The Outer Worlds [Obsidian]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

morlac

Re: The Outer Worlds [Obsidian]

Post by morlac »

Grifman wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:05 am
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:37 pm I still don't get the abject hatred of Epic. The days of having a single game platform are gone. They were gone when EA launched Origin, followed by Uplay and the Bethesda launcher. They're gone the same way having all your shows on one streaming platform is gone. Of all the different game platforms, the only one that gets this kind of absolute spite is Epic. Is it just because of the exclusives? They're not my favorite thing, either, but they're par for every other kind of media. Netflix exclusive Marvel shows. Amazon exclusive Lord of the Rings. XBox exclusive games. Spotify exclusive albums. We're not special, we just have competition for the first time in 15 years. Steam's had a near-monopoly for general game sales, and Epic's trying to end it. This is what that looks like, and I think it'll be good. It'll push Epic and Steam to both innovate and compete for our money.

The same game that plays the same way for the same price. Put it exclusively on Steam and people cheer. Put it exclusively on Epic and people rage. "BOYCOTT! NEVEREPIC!" Do people just hate Epic (the company) that much? Ubi and EA are so much worse to their customers, and they don't get this kind of hatred when the latest Assassin's Creed comes only to Uplay.
The problem is that Epic thinks developers are it's customer, not game buyers. All of their moves so far have been aimed at developers not consumers. If Epic had rolled out a storefront with more and better consumer friendly features than Steam, and/or completed by giving better prices that would have been one thing. But they didn't - they rolled out a totally inferior platform that is only able to compete by locking up games that look to be very popular or desired. Yes, they claim to be adding new features such as achievements, etc in the future, but they are not there now, when they make their initial impression.

And yes, I hate exclusives. I don't have a problem with EA/Ubisoft/Bethesda setting up their own platforms because those are their games to begin with. I'd prefer that I could buy them on Steam (and with Ubisoft I used to be able to do so until Epic - looks like their future games are moving there), but I understand. Netflicks and Amazon aren't relevant because it is their shows that they are producing. We are also used to different networks providing different and unique content - no one expects ABC shows to be on NBC, or Universal movies to be on the FX movie channel.

So in the end, for me it is exclusives - consumers want choice, but forcing me to use Epic to play a game I want isn't choice - it is anti-consumer.
I kinda feel like giving me free games is pretty consumer friendly. Epic is courting developers to build up a viable alternative to steam via giving the a bigger slice of the pie and even bigger ones if they go exclusive or license their engine. This should put more money in the pockets of developers withou charging consumers more. In theory helping srudios keep the lights on and making more good games. While maybe not directly impacting me unless some of the savings are passed along. I can appreciate the impact this coukd have on said devlopers. 5 extra percent profit can be the difference between making another game or closing the doors. In regards to 4 + platforms i could care less. Steam starts on bootup the rest launch when i launch a game and i hardly notice...shrug.
Last edited by morlac on Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

My problem with using the Epic store is one of trust. I don't trust them at all. I saw over at Qt3 that they've engaged in the following:
- The “SteamSpy” app was actually an Epic employee that was gathering data for the Epic Store.

- They had a client in PUBG for years, then launched a directly competing product targeted at the same users. This prompted a lawsuit, which was later dropped.

- They were caught scraping the users’ Steam data.
Maybe none of that was directly illegal but it's sleazy as hell and makes me not trust them enough to use their store.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The Outer Worlds really seems like the kind of game I like, and Obsidian has made some great games. Barring bad reviews, I'm probably in.

And I am starting a separate thread for all the platform discussion so that people can actually discuss the game here.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

25 Oct 2019 -- for some reason, I was expecting this to be out next year (of course, if you're waiting for it on Steam, I guess it is out next year...).

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Obsidian makes some great games, and I'm really looking forward to this one. With that said, something about the graphics just don't do it for me. I can't figure out whether it's the tech, the stylistic choice, or something else, but something about it just bothers me.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You're probably used to a devastated world.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I get a sort of "Fallout New Vegas, with color" vibe.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:06 am Obsidian makes some great games, and I'm really looking forward to this one. With that said, something about the graphics just don't do it for me. I can't figure out whether it's the tech, the stylistic choice, or something else, but something about it just bothers me.
It looks like they're trying to do Borderlands in the Fallout engine. It's clunkier than it should be.

I want to like this, but that trailer actually dampened my enthusiasm.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

That looks like a mod of Fallout Vegas. The animation is terrible. I'll wait and see what the reviews are, but that video killed any excitement I had for the game. :(
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'm still pretty excited for it.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
morlac

Post by morlac »

Same but that second trailer sucked.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Just realized: only 10 more days until this is out. Looking forward to it.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Thanks for the thread bump. I completely forgot I was looking forward to this.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ugh! Too many games coming out all at once!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:20 am Ugh! Too many games coming out all at once!
It's kind of exciting. I was actually running with no backlog through the summer and now I am starting to get inundated. I actually have choices now!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just watched that second trailer. I was iffy to begin with, but that pushed me right out. As with others, the art style just doesn't work for me at all. The jank factor looks to be off the charts.

It'll likely be a "deep discount on a Steam sale 3 years from now" game for me.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The second trailer took me from, "Want!" to "Wait for reviews and non-marketing gameplay footage."
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I didn't like it wasn't Fallout 4 in outer space. It sounds rather limited.
But like Blackhawk I'll take a wait and see attitude.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

...and now you guys are giving me pause. I wasn't actually excited about it, but just expected it to be the next thing. Since I already have a bunch of things, it can certainly be a "later" thing.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It may still be amazing. I haven't seen the gameplay or the real-world visuals yet, but the way that trailer made it look was just... bad. Not objectively bad, but something about the way it looks just makes me feel oddly uncomfortable. I don't know what, exactly. Very low-res textures, oddly black shadows, and this effect that reminds me a bit of the weird glowing haze effect that bothered me so much in both Breath of the Wild and No Man's Sky. I don't know for sure, but it is really off-putting.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Eh....this looks great to me. You guys are too damn picky.
I'll be taking the plunge day 1.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks great to me too. Cant afford it but someday will play it.

First 20 min....spoilers

Jag

Post by Jag »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:35 pm Looks great to me too. Cant afford it but someday will play it.

First 20 min....spoilers

Can you get a cheap Xbox Gamepass for PC? I got a free 3 month trial and this is included. Already finished Gears 5 on the Gamepass.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

If it's in the Windows store yes.
Black Lives Matter
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

In.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Can you get a cheap Xbox Gamepass for PC? I got a free 3 month trial and this is included. Already finished Gears 5 on the Gamepass.
Looks neat with all the games and the $5 price but it requires Win 10 and I refuse to move from Win 7 64
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The actual gameplay looks a lot better than the trailer.
Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:40 pm Looks neat with all the games and the $5 price but it requires Win 10 and I refuse to move from Win 7 64
In about ten weeks you'll stop getting any form of security updates.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bonsi Buddy will protect him.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:44 pm The actual gameplay looks a lot better than the trailer.
Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:40 pm Looks neat with all the games and the $5 price but it requires Win 10 and I refuse to move from Win 7 64
Wont affect me any.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:40 pm
Looks neat with all the games and the $5 price but it requires Win 10 and I refuse to move from Win 7 64
I recently bought a valid Windows 10 Pro key on Ebay for $2.99.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I recently took advantage of a limited time offer Microsoft had for converting Live memberships to Game Pass Ultimate at a 1 to 1 basis. I first purchased two years worth of Live before doing it, and it converted over to 2 1/2 years by the time I was done taking advantage of side offers. I was really surprised that worked. :shock:

I'm lovin' it so far. I've been hooked on We Happy Few. Can't wait for Outer Worlds though.
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Yeah, did something similar and was stoked to see that this would be part of it. 8-)
-mf
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

FYI, you can preload it on the Xbox One.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote:
Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:46 pm Wont affect me any.
I eagerly await your future post exclaiming how unfair the world is when you get pwned by an unpatched exploit.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hasn't happened in 3 years. Back when I heard about Windows Update installing nagware to get you to switch to Win 10 I turned it off and never ran it again. Works just fine and never a problem. Theres free software I use for antivirus and adware and such. I never see any. Dont you remember all this from years ago when you guys claimed the same thing would happen and it never did? Dont believe all the crap big companies spout.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:52 pm Hasn't happened in 3 years. Back when I heard about Windows Update installing nagware to get you to switch to Win 10 I turned it off and never ran it again. Works just fine and never a problem. Theres free software I use for antivirus and adware and such. I never see any. Dont you remember all this from years ago when you guys claimed the same thing would happen and it never did? Dont believe all the crap big companies spout.
Believe what you will - I work with enterprises every day that get hit with malware and ransomware. You do you, though.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Eh worst case I format and reinstall win 7.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sooner or later you'll hit a wall where you either update or stop playing new games. There were holdouts with Win98 and XP, too.