Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Random randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

Makes me wonder what other eldritch horrors are contained at a Texas Coney Island place.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:24 pm Makes me wonder what other eldritch horrors are contained at a Texas Coney Island place.
You might want to meet the cook before ordering the "Dix Special."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:26 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:24 pm Makes me wonder what other eldritch horrors are contained at a Texas Coney Island place.
Yeah, I might end up with a Loose burger... :shock:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:29 pm
Holman wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:26 pm
Yeah, I might end up with a Loose burger... :shock:
I see they are from Detroit but I wouldn't trust them...

1) None of their pictures actually show a coney.
2) They don't say who makes their hotdogs
3) They grill their hot dog buns.

To your point, I don't think they're Eldrtch Horrors, I think they're Wes Craven horrors. "123 N Elm St"... Or perhaps Rocky Horrors as I hear they have the hottest fried potatos in all Denton. Yeah Denton, home of happiness.

Finally I assume the name has to do with Dix Road (expatriot OOer JimDave used to live off of Dix) Google seems to confirm this. Meeting the cook... Not so much... First thing google turned up...

(ad crazy don't click)

https://www.macombdaily.com/sports/cras ... a3e51.html
Lincoln Park police said Mydini was wanted for shooting Shpetim Maliqoski, 38, a cook at the Dix Coney Island on Dix and Cicotte streets. Sgt. Stu Howell said Mydini shot the man in the head with an AK47 automatic weapon.
No wait, finally finally, Dix is known for one thing and one thing only, which Trent Steel stayed by when he was in the area.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=chicks+on+dix

Apparently closed now.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It's interesting how conspiracy theories can infect the weirdest subjects.

Had a Twitter "discussion" with a troll, who's anti-medical establishment. The troll went on to cite a conspiracy that Ronald Reagan later "secretly" went to Germany and got treated by Hans Nieber, and Nancy Reagan got her husband on Laetrille treatment. But there is ZERO evidence of such. The ONLY legitimate links on Reagan and cancer is his operation in 1985 where a tumor was removed from his intestines. It was done by top surgeons at Bethesda. So basically, Reagan's survival was chalked up to a "hushed up" bogus cancer cure where the principals are ALL DEAD (Han Nieber died in 1998).

When pushed for evidence, the troll claimed that Nancy Reagan claimed so. When pushed for proof, troll tried to derail the conversation.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

On a webinar meeting today with me, my assistant, and a new client. Having a good discussion until the client reaches up for something, and bumps her camera. Which ends up pointed directly at her crotch, while she's wearing a very short skirt.

She somehow doesn't notice, so we're left averting our eyes, hoping to god she doesn't shift positions and give us a Basic Instinct moment. Sent a couple "shit, what do we do?" texts back and forth with my colleague. I mean, how do you tactfully tell someone that you met 10 minutes ago that you're staring at their crotch without it completely derailing the meeting?

Thankfully, he found the switch to kill the video for all participants (a function neither of us had ever had to use before, and didn't know existed) so we were able to avoid an extremely uncomfortable moment.

Ah, the joys of working in the new digital age... :oops:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If video wasn't crucial, why wasn't it a phone call?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've posted it before, but Rocky's Tacos here in Chicago still has my favorite menu item...which appeared on their menu shortly after a World Cup match with Mexico years ago.

Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:02 pm If video wasn't crucial, why wasn't it a phone call?
Don't get me started on our CEO's "face time" metrics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Couldn't you have just said, "Excuse me Betty, we can't see your face, can you please move your camera up?"
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Yeah, probably.

I think we just kinda froze...which can sometimes happen when you're suddenly and unexpectedly staring at a client's crotch. :lol:
stessier

Post by stessier »

South Carolina (my state) had that big Powerball winner last year that finally came forward to claim the prize early this year. I think it was like $1.25B or some such. The state got a pretty nice cut of that in taxes. Even though our infrastructure is crumbling around us, it was decided the best thing to do with those taxes was to send every tax paying family in the state a $50 check. It should come by the end of December. :grund:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

todays monday at work sucks. like getting hit in the face with a sack full of moldy cantaloupe.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

stessier wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:46 pm South Carolina (my state) had that big Powerball winner last year that finally came forward to claim the prize early this year. I think it was like $1.25B or some such. The state got a pretty nice cut of that in taxes. Even though our infrastructure is crumbling around us, it was decided the best thing to do with those taxes was to send every tax paying family in the state a $50 check. It should come by the end of December. :grund:
Take that $50 and buy some spray paint and liven up those crumbling bridges. Then again your best friend may need to use his $50 to bail you out.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:36 am The ONLY legitimate links on Reagan and cancer is his operation in 1985 where a tumor was removed from his intestines. It was done by top surgeons at Bethesda.
Didn't (not to support the troll, because this is a different topic) Reagan also have a spot of melanoma taken off his nose?

Too much horse-riding in the California sun.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:27 pm Yeah, probably.

I think we just kinda froze...which can sometimes happen when you're suddenly and unexpectedly staring at a client's crotch. :lol:
You could have just moved all your cameras to your own crotches so she’d get the hint...or as a sign of solidarity.
Covfefe!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm having some gum issues so I got some original Listerine.
If you never hear from me again it's because I took it twice!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:40 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:27 pm Yeah, probably.

You could have just moved all your cameras to your own crotches so she’d get the hint...or as a sign of solidarity.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:03 pm I'm having some gum issues so I got some original Listerine.
If you never hear from me again it's because I took it twice!
I didn't know they still made that horrible stuff. Their normal stuff is nice. But I grew up on that chemical cleaning product one. I really wasn't sure I was being given real mouthwash back then.
Holman

Post by Holman »

As long as we're talking teeth...

My 15yo kid had a root canal today. His braces had stressed the one tooth he has with a filling, leaving it open to an infection that then attacked the nerve.

The funny part: when it was all done (including the numbing and painkillers), I asked 15yo how he felt. He laughed and said it was fine, singling out the office Muzak for attention. The nurse told me that he couldn't stop laughing at the soundtrack that he repeatedly called "No-Royalty Jazz."

I have no idea where he got that one, but I love it.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm not even on nitrous and that is funny
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I thought my insomnia had went away for a while but it lasted only 2 nights. In fact I was afraid I was too sleepy the last two nights.

After a week and weekend of semi insomnia I got super sleepy at 11:30pm Sunday Night and went to bed. Just couldn't stay awake. I slept solid until 10am.

Monday night I didn't get sleepy until late. I was starting to worry Id not sleep but I fell asleep about 4am. I remember waking up around 10:30 am but I couldn't get awake enough to get up. I kept trying to see the clock but kept falling asleep. When Id open my eyes it was like they were super dry and I just kept sleeping. I finally was able to get up at 2pm.

And I guess that late start screwed me up this time. I couldn't sleep at all last night. I tried and tried. Id try an hour or two then watch tv hoping to get sleepy. I went to bed around 2am feeling like Id sleep but no. So my plan now is to try and stay up all day and maybe sleep tonight. I haven't been up all night in nearly a year.

Didn't help I have a itchy throat cough all night. Cough cough cough all the time. The weather is cooler and the change must be why. Plus for some reason my forearm muscles are both sore and I didn't do anything yesterday.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote: "No-Royalty Jazz."
It is truly an American invention.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Awww ding dang it. This is happening not that far away from me. A vintage toy convention where you can view stuff and buy stuff...even play D&D. Dont have the cash to bother. Maybe another year. But looks neat. I bet I had a ton of the toys they'll have on tables.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I subscribe to ESPN+, so I get the ESPN magazine for free. The last issue was the Body Issue. My wife asked me to keep it so she could look at it. It's been two weeks so I went to throw it out but she hadn't read it. She grabbed it and started flipping through it. 5 minutes later I walked by and was astounded...she was reading the articles!! I didn't even know that issue had text.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

From Blues News today:
A big thanks to reader JZ Temple for figuring out what was triggering the malware warning here and posting it to the forums. It turned out to be an image embedded in the story about the Borderlands 3 hotfix. We almost never embed external images like that, so it seems fluky this went so badly, but I guess that's a lesson learned. The image, which is still present in the article, is hosted on cloudfront, and trying to open it in a new window continues to trigger warnings. It's probably a false positive, but I've removed the link to the image here, so the warnings here should go away, which is all that matters. Apologies for the scare, and thanks for alerting me to the problem.
Is this OUR JZ Temple? :think:
-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wondered that too.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:53 am I subscribe to ESPN+, so I get the ESPN magazine for free. The last issue was the Body Issue. My wife asked me to keep it so she could look at it. It's been two weeks so I went to throw it out but she hadn't read it. She grabbed it and started flipping through it. 5 minutes later I walked by and was astounded...she was reading the articles!! I didn't even know that issue had text.
There were some fascinating interviews with some of the Body profiles. ESPN went all out for their last magazine issue.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:36 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:53 am I subscribe to ESPN+, so I get the ESPN magazine for free. The last issue was the Body Issue. My wife asked me to keep it so she could look at it. It's been two weeks so I went to throw it out but she hadn't read it. She grabbed it and started flipping through it. 5 minutes later I walked by and was astounded...she was reading the articles!! I didn't even know that issue had text.
There were some fascinating interviews with some of the Body profiles. ESPN went all out for their last magazine issue.
It was just a joke to reinforce stereotypes. I read some of the articles and they were quite good...but it wasn't the first thing I did. I flipped through the whole thing and then went back. She was reading it one page at a time, front to back.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anything to know about moving and raising a wild grape / wild muscadine vine?

About 15 - 20 years ago it seems my father n law sold a small strip of the yard on one side to that neighbor on that side. Its just a small strip maybe 25' wide. It was edged with a wire fence and trees. The neighbor left it alone though and we continued to use it. Our clothes line was there along with a rose bush that was my father n laws mother's offshoot, and a apple tree. Well when my FiL passed away the neighbor moved right in on it. He mowed down the rose bush before I could even get a piece of it to replant elsewhere. He cut the apple tree down and then pulled up the half of the clothes line pole on his side. This year he cut all those trees down so now its one big open space on that side of my home. Lovely. He parks his carry trailer there .

Anyways we had a wild grape or muscadine vine that was on that property. Its gone but I have a bush on my side that has it growing in it now. Seems birds use the bush and poop out seeds. Theres all kinds of overgrowth I need to clean out of that bush but Id like to keep the vine...just somewhere else. Is there anything to know about doing this?

Like...do I just dig it up and move it? Do I wait on grapes to grow next year then save those seeds? Will a cutting work? Just how and when I do this will be important I know. I have a lot of cutting to do to keep my trees and bushes alive. Theres Kudzu moving into the place and its got to go.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I straightened my sleep out...almost. I went to bed dead tired at 11:30pm last night with the plan to be up at 8am. It would have been fixed if Id done so. But not me no sir ree. At 8 I was wide awake and I remember thinking. Wow Im wide awake. It wont hurt if I lay here a few minutes then turn on the tv. No way Ill fall back asleep. DOH! I fell back asleep. I woke up at 1pm and said to hell with it and turned over. Got up at 4pm. So I slept about 16 hours.

Now I have no idea when Ill sleep again. Ill try tonight about 3am if nothing else Ill stay up yet again and try to fix it the next night.

Theres something different about my morning self. At night I have all these plans then in my groggy waking state I make stupid decisions until Im good and away for reals. Its like Im a different person in the morning. Never ever been a morning person though. Was always a night owl. Hard to change in just a few months after 30+ years of being up at night.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'd set an 'emergency backstop' alarm. take a different alarm and place it somewhere else in the room (away from the sleeping spot) with the _absolute latest_ time you can wake up, preferably with a distinctive alarm noise, and set it LOUD (and triggered to go off daily.)

for example, if 11AM is the _absolute latest_ you can wake up with out affecting your going to sleep that night, set it for that. over time, you'll recognize that as the 'oh no' alarm that you ignore at your peril.

and ofc many things can be made into alarms - PC (desktop or notebook, with a free application), tablets, phones (even feature phones), probably even the TV... alarm clocks/clock radios are also suuuuuper cheap at Goodwill/Value Village/thrift stores in general.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Or just be a creature of the night, if that's what comes naturally. Let your body set its own schedule. Nothing's compelling you to conform to a conventional sleep/wake cycle.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I know I'm getting ready to go to bed now. I'll get up in a couple of hours and stay up 2-3 hours before going back to bed.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That was normal in preindustrial times. Sleep at sundown; get up for a nosh around midnight; sleep again til dawn.

My normal routine is bed at 2 am, wake at 8:30, nap from 5-6 pm. Works fine as long as I get my nap. I get cranky if I miss it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:47 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:19 pm This morning I noticed my 9yo had a Calvin & Hobbes collection checked out from the library. I proudly told him that I had the complete Calvin & Hobbes in the closet in my office.

Son: Can I read it?
Me: No.
Lol.

I was a huge Calvin and Hobbes fan (wasn't everyone?) until I discovered Bloom County, then C&H just wouldn't do it for me.

And now, for $15, you can own (probably close to) everything Bloom County from Humble Bundle.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:32 pm We’re just traumatizing. But a well rested Hepcat is a happy Hepcat. These days I’m the one who doesn’t sleep.
Spoke too soon. 3 in the morning and I can’t sleep. Probably going to just go into the office in a little bit and just work until I’m about to drop off, then go home and try to nap. :(
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still awake. Was hoping to at least nap.

EDIT: On the plus side Ive discovered a show Ive never seen called Van Helsing. Seems to have come out in 2016. Its weird and offbeat. And theres a marathon on this morning.

EDIT2: Ok its really weird.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Got to sleep finally and was able to catch 3 hours of zzzz's before coming into the office. Must remember to renew my Ambien prescription though!

As for Van Helsing, I think that's been around a while. I seem to remember it getting good buzz. I've been meaning to give it a try as it's on Netflix.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:26 am Got to sleep finally and was able to catch 3 hours of zzzz's before coming into the office. Must remember to renew my Ambien prescription though!
Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go