MLB Post Season 2019

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Scuzz

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by Scuzz »

He would probably still have a job if he had "maned up" and apologized the next day rather than deny deny deny.

A fine and some classes and he would be done with it.

He screwed himself.
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Seems a bit odd they fired the asshole who championed the domestic abuser but Osuna is still an Astro.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The charges against Osuna were dropped because the accuser (wife or GF, I don't remember) refused to return to Canada from Mexico to testify.

Even so, Osuna served baseball's suspension for whatever he did. Like it or not he is eligible to play. Fact is baseball, MLB, did more to him than society did. Taubman's idiocy only served to put Osuna's past back into the headlines.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:47 pm The charges against Osuna were dropped because the accuser (wife or GF, I don't remember) refused to return to Canada from Mexico to testify.

Even so, Osuna served baseball's suspension for whatever he did. Like it or not he is eligible to play. Fact is baseball, MLB, did more to him than society did. Taubman's idiocy only served to put Osuna's past back into the headlines.
Osuna paid the price as dictated by MLB. Now whether or not that was enough, is another question. But the GM's behavior was completely unacceptable. I would also hope that the MLB make sure he doesn't get hired by another team.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lorini wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:20 pm
Scuzz wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:47 pm The charges against Osuna were dropped because the accuser (wife or GF, I don't remember) refused to return to Canada from Mexico to testify.

Osuna paid the price as dictated by MLB. Now whether or not that was enough, is another question. But the GM's behavior was completely unacceptable. I would also hope that the MLB make sure he doesn't get hired by another team.
That would be collusion, but he is toast anyway.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Nope, not collusion, he's management. They can decide not to hire him for any reason they want as long as they don't violate discrimination laws, and discriminating against idiots aren't included.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

They guy made a stupid mistake that probably cost him his chance at his dream job. Even murderers are allowed a chance at "rehabilitation", so idiots with big mouths should be as well. But yea, it's not going to happen at the major league level.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Exodor wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:01 pm Seems a bit odd they fired the asshole who championed the domestic abuser but Osuna is still an Astro.
Also he wasn't fired for championing Osuna, he was fired for basically harassing female reporters (Osuna was just the reference he was using to do it), and from the Astros statement it sounds like he was also fired for lying to them about it.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

The first part seems like an unnecessary announcement. Just say who is throwing out the pitch.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:43 am

The first part seems like an unnecessary announcement. Just say who is throwing out the pitch.
Why is that unnecessary? It's already huge news here that Trump is planning to attend Game 5. People are unhappy. Do you realize the nuclear levels of heat he'd get if he threw out the first pitch? Issuing that statement (and having Andres throw out the first pitch instead!) is incredibly necessary around here.

Also, 7 and a half hours until I see World Series baseball in person!
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

It seems unnecessary to announce he isn't tossing out the first pitch. Just announce the Chef is and focus on why he's doing it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:13 pm It seems unnecessary to announce he isn't tossing out the first pitch. Just announce the Chef is and focus on why he's doing it.
You'd realize more of why it's necessary if you lived here, unfortunately.
Hodor.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

stessier wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:13 pm It seems unnecessary to announce he isn't tossing out the first pitch. Just announce the Chef is and focus on why he's doing it.
You wanna bet that someone at the WH hasn't asked that he be allowed to throw out the first pitch? Maybe by denying him that he won't go to the game and everyone will win.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:41 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:43 am

Why is that unnecessary? It's already huge news here that Trump is planning to attend Game 5. People are unhappy. Do you realize the nuclear levels of heat he'd get if he threw out the first pitch? Issuing that statement (and having Andres throw out the first pitch instead!) is incredibly necessary around here.

Also, 7 and a half hours until I see World Series baseball in person!
I DESPERATELY want Trump to throw out a first pitch. I'll be able to hear the booing from Boston.

At least announce that he's there at some point during the game.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The dream scenario is Trump goes to throw out a first pitch and no one greets or helps him. Then the catcher lets the ball dribble by him and walks off without retrieving it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Is it just me or have the strike zone calls been worse this series than normal? Seems like the strike zone has been pretty erratic.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Ugh Washington bullpen and weak hitting by the Nats strike again.

Oh, yeah the strike calling has been a bit weird.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

In particular there have been a number of calls that were Naked Gun / Enrico Pollazzo bad.

Anyway, this game is done. Hopefully pr0ner gets to see a win in game 5, at least.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:41 pm In particular there have been a number of calls that were Naked Gun / Enrico Pollazzo bad.

Anyway, this game is done. Hopefully pr0ner gets to see a win in game 5, at least.
That's a dubious proposition right now!
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Max scratched from the game. That's not ideal. I'm looking forward to Trump somehow making the entire game about him. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:39 pm The dream scenario is Trump goes to throw out a first pitch and no one greets or helps him. Then the catcher lets the ball dribble by him and walks off without retrieving it.
Imagine trying to pitch a beach ball...impossible to get a grip on it, right? That's what would be like for President Tiny Hands to throw a baseball.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:08 pm Max scratched from the game. That's not ideal. I'm looking forward to Trump somehow making the entire game about him. :P
What's wrong with him? That sucks.

I assume that there hasn't yet been a World Series where the away team won every game? That would be amazing.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote:
Octavious wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:08 pm Max scratched from the game. That's not ideal. I'm looking forward to Trump somehow making the entire game about him. Image
What's wrong with him? That sucks.

I assume that there hasn't yet been a World Series where the away team won every game? That would be amazing.
Max had some bad neck spasms. He's had issues like this before around the all-star break and he had to sit out for a couple of games.

Other than the 2 runs, Ross seems to have settled but the Nationals need to start hitting better.

Edit: I take it back. Ross is imploding

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:03 pm
Did you hear it?

https://breakingnewsusa.com/2019/10/27/ ... LUwqOdqPcc
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:17 am
Did you hear it?

Did they show it on the broadcast? I only watched from like the 6th-ish inning on last night, though I saw the clips on Twitter.

Anyway, good for those in attendance. I especially enjoyed the "Lock Him Up" chants.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's Fox so probably not. :lol: He had to know that he was going to get ripped apart. That's why he didn't want to throw out the first pitch either.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:48 am
Alefroth wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:17 am
Did you hear it?

Did they show it on the broadcast? I only watched from like the 6th-ish inning on last night, though I saw the clips on Twitter.

Anyway, good for those in attendance. I especially enjoyed the "Lock Him Up" chants.
Trump was shown on the scoreboard during a mid inning break in the middle of the Nationals' typical support the troops moment.
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kersh...er, Verlander blows another lead!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Strasburg was a beast! On to game 7! :horse:
Black lives matter!

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So do the Nats win because neither team can win on its home turf?? Hope so!
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Having Max pitch certainly won't hurt. I like the Nats chaces tonight.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Definitely pulling for the Nats tonight, as the underdog, haven't won before, and the Houston organization hasn't exactly covered itself in glory lately. ALSO - I want to see the first World Series where the home team never wins.

Thoughts on the Trea Turner interference call? I get the general sense that the umpire was technically correct (or within the bounds of the rules) in making the call, but kind of a bullshit call to potentially decide a World Series that way. Though fortunately it didn't.

Also I enjoyed the irony of Alex Rodriguez (in the postgame show) getting passionate about somebody getting called out for interference at first base in the playoffs.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I love Soto's youthful enthusiasm and sense of humor:

@MLBNetwork

"I saw that, what Bregman did in the first inning... I was like, 'that was pretty cool, I wanna do that.'"
Black lives matter!

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:29 am Definitely pulling for the Nats tonight, as the underdog, haven't won before, and the Houston organization hasn't exactly covered itself in glory lately. ALSO - I want to see the first World Series where the home team never wins.

Thoughts on the Trea Turner interference call? I get the general sense that the umpire was technically correct (or within the bounds of the rules) in making the call, but kind of a bullshit call to potentially decide a World Series that way. Though fortunately it didn't.

Also I enjoyed the irony of Alex Rodriguez (in the postgame show) getting passionate about somebody getting called out for interference at first base in the playoffs.
I thought it was bullshit call. When you are a right handed batter, to get outside the lines means you cannot take a straight line for the base. He lined himself up at the last second and hit the center of the bag. Not sure what he could have done differently. If he had been outside the lines and came back to the center of the bag I think the same thing would have happened.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Lassr wrote:
El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:29 am Definitely pulling for the Nats tonight, as the underdog, haven't won before, and the Houston organization hasn't exactly covered itself in glory lately. ALSO - I want to see the first World Series where the home team never wins.

I thought it was bullshit call. When you are a right handed batter, to get outside the lines means you cannot take a straight line for the base. He lined himself up at the last second and hit the center of the bag. Not sure what he could have done differently. If he had been outside the lines and came back to the center of the bag I think the same thing would have happened.
Also it was a pretty shitty throw. Oh well, the cosmic balance evened out eventually.
Black lives matter!

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I always learned that if you're in fair territory, you have the potential to interfere. If you're on the foul side, you're in the clear. Not sure if that's the actual written rule, but it's always stuck with me that way.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So The Athletic wrote an article (not linked as it's behind a paywall) that basically says that this era of MLB baseball will not be defined by the home runs and strikeouts but by the lack of competitive clubs. Too many clubs don't bother to compete unless they can make the playoffs meaning past the wildcards and it's resulting in a lesser fan experience. (My opinion->)Tanking only really works if you're the only club doing it, if 80% of the teams tank, then it's nearly the same as 80% of the teams competing with the huge exception of the fan experience.

I wonder what the MLB will do about this, because losing fans eventually means losing money and they certainly don't want that. The NBA has made it much less likely that the worst performing team will get the top draft choice, although from what I can tell, players that are drafted high in baseball vs basketball have a much different experience.

What do you guys think?
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I think there is not enough quality pitching to go around, so the "have" teams gobble it all up. Teams without the great pitchers have no hope of competing.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:00 am I think there is not enough quality pitching to go around, so the "have" teams gobble it all up. Teams without the great pitchers have no hope of competing.
Bingo. Braves have decent pitching for the regular season but not for the playoffs. And with a corporation now owning them the bottom line is profit so they will never stock pile good pitchers like they did when Ted Turner owned them. They pay for a few elite players but not enough to go on a run in the playoffs. Teams like the Braves now really have to get really hot to win it all, and their best players are offensive and not pitching, and in the playoffs pitching matters.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

One option would be instituting a salary floor (or tax / penalty for spending to little on players) alongside the luxury tax / soft salary cap.
Black Lives Matter.