Game of Thrones Season 8

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:18 pm But I don't they fully developed Dany's descent into madness.
They did give us 5 full minutes of a monarch getting upset at her enemies at times though. Upset = madness I guess. :wink:
Covfefe!
morlac

Post by morlac »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

oh, i think at this point we're just having some fun with it. :P
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

morlac wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:14 pm
I don't think you understand--this is the internet.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've watched that Frozen video three times now and I'm still not sure how this is evidence that she was slowly going mad throughout the movie.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

How the hell did Elsa create that dress? Was it made of ice too???
morlac

Post by morlac »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:25 pm I've watched that Frozen video three times now and I'm still not sure how this is evidence that she was slowly going mad throughout the movie.
Are you kidding me? She froze the whole world! It was like a fire dragon but opposite! Disnefyied ending though. They didn't have to kill her to stop her terror campaign. She just needed a hug from her sister.
morlac

Post by morlac »

McNutt wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:14 pm How the hell did Elsa create that dress? Was it made of ice too???
Yes. My tongue even got stuck to it.

:horse:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

morlac wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:32 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:25 pm I've watched that Frozen video three times now and I'm still not sure how this is evidence that she was slowly going mad throughout the movie.
Are you kidding me? She froze the whole world! It was like a fire dragon but opposite! Disnefyied ending though. They didn't have to kill her to stop her terror campaign. She just needed a hug from her sister.
Actually one of my thoughts after Frozen was that there's no way that Elsa doesn't become a world-conquering tyrant in the following years. She can make an army of intelligent loyal ice monsters at will! To say nothing of her ability to freeze whole regions (and presumably armies). How could any neighboring cities / nations possibly hold out against her? So she clearly *can* conquer much of the known world, and the history of people getting that kind of power and not using it is less than great.

Hopefully this is all covered by Frozen 2. Then she'll get mournfully stabbed by a remorseful Anna at the end of Frozen 3.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Frozen 2: Ice to Meet You Again!

Frozen 2: The Freezening

Frozen 2: 1 Shade of Gray

Frozen 2: Who Let the Jarls Out
Covfefe!
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:18 pm But I don't they fully developed Dany's descent into madness.
What if descending wasn't involved? Some people can fly into a rage, but these people can also be as calm and controlled as anyone. I know a guy who I've seen punch holes in walls in rage, but it's not like you can tell by talking to him that he's capable of that. He doesn't walk around acting crazy. There is also no descent, or ascent, into rage for him. It's not there until it is, then it's gone again just as quickly. I imagine if he controlled a dragon and wanted to rule everyone there'd be some burning going on.
morlac

Post by morlac »

gameoverman wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:24 pm
What if descending wasn't involved? Some people can fly into a rage, but these people can also be as calm and controlled as anyone. I know a guy who I've seen punch holes in walls in rage, but it's not like you can tell by talking to him that he's capable of that. He doesn't walk around acting crazy. There is also no descent, or ascent, into rage for him. It's not there until it is, then it's gone again just as quickly. I imagine if he controlled a dragon and wanted to rule everyone there'd be some burning going on.
"that's my secret Capt... I'm always angry"

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Had those saved in an album already, did you?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Nah, Google fu
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gameoverman wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:24 pm
"He was such a nice man. Nobody could ever imagine he'd shoot up the Sunday school."
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I had no major issues with the final season, but after hearing a lot of arguments from people who did, I've come to agree that the rushed schedule created problems that should have never been an issue in the first place. If the writing was solid enough, there wouldn't be room for such controversy. As someone I listened to on a podcast put it, when you have not one but two egregious set dressing mistakes (Starbucks and water bottle) back to back, then obviously things are not normal.
morlac

Post by morlac »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:08 pmNah, Google fu
I clicked every one and no music played...for shame. Shame! Shame! Shame!

:mrgreen:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You wanted to hear the soundtrack from Mamma Mia?
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Despite its controversial final episodes, HBO’s unstoppable “Game of Thrones” earned 32 Emmy Award nominations on Tuesday morning, including best drama series, and shattered the record for the most nods for a show in a single season.
Time for the 'body of work' awards.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:01 pm WaPo
Despite its controversial final episodes, HBO’s unstoppable “Game of Thrones” earned 32 Emmy Award nominations on Tuesday morning, including best drama series, and shattered the record for the most nods for a show in a single season.
Time for the 'body of work' awards.
I thought it was cool all the ladies got nominated! You go girls!!! Doubtful any will win though since I'd imagine they will cancel each other out. Would love to see it go to Maisie Williams though.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

rittchard wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:51 pm I thought it was cool all the ladies got nominated! You go girls!!! Doubtful any will win though since I'd imagine they will cancel each other out. Would love to see it go to Maisie Williams though.
I love Lena Headley but did her S8 work really warrant an Emmy nom? She spent most of the season drinking wine and looking out a window.

I feel like that slot should have gone to Rhea Seehorn from Better Call Saul
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Exodor wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:21 pm
rittchard wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:51 pm I thought it was cool all the ladies got nominated! You go girls!!! Doubtful any will win though since I'd imagine they will cancel each other out. Would love to see it go to Maisie Williams though.
I love Lena Headley but did her S8 work really warrant an Emmy nom? She spent most of the season drinking wine and looking out a window.

I think these nominations were more of what they call a "body of work" type for the last chance they have to nominate them. Realistically it's hard for me to imagine Season 8 deserved more nominations than any other drama series ever.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

rittchard wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:43 pm
Exodor wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:21 pm

I think these nominations were more of what they call a "body of work" type for the last chance they have to nominate them. Realistically it's hard for me to imagine Season 8 deserved more nominations than any other drama series ever.
Yeah, it's a bit like when they waited for the LOTR trilogy to finish up to award the movies. To be honest, I'm mixed on that practice of waiting. It's nice to see something finally be recognized, but on the other hand it often puts emphasis on the latest release rather than the best that should be recognized.

If House of Cards were nominated, I'd prefer the 1st season get recognized rather than the awful final season.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Did GoT get the short shrift in prior years awards shows? I don't recall that was the case...those deserving got rewarded.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Exodor wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:21 pm I love Lena Headley but did her S8 work really warrant an Emmy nom? She spent most of the season drinking wine and looking out a window.

Hell, it should have gone to me if that's what it takes.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Can't find a thread dedicated to Game of Thrones prequels, but the Naomi Watts led prequel just got canned.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:12 pm Can't find a thread dedicated to Game of Thrones prequels, but the Naomi Watts led prequel just got canned.
Bummer. In other semi-related news, remember when DB/Dan crunched down the end of GoT cause they wanted to move on to do Star Wars? Well, they just got canned from Star Wars for the time being.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The report I read made it sound like they were the ones that left the Star Wars project due to a 200 million dollar contract with Netflix they just signed.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:35 pm The report I read made it sound like they were the ones that left the Star Wars project due to a 200 million dollar contract with Netflix they just signed.
Yeah, I've seen both perspectives, so I can't really tell whether they were allowed to leave Star Wars or 'allowed' to leave Star Wars.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:35 pm The report I read made it sound like they were the ones that left the Star Wars project due to a 200 million dollar contract with Netflix they just signed.
[Obi-Wan]
What I told you was true, from a certain point of view.
[/Obi-Wan]
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:12 pm Can't find a thread dedicated to Game of Thrones prequels, but the Naomi Watts led prequel just got canned.
Maybe the lackluster response to the final season made them panic. A prequel would have been in the planning stages before that final season ended. When something doesn't get a good response, sometimes it's a good idea to re-evaluate related projects.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've spent the last few months rewatching the series with the kids (it's their first viewing, now that they're old enough.) I've been paying very close attention to Daenerys. I've noticed a few trends.

She is sympathetic to people that she identifies with. Those people are very consistently people that she has something directly in common with (she was a sold against her will, thus was sympathetic toward slaves.) Anybody that she didn't personally identify with she could take or leave.

She has two distinct modes: thoughtful and impulsive. Her thoughtful mode was compassionate and very idealistic. It was 'grant freedom', and 'love the people' and she used her force of will and personality to make it happen. But when something went wrong, or when somebody crossed her, she went into impulsive mode. That was consistently an utterly vindictive, violent mode. Several times she gave an order to wipe out whole populations, to crush entire cities. It was only because of a small handful of close advisors that were able to jump in and cool her down that we didn't see near genocide every season or two.

I'm definitely seeing the basis for her season 8 snap being established, especially when she lost two dragons and suffered multiple betrayals, one after another in a short span. It was all there all along. The only thing wrong with season 8 was the way they presented her snap (bells? really? the audience is supposed to grasp that?)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Apparently HBO sent the Targaryen prequel straight to a full season order so....
Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:48 pm I've spent the last few months rewatching the series with the kids (it's their first viewing, now that they're old enough.) I've been paying very close attention to Daenerys. I've noticed a few trends.

She is sympathetic to people that she identifies with. Those people are very consistently people that she has something directly in common with (she was a sold against her will, thus was sympathetic toward slaves.) Anybody that she didn't personally identify with she could take or leave.

She has two distinct modes: thoughtful and impulsive. Her thoughtful mode was compassionate and very idealistic. It was 'grant freedom', and 'love the people' and she used her force of will and personality to make it happen. But when something went wrong, or when somebody crossed her, she went into impulsive mode. That was consistently an utterly vindictive, violent mode. Several times she gave an order to wipe out whole populations, to crush entire cities. It was only because of a small handful of close advisors that were able to jump in and cool her down that we didn't see near genocide every season or two.

I'm definitely seeing the basis for her season 8 snap being established, especially when she lost two dragons and suffered multiple betrayals, one after another in a short span. It was all there all along. The only thing wrong with season 8 was the way they presented her snap (bells? really? the audience is supposed to grasp that?)
All of what you describe is well-established in the books, but I still think the show minimized the risk of her Targaryen madness all along because it (that is, the showrunners) were over-invested in viewers loving Danny from start to (almost) finish. It's the same story with Tyrion, who is far darker and more morally ambiguous in the books than he is in the show.

Blame it on Emilia and Peter being such charismatic actors and the production team loving them.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:44 pm All of what you describe is well-established in the books, but I still think the show minimized the risk of her Targaryen madness all along because it (that is, the showrunners) were over-invested in viewers loving Danny from start to (almost) finish. It's the same story with Tyrion, who is far darker and more morally ambiguous in the books than he is in the show.

Blame it on Emilia and Peter being such charismatic actors and the production team loving them.
Heh, I never read the books but I did want to see a bit more of Tyrion's dark side. You could see it see it in season 1 but it was abandoned quickly. From the moment Dany's brother was killed, I didn't find her to be all that heroic. I found her to be despotic and not very altruistic at all. Being Fire and Ice, I assumed she was going to be hero and that felt wrong. She had no growth as a character. The moment she became "mother of dragons", her sense of divine entitlement and cruelty made her seem like another villain in a sea of villains to me. That probably says more about me than the story, I guess.

For me, in all of the stories the one I liked best Arya. I somehow hoped she would be the hero everyone was looking for. I'm hard pressed to come up with a narrative I have enjoyed more than the TV show portrayal of the story of Arya. She made mistakes. She Learned. She grew. Repeat. Others laid their paths before her. She learned from them and then went her own way. She had no destiny making her what she was and rejected what tried to impose destiny on her.

Still haven't seen the last season. I'm actually in no hurry. Season 7 really fell short for me, so I just haven't prioritized paying for Season 8. Maybe over Christmas.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:57 pm
Maybe the lackluster response to the final season made them panic. A prequel would have been in the planning stages before that final season ended. When something doesn't get a good response, sometimes it's a good idea to re-evaluate related projects.
I think that most studios would be pretty happy with the massive viewership and awards for Season 8, critical issues aside.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:44 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:48 pm I've spent the last few months rewatching the series with the kids (it's their first viewing, now that they're old enough.) I've been paying very close attention to Daenerys. I've noticed a few trends.

All of what you describe is well-established in the books, but I still think the show minimized the risk of her Targaryen madness all along because it (that is, the showrunners) were over-invested in viewers loving Danny from start to (almost) finish. It's the same story with Tyrion, who is far darker and more morally ambiguous in the books than he is in the show.

I dunno, I kind of think the dynamic is the reverse. People were rooting for Danaerys because Emilia Clarke is awesome and because she had enemies who were unlikeable and clearly morally bad (she spent most of the show fighting slavers, after all). And because people were rooting for Danaerys, they overlooked her occasional brutality and mad king tendencies that the show was hinting at.

And of course the book's going to be able to explore that more in detail, because they can get to inner monologues and because they effectively have more 'screen time'.
Black Lives Matter.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:48 pm
Yeah, it's not so much the idea that she snapped that many have objected to, but how that was achieved. Season 8, being as short as it was didn't give proper time to establish it, as the season was more concerned with getting to key goalposts and close things out. Had the season been longer, key details such as her downward spiral would have emerged to make the snap seem less like it came out of nowhere.

I felt somewhat the same way when Boardwalk Empire ended with a shorter season.
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:19 am I think that most studios would be pretty happy with the massive viewership and awards for Season 8, critical issues aside.
Oh, I have no doubt about the viewership numbers. It's been their most popular show, afterall, so they had that one locked-in. It's what happens afterwards, the critical reception. It must have given them pause. Although the funny thing is, I've seen Naomi Watts doing the round on talk shows, excited about doing a Game of Thrones prequel.
LordMortis wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:02 am From the moment Dany's brother was killed, I didn't find her to be all that heroic.
From what I recall, her brother conspired against her and put her in the situation she was in. So, she rebelled against the oppression.
Last edited by Rumpy on Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I worry a bit with the prequel decisions that it might be being driven by some HBO executive saying "we succeeded with Targaryans and dragons, therefore let's make the show with Targaryans and dragons", rather than on whether one prequel / concept / execution was better than another.
Black Lives Matter.