Canada 2015-22 and Beyond: New Hope or Phantom Menace?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Canada 2015-19: New Hope or Phantom Menace?

Post by Max Peck »

The Indian disdain for Canada runs a lot deeper than photo-op wardrobes. If this is the worst you can dig up, then the trip is going better than I thought. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

billion in deals during Trudeau visit

Trip is going ok, although there is some griping.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The snubbery isn't about business.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi hasn’t hidden his fondness for foreign leaders. He has embraced them, tweeted at them, and sent them birthday wishes—all in an effort to make India a global player in international affairs. So when Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, he of the perfect coiffure, high-voltage smile, and beautiful family arrived in New Delhi this week for a state visit, it should have been a perfect photo-op. Instead, neither Modi nor any of his senior ministers showed up to receive the Trudeaus.

Trudeau has smiled his way through India, however, meeting with business executives, signing billions of dollars worth of business deals, posing for photographs with Bollywood actors, and donning Indian attire befitting his own Indian wedding reception. The Indians, for their part, have denied the Canadian prime minister is being snubbed (one unnamed official went as far as to call it “protocol”). But a snub it is—and the diplomatic brush-off has its roots in an Indian separatist movement from the 1980s and present-day Canadian domestic politics.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah. We know.

That came out snarky. It wasn't intended that way.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Every article about the trip on Twitter brings out these cute little maga wannabes from the prairies. They are so pathetic, trying to rile themselves up. They really think they have it bad up here, it's mind boggling.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:04 pm Yeah. We know.

That came out snarky. It wasn't intended that way.
I'm betting that the subset of "we" that gets off on mocking Trudeau's pretty-boy image doesn't actually know a lot about the Sikh independence movement and it's impact on Canadian-Indian relations.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

So, Doug Ford Jr (the slightly less infamous brother of the late Rob Ford) is the new leader of the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario. Interesting times ahoy!

Holman

Post by Holman »

Headline:
Doug Ford is new Premier of Ontario; Canadians forfeit superiority to Donald Trump.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Technically, it should read "Ontarians forfeit superiority to Trump voters." :pop:

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Holman wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:31 pm Headline:
Doug Ford is new Premier of Ontario; Canadians forfeit superiority to Donald Trump.
:cry:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Holman

Post by Holman »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:39 pm Technically, it should read "Ontarians forfeit superiority to Trump voters." :pop:
It's hard to accept at first, and you have to work through a lot of nausea and rage, but eventually you'll realize that the rot is closer than you thought and that combating it will take everything you have.

Welcome to 2017, Canada. It sucks. We're with you.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ontario is kind of used to being a cesspool.

On a separate note, how knew that when you go to war with something (trade or otherwise) they might get indignant about the whole thing.

At this point I'm starting to think Drumpf envies the intellect of a bag of hammers (doorknobs?).

Post by Default »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:40 am Ontario is kind of used to being a cesspool.

On a separate note, how knew that when you go to war with something (trade or otherwise) they might get indignant about the whole thing.

At this point I'm starting to think Drumpf envies the intellect of a bag of hammers (doorknobs?).
Antique, hand crafted hammers (doorknobs), that he can use to weigh down a sack full of kittens for that special yacht trip he has planned.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Justin Trudeau's government his being shaken by his first major political scandal, which has led to two resignations form his cabinet.

The scandal stems from claims that Canadian officials inappropriately pressured a former justice minister to help a major construction company avoid a corruption trial.
https://www.businessinsider.com/justin- ... ign-2019-3
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

One resigned because they were implicated, one resigned because they were disgusted.
Treasury Board President Jane Philpott, who was in charge of government spending, resigned on Monday and attacked the government for its handling of claims it intervened to protect a major construction firm.

She is the second Cabinet minister to resign, following former justice minister Jody Wilson-Raybould, who is at the center of the scandal.
Philpott said in her resignation statement: "Sadly, I have lost confidence in how the government has dealt with this matter and in how it has responded to the issues raised."
Wilson-Raybould was demoted from justice minister to the post of veteran affairs minister in January, before the scandal became public knowledge.

She resigned from Cabinet on February 12, by which time reports had started to emerged of the corruption allegations.

She did not outline her reasons for resigning in her resignation letter to Trudeau, but wrote that Canadians "must stand together for the values that Canada is built on, and which are the foundation for our future."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

That's just the tip of the iceberg...
"Trudeau gave $600 million to the Clinton Foundation. The Clinton Foundation is part of child trafficking and child sacrifice, if you study it. It's in the pizzagate," he said.

"The PM, if he knows about the foundation, should he be in jail for that one? Also, he needs to pay back the $600 million plus his trips to the Canadians."

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

A taste of things to come, with a federal election just around the corner...

Catherine McKenna: Canada environment minister given extra security
Canada's environment minister says she has been assigned a security detail because of abuse she has received both online and in person.

Catherine McKenna said in one recent incident a man in a car pulled up alongside her and her children, swore and called her a "climate Barbie".

In Canada, government ministers rarely need high levels of protection.

The move comes as environmental campaigners, particularly women, report increasing levels of abuse.

Climate change has become a major issue in Canada's federal election in October, with the two main parties taking opposing views on the subject.
Online abuse has been going on since she was elected, she added, but in recent months public confrontations have become worse.

She said she had received messages that included sexualised insults and threats against her family. In person she has been called an enemy, a traitor and a "communist piece of garbage".

"The vocal sexism and hateful comments that are directed to people who work on climate change is unacceptable," she told AFP news agency.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

And we're off to the races.

PM Justin Trudeau calls Canadian general election for 21 October
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has called a federal election for 21 October.

Opinion polls are indicating it will be a tough race for Mr Trudeau, who is seeking a second term in office.

The campaign is expected to focus on issues of affordability, the economy and climate issues.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Oh boy.

Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Oh boy, again.

Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Has Trudeau done anything since entering politics that would be considered following a racist agenda? Or even showing insensitivity to any race, gender or ideology?
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The Trudeau scandals keep getting worse.

TRUDEAU MUST RESIGN IMMEDIATELY.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:59 pm Has Trudeau done anything since entering politics that would be considered following a racist agenda? Or even showing insensitivity to any race, gender or ideology?
Doesn't matter. It's 2019. We've established the rules and he done broke 'em.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:26 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:59 pm Has Trudeau done anything since entering politics that would be considered following a racist agenda? Or even showing insensitivity to any race, gender or ideology?
That doesn't seem to have hurt Democratic leadership here in Virginia. Northam is still governor and Herring is still AG.
Hodor.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

No, kind of the opposite. But a pundit on the CBC explained that actually makes him worse. As a politician, he's been "lecturing" (because he was a teacher, get it?) us about treating everyone equally regardless of race/gender/religion/whatever, but he's actually a hypocrite because he hasn't been an archetype of perfection at every moment during his own life.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:34 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:26 pm
That doesn't seem to have hurt Democratic leadership here in Virginia. Northam is still governor and Herring is still AG.
Not saying Trudeau needs to resign either.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

BTW, is no one talking about how grabby he is in that West Point Grey photo? And is that a student or fellow staffer?

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trudeau's coming up on an election. I've failed to follow Canadian politics, but does the scandal significantly hurt his chances?

His past behavior is privileged and gross, although I appreciate his willingness to apologize* and condemn it.

In the best of all worlds, this exposure would cause a national leader to meaningfully compensate and make amends by way of policy, appointments, and the bully pulpit. Any sign that that will happen?

Any sign that his opponent would do better?

(*Insert Canadian apology joke here)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Canadians would have to revolt against his party and deny it a majority in Parliament for Trudeau to not be PM again. I don't know if that would happen.
Hodor.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Oh for f's sake, wtf Trudeau? Goodness what a colossal display of repeated bad behavior on his part. I grew up in the 70s-80s and never once saw black face, has anyone here even once seen it in the wild? I just don't think someone of his age has any defense that it was just part of the times. Ugh.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The life of privilege runs a couple decades behind.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was born in 69 and the only black face I ever saw was in the old black and white movies / tv shows.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:50 pm I was born in 69 and the only black face I ever saw was in the old black and white movies / tv shows.
Blackface bullshit was apparently a staple of frat parties at Southern universities (or just conservative frats nationwide) well into the 80s and 90s. I remember something embarrassing erupting at Michigan when I was a grad student circa 1994.
Holman

Post by Holman »

A propos...

Everyone should listen to the 3rd episode of the 1619 Podcast (web version here), which does an amazing job of situating blackface performance in the history of American popular culture.

tl;dr: Blackface minstrelsy *is* American popular music through most of the 19th and into the 20th century precisely because of America's tortured relationship to slavery and racism. It continues far longer than most of us like to imagine. The real antidote and refutation comes only with Motown in the 1960s.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We should just assume everyone born before 2010 has a photo of them in blackface somewhere out there and move on.
Covfefe!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Enough wrote: I grew up in the 70s-80s and never once saw black face, has anyone here even once seen it in the wild?
I had a group of friends in college that dressed as four cockroaches and a can a Raid for one Halloween. The cockroaches had six legs, a sort of shelled back, and painted their faces brown. Obviously they didn’t all intend it to be a racist thing, but I remember them being yelled at on the street for wearing blackface. They hadn’t even thought of that at the time, but I’m sure looking back on it now they probably realize they were being naive.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:13 pm We should just assume everyone born before 2010 has a photo of them in blackface somewhere out there and move on.
We just need to bring in consultants to help politicians with this.
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Blackface must not be controversial enough among the Trump Lovers in my office. This morning, they are telling each other that the real issue is Trudeau is the secret love child of Fidel Castro.
I wish I was making this up.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

On the Conservative side of the spectrum, they already hate Trudeau just for existing -- being his father's son is the truly unforgivable sin. Where this will hurt the Liberals, if it does, is in peeling support on the left away and toward the NDP. Dividing the left/center vote between the NDP and Liberals is pretty much always the Conservative path to power.