Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: Random randomness

Post by Skinypupy »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:33 pm News is reporting on that Wild Wings chemical death as an employee having chlorine bleach-based product, Super 8 on the floor to clean it and somehow the acid-based cleaner Scale Kleen got kicked over and mixed with it. Other sites claim they were both put on the floor. Shrug.
I’ve read this three times and have no idea what it means.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:51 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:33 pm News is reporting on that Wild Wings chemical death as an employee having chlorine bleach-based product, Super 8 on the floor to clean it and somehow the acid-based cleaner Scale Kleen got kicked over and mixed with it. Other sites claim they were both put on the floor. Shrug.
I think they are saying that the Super 8 got mixed in with Scale Kleen, which produced the lethal gas. The disagreement is only as to how Scale Kleen ended up on the floor - some sites say it was accidentally knocked over and spilled, others say the manager was attempting to clean the floor with both chemicals at the same time.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gilraen wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:00 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:51 pm
I think they are saying that the Super 8 got mixed in with Scale Kleen, which produced the lethal gas. The disagreement is only as to how Scale Kleen ended up on the floor - some sites say it was accidentally knocked over and spilled, others say the manager was attempting to clean the floor with both chemicals at the same time.
I learned the hard way that bleach and ammonia don't mix when mopping a concrete floor in my first janitorial job. Had to exit the building and air it out, and my lungs burned for days afterward. "The primary toxic chemical formed by this reaction is chloramine vapor, which has the potential to form hydrazine (a rocket fuel). ... Mixing bleach and ammonia also produces chlorine gas, which has been used as a chemical weapon." This is not the kind of wisdom that teenage janitors intuitively know.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've had a few lungfuls of chlorine gas myself. Nasty stuff.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

In the army they subjected us to cs gas about once a year.
I don't know why. It's not like we were going to get used to it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The reasoning is that if you know what to expect, you're less likely to panic if you encounter it in the field. I've been sprayed with both tear gas and pepper spray so many times based on that reasoning that I've lost track.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:20 pm The reasoning is that if you know what to expect, you're less likely to panic if you encounter it in the field. I've been sprayed with both tear gas and pepper spray so many times based on that reasoning that I've lost track.
Remember, no means no.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:20 pm The reasoning is that if you know what to expect, you're less likely to panic if you encounter it in the field. I've been sprayed with both tear gas and pepper spray so many times based on that reasoning that I've lost track.
That's what they told us. But why every year?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

There are stories of cat owners discovering long-term cat piss and trying to clean it with bleach. Cat piss is heavy on ammonia.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ding dang bureaucracy. Reading all I can over and over online at the requirements for SNAP benefits, even back when my wife was alive and they kept turning us down, I meet at least 3 or more qualifications to receive the max amount per month. But when you tell them that and prove it they simply quote some other items and deny or minimize your benefits. With me Im a certain age, Im disabled, and I live alone and have a shit income. Those 4 things each on their own should do it but I swear I get the minimum they allow and Im lucky to get it because they used to quote something and blame that for not getting any at all. And all my stuff should automatically override any other requirements. ARGH so frustrating to deal with the government.

I dont even get to see a person now. I get a phone interview. All it is is Who are you? Anything changed? Ok thanks you'll hear from us in a few weeks. Bye. Well this time Im calling them out on all this and the requirements..
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

They cut us down to $5 a month when I quit using it. Don't even remember what the password is now.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Campbell's has some soup commercial that plays an old sounding song. Makes me think or and want to replay Fallout 4 when I hear it. But I did everything in that game.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

its Monday. its not exactly a holiday. I am the only one on shift in my role, although I do have team mates at work.
I don't particularly feel like working, but after being on shift for only two hours, i feel like I have already exhausted the appeal of (safe for work) reddit
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Time to go mobile.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I scheduled a half-day for myself today, because I have stuff to do this afternoon. It's snowing like the middle of winter right now (probably about 3 inches on the ground and it's still coming), so I made the decision to just work from home this morning. That means I'm sitting on my bed trying to work because it's a day off for the twins and they're wreaking holy havoc downstairs. Still, I didn't have to trudge through the snow!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:55 pm That means I'm sitting on my bed trying to work because it's a day off for the twins and they're wreaking holy havoc downstairs.
I know those feels, man. :(

Our entire office flooded a couple weeks ago when a water main broke under our mailroom. There was about a foot of water throughout almost the entire building by the time the city got things shut off. They're now in complete remodel mode, with everything being torn to shreds while they do repair and restoration.

My office was one of three that was spared any flood damage, but it's impossible to work there right now. Between the constant construction noise, the massive fans that are still trying to dry everything out, and the itchy eyes from all the dust, I have to work from home for at least the next month(ish).

The kids are thankfully in school for most of the day, but I sure do miss my nice dual monitor setup from the office. Working off my single laptop screen is puppies.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Random randomness seems to be the best place to announce that The Soup is coming back to E!
The NBCUniversal-owned cable network on Sunday announced that it is reviving the pop culture talk show a mere three years after the Joel McHale-hosted series signed off. Comedian and actress Jade Catta-Preta will host the series when it returns in early 2020.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Half inch of sleet and frozen rain up here. We're stuck for awhile.
Supposed to get down to 13 tonite with a high of thirty tomorrow.
Anybody know what happened to fall?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:28 pm Half inch of sleet and frozen rain up here. We're stuck for awhile.
Fall fell back and Winter sprang forward.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

I don't think I'm that far off-base in saying that the soundtrack to Conan the Barbarian is a masterpiece.
18-1™ & 2-0
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

say i buried a dead something in the ground. ok, it's a raccoon and it's been under the soil a year. how long do i have to wait until it's been worm-eaten enough to dig back up and prettify the skeleton for display?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:35 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:28 pm Half inch of sleet and frozen rain up here. We're stuck for awhile.
Fall fell back and Winter sprang forward.
The deep freeze is going to get here tomorrow night after a rainy day. Since I just fixed my lawnmower yesterday, that gave me exactly today to get all the leaves raked and mowed and bagged. After walking 2.4 miles this morning, I spent 4 hours doing that today and ALMOST got the whole yard cleaned up. Now I'm exhausted.

Might get an opportunity late this week to finish the cleanup, but I'm not going to worry about it if I can't. Winter is early this year.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ugh, have to drive to Evanston tomorrow. Had the option of a phone conference but 2 weeks ago I was encouraged to go in person so I agreed. Whole morning was free so why not? A little face time and a nice fall drive.

It's going to be like 20 degrees. Ugh, I say again.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I need to set up my 6 month post kidney surgery appointment but Im waiting until next week.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not sure where this one fits. Its pics of how San Diego has changed since 1876.

https://www.sandiegomagazine.com/San-Di ... ince-1876/

Enlarge Image
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

pretty cool.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:31 pm say i buried a dead something in the ground. ok, it's a raccoon and it's been under the soil a year. how long do i have to wait until it's been worm-eaten enough to dig back up and prettify the skeleton for display?

It depends heavily on where you live, what the soil was like, and what the weather was like. The biggest problem is that burying bones often leads to the degradation of the bones themselves. Those who collect skeletons and don't use beetles will get a wire cage, stake it down out of the way, and put the corpse in there so that the insects can get in, but predators can't. Being above ground means that the bones aren't basically soaking in bacteria laden water, too. Then, after the majority of the meat it gone, the bones get soaked in a solution (I believe borax and water, but you'd have to check) to loosen the remaining flesh, which is brushed away. After that, they are soaked in a peroxide solution to re-whiten them, but not long enough to rubberize them.

You'd want to look up the specifics, but I recall that you can get everything you need from your local Wal-Mart. I've only done it a couple of times, and it was years ago (and one was a raccoon.)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:00 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:31 pm say i buried a dead something in the ground. ok, it's a raccoon and it's been under the soil a year. how long do i have to wait until it's been worm-eaten enough to dig back up and prettify the skeleton for display?

It depends heavily on where you live, what the soil was like, and what the weather was like. The biggest problem is that burying bones often leads to the degradation of the bones themselves. Those who collect skeletons and don't use beetles will get a wire cage, stake it down out of the way, and put the corpse in there so that the insects can get in, but predators can't. Being above ground means that the bones aren't basically soaking in bacteria laden water, too. Then, after the majority of the meat it gone, the bones get soaked in a solution (I believe borax and water, but you'd have to check) to loosen the remaining flesh, which is brushed away. After that, they are soaked in a peroxide solution to re-whiten them, but not long enough to rubberize them.

You'd want to look up the specifics, but I recall that you can get everything you need from your local Wal-Mart. I've only done it a couple of times, and it was years ago (and one was a raccoon.)
good info to know. probably too late for this one.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

*cough* By 'predators', I meant 'scavengers', of course. I was testing you. You failed. :ninja:
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

My Dad just hangs buck skulls in a plum tree in his back yard for a few years. Weathers them up nice and freaks out the squares.

At one time there were 6 or 8 of various ages of decomposition in a pretty small and gnarled tree. Real horrorshow...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Does he have a large collection of bladed or powered cutting implements? A basement which you're not allowed to access?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Are you all Predators in disguise?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:29 pm Are you all Predators in disguise?
"Scavengers"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

VH1 runs a show called Cartel Crew that essentially glorifies the families of Cartel heads? :shock:
In season 1, we showed you why the murders of an innocent family who witnessed a deal gone wrong was absolutely necessary for me to get a new yacht. In season 2, you can see me ride around in it!
Sometimes I friggin' hate humanity.
He won. Period.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Happy Whale Explosion Anniversary!
FLORENCE, Ore. (KATU) – It was the whale explosion seen ‘round the world. Today, November 12, 2019, marks the 49th anniversary of KATU's infamous whale explosion.

When a 45-foot, 8-ton whale washed ashore on a beach near Florence in November 1970, the Department of Transportation had a stinky situation on its hands. They had to figure out what to do with the massive corpse.

It had been so long since a whale had washed up in Lane County, that no one could remember how to get rid of one.

In selecting its battle plan, the Oregon State Highway Department decided the carcass couldn't be buried because it might be uncovered. It couldn't be cut up and then buried because no one wanted to cut it up, and it couldn't be burned, so dynamite it was - some 20 cases, or a half ton of it.

KATU’s Paul Linnman was at the scene reporting and recording when the blubber went “boom.” The camera stopped rolling immediately after the blast, but Linman recalls making his way out of the area as huge chunks of blubber fell everywhere.
:doh: :lol:

Also,

:shock: Holy shit. :clap:
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Woo-hoo, the new Jack Reacher novel is out! (well, okay, it's been out for a couple of weeks, but I just realized it today)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Trent Steel wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:31 pm I don't think I'm that far off-base in saying that the soundtrack to Conan the Barbarian is a masterpiece.
After reading this I asked my daughter if she knew the answer to the riddle of steel. Unfortunately she did not and I’m going to have to have a discussion with her teachers later this week at her parent teacher conference.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »