What are your next major purchases?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: What are your next major purchases?

Post by Jeff V »

We had a lot of trees too, including 2 apple and 1 pear tree. I'd almost give you the win, but my suffering was done before Walkmans were invented. The only sound besides the sometimes howling wind was that of our own whimpering.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:31 pm
Jeff V wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:09 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:01 pm
The Meal wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:08 pm

Even nicer is having a yard small enough to just use a reel mower. :D
Grass shears here.
I grew up on a 1/4 acre lot and have bitter memories of my dad locking my brother and I out of the house until we finished cutting the grass -- sometimes 6" tall and wet from rain with a goddamn reel mower. We would each grab one half of the handle then with a run start charge into uncut grass; if lucky making it about a foot before being stopped cold. Lather, rinse, repeat and we'd be done in mere 6 hours.

Now I live on a 1/3 acre lot. I'm tempted to pass that legacy of animosity to my own kids, but if the grass gets that long the HOA sends me nastygrams that would eventually turn into fines.
I grew having to mow a 4 acre front lawn and 1 acre back lawn with a push mower. After picking up about 8 trees' work of apples. Then mow around several out-buildings and a barn. Then I'd have to mow 8 acres of field with a tractor. Half my allowance was spent on batteries for my Walkman (tm).
I call bullshit. I never saw John-Boy Walton wearing a Walkman.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

stessier wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:53 am
Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:52 am
stessier wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:36 am I'm curious what part of it died? I went on Youtube and was able to save mine by cleaning some supposedly "not serviceable" sensors.
It's been leaking from the bottom for a few months now. I have to sponge up a cup of water off the floor every time...annoying, but not a critical failure. The bayonet fitting that secures the hose to the faucet doesn't grip tightly, causing unpredictable spraying...that can go beyond annoying into a serious mess. And just last week the door handle broke; every time I close it, I'm unsure whether the latch will open again. That was the final straw.
Ah, you win. :) Hope the new one exceeds expectations!
Sad thing is, the "dead" one still cleans dishes just fine.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:43 pm Sad thing is, the "dead" one still cleans dishes just fine.
But do you want to risk it flat-lining when it's your turn to do the dishes?
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I am the dish washer.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:19 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:43 pm Sad thing is, the "dead" one still cleans dishes just fine.
But do you want to risk it flat-lining when it's your turn to do the dishes?
It is always my turn to do the dishes, just as it is always my turn to cook, and to do the marketing. Wife kind of isn't allowed in the kitchen.

And no, that's why I'm putting it out to pasture. It might have one more wash in it, or five, or even 12, but it's approaching catastrophic failure from three directions.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My lawnmower's pull cord frayed and broke, so I spent $4 on a new rope and $33 to make my socket wrench set functional again, found a youtube video, and started disassembling. All went fine until I bungled removing the spring assembly and the spring went sproing. After much effort I kind of, sort of, got it back together again, but not functionally. Ran out of daylight and left my mower in pieces.

I just bought a rewind pulley and spring assembly for $24, with delivery in one week. I'm about 90% confident that's the right part, and 75% confident that I can complete the repair when I get it. However, if I fail again, I'm going to need a new lawnmower. My 25-year-old Craftsman (6.5 hp Briggs & Stratton engine) has enough other problems that it is not worth taking to a repair shop.

So: what can you tell me about electric mowers? A very cursory look tells me that corded ones are really cheap, like under $200, whereas cordless cost at least twice as much. I don't have a huge yard, but it's not tiny, either; I would need a really, really long extension cord (at least 100', maybe more like 150') and the thought of dragging that around without running over it isn't pleasant. OTOH, we don't plan to stay in this house more than another five years, tops, and I might not need a mower at all in my next living situation, so I don't want to go too deluxe -- it's not like I'm going to be using it for another 20 years. I don't have hills so I don't need self-propulsion.

It's going to be a week before I know whether I can salvage the old Craftsman or not, so what advice can you give me in the meantime? Are battery-powered mowers ready for prime time, or should I look at another gas burner?

EDIT to add: In the fall, I use my mower to chop leaves. Running over leaves with a lawnmower reduces their volume by 75% and greatly reduces the bending needed to pick them up. So I need pretty good power and bagging capacity -- I am concerned that a battery-powered mower will choke when running over big piles of leaves...and I see that I can get a robust gas-powered mower for under $300.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm going to go and buy two steaks tomorrow.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:57 pm Next big "purchase" looks likely to be more medical expenses. Not this year as we capped, but likely to into 2020, so we can quickly polish off the out of pocket max for the kid at the start of the year (or at least our deductible).
Actually, I will incur expenses related to this this year - just not medical directly. Hotels, gas, out to eat, providing money/food for the kid for one meal a day... see this could be $1,000 or more by the end of the year if she's there that long.

Worth it if it really helps her.

Not so much if it doesn't. :(
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:11 pm I'm going to go and buy two steaks tomorrow.
If you wait until 9PM sometimes Walmart marks them down. :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never buy meats at Walmart. Its all full of salt water to weigh them down plus they are tough.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:26 am Never buy meats at Walmart. Its all full of salt water to weigh them down plus they are tough.
You are saying they brine all their meat?
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

ambulance, emergency room, urgent care, hospital, imaging and appointment expenses for my bike accident in April. happened just three days before my health insurance kicked in so that hurt (financially as well as physically)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:18 pm ambulance, emergency room, urgent care, hospital, imaging and appointment expenses for my bike accident in April. happened just three days before my health insurance kicked in so that hurt (financially as well as physically)
:shock: :(
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Order Blinkx wireless video security system with extra mounting bits. Got the older XT instead of the newer XT2 to save some money. It's supposed to be "indoor only", but it should work fine if I put it in a housing and it goes under an awning. I can mix cameras if I want XT2's later.

Oh, and the Chromebook 2-1 convertible should be coming in Friday.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I am still waiting for my lawnmower part to arrive. The shipper uses FedEx, so it will take a week from MI to MA if it arrives at all. After it arrives I'll know if I need a new lawnmower or not (scroll up 9 or 10 posts). Thanks for all your opinions on that, BTW. :wink:
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kraken wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:15 am I am still waiting for my lawnmower part to arrive. The shipper uses FedEx, so it will take a week from MI to MA if it arrives at all. After it arrives I'll know if I need a new lawnmower or not (scroll up 9 or 10 posts). Thanks for all your opinions on that, BTW. :wink:
I have a 5 year old electric Kobalt 40V lawnmower. The newer ones are more powerful. It is great. The bagger on it is not huge, however, so expect to empty it frequently if you are going to be running over a ton of leaves. Also, don't rake the leaves into a huge pile - just mow the yard like normal. Shouldn't be an issue.

My lot is about 0.15 acres (including the part covered by the house) and I use about 2x 40V-4.0ah batteries.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:18 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:31 pm

I grew having to mow a 4 acre front lawn and 1 acre back lawn with a push mower. After picking up about 8 trees' work of apples. Then mow around several out-buildings and a barn. Then I'd have to mow 8 acres of field with a tractor. Half my allowance was spent on batteries for my Walkman (tm).
I call bullshit. I never saw John-Boy Walton wearing a Walkman.
Sure, but he was my uncle. He wound up running off to Vegas and marrying a showgirl. Last I heard he was managing a liquor store in Reno. And that was 15 years ago. The Christmas cards stopped coming around then.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
naednek

Post by naednek »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:18 pm ambulance, emergency room, urgent care, hospital, imaging and appointment expenses for my bike accident in April. happened just three days before my health insurance kicked in so that hurt (financially as well as physically)
were you at least hit by an ambulance?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

naednek wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:31 pm
were you at least hit by an ambulance?
i was hit by an outrageously high ambulance bill
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ba dum bum
ManAboutNothing

Post by ManAboutNothing »

My major purchase came sooner than I wanted -- my old laptop gave up the ghost. But this new one is pretty spiffy; SSD drives are a whole different beast than mechanical ones!
Derek
Very part-time indie developer and full time internet business tinkerer/failure/blunderer
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

How big is your SSD drive?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
ManAboutNothing

Post by ManAboutNothing »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:53 am How big is your SSD drive?
1TB, which I wasn't sure if they even made those mainstream yet, but it is apparently. Loads everything in a few seconds pretty much. Got a great deal too thankfully. Not sure I could ever go back to a regular hard drive again, would seem creaky as heck.
Derek
Very part-time indie developer and full time internet business tinkerer/failure/blunderer
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm jealous.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My lawnmower part arrived today and it looks like the right one. Tomorrow we'll see if I can bring my old mower back to life. Sacrifice a goat for me.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Chromebook has arrived and messing with it. Now waiting for the security camera system.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Success! Betcha didn't see that coming...I know I didn't. The pulley assembly went together quickly; mounting it back on the engine, less so. After reattaching the gas tank I tried to start it, and...nothing. Didn't even turn over. I fought the temptation to surrender and took it apart again for one more look. Sure enough, I had put the pressure plate on askew (and cracked its housing slightly in the process). Re-seated that little thing, put everything together again, and...it started on the first pull.

My next major purchase will NOT be a lawnmower! IDK how much useful life this one still has in it, but I think it'll get me thru leaf season.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Anyone has one of those MIDI piano keyboards? I was thinking about getting one for myself (always wanted a musical instrument). And I can get some good piano lessons for like $20. And I can get respectable keyboards on Amazon for well under $100, depending on how wide I really want it. OTOH, I'm kinda "iffy" on it, as I'm not REALLY sure I want one. :D
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:40 pm Anyone has one of those MIDI piano keyboards? I was thinking about getting one for myself (always wanted a musical instrument). And I can get some good piano lessons for like $20. And I can get respectable keyboards on Amazon for well under $100, depending on how wide I really want it. OTOH, I'm kinda "iffy" on it, as I'm not REALLY sure I want one. :D
i would personally pay extra and get one with weighted keys (with appropriate sound feedback... e.g. you press the key lightly, and the sound is softer - bang on it and the sound is louder). it really makes a difference and establishes the gap between 'playing-piano-feeling' and 'tapping-on-cheap-plastic-switches-feeling'
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Washer and Dryer because my washer KERSPLODED into pieces yesterday. Thankfully it didn't leak any water. I've spent so much money in the last 3 months on this house. :grund: Washer was 17 years old so I cant really complain too much. As we have to stack them I really have to replace them both or get really creative. As the dryer is 17 years old too I figure I'm better off just replacing at the same time.

The washer and dryer have an app. The only use I will have for this is to turn it on to frighten people. :lol: I guess if I had a large house I could see it being useful.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We bought all new appliances when we bought our house 30 years ago. All of them have been replaced except (drum roll) the washing machine. I would not have bet on that one to win the appliance lottery, but it's still sloshing away. To be fair, the original refrigerator might have won; we only replaced it to take advantage of an energy-saving upgrade program from our utility (and the new fridge really did cut our electric bill by $20/mo).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

An app for a dryer? I cant imagine running a dryer without me nearby the whole time. Thats a good way to burn your house down.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:02 pm Chromebook has arrived and messing with it. Now waiting for the security camera system.
Decided I have to get an Echo Show (original) to control the camera system. *sigh*
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Our electric stove decided to quit working over the weekend so we went out yesterday and bought a new pretty one. It was 26 years old. We knew eventually we would be replacing it but had hoped maybe it would last until a possible kitchen remodel in 5-10 years. But, things don't always work out that way. It is a standard GE but thanks to holiday sales we got it for $550 plus tax. It does to convection cooking as well if you want, which may be nice.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

What are your next major purchases?

Post by Zarathud »

New tires. There’s a lot of construction around me and I hit a part of the road where the asphalt was ripped out while making a turn. Heard a nasty “thunk”. By the next streetlight, I noticed the car pulling to the left. Then I turned off the radio and heard the floppy tire. Made it the last 1/2 mile to my house and parked in the garage so my lovely wife can deal with the driver’s front tire while I’m at work. Sigh.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

We're being gifted a little money, and then probably bearing a lot more from the same source.

Casement around our main door has issues from wind blowing the screen/storm door until ripped the anchor thing that prevents it form opening all the way applies pressure to close it out of the casement. Tearing some of the wood. Screwed it back in best I could but it did it again. Screwed it back in again, but the screen door doesn't always shut well, and has some issue with the bottom trim coming off.

Need new casement - which effectively means new pre-hung door, and want a new screen door. Current door is full size window with a little frame around it. We can take the window out and put a screen in, but old cat ripped big holes in the screen making a cat door for himself. Figure even if we fix screen, current cat will do the same. So we want to get one with sliding thing so it's only about 2/3rds of the door and 1/2 and 1/2 of that, we can pull down the top to open the window and have a screen, let air in during nice days.

Apparently though, Home Depot considers it a custom door, and we were looking at nearly $2k for the door/installation - w/o even getting the screen door. It's not that we want Home Depot to install it necessarily, just that we know if we pay for them to do it, it will get done! We've had bad luck trying to get independent contractors to even come here for stuff like this. One showed up to get info for replacing our deck, never called back w/ estimate, most never show for the initial appoint to get info/provide estimate.

But I have a relative who does work who can do it for us (have to pay him, but I know we can trust the quality of the work and he estimated $1200, including the storm door - hell of a lot better than Home Depot).

Also thinking we may borrow money and replace our flooring. Carpeting needed to be replaced when we moved in 16.5 years ago. Shockingly, that situation has not improved by our lack of doing anything about it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

A house. :shock: :shock: :shock:

We've finally reached the point where we're ready to seriously start looking, with a goal of being out of our current house next year. I'm not worried about being able to sell ours because our local housing market is on fire right now. But that also means finding a home is going to be tough since demand is vastly outstripping supply.

We've been in our current home 17 years, and it's seen us go from newlyweds living the free life to an old married couple with two quickly growing kids who don't want to share a room anymore. The house is old, the neighborhood is old, and we're ready to start fresh.

While it's a little scary, we've had two different sets of friends who have been through the process within the last year. So we've gotten tons of advice on pitfalls to avoid, as well as plenty of good recommendations on realtors, contractors, etc.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We've been saying the house thing for a couple of years now, but still haven't pulled the trigger. The biggest obstacle seems to be getting the current house ready for market. It's not like it will take long to sell (like you, we live in a booming market), but we want to get the best price for it and that means getting a lot of stuff done (cheap stuff, but time consuming) and doing a lot of organizing. A house develops a lot of clutter over 15 years!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Furnace failed once a few days ago. Just once. But it being below freezing we didn't want to risk it. Had the heating and cooling got come out, he said everything looked fine. So dodged a bullet there. Thought for sure I'd get hit since I just dropped roughly the amount of a new heater/AC unit on the wife's birthday present.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT