NHL 2019-20 Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

gilraen

NHL 2019-20 Season

Post by gilraen »

How has no one started a thread yet? It's hockey season - woohoo!

I don't remember most Avalanche games having so many fights, let alone the first game of the season...
Jaymann

Re: NHL 2019-20 Season

Post by Jaymann »

Woohoo, the Ducks are undefeated!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I've been paying close attention this off season, and I'm subscribed to the package giving me all the games. I've got a paid subscription to The Athletic, which has phenomenal NHL coverage. I listen daily to NHL Network radio on Sirius/XM. But the reality is that even if my team beats all expectations, the best they could hope for (realistically) is sniffing at a chance at the post season. Even with tremendous improvement in the standings, the Atlantic Division is so stacked that there's a zero percent chance of my team beating out five other teams in its division.

That said, I'm super excited to watch the sport as a general fan. I'm glad the RFA situations got resolved and we get to see the best players on the ice. I'm pulling for underdog stories in COL, DAL, NYR, and CAR. I hope my team develops its young players, but I don't think every player we'd need to make a solid Cup run is yet on the books for the organization. We've got all our top picks from the past three drafts starting the season in our AHL affiliate (which makes the Grand Rapids Griffons the more exciting team to pay attention to compared to the Detroit Red Wings).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Ave looked really good last night.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Boston Bruins have 2 back-to-back goals overturned playing the Avs tonight. Pretty bizarre, but I'm happy to see it, considering how many goal reversals have been called against the Avs on the most minute technicalities (including one that cost them a playoff series last season).
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I don't believe they are playing a hockey season here again this year. All of our major sports teams appear to be in the "suck now and hope to get lucky with a high draft pick" mode.
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:48 am I don't believe they are playing a hockey season here again this year. All of our major sports teams appear to be in the "suck now and hope to get lucky with a high draft pick" mode.
Normally I would say it's only 2 games into the season and way too early to give it even the slightest thought of concern, but based on the author of this statement......nevermind....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stimpy wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:06 am
Jeff V wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:48 am I don't believe they are playing a hockey season here again this year. All of our major sports teams appear to be in the "suck now and hope to get lucky with a high draft pick" mode.
Normally I would say it's only 2 games into the season and way too early to give it even the slightest thought of concern, but based on the author of this statement......nevermind....
You're right. After all, ESPN has them ranked above Detroit, so I guess all sorts of awesomeness can be expected. They must be on top of the world!
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm close to getting NHL TV. Very close.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:26 am
stimpy wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:06 am
You're right. After all, ESPN has them ranked above Detroit, so I guess all sorts of awesomeness can be expected. They must be on top of the world!
Red Wings 3 -1
Blackhawks 0-2

:P

Though I think last year was the first year the Wings truly conceded, "it's time to let it all go, and build a foundation." Add Yzerman as the GM and I'll probably pay attention a bit this year, even if the team is no good and still has a couple/few years to cook. This is the team that will be built not the team that latched on to after its expiration date.

We'll see what the Illitches do with the Tigers after having destroyed the team's future to prolong their WS fantasy. I don't see being interested in them for several years to come. There is nothing here and nothing coming that I am aware of that says "this is what we will building" like they began with Pudge.

Pistons... They're a toy for whathisface and have already paid off for him. They can leave town and won't be missed as long he owns the team. He absolutely ruined them. Such a shame, Davidson was such a great owner.

It's weird, but I am actually interested in the Lions this year. Stafford is still not my guy, but he's found his heart. He's been slowly becoming a leader. I guess that means heartbreak is to follow.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Well, they are on the rise and Hawks clearly are not:
ESPN Power Rankings wrote:22. Chicago Blackhawks
Previous ranking: 21

Alexander Nylander is the next Stan Bowman reclamation. How's this for a hasty reaction? With a goal on opening night, obviously the Sabres' castoff will become the next Dylan Strome/Drake Caggiula type for Bowman's Blackhawks.

23. Anaheim Ducks
Previous ranking: 28

John Gibson is the best player on the team. He's 3-0-0 in three games and has stopped 98 of 101 shots on goal. Just like last season, he's carrying the Ducks to wins they might not otherwise deserve.

24. Detroit Red Wings
Previous ranking: 29

The top line is straight fire. The Wings have themselves something with Tyler Bertuzzi, Anthony Mantha and Dylan Larkin as their No. 1 forward unit. No, Mantha's five goals in three games isn't exactly what you'd call a sustainable pace. But no matter where the numbers end up, GM Steve Yzerman has to be thrilled with the way this trio plays.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

'Hawks are an objectively better team right now, but the Central Division is a lot like the Atlantic, where the top teams are way ahead of the other teams. I think it's fairer to compare the Blackhawks and the Sabres at this point.

I think it's fun that the Wings have put together a few good games to start the season, but an Anthony Mantha hot start and a pair of wins against second-string netminders (nice win over Carey Price, last night, however) isn't not bumping my assessment of the team above "hopeful to be in playoff contention at the end." 82 points remains my top-end hope.
The Meal

I beat pr0ner to it!

Post by The Meal »

sn.ca wrote:Twitterfolk anointed it the goal of the year, and one observer dubbed it the Music City Miracle.

Whatever it was that beat Pekka Rinne top shelf in the dying seconds of an improbable 6-5 overtime win over Nashville at Bridgestone Arena Thursday, there’s a feeling it may turn the fortunes of a flailing Flames club on a dime.

In a game that saw the Flames outshot 14-0 to start, trail 4-1 in the third and need a (second) game-tying goal with 39 seconds left, it was Tkachuk’s magic mitts that ended one of the team’s ugliest starts with the prettiest of goals.

As time seemed destined to expire on overtime, Tkachuk one-timed a rebound off a defender in the high slot with a between-the-legs buzzer beater that finished just under the bar.
Isgrimnur

Re: I beat pr0ner to it!

Post by Isgrimnur »

and one observer dubbed it the Music City Miracle.
glares in Buffalo Bill fan
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Beauty.

Screen door effect on that replay though. My eyes hurt.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:07 am Beauty.

That's an actual screen. It's the net at the of the rink to prevent the puck from killing kids.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I was watching live, and I still can't believe he pulled that off, even after watching it multiple times.

It's not the first between the legs goal Tkachuk's scored, and he tries that move fairly regularly, but I don't think I've seen him (or anyone) try it from the hashmarks like that.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:10 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:07 am Beauty.

That's an actual screen. It's the net at the of the rink to prevent the puck from killing kids.
Yeah, I realize that it's the netting. Just not used to cameras behind it.

MYT
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Vancouver goalie is not happy about being hung out to dry in OT...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Here's a bit more as to how that happened

www.cbc.ca/i/caffeine/syndicate/?mediaId=1636864579797
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

He was mad because they came back to tie it up late in the third and really throught they would win it. I don't think he was mad at his teammates, just a lost opportunity for the extra point.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I doubt many goalies are happy about facing a 3-0 breakaway.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

The Avalanche injuries are just piling up - defenseman, goalie, and two-thirds of the top line, with McKinnon also getting injured tonight (so potentially we just lost the ENTIRE top line). But hey...after a 5-game losing streak, they come back to whoop Nashville 9-4, with 6 goals scored in 8 minutes. :dance:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

gilraen wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:58 am The Avalanche injuries are just piling up - defenseman, goalie, and two-thirds of the top line, with McKinnon also getting injured tonight (so potentially we just lost the ENTIRE top line). But hey...after a 5-game losing streak, they come back to whoop Nashville 9-4, with 6 goals scored in 8 minutes. :dance:
Just came here to post that. According to the broadcasters, it was the 2nd fastest 6-goal scoring... avalanche... *ahem* in NHL history.

Early word on MacKinnon was that he was out as a precautionary measure, so hopefully he's good for tomorrow night (for which game I have tickets). Zadorov, on the other hand, looked like he took one pretty badly to the face.

And the Blackhawks won, too? It was a good day for hockey.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Blue Jackets' Nick Foligno suspended 3 games for the elbow hit on Bellemare on Saturday.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Don Cherry has finally been fired from HNIC.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

NHL 2019-20 Season

Post by Isgrimnur »

Boston.com
Don Cherry, the former Bruins coach whose garish attire and outlandish commentary made him a hockey broadcasting icon, was fired Monday by Sportsnet in Canada following remarks that singled out immigrants for not being patriotic.

The news, first reported by the Toronto Sun, comes two days after the 85-year-old Cherry ranted during his “Coach’s Corner” segment on a “Hockey Night In Canada” broadcast about the lack of poppies he had seen people wearing leading up to Remembrance Day in his hometown of Mississauga, Ontario, as well as Toronto.

“Following further discussions with Don Cherry after Saturday night’s broadcast, it has been decided it is the right time for him to immediately step down,’’ said Sportsnet president Ben Yarbley in a statement.

Cherry intimated that immigrants, referred to his comments as “you people,’’ were neglecting to pay proper tribute.

“You people love — you, that come here, whatever it is — you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey. At least you could pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada. These guys paid the biggest price.”
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

"also, get off my lawn," he added.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

A bit of a surprise that this event is ultimately what does Don Cherry in, but I feel like the refs have made the call the other way a few times, and it was obvious that the next decision was going against him. It doesn't help that Rogers is so far behind on their current NHL contract that shaking things up (I assume Brian Burke will be taking over the Coach's Corner role, so how much of an ideological shake up is this, really?) in an effort to draw more viewers seemed inevitable.

I've seen Cherry supporters claim that this firing was trying to make Remembrance Day all about the firing rather than focusing on the spirit of the day.

Oh, and how about that Robby Fabbri? :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

gilraen wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:38 pm Blue Jackets' Nick Foligno suspended 3 games for the elbow hit on Bellemare on Saturday.
The Player Safety video
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Apparently player safety doesn't extend to a player laying on the ice bleeding from his head - and the refs decide that he doesn't meet the criteria of "gravely injured" and let the play go on. Just un-fucking-believable.

They didn't even bother stopping the play AFTER the goal to clean up the blood from the ice. Avs ended up winning it in OT, but as far as I'm concerned, Vancouver didn't deserve this point.

Second time in 2 weeks that this happens to the Avs. Last week Zadorov took a puck to the jaw - broken jaw, bleeding profusely, and the refs didn't blow the whistle either. He had to keep skating until he himself managed to get possession of the puck and force play stoppage.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm pretty sure league guidelines call for stoppage of play only in the event of decapitation, deboweling, or loss of more than 3 quarts of any bodily fluid.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comments ... ucks-score
But the Colorado Avalanche saw something else. They watched another teammate laying on the ice, bleeding – again – after being hit in the head with the puck while play was allowed to continue. They viewed what happened to Calvert as a player safety issue and one that should have resulted in the game immediately stopping so a player could receive immediate medical attention.

Escaping Rogers Arena with a 5-4 overtime win Saturday did not matter because all they could think about was Calvert.

“It’s a *#$%@& joke man and I’ve talked about it already,” said Avalanche alternate captain and defenseman Erik Johnson, who was referencing a postgame radio interview he gave with the team’s flagship station that also needed to be censored on a seven-second tape delay. “Like, you want to protect a guy? The guy’s got a family at home. He’s laying there bleeding out of his head and they don’t blow the *#$%@& whistle? It’s a complete joke. It’s an absolute joke and they should be ashamed of themselves.”
The Meal

Good night, Babs

Post by The Meal »

MAF ends Babcock's season (again — :( ). Cannot believe Blashill outlasted him.

Mike Babcock, six years in Toronto. Zero playoff series wins.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Good night, Babs

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The Meal wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:08 pm

MAF ends Babcock's season (again — :( ). Cannot believe Blashill outlasted him.

Mike Babcock, six years in Toronto. Zero playoff series wins.
Watch the score overlay on the top left. :lol:

MYT
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

:lol: I missed that.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well, it was a nice shot...
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'll be surprised if Bill Peters coaches another game in the NHL, let alone for the Flames. Ugh.

Edit: Was just fired by the Flames. Maybe. There are conflicting reports amongst Canadian hockey media.

The spark for all this:

Last edited by pr0ner on Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hodor.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I miss hockey. Since I got married I never seem to be able to have time to sit and watch a game. As bad as the Wings are I'd still love to watch a few of their games. :(
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »