The Surge 2 - Sci-Fi Souls-like

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

The Surge 2 - Sci-Fi Souls-like

Post by coopasonic »

This is pretty much a post just for me since GreenGoo went AWOL. The Surge 2 comes out tomorrow (9/24) and I am excited. I finished the original on PS4 including finishing NG+ and getting the platinum trophy then bought it again on steam to play through it again with all the DLC. Needless to say I am a big fan and am very excited about the release tomorrow.

Actually Steam is saying it unlocks in 7 hours. I am not sure what's up with that, but you can bet I will be trying to play the second I get home from work (it's already pre-loaded).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Re: The Surge 2 - Sci-Fi Souls-like

Post by stimpy »

I tried oh so hard to get into The Surge, but the constant back and forth finally wore me down.
Guess I'm not a souls-like liker.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It should mostly be forth, the back is usually pretty quick (the dying, I mean).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I got lost a lot of times in the second location in the first one and never went back.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:37 am I got lost a lot of times in the second location in the first one and never went back.
One video I watched compared the map for 2 to fractals, so... that might be worse.

I got almost two hours in and got through the tutorial and started exploring the open world a bit. The tutorial miniboss was pretty easy and I've already seen more enemy variety and weapon variety than I saw in the first one. Upgrade materials are easier to come by and basically unlimited which is a nice improvement over the original. if you want to upgrade arms to Mk II, chop Mk II arms for materials. They've added tagging like the Dark Souls games, but it uses iconography which is pretty cool... arrow + skull, gee I wonder what that means. :D It's a clever way to bypass localization challenges.

Anyway, I doubt anyone is surprised that I am enjoying it. I'm really looking forward to the weekend when I can really dig in.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:37 am I got lost a lot of times in the second location in the first one and never went back.
Ha! Pretty much the same thing here. :(

I was intrigued by the review posted on GT but then I remember how little I actually played the first one. Thank goodness I waited until it was free.
-mf
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I have part 1 installed on my PS4 but I haven't played it yet. Hopefully I can get to it soon and then I can move on to part 2.
FTE
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I quite enjoyed the first one until I got into the basement areas (maybe area 4 or 5?) and was facing off against things with crazy reach and high damage. Nanite-driven nightmares, basically. I fought them for a while, but wasn't enjoying it much after that.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I finally made it to the first real boss. I didn't have much time before I had to go to work but he successfully killed me twice. I figured out I was using an implant that does less damage to robots so I need to ditch that... and learn how to parry.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I finished up the first playthrough this morning. No bosses as hard as some of the harder bosses in the surge. The variety of weapons, armors and implants is huge, like almost insanely so. Also lots more quests. Worth it, even if it was easier than I would have liked.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter