Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

They've made my avatar into an action figure!

Monty Python Black Knight Statue Talks and Features Flesh Wound Action

Enlarge Image

”Tis but a scratch”
”I’ve had worse”
”Ohh, ohh I see, running away ehh?... you yellow Bastard!”
”Come back ‘ere and take what’s coming to you… I’ll bite your legs off!”
”s’alright, we’ll call it a draw”
”It’s just a flesh wound”
”Have at you!”
”I’m invincible!”
”I move for no man!”
”None shall pass, none shall pass!”
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was just at the dentist with my daughter and Metallica's Master of Puppets came on over the sound system. I looked over at one of the hygienists and we both did a double take. I can honestly say that's a first. Apparently they have some type of audio subscription that changes the music theme hourly.

:music-deathmetal:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Brian

Post by Brian »

Did you tell him to switch off of the Oldies Channel?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Seriously. If I wasn't so shocked, I would have asked what was with the classic rock. I think the song playing right before it was Sweet Melissa by the Allman Brothers.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:51 pm When your posts sound like a weird grumpy Andy Rooney rant, it might be time to sign off the internet for the day.

That video is more fun when you assume those are eight or nine empty beers in front of him at the start.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

He was good at whining.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you’re good at something, don’t do it for free.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Watched the SNL opening with Woody Harrelson. The man is a national treasure.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

After all these years finally getting reasonably good at WASD has made my generally bad typing worse. Fingers no longer have any idea where home is.
Last edited by LordMortis on Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LordMortis wrote:After all these years finally getting reasonably good at WASD has made my generally bad typing worse. Fingers know longer have any idea where home is.
Yeah, I always have to remap to esdf, it's annoying that people who never learned to touch type defined fps movement.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I never did the FPS. Camera and map controls eventually moved from mouse + arrows or number to WASD. That is probably why it has only been in the last could of years that I have adapted. But same gripe, different games. I'd probably learn to remap like you have, but not all games allow you to remap. Then I'd be really screwed trying to remember what's up when. I'm getting too old to change mindesets and controls without looking from one game to another.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was flipping around TV and seeing all kinds of sports broadcasts but it hit me...no PBA...no bowling these days AT ALL. In the 70s and 80s I loved to watch pro bowling. I loved to go bowling. I haven't been in years thanks to my back but I still would if I could. Bowling has fallen on hard times though in the last decade and a half . All the alleys around here have closed but one. The originals are all gone. All of them were built in the 50s and 60s. The one we have now is some newer one built inside one of our old closed supermarkets. It has all the fancy stuff like a bar and blacklighting glow and crap.

Id give a lot if the old original from the 50s in the basement was here with eatery and jukebox. It was also a designated fallout shelter in case of atomic war. Sigh.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Had a power outage in San Francisco this morning. Power was out at about 7AM, and came back 9:45 ish. This was not a part of the rolling blackout PG&E claims is to lower fire risks.

Personally, I still say PG&E is just trying to piss off enough customers to push the state PUC to raise rates so it can pay for the two huge liabilities it had to pay out in the last decade.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:11 pm Was flipping around TV and seeing all kinds of sports broadcasts but it hit me...no PBA...no bowling these days AT ALL.
From 2014, The Rise and Fall of Professional Bowling.
By 2000, the debt-riddled PBA was doing so poorly that Microsoft employee Chris Peters, along with two of his co-workers, purchased it for $5 million -- less than the cost of a minor league baseball team. Peters set to work revamping the website (he purchased the domain pba.com), setting up the tech to stream every PBA tour event live over the internet, and pitching PBA coverage to major networks.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Neat info thanks. Never knew that. Shame too though.

Also I hate companies that try to make customers pay for the company's mistake. Recently the water company in Chattanooga had a water main break. Well 3 or 4 actually. But this one was huge and the entire city was without water for days. After it was all fixed up again the water company started talking about a rate hike to pay for it. Oh no they didn't said almost everyone. Needless to say they abandoned that idea real fast. WTF is it with companies that you pay for service every month and them making their profits then wanting to charge you for their own stuff. Its crazy. Pay for stuff yourselves ya bastages.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:56 pm
LordMortis wrote:After all these years finally getting reasonably good at WASD has made my generally bad typing worse. Fingers know longer have any idea where home is.
Yeah, I always have to remap to esdf, it's annoying that people who never learned to touch type defined fps movement.
After almost 20 years of ESDF, I made the change to WASD about a year ago, mostly because there are too many games that don't allow rebinding, or worse, allow rebinding of some functions, but not others (Bethesda, fuck you - Fallout 4 and 76 both let you remap your movement keys, but hard-code the building movement keys to WASD, making them unusable if your rebind to any of those keys.)

I still hate it. I have lost my ability to find keys without looking after ~30+ years of touch typing. But I can't go back, because the industry doesn't understand what the home row is for.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

For the heck of it, I tried Safeway delivery instead of Amazon Prime Now! delivery that I usually use.

Safeway is quite a bit cheaper, as I was able to find sale items much more easily, and selection is fantastic and because it's a real supermarket with a lot of branches. However, it charges $4 "handling fee", as well as a delivery fee. For 2 hour delivery, you need to pay like $10. If you can schedule it 4-6 hours ahead (or next day), delivery fee drops to $4. Or if you order like 65 to $100 bucks delivery's free.

Amazon Prime Now has its own warehouse, but only one (in "Dogpatch" area of San Francisco). While it charges no extra delivery fee, it does include $5 tip for the driver, and free delivery within a 2-hour window only requires $35 minimum purchase. However, the 35 minimum is harder to achieve because it counts strangely... Whole Foods Market is counted separately from Amazon market from Petco market.

Amazon's own selection is much more limited. For example, they only seem to have ice cream in 1 pint sizes, instead of the larger sizes. And their prices for the 1 pint... you can almost buy a gallon at Safeway if it's on sale. Haagen Daaz 1 pint is basically 3.50 at safeway (2 for 7) while it's like 5 to 6 at Amazon. Same with Ben and Jerry 1 pint stuff. I can get 3-4x the amount of ice cream at Safeway.

Amazon's main draw is it's fast (relatively) and very reliable (so far), as you can track the driver in the app within the 2-hour window (or even 1 hour window if you want to pay extra). The only indication you have for safeway was the driver will call you upon arrival, within the 4-hour window. No tracking.

So now you know. I bought like a month's worth of ice cream from Safeway today delivered, plus enough slice turkey to make a week's worth of burritos. I may be buying more from Safeway in the future.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

but not others (Bethesda, fuck you - Fallout 4 and 76 both let you remap your movement keys, but hard-code the building movement keys to WASD, making them unusable if your rebind to any of those keys.)
Used arrows since I started in 94 and always will. With FO4 though ugh. When I built stuff I simply had to stand in one place and plant stuff around me then move some and do it again if I wanted to build anything. Thought it was stupid...still do.

Post by Default »

The real estate becomes worth more than the alley. Nobody bowls anymore. As a matter of fact, most team sports have ceased to be. :-/

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:11 pm Was flipping around TV and seeing all kinds of sports broadcasts but it hit me...no PBA...no bowling these days AT ALL. In the 70s and 80s I loved to watch pro bowling. I loved to go bowling. I haven't been in years thanks to my back but I still would if I could. Bowling has fallen on hard times though in the last decade and a half . All the alleys around here have closed but one. The originals are all gone. All of them were built in the 50s and 60s. The one we have now is some newer one built inside one of our old closed supermarkets. It has all the fancy stuff like a bar and blacklighting glow and crap.

Id give a lot if the old original from the 50s in the basement was here with eatery and jukebox. It was also a designated fallout shelter in case of atomic war. Sigh.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

This product had to be invented by a guy...

If you don't want to click through, reveal the spoiler.
Spoiler:
"The Wine Rack" is a sports bra that contains a liquid reservoir with a drinking tube. Didn't say what the capacity is, but can't be too large.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Warm wine is not appealing.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:24 am Warm wine is not appealing.
Depends on the packaging.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:14 am This product had to be invented by a guy...

Spoiler:
"The Wine Rack" is a sports bra that contains a liquid reservoir with a drinking tube. Didn't say what the capacity is, but can't be too large.
Seems like they'd do better targeting drinkers of British ale (i.e. "warm beer"). Though they'd likely need to make 'em a whole lot bigger.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I live in an apartment of about 60 units. On-site laundry facilities is three washing machines and four dryers. Sometimes the same person uses two or three of the washers at once. Is this assholish, or efficient? I've been trying to figure it out mathematically. I believe each washer cycle is 38 minutes. Each dryer cycle is 50.

I've always thought using more than one washer at a time was assholish. I've only done it once when I was washing blankets, and only because the third machine was vacant. But then I started thinking about it. If you have the laundry to do anyway, isn't it in everyone's best interest for you to do it as soon as possible? Better for a machine to be in use than not. There are no rules posted regarding this.

But you still look and feel like an asshole if you're loading your second/third machine when someone else walks in needing to do their laundry. And I guess it's also a question of when. It seems like it might be more polite to use only one machine at peak times when there are more likely to be people needing to put a load in. But it's not quite clear when those peak times are (other than on the weekend).

Some of the annoyance would be mitigated by having a camera monitoring system tenants could access, but no such luck.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I used to do laundry at a full laundromat. I went at really late/early hours, and had no qualms about taking 8 washers out of ~30. The quicker I was done, the quicker I could leave.

But a small one like that adds a different element to it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sudy wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:37 pm I live in an apartment of about 60 units. On-site laundry facilities is three washing machines and four dryers. Sometimes the same person uses two or three of the washers at once. Is this assholish, or efficient? I've been trying to figure it out mathematically. I believe each washer cycle is 38 minutes. Each dryer cycle is 50.

I've always thought using more than one washer at a time was assholish. I've only done it once when I was washing blankets, and only because the third machine was vacant. But then I started thinking about it. If you have the laundry to do anyway, isn't it in everyone's best interest for you to do it as soon as possible? Better for a machine to be in use than not. There are no rules posted regarding this.

But you still look and feel like an asshole if you're loading your second/third machine when someone else walks in needing to do their laundry. And I guess it's also a question of when. It seems like it might be more polite to use only one machine at peak times when there are more likely to be people needing to put a load in. But it's not quite clear when those peak times are (other than on the weekend).

Some of the annoyance would be mitigated by having a camera monitoring system tenants could access, but no such luck.
Using all three machines gets your loads done quicker, but what if you're occupying the whole range at prime hours (right after work? after dinner?) when other tenants are most likely to want to use the machines too? Occupying all the machine from 7:00-9:00pm isn't the same thing as occupying all the machines at 2:00-4:00am.

Accessibility at decent hours is the most precious resource here. If you have three loads of laundry, it's more neighborly to spend three times as long on one machine and leave others open for your neighbors. It costs you more time, but why should neighbors have to wait because you have more dirty items?

If I were manager, I would make a rule that you have only one machine at a time except during certain non-peak hours.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

If there are only 3 machines, I'd say each person is limited to max of 2, but as a courtesy.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Depends on how much you want to be liked/tolerated by your neighbors.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Sudy wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:37 pm I live in an apartment of about 60 units. On-site laundry facilities is three washing machines and four dryers. Sometimes the same person uses two or three of the washers at once. Is this assholish, or efficient? I've been trying to figure it out mathematically. I believe each washer cycle is 38 minutes. Each dryer cycle is 50.
Efficient (from the machine's point of view) is doing a load of laundry as soon as you've accumulated one load of laundry. Waiting to do multiples in the communal laundromat is going to put more strain on the system. (By way of example: if everyone waited until they had eight loads accumulated, most of the time things would work out fine, but that one time someone was ahead of you and you had to wait four extra hours to get your loads started would really suck.)

Using two washers and leaving one free for the next person is probably the nicest use case for the combination of efficiency of your time and kindness to your fellow laundry facility users. If the next person has some article of clothing that absolutely needs to be immediately laundered, then they have that option available.

I'm biased from my local (semi-arid) environment, but dryers tend to be a luxury item more cheaply replaced with open space and drying racks or drying lines. Also, someone who leaves completed items in the dryers should have no expectation their items would remain sitting in the dryers were I in need of using one at the completion of my wash cycle. This is known shared-laundry etiquette: Git ya stuff out asap.

Were it me in my younger years, the speed at which I could complete the task of laundry would trump all other considerations and I'd use as many washers and dryers as were available, next-person-be-damned. Now that I'm a bit older and more compassionate, without mitigating circumstances I'd do my part to leave one washer available in the case of someone else's emergency.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

8 loads? I down even own that many clothes. You'd have to wait more than a month to have that much saved up.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:35 am 8 loads? I down even own that many clothes. You'd have to wait more than a month to have that much saved up.
Challenge accepted!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Amazon recently decided to do away with minimum order amount completely. They will ship you even the $1-$3 stuff for Prime next day delivery. Some people speculate this was to compete with the dollar stores. I personally think it's more like they are just expanding down market as well as up market.

I ordered some ear picks. One set for like $3 on the 18th, chose "saver" delivery (i.e. go ahead, take a week). They shipped it over that weekend, and I got it on Monday 21st. What's even better, I got two sets, not just one.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:35 am 8 loads? I down even own that many clothes. You'd have to wait more than a month to have that much saved up.
That very much depends on how many people are in your household and what they do for a living. When we had a housemate that was a blacksmith our laundry loads increased dramatically.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gbasden wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:04 pm
That very much depends on how many people are in your household and what they do for a living. When we had a housemate that was a blacksmith our laundry loads increased dramatically.
Also, how fussy you are about your laundry. Wife won't wash blues with blacks, for example, so her "loads" can consist of as few as 4-5 garments. In my world view, there are whites, darks, and 2-3 categories of colors.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Quality reporting from Deadspin: An Interview With The Viral Chinese Stunt Drinker Who Became Our King.
Two years earlier, behind the Great Firewall, he had already gained renown on video app Kuaishou for videos he had filmed of himself expressionlessly imbibing unimaginable quantities of alcohol, usually as part of a ghastly concoction involving beer, candy-colored liquor (often on fire), and a raw egg.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:23 pm Wife won't wash blues with blacks, for example, so her "loads" can consist of as few as 4-5 garments.
k, that's weird
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Re laundromat etiquette - Devil's Advocate here - it's very inefficient to have multiple people doing laundry in parallel wasting man hours. I think the kinder thing is to get all those machine's going if you can and get yours done and clear out for the next tenant. It should be first come, first served. They can do something else while they wait.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
morlac

Post by morlac »

Default wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:34 pm The real estate becomes worth more than the alley. Nobody bowls anymore. As a matter of fact, most team sports have ceased to be. :-/

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:11 pm Was flipping around TV and seeing all kinds of sports broadcasts but it hit me...no PBA...no bowling these days AT ALL. In the 70s and 80s I loved to watch pro bowling. I loved to go bowling. I haven't been in years thanks to my back but I still would if I could. Bowling has fallen on hard times though in the last decade and a half . All the alleys around here have closed but one. The originals are all gone. All of them were built in the 50s and 60s. The one we have now is some newer one built inside one of our old closed supermarkets. It has all the fancy stuff like a bar and blacklighting glow and crap.

6 bowling complexes within 10 miles of my work per google. Plenty of people bowling still, it's just most of them have turned into multi entertainment complexes that have bowling lanes in addition to pool halls, arcades, etc. The small neighborhood bowling alleys may have mostly gone away much like mom and pop stores. Looks to be only about 3 in Chattanooga though. Maybe Kingpin 2 would reinvigorate the sport :)
morlac

Post by morlac »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:41 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:14 am This product had to be invented by a guy...

Spoiler:
Seems like they'd do better targeting drinkers of British ale (i.e. "warm beer"). Though they'd likely need to make 'em a whole lot bigger.
I'm pretty sure it will hold brown liquor as well as wine. I mean who smuggles a glass of wine into a football game? Hmm, we might need to remarket this as "The Booze Boxers" for the gents.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I wash I do everything in one load. Ain't worried about grey underwear.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949