "Red" as her best and "folklore" is the more-adult version of "Red" I never knew I needed.

I ruined "seven" for my fifteen year old this week by pointing out the second verse to her. It starts as a light fluffy remembrance of childhood:
Please picture me in the trees
I hit my peak at seven
Feet in the swing over the creek
I was too scared to jump in
But I, I was high in the sky
With Pennsylvania under me
Are there still beautiful things?
The after the chorus she drops this on us
And I've been meaning to tell you
I think your house is haunted
Your dad is always mad and that must be why
And I think you should come live with me
And we can be pirates
Then you won't have to cry
Or hide in the closet
And just like a folk song
Our love will be passed on
:shock: :cry:

I was hoping she'd talk about that second verse in the concert film but she didn't address it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I like Taylor ok but Ill say when Ive seen her sing live with older bands she has sucked and ruined the songs...especially Def Leppard.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
disarm

Post by disarm »

Daehawk wrote:I like Taylor ok but Ill say when Ive seen her sing live with older bands she has sucked and ruined the songs...especially Def Leppard.
I actually thought she did a great job on that episode of Crossroads. I'm a huge Def Leppard fan and really enjoyed it. Everyone's entitled to their opinion...
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Yes, I spent the evening listening to Taylor's re-release of Fearless. It's pretty faithful to the original although some songs are improved - I like the slightly less countrified "Forever and Always" and the new piano version of the same.

It makes me anxious to hear the re-recording of Speak Now which I think is a much stronger album.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Interesting thread on the legal maneuvers involved in Taylor Swift's sweet, sweet revenge:

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I listened to the complete Fearless (Taylor's Version) and was suitably entertained. I'm actually not very familiar with her earlier albums (anything pre-1989), so with the exception of a couple of the big songs I'd heard before it was like listening to a brand new album. I don't have a frame of reference having never heard the originals, so I can't say how it compares. But judging by the critical/fan reaction, she nailed it.

Also I'm not unaware that while I was basically playing video games, doing dull work from home, and getting fat, Taylor was recording two critically-acclaimed albums and re-recording an older album that unlike every other artist who has ever tried to do such a thing, actually *improved* it.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Taylor's Version of Red is out including a 10 minute version of "All Too Well" and... I need a moment. :oops: :wub:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah it's good.....real good. Rolling Stone gave the album 5 stars and it sounds like it's getting high critical acclaim.

I listened to the re-recording of "Everything Has Changed" which is one of my favorite songs off Red and was pretty much blown away. Who the hell re-records one of their classic songs and makes it *better*????? Taylor f-ing Swift, that's who! And how sweet that ten years later she gets her buddy Ed Sheeran to come back and re-record all his stuff too. I'm not crying, you're crying.

I think these re-recordings have been assisted by a couple of things. One is the ability to go back and tweak the production to take advantage of nearly 10 years of new tech. But the biggest I think is simply her voice. She's become a much better singer as she's matured, and her voice has really strengthened with time.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

She also directed a 15 minute short film for All Too Well

Does she ever rest? That's two new albums (the best two of her career I think), a re-recording of Red and this video in the past year and a half.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Whenever I see this thread I think it's about patrol boats in Vietnam.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

If a swift boat breaks up, there's unlikely to be a hit song forthcoming.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh, is this why she's on SNL tonight?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Hrothgar wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:04 pm If a swift boat breaks up, there's unlikely to be a hit song forthcoming.
Tell that to the Edmond Fitzgerald.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The exception that proves the rule.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For those that can't stay up late...

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Running the Table more than Alabama (for msd ;) )
Taylor Swift scores one of the most historic weeks in the 64-year history of the Billboard Hot 100 songs chart, as she becomes the first artist to claim the survey’s entire top 10 in a single frame.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Thats awesome.
Love it.

(Mostly direction, and as a result speed)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Who's the U Boat Commander?

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

For some reason when I saw German U Boat, I read Ukrainian sea drone. :oops:
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I listened to a couple of songs from the new album earlier to see if they would appeal to me. They did not. She has a tendency to elongate pauses or words to try and make them fit the beats in a measure, instead of naturally meeting those beats. Sometimes she’ll just run the words together to do that same. I’m sure it’s perfectly acceptable to musicians, but for some reason that has always bothered me when a singer does it.

But I am not a musician, so who am I to say what’s right or wrong.
Covfefe!