Nintendo Switch = NX

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Nintendo Switch = NX

Post by Zaxxon »

Just in time for a plane ride tonight? And a day before Link's Awakening unlocks?

Sold.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Oh man, I had forgotten how addicting Puzzle Quest is. Sat down to give it a quick start...3 hours later I stand up and am seeing a grid pattern in front of my eyes. :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Side note: Link's Awakening is fun.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:57 pm Side note: Link's Awakening is fun.
No one else? Rly? This game's awesome! Clearly made with a ton of love, looks great, brings a ton of quality-of-life improvements vs the original GB version, and the updated orchestral soundtrack is fantastic.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:52 am
No one else? Rly? This game's awesome! Clearly made with a ton of love, looks great, brings a ton of quality-of-life improvements vs the original GB version, and the updated orchestral soundtrack is fantastic.
I told the kiddo to check it out and let me know if he wants it (I have vouchers to spend and someone already gave them Mario Kart). He watched a video and then started a new game of Breath of the Wild (like his sixth time) on the harder difficulty.

Personally I never really fell in love with the Zelda games. I remember playing one on NES when I was in high school, but I don't think I finished that or played any other beyond an hour or two. Sports games and metroidvania were more my jam then and oddly I enjoy neither of those now. Mario vs Rabbids was the closest I came to enjoying a Nintendo game this generation. There was nothing last generation (Pokemon Sun./Moon on 3DS). Monster Lab on Wii. Very rare is the Nintendo game that grabs me post SNES.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I bought it already as a Christmas present for my daughter. So we'll have to wait 3 more months to play it.
FTE
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I’m absolutely loving it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:00 am I remember playing one on NES when I was in high school, but I don't think I finished that or played any other beyond an hour or two.
There's a 50/50 chance that it was Zelda 2, in which case I can understand not sticking with it. It was an... 'experimental' second game, and it wasn't very good.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
JCC

Post by JCC »

I have done 5 or 6 dungeons now, which is much farther than I got in the GBC version. I agree the game is great and I am having a lot of fun. I still wish they would clean up the performance some, but it hasn't meaningfully caused problems for gameplay. Most disappointed in how much more dumb and impatient I am now with these Zelda games. I have had to make liberal use of walkthroughs to advance in this game...
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Witcher 3 comes out tomorrow on Switch. Crazy to think that I’ll be able to play it on an airplane...we live in remarkable times. :)

After thoroughly and unexpectedly enjoying Skyrim on Switch, I might triple-dip for this one (have it on PS4 and PC).
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:48 pm Witcher 3 comes out tomorrow on Switch. Crazy to think that I’ll be able to play it on an airplane...we live in remarkable times. :)

After thoroughly and unexpectedly enjoying Skyrim on Switch, I might triple-dip for this one (have it on PS4 and PC).
I REALLY wish they would do more cross-platform saves as they did with Divine Divinity 2 for PC (Steam) and the Switch, where you can continue your play on one or the other platform. If they would do that for more games (in this case PS4/Switch, please), I would buy sooooooooo many more games - such as Divine Divinity 1, Pillars of Eternity, Witcher 3. I think it would be perfect for RPGs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

All of the old Infinity Engine D&D games come out tomorrow as well. Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 in one pack, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment in another.

I have most of them on iPad already, so I'm not quite as eager to jump on them right away. Likely get them eventually though.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:29 pm All of the old Infinity Engine D&D games come out tomorrow as well. Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 in one pack, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment in another.

I have most of them on iPad already, so I'm not quite as eager to jump on them right away. Likely get them eventually though.
I have a cross country flight on Wednesday. 100% I'm buying BG1&2 for Switch tomorrow! Great write up on the Switch editions here:

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nin ... d_editions
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kurth wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:48 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:29 pm All of the old Infinity Engine D&D games come out tomorrow as well. Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 in one pack, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment in another.

I have a cross country flight on Wednesday. 100% I'm buying BG1&2 for Switch tomorrow! Great write up on the Switch editions here:

GT did a really good review as well
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:33 pm
Kurth wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:48 pm

GT did a really good review as well
Thanks for that. Lots of good info in there. Now I’m off to relive BG1 and 2!!! Get ready Boo! :)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I had some credit at Best Buy and GameStop, so I came home with both Witcher 3 and the Baldur’s Gate 1/2 combo today. :oops:

Looks like I’ve got my next 300 hours of gaming lined up.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Firing up BG on my Switch right now!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Happy to report that BG works very well on Switch. The ability to move characters with the thumbstick as opposed to clicking on the ground is an absolute godsend when it comes to pathfinding, and the way they mapped everything to a radial menu is surprisingly effective.

Some of the text is a bit tough to read in handheld mode (mostly just on the maps), but that's a minor quibble.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I agree. BG works great! Now I just need to stop rolling and rerolling (and rerolling and rerolling and . . . ) long enough to actually play the damn game.

Just like old times! :D

[Edit to add that if you’re going to pull the trigger, Amazon and Walmart have it for $41.88, and GameStop will price match Walmart if that matters to you.]
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kurth wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:43 am Now I just need to stop rolling and rerolling (and rerolling and rerolling and . . . ) long enough to actually play the damn game.

My third roll scored a total of 90. :shock: I stored that one and tried re-rolling for another 15 minutes...never got above 80.

It's been tough wrapping my brain around these old D&D systems though.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's always fun to watch someone explode when you land a melee hit.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:47 pm
Kurth wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:43 am Now I just need to stop rolling and rerolling (and rerolling and rerolling and . . . ) long enough to actually play the damn game.

My third roll scored a total of 90. :shock: I stored that one and tried re-rolling for another 15 minutes...never got above 80.

It's been tough wrapping my brain around these old D&D systems though.
I hit an 88 pretty early, but I kept on and eventually got a 95! But at least you actually got to play the game, which, you know, is kind of the whole point. 😑😀
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

A good article about how the Switch’s control scheme for the BG games is the best way to play them.

I 100% agree.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Stop enticing me.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:06 pm Stop enticing me.
Put it this way. In two days on Switch, I’ve already gotten further into the original Baldurs Gate than I did in three previous attempts (on PC and iPad), primarily due to the streamlined control scheme.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I don't think I would mind paying $300 for the system, but paying $50-$60 a game just seems high to me.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

stimpy wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:15 am I don't think I would mind paying $300 for the system, but paying $50-$60 a game just seems high to me.
That's the standard price of new games for any console system.

Why would the Switch be different?
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:28 am
stimpy wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:15 am I don't think I would mind paying $300 for the system, but paying $50-$60 a game just seems high to me.
That's the standard price of new games for any console system.

Why would the Switch be different?
These aren't exactly "new" games.
I understand it takes some time and money to port them, but in some cases we're talking about 20 year old "new" games.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ah. I thought you were talking about Switch games in general, not these two specifically.

FWIW, the console release of the BG games are the same price for PS4 and XB as well.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Nintendo games are more expensive than any other console. They rarely drop in price and the ports tend to be more expensive as well too for some reason. They are the Apple of consoles. I'm hoping the Luigi game is good. I will be grabbing it for sure if the reviews pop up being favorable for it.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

But... you get two games for that $50 price tag! :wink:
-mf
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’ve also been playing through the stand-alone Xenoblade Chronicles 2 expansion called Torna, the Golden Country. It’s a prequel to XC2.

If anyone’s been looking to try the Xenoblade games but was put off by the 80-100 hours they require, I would strongly recommend giving this one a look. It keeps many of the same awesome aspects of XC2 (amazing graphics, great characters, fun combat, incredible music, wonderful world building), but does so in a much more compact and streamlined format. Golden Country only takes 20-25 hours to finish, and (so far) is a really fantastic self-contained story.

I burned out in XC2 after spending 80 hours and realizing that I had at least another 30-40 in order to finish. I’m 10 hours into this xpac, and it’s been an absolute blast, and fits really well into my limited gaming time.

Two thumbs way up so far
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Good to hear, as I also burned out on XC2 around halfway through. I did buy the pass, tho, so I can get Torna.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:32 pm I’ve also been playing through the stand-alone Xenoblade Chronicles 2 expansion called Torna, the Golden Country. It’s a prequel to XC2.

If anyone’s been looking to try the Xenoblade games but was put off by the 80-100 hours they require, I would strongly recommend giving this one a look. It keeps many of the same awesome aspects of XC2 (amazing graphics, great characters, fun combat, incredible music, wonderful world building), but does so in a much more compact and streamlined format. Golden Country only takes 20-25 hours to finish, and (so far) is a really fantastic self-contained story.

I burned out in XC2 after spending 80 hours and realizing that I had at least another 30-40 in order to finish. I’m 10 hours into this xpac, and it’s been an absolute blast, and fits really well into my limited gaming time.

Two thumbs way up so far
About halfway through XC2 I quit doing side quests and I think I was able to beat it in about 80 hours. Give or take. It was worth it playing through to the end because there is a huge twist that I honestly did not see coming near the very end.
FTE
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

I've been waffling around on a new game to get for the switch. Birthday yesterday so can get a game but want it to be 'the game'!

Have played the demo of Dragon Quest XI...very nice
Thinking about Link's awakening
You've got me very curious about XC2
Maybe BG 1/2?

So what's best for the old man to get?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I enjoyed Link's Awakening quite a bit. Also still hooked on Slay the Spire.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

WYBaugh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:10 pm I've been waffling around on a new game to get for the switch. Birthday yesterday so can get a game but want it to be 'the game'!

Maybe BG 1/2?

Those are all great choices. So I guess it comes down to what you are in the mood for. Classic Zelda action with updated graphics and controls? Japanese style RPGs, or the CRPGs that really helped to define the genre?

Between DQX1 and XC2 I personally enjoyed XC2 a little bit more. But they are both good games and you honestly can't go wrong with either.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scraper wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:42 am
WYBaugh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:10 pm I've been waffling around on a new game to get for the switch. Birthday yesterday so can get a game but want it to be 'the game'!

Maybe BG 1/2?

Those are all great choices. So I guess it comes down to what you are in the mood for. Classic Zelda action with updated graphics and controls? Japanese style RPGs, or the CRPGs that really helped to define the genre?

Between DQX1 and XC2 I personally enjoyed XC2 a little bit more. But they are both good games and you honestly can't go wrong with either.
DQ XI didn't do much for me. It's fun if you're really in the mood for an old-school'ish JRPG, but I found the combat to be pretty dull, the characters to be meh, and the grind to be rather excessive.

XC2 is a fantastic game and is absolutely HUGE. Takes a minimum of 80 hours to get through, and that's if you're rushing it. My attention span isn't that long these days so I burned out before the end, but thoroughly enjoyed what I did play. If you're looking for something that you can sink your teeth into and play for the next couple months, I'd highly recommend it.

Out of your list, I'd put XC2 as #1, BG 1/2 as #2, DQ XI as #3. (I've never been a Zelda fan)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

If anyone's interested, I've got a copy of Xenoblade that I was about to put on ebay that I'd happily rather sell here.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finished the XC2 Torna xpac on the flight today. Took 23 hours (the game...not the flight. :))

I absolutely loved it. The focused story and emphasis on unique characters (rather than the “gotta catch em all” blade system from the base game) made for a tight, thoroughly enjoyable experience. I’d go so far as to say I actually liked it quite a bit more than the main game because it didn’t meander and pad nearly as much. A solid A in my book. 8/8 tentacles.

It’s stand-alone, btw. You don’t need to have the base game to play this xpac. In some ways, it might actually be a really good intro to the main game, since you come in knowing what happened before.