tesla motors

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: tesla motors

Post by Zaxxon »

Whelp, I have now Netflix and charged. So, that's a thing.

Loving Joe Mode--makes the AP engage/disengage chimes, turn signals, etc much quieter.

The driving visualizations are much improved in a bunch of small ways--better lane change animation, can zoom/rotate the view to see what the car sees, there are fewer dancing cars when stopped at a light.

AP seems to nag sooner if hands are off (good!) but also better detects hands that are on without needing to artificially tug on the wheel (even better!).

Haven't tried Cuphead as I don't have a compatible controller.

The app now allows window venting remotely, and improves the flow to defrost.

Smart Summon is... Acceptable? It's cool, but mainly as a party trick. Needs revision to more accurately get the small stuff right (like pulling up to the curb at an angle that a human would).

My kids will love Caraoke. It's well-implemented and has a lot of songs. Can independently toggle lyrics (when stopped) and lead vocal audio on/off.

Bluetooth album art consistently works! Bluetooth playlist browsing!

Also, Spotify!
telcta

Post by telcta »

Nice. I'll have to look into this Joe Mode more. I don't mind the turn signal volume but the auto pilot engaging and disengaging is loud (to me). If that softens those chimes then I'll be setting Joe Mode.

I was surprised at how many songs are available for Caraoke, that's going to be a lot of fun. THere's a whole section of just German language songs so now I can practice my German screeching horribly at the top of my lungs.

I really want to play around with Summon but that makes me nervous. I'll probably scout out an empty parking lot in an industrial park over the weekend to try it out.

I did try Netflix over cellular and that looked (and sounded) really good.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Finally got the update. How do you turn on Joe Mode (is it named after Biden)? Not intuitive, Musk!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote:Finally got the update. How do you turn on Joe Mode (is it named after Biden)? Not intuitive, Musk!
For some reason it's under Safety and Security.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And it's named after some Twitter dude who asked for the feature.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have had my car for a little over a year. This morning I learned how to turn the high beams off. Apparently I turned them on by accident at some point.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:05 pm I have had my car for a little over a year. This morning I learned how to turn the high beams off. Apparently I turned them on by accident at some point.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:05 pm I have had my car for a little over a year. This morning I learned how to turn the high beams off. Apparently I turned them on by accident at some point.
I actually don't know how to do that either. I've also never used auto-pilot. :ninja:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The NHTSA is usually very TESLA friendly but not so much right now

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2019/I ... -76719.pdf

Various sites are reporting TESLA is being accuse of software updates to mask safety hazards.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2966 ... e-reports/
The September 17 petition, sent by the Law Offices of Edward C. Chen, which represents the Tesla owners, said that some of the over-the-air Tesla battery management system updates (specifically updates 2019.16.1 and 2019.16.2, in May 2019) lowered the overall range of the electric vehicles. The average range loss was around 25 to 30 miles, the letter says, but some owners lost as much as 50 miles of range. Tesla told Reuters that because of the update, "A very small percentage of owners of older Model S and Model X vehicles (pictured above) may have noticed a small reduction in range when charging to a maximum state of charge following a software update designed to improve battery longevity."

Exactly what "battery longevity" means here wasn't made clear. NHTSA now wants to get the data from Tesla to evaluate if the updates were actually made because of the fires. NHTSA wants Tesla to provide information and documents regarding the OTA software updates the company made in 2019 that "limit the maximum battery capacity of maximum cell charging voltage of the high-voltage battery." Specifically, NHTSA is interested in:
Right now it's investigation but it appears to be being taken more serious than many

https://insideevs.com/news/380005/nhtsa ... la-updates
The NHTSA has a 120-day deadline to respond to defect petitions. The agency is said to fail to comply with this deadline most of the time, but it has taken exactly 38 days to address this one.
My personal problem is that I can no longer identify when something is a legit red flag or when agencies are being used for political motivation, as there is most definitely a war for the contemporary way we are to be powering our nation going on in DC and it doesn't manifest itself in the news every day.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I don't like the new creep, it feels like you're pushing through molasses. Is there any way to turn it off?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:00 pm I don't like the new creep, it feels like you're pushing through molasses. Is there any way to turn it off?
Yes. This was added as a third option (Hold, I believe). The old creep and roll options are still there in settings.

I'm still undecided. I love it while actually driving, as I can usually come to a complete stop at lights without touching the brake. But when backing out of the garage I agree that it feels like there's resistance since I'm used to just rolling back out.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:29 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:00 pm I don't like the new creep, it feels like you're pushing through molasses. Is there any way to turn it off?
Yes. This was added as a third option (Hold, I believe). The old creep and roll options are still there in settings.

I'm still undecided. I love it while actually driving, as I can usually come to a complete stop at lights without touching the brake. But when backing out of the garage I agree that it feels like there's resistance since I'm used to just rolling back out.
I was in the same place, but I got over it. I am now adapted to pushing my way down the driveway. Next time I drive my wife's car I will likely rocket out of the garage and through the neighbor's fence. (not really, that thing is so damn slow I hope I figure it out before we're all dead)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I need someone to check my math. Work is going to start charging for charging. Our work charging infrastructure is chargepoint level 2. 32 amps at 240v = 7680KWh. They are going to charge 75 cents per hour so 9.765 cents per hour. So this is a tiny bit cheaper than charging at home (10.609 cents per hour). The kicker being that if I go over 5 hours of charging at work, it goes from 75 cents per hour to twenty dollars per hour. That kills any possible advantage to charging at work beyond convenience.

Now I don't drive much so I am not spending a bunch either way. 9207 miles in 15 months = 614 miles per month averaging 267Wh/mile = 164KWh/month or $16.01/month at work or $17.40/month at home. Putting that in gas terms in my old car 21mpg premium at $2.60/gallon = $76.02/month so I guess I'll keep the (faster) car.

I wonder if paying for electricity will make any difference in my driving efficiency. :)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:38 pm I need someone to check my math. Work is going to start charging for charging. Our work charging infrastructure is chargepoint level 2. 32 amps at 240v = 7680W. They are going to charge 75 cents per hour so 9.765 cents per kWh, around $0.11/kWh after charging losses . So this is a tiny bit cheaper than charging at home (10.609 cents per hour assuming you didn't include losses at home, either). The kicker being that if I go over 5 hours of charging at work, it goes from 75 cents per hour to twenty dollars per hour. That kills any possible advantage to charging at work beyond convenience since moving your car halfway through the day is not convenient, either.
FTFY.
Now I don't drive much so I am not spending a bunch either way. 9207 miles in 15 months = 614 miles per month averaging 267Wh/mile = 164KWh/month or $16.01/month at work or $17.40/month at home. Putting that in gas terms in my old car 21mpg premium at $2.60/gallon = $76.02/month so I guess I'll keep the (faster) car.
You're putting more into the Tesla than the in-car Wh/mi would suggest, as that doesn't count preconditioning, idle energy use, etc. But I don't think that'll take you from $17.40 to $76.03. :)
I wonder if paying for electricity will make any difference in my driving efficiency. :)
I think we both know the answer to that one.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Thanks. Damn units, there's a reason I said I needed someone to check my math. I don't talk electric!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It really amps me up. I can't put up any resistance.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ohm my god...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Watt?
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

You and half the drivers out there of any brand of vehicle, especially pickup trucks. :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Is there a reason why Tesla's website will only show the Standard Range Plus model (and not the base Standard Range model) if I go to their website and mess around with the customization/ordering tool?
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:42 am Is there a reason why Tesla's website will only show the Standard Range Plus model (and not the base Standard Range model) if I go to their website and mess around with the customization/ordering tool?
You have to order the base SR by calling a showroom. They really seem to be keeping the base around just for those who really, really want it. The SR+ is the 'base' model that they actually want to sell. I believe it's about a $3500 premium although they've changed the pricing a few times lately so I could be off. Nets you additional range and a bunch of interior features (eg more speakers enabled, heated front seats, phone charging dock).
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:51 am
pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:42 am Is there a reason why Tesla's website will only show the Standard Range Plus model (and not the base Standard Range model) if I go to their website and mess around with the customization/ordering tool?
You have to order the base SR by calling a showroom. They really seem to be keeping the base around just for those who really, really want it. The SR+ is the 'base' model that they actually want to sell. I believe it's about a $3500 premium although they've changed the pricing a few times lately so I could be off. Nets you additional range and a bunch of interior features (eg more speakers enabled, heated front seats, phone charging dock).
It's closer to $4500 now for Standard Range Plus, but all those extra features are definitely something I would want, should I ever buy a Model 3 (my boss has one, and damn, that sound system kicks ass).

Also, $7,000 for full self driving!
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:08 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:51 am
Minor nit to pick - it's a $4500 premium right now ($35000 vs $39500), but I do get why Tesla would want to promote the more expensive model.

Also, $7,000 for full self driving!
I think the base is now $36k, but I could be wrong.

And yes, I agree that $7k for FSD is insane. I have FSD on our 3, as I got it for much less than that (but I did have to pay for AP back in the ancient days of yore when I got my car), but we did not order it on our X. It was $6k then and that's still insane to me. I really wish they'd offer a middle-ground option that gets you the auto lane change, Navigate on Autopilot, and basic Summon. I'd probably add that to the X, but I am not dropping $7k for that stuff.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I stealth edited while you were replying to me, my bad!

Anyway, if I were to order one, I would likely go Standard Range Plus for the extra interior goodies and keeping the RWD option, but as you said, $7k for the full self driving is definitely a bit much.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Since you mentioned the sound system (which I agree is fantastic--it's better than the B&W system I had on a prior car, which was the 'fanciest' sound system I've had in any car. It really is fantastic, and this is coming from someone who used to sell home theater setups that could run as much as an SR+ Tesla), I have to point out that the best system is only available in the Premium interior, which is only on the LR or P 3 trims.

But hey, if you want to drop that money you save on FSD, you could do worse than going LR. With that interior, you also get heated rears, the full sound system, satellite maps, Spotify/Slacker/Tunein/Caraoke, and fogs. And, uh, floor mats? Come on, Tesla. You shouldn't be selling a $40k car without mats.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:19 pm Since you mentioned the sound system (which I agree is fantastic--it's better than the B&W system I had on a prior car, which was the 'fanciest' sound system I've had in any car. It really is fantastic, and this is coming from someone who used to sell home theater setups that could run as much as an SR+ Tesla), I have to point out that the best system is only available in the Premium interior, which is only on the LR or P 3 trims.

But hey, if you want to drop that money you save on FSD, you could do worse than going LR. With that interior, you also get heated rears, the full sound system, satellite maps, Spotify/Slacker/Tunein/Caraoke, and fogs. And, uh, floor mats? Come on, Tesla. You shouldn't be selling a $40k car without mats.
I'll have to ask my boss which particular model she bought.

For now, though, a Tesla is pretty much just a dream, since I still have two and a half years left on a note for the Accord I bought last year.
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:19 pm But hey, if you want to drop that money you save on FSD, you could do worse than going LR. With that interior, you also get heated rears, the full sound system, satellite maps, Spotify/Slacker/Tunein/Caraoke, and fogs. And, uh, floor mats? Come on, Tesla. You shouldn't be selling a $40k car without mats.
and if you are going LR it's just a few grand more for the stealth performance model which is also an off the books option. :twisted:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote:
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:19 pm But hey, if you want to drop that money you save on FSD, you could do worse than going LR. With that interior, you also get heated rears, the full sound system, satellite maps, Spotify/Slacker/Tunein/Caraoke, and fogs. And, uh, floor mats? Come on, Tesla. You shouldn't be selling a $40k car without mats.
and if you are going LR it's just a few grand more for the stealth performance model which is also an off the books option. :twisted:
One carrot at a time, man! We don't want to lose him!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

My boss has a long range with RWD, which apparently is no longer an option.

I haz a sad.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That's what I've got, too.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:56 am That's what I've got, too.
Me three. It's what everyone got at the beginning.

I initially ordered AWD but decided to back off for budgetary reasons.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
raydude

Post by raydude »

I got the mid-range RWD last November when I didn't think Tesla would come out with the standard range model before I could take advantage of the full federal tax break. It is also discontinued.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The SR+ is probably the best bang for buck option today, but it's worth noting that the LR AWD even with the reduced tax credit today is about the same price as the LR RWD was back in the days of yore.
stessier

Post by stessier »

You know, the truck is kind of growing on me. It'll be interesting to see how it does.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:03 am You know, the truck is kind of growing on me. It'll be interesting to see how it does.
It is certainly a thing that exists now.

You'd think by now Tesla would have learned the cardinal rule of live demos--never, never do something that you haven't tested. 'Check out our indestructible glass!'
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yeah, not great. But I think Elon's constant overpromising might actually help him there as it's something we'll laugh about now and be impressed if they actually pull off. And if they don't, it will just be Elon being Elon. As long as the rest of the performance is up to what they claim (and I don't see any reason it wouldn't be), it should be fine.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The reaction is definitely trending up this morning compared to the initial WTF is that moment last night.

Verge video:
Link

Motor Trend details

Tesla product page

The thing is certainly a beast. The CEO and chief designer apparently not having practiced their demo of one of the few features actually stressed during their live presentation with hundreds of thousands of people watching was amateur hour. And aren't side windows required to be breakable for occupant retrieval after an accident?

So bizarre.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:22 am You'd think by now Tesla would have learned the cardinal rule of live demos--never, never do something that you haven't tested. 'Check out our indestructible glass!'
That was the funniest thing I've seen since Bill Gates gave a Win 95 demo at a luncheon I was at, the demo ended, of course, with an ill-timed BSOD.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The price is kind of a shock. Seems unrealistic and Wall Street doesn't seem to approve.

The glass dolemo was typical Musk OPUD.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT