Steam Library

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Haranguer

Steam Library

Post by Haranguer »

I don't post very often but long time OO member. Love reading all the new posts, gamer for years. Just wondering what everyone thinks of the new Steam library format. For me way too cluttered & much prefer the old style. Maybe just too much of an olde farte but it is what it is. Any other opinions?
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
Daehawk

Re: Steam Library

Post by Daehawk »

Seems ok except the library section. it loads too slow, has too many pictures, and the games list stays black until I run my mouse over it. Plus it cuts off the games names with longer words. And you cant slide the game name box to make it wider / bigger.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm lazy, so I'll just quote my post from the other thread:
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:10 am It's a new interface. I figure I'll give myself some time to get used to it, and give them a little time to fix any issues, before I start going to such lengths to avoid it. As it is, my reaction reminds me a lot of when I made the transition from WindowsXP to Windows 7. I know now that my response was more a resistance to change than anything else.

Besides, I don't use the Steam interface that often. With games on Steam, GoG, Origin, Uplay, Epic, Bethesda, Battle.net, and Twitch, I use Playnite, a free interface which looks a lot like the old Steam, and combines the games from all of them (plus emulators.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Not a fan of the latest Steam library UI myself. Seems way too cluttered and more akin to a phone-like UI with gigantic, mobile-esque buttons than a desktop app. I also have no interest in adding community content to my library layout.

Thankfully, the workaround posted on Reddit provides a more minimalist, straightforward UI that I find preferable.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I wish something bad to the people involved with making this. All of them.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bah its always gotta be mobile this and mobile that these days and damn the rest of us. Millennials!! :)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It now takes an act of god to find how much time you have in a game.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hate that Steam doesn't keep a full history of your game play time and dates. Yes it will show last time played but as soon as you reinstall the game it changes to 'today'. Id love to see all the other times I installed and played it in the past. Some of those dates are special.
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:03 am It now takes an act of god to find how much time you have in a game.
Just click on the title. Time played is right at the top in the main window, under the picture.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Except it's not accurate if you've played recently.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

While I'm growing used to it, I honestly hated it the first time I saw it. It was buggy (sometimes I had to refresh a screen with F5 multiple times before anything would appear) and not all that intuitive.

And while I'm growing used to it, that doesn't mean I wouldn't trade it for the original in a heartbeat. I didn't see anything wrong with the older UI. Not sure why they felt the need to overhaul a good UI to begin with.
Covfefe!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Slay the Spire is very very slow to launch since the update.
This might not be caused by the update, but if it is, then I don't like it.
If not, then I'm indifferent. Either way, it will take some time for me to get used to it.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I killed my steam and it finally updated.

I don't have an issue with it. It still loaded quickly. Most importantly, my list is still on the left. Since that's how I always select what game I want, I don't really care about all the pictures. It makes it more colorful and a bit hectic, but I'll just ignore it. The only thing I see right now that I'll have to get used to is the font on the list was increased. But as my eyes seem to be going down hill as I get older, that may actually turn out to be useful.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The list of games on the left is pretty much the same, putting a game in a category takes 1 less click, when a game is selected the info on the right is more useful to me than what we used to have. I don't see a problem with it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I almost never go into the Steam app. I have a folder with all my games on my desktop. I use those shortcuts to launch them. It would have probably been a year for me to notice the change if it weren't for threads like this.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The one thing I would have liked is the ability to resize the tiles, something which GOG Galaxy 2.0 allows. Other than that, I don't have an issue with it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Holman

Post by Holman »

The little thing that bothers me most is that the highlight for installed games in your list is much less distinct than before.

I actually have to stare closely to see what's installed and what isn't. This is unpleasant.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This UI feels very Netflix-ified - like they expect me to be viewing this on a giant TV and using a controller to browse. I try to avoid the gut reaction of hating change, but it's really, really difficult here. It doesn't feel right for a computer monitor, mouse and keyboard.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hate when companies make changes that alienate their core to make happy with the newer masses.

I'm still having a LIBRARY glitch. If I click my LIBRARY button and don't move my mouse nothing changes. Its stays stuck on the front page. But if I move my mouse around it then it starts loading in popping stuff here and there. It's like scratching off a lotto card.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:59 pm Hate when companies make changes that alienate their core to make happy with the newer masses.
That is, unfortunately, how businesses continue to make money when their core evolves.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:34 pm This UI feels very Netflix-ified - like they expect me to be viewing this on a giant TV and using a controller to browse. I try to avoid the gut reaction of hating change, but it's really, really difficult here. It doesn't feel right for a computer monitor, mouse and keyboard.
I agree this feels very much in line with their long push to have people move to 'Big Picture' mode and 'console-ize' the experience. That said, I won't use it that way but I also don't mind the new library interface personally. There are even things I like very much such as the new timeline view. I feel it gives me visibility into my own trends.

I also very much like the dynamic list feature. I now have built a list of prioritized games I want to play. If I need to take a break on something big, I can park it and make sure I don't park it too long and forget where I was at.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

From the beta update yesterday:

Library
• Brought back Small Mode library view and updated to work with Steam Collections and the new Steam Library
• Added a library setting to hide game icons in the Steam Library’s left column game list
• Fixed download progress bar and status wrapping to a second line on game pages on smaller windows
• Compressed game page links bar to one line on smaller Steam windows
• Post-game summary, game review reminder and other dynamic content on game pages will now fill only one column on wider Steam windows
• Fixed occasional crashes caused when uninstalling games
• Fixed Steam client crash after exiting some AutoCloud-enabled games
• Fixed a case where game icons would sometimes not properly be downloaded and used for the game's desktop shortcut when installing a game. For for previously installed games affected by the problem, validating game contents and recreating the shortcuts should fix the issue.
-mf
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I used Steam for the first time in a while, and...

I'd prefer it in the old way of being able to list names (rather than pictures) that had lots of details (date, size, whether it had cloud saves, etc), that also allowed me to sort games different ways (eg, sort by size). :(
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Unfortunately they've made up their mind and have spent too much time and money to ever go back.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Defiant wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:13 pm I used Steam for the first time in a while, and...

I'd prefer it in the old way of being able to list names (rather than pictures) that had lots of details (date, size, whether it had cloud saves, etc), that also allowed me to sort games different ways (eg, sort by size). :(
If you prefer the old UI, check out the video I posted here. It shows how to easily revert back to the old Steam UI in 30 seconds (and prevent Steam from updating to the newer UI).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

There it a tiny button that allows you to easily swap between the full library, and only showing the installed games, and I really like that feature.

Other than that, get off my lawn!
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

As an old fart, I love the large icons. Titles were not sufficient to jog my memory of what games were about.
Now hopefully I will remember something about all the games I have never played.

It will also help if I sort my 500+ games into these 16 custom collections:

Old Faithful - the ones I will always return to.
Memory Lane - remakes, fond memory re-purchases
Once Upon a Time - adventure, wandering sims
Space Cadet - guess where all these games are played
Brain Busters - puzzle games
No-Brainers - match 3, solitaire, visual novels
The Sandbox - management sims, building games
Us vs. Them - 4X and tactical (turn-based)
Bang! You're Dead - 1st person shooters
Let's Party - multi-pc RPGs
Be A Hero - single-player RPGs
Make Me Laugh - containing lots of humor
Stayin' Alive - survival, rogue-likes
Faster, Faster - RTS, racing, platformers, action rpgs
Hoarder's Glory - never installed, want to someday
Hoarder's Shame - never installed, probably never will
Hall of Fame - finished and much loved.
Recyclables - the ones I tried (or didn't make Hall of Fame), but will never play again.

A lot of my games will end up in more than one collection.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.