SCIENCE and things like that

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: SCIENCE and things like that

Post by Daehawk »

Like my first post on the 6 finger people...Here is an entire family with 6 fingers per hand. I guess if you are born with only 5 in that family you are a freak.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The coming end of spherical aberration:
It’s a problem that’s existed for thousands of years with optical devices, and one that was assumed to be unsolvable until a Mexican physicist developed a mind-melting formula that could revolutionize how lenses are manufactured.
But that’s all going to change thanks to Rafael G. González-Acuña, a doctoral student at Mexico’s Tecnológico de Monterrey. After months of work, he managed to come up with a mind-melting equation that provides an analytical solution for counteracting spherical aberration, which had been previously formulated back in 1949 as the Wasserman-Wolf problem which stumped scientists for decades.

To the average person, that equation is probably just more confirmation that a career in physics and mathematics wasn’t for them. But for lens makers, it can provide an exact blueprint for designing a lens that completely eliminates any spherical aberration. It doesn’t matter the size of the lens, the material it’s made from, or what it will be used for, this equation will spit out the exact numbers needed to design it to be optically perfect.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Neat but numbers only take you so far. Going to still need a machine to do it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:08 pm Neat but numbers only take you so far. Going to still need a machine to do it.
The Meal

lol, 3rd grade stuff

Post by The Meal »

"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I expect you to have it solved by Friday.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

It's solved numerically, and values are fed into the machine which shapes the lens. Easy peasy, actually.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

More evidence the Titanic is rotting away.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49420935
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Surprised Pikachu
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:27 am That's one small step for tardigrades...one giant leap for water bears. Dessicated tardigrades might have survived a crash landing on the moon.
I think I've read that the Chicxulub asteroid (the dinosaur-killer) threw debris high enough into space to be captured by the moon. This included organic matter.

In addition to tardigrades, there are probably dinosaur bits on the moon.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:52 am
Kraken wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:27 am That's one small step for tardigrades...one giant leap for water bears. Dessicated tardigrades might have survived a crash landing on the moon.
I think I've read that the Chicxulub asteroid (the dinosaur-killer) threw debris high enough into space to be captured by the moon. This included organic matter.

In addition to tardigrades, there are probably dinosaur bits on the moon.
Earth has been infested with life for most of its history, and has experienced many asteroid strikes over the eons. Earthly organics have regularly peppered the moon and Mars, and probably even reach the outer planets occasionally. Some believe that Earth life might have been seeded from elsewhere via the same mechanism. Apollo astronauts left hundreds of bags of waste on the moon, and some of those bacteria could conceivably still be alive after 50 years; wherever humans go, microbes follow. But those were hitchhikers. Just this year, China sent plants to the moon. But those quickly died, and these tardinauts are the first intentional spacecraft passengers that have a high chance of still being viable.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They'll evolve and return to wipe us out one day for leaving them there.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Long distance quantum entanglement transmission

I hope the rates are low. (Kids, ask your parents.)
The quantum internet promises absolutely tap-proof communication and powerful distributed sensor networks for new science and technology. However, because quantum information cannot be copied, it is not possible to send this information over a classical network. Quantum information must be transmitted by quantum particles, and special interfaces are required for this. The Innsbruck-based experimental physicist Ben Lanyon, who was awarded the Austrian START Prize in 2015 for his research, is investigating these important intersections of a future quantum Internet.

Now his team at the Department of Experimental Physics at the University of Innsbruck and at the Institute of Quantum Optics and Quantum Information of the Austrian Academy of Sciences has achieved a record for the transfer of quantum entanglement between matter and light. For the first time, a distance of 50 kilometers was covered using fiber optic cables. "This is two orders of magnitude further than was previously possible and is a practical distance to start building inter-city quantum networks," says Ben Lanyon.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why does it even need fiber? Im lost. I thought quantums covering infinite distance instantly.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:02 pm Why does it even need fiber? Im lost. I thought quantums covering infinite distance instantly.
The information covers the distance instantly. You still have to separate the two photons.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:16 pm
The information covers the distance instantly. You still have to separate the two photons.
You can use a steak knife. Cleavers are overkill.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just tonight I learned of a device called a 5 needle telegraph. I never knew there was such a thing. Seems early railroads used them. I guess this was before the morse code ones.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Color changing ink

Imagine if, rather than buy your favorite shoes in blue or red, you could buy one pair of shoes and change the color depending on how you feel each day. Maybe you'd decide to add multicolored flames or zebra print. A new, reprogrammable ink might let you do just that. PhotoChromeleon Ink, developed by MIT's Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL), can change the color or pattern of an object when exposed to UV light.

The CSAIL team mixed cyan, magenta and yellow photochromic dyes into a solution that they spray on objects -- anything from shoes to cars, phone cases and toys. A coated object is then placed in a box with a projector and UV light. Users map the color or pattern they want into a program, which uses the UV light to activate and deactivate different colors. The colors last in natural light, and if you aren't happy with the design, you can use the UV light to erase it and start again. For objects the size of a shoe or a model car, the process can take between 15 and 40 minutes.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Famous Viking warrior was a woman:
More than a millennium ago in what’s now southeastern Sweden, a wealthy Viking warrior was laid to rest, in a resplendent grave filled with swords, arrowheads, and two sacrificed horses. The site reflected the ideal of Viking male warrior life, or so many archaeologists had thought.

New DNA analyses of the bones, however, confirm a revelatory find: the grave belonged to a woman.

Since the late 1880s, archaeologists had viewed the “Birka warrior” through this lens; textbooks had listed the grave as belonging to a man, but not because the bones themselves said so. Since the remains were found alongside swords, arrowheads, a spear, and two sacrificed horses, archaeologists had considered it a warrior’s grave—and, thus, a man’s.

As National Geographic magazine reported in its March 2017 cover story on Vikings, that all changed when Stockholm University bioarchaeologist Anna Kjellström closely examined the warrior’s pelvic bones and mandible for the first time. Their dimensions appeared to match those typical of a woman.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Will that make her the Burqa warrior?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not very feminine I suppose.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:58 pm Not very feminine I suppose.
Why would a female warrior not be feminine? A woman doesn't need to be subservient to be a female?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A feminine female wouldn't make a great viking. Think about it. Plus they couldn't even tell it was a female skeleton. So as a warrior viking do you think Gina Carano or Brittany Spears would make a better one? A viking woman had to be tough..a warrior much tougher.

If you flip it around Carson Kressley would make a better runway model than Arnold Schwarzenegger. :)

You dont have to turn a blind eye to common sense to be a modern forward thinking man. Just dont over do it.
A woman doesn't need to be subservient to be a female?
I dont get why you ask that question. Of course she doesn't have to be. She can be a warrior. I just dont see that woman being super feminine. This was a fighter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think you're missing the forest for the trees here. Her femininity isn't really important, its the fact that this type of burial had only been seen with male Vikings - so much so that for over a century, they assumed she was a he. So regardless of how she carried herself (and we'll likely never know that), Vikings clearly thought she was worthy of a warriors burial - which is kind of a big deal.
Hedenstierna-Jonson and her colleagues say that the woman was likely a warrior—and a respected tactician, at that. “On her lap she had gaming pieces,” said Hedenstierna-Jonson in a previous interview. “This suggests that she was the one planning the tactics and that she was a leader.”
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:26 am A feminine female wouldn't make a great viking. Think about it. Plus they couldn't even tell it was a female skeleton. So as a warrior viking do you think Gina Carano or Brittany Spears would make a better one? A viking woman had to be tough..a warrior much tougher.

If you flip it around Carson Kressley would make a better runway model than Arnold Schwarzenegger. :)

You dont have to turn a blind eye to common sense to be a modern forward thinking man. Just dont over do it.
A woman doesn't need to be subservient to be a female?
I dont get why you ask that question. Of course she doesn't have to be. She can be a warrior. I just dont see that woman being super feminine. This was a fighter.
"Super feminine" isn't really a thing until you have a comfortably sedentary aristocratic class and a middle class attempting to imitate them.

The farmer's wife works as hard as the farmer. She might even have more stamina in doing it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Quanta Magazine
In 2010, physicists in Germany reported that they had made an exceptionally precise measurement of the size of the proton, the positively charged building block of atomic nuclei. The result was very puzzling.

Randolf Pohl of the Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics and collaborators had measured the proton using special hydrogen atoms in which the electron that normally orbits the proton was replaced by a muon, a particle that’s identical to the electron but 207 times heavier. Pohl’s team found the muon-orbited protons to be 0.84 femtometers in radius — 4% smaller than those in regular hydrogen, according to the average of more than two dozen earlier measurements.

If the discrepancy was real, meaning protons really shrink in the presence of muons, this would imply unknown physical interactions between protons and muons — a fundamental discovery. Hundreds of papers speculating about the possibility have been written in the near-decade since.

But hopes that the “proton radius puzzle” would upend particle physics and reveal new laws of nature have now been dashed by a new measurement reported on Sept. 6 in Science.

After Pohl’s muonic hydrogen result nine years ago, a team of physicists led by Eric Hessels of York University in Toronto set out to remeasure the proton in regular, “electronic” hydrogen. Finally, the results are in: Hessels and company have pegged the proton’s radius at 0.833 femtometers, give or take 0.01, a measurement exactly consistent with Pohl’s value. Both measurements are more precise than earlier attempts, and they suggest that the proton does not change size depending on context; rather, the old measurements using electronic hydrogen were wrong.
morlac

Post by morlac »

gbasden wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:03 am
Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:58 pm Not very feminine I suppose.
Why would a female warrior not be feminine? A woman doesn't need to be subservient to be a female?
She needed more boob armor.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We are so very dead

stessier

Post by stessier »

Wow. That is really amazing.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well they're out of a job.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:30 am Wow. That is really amazing.
Eh - I could do that. Probably.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now if they cross those with the Disney bots...

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Damn toasters. Are the Battlestars online yet?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Neat. But now my head hurts. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
morlac

Post by morlac »

It's time for a talk about safety people. Black Hole safety in particular. Welcome to Black Hole week!

edit: crap should of put this in space thread...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Toy car runs on the walls and even the ceiling.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »