[series] The Mandalorian ......Disney

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: [series] The Mandalorian ......Disney

Post by Holman »

The Meal wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:45 am
Holman wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:15 pm Apparently, as a Verizon Fios customer I'm getting Disney+ free for a full year, but I haven't yet received the email (said to be out today) with the sign-up link.
As a Verizon wireless customer, my text message indicating one free year of Disney+ (though I must pay tax) arrived on the evening of 11/15.

I enjoyed the first episode and will continue watching.
Mine finally came too.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm only eligible if I upgrade from our current plan to something more expensive. It would be easier just to subscribe to Disney+.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I have to walk back my criticism of the effects a bit. The second episode of The Mandalorian looked pretty damn good.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I've enjoyed it quite a bit so far. I like how they're taking familiar SW situations (jawas... IG droids... bounty hunting...) and weaving them into this new character's story. Meaning that if this was a story about an established character, there's only so much dramatic latitude you have. Here, it's wide open, but still seems familiar because of all the traditional SW trappings.

My only complaint is the short episodes. Hopefully we get some longer stories in the coming weeks.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

So far the wife and I still love this (and she is still swooning over Baby Yoda. I am assuming there will eventually be a plethora of merch for him/her but will be surprised if Disney is able to get it out before XMas.)
We also agree that longer episodes would be great. Im not sure if they are short due to cost or if Disney was hedging their bets to see if there is any backlash like the recent movies have gotten from some people,
When I first saw pics or the Mandorlorian I wasn't a fan of his armor because it looked like Disney had cheaped out on ts production, but now I understand that its on purpose and like the way its going so that eventually we will get to see his "real" armor.
We also like the story line so far but I';m not convinced it will be the series story line yet. I think it may be a means to an end and I can see him turning over Baby Yoda to the doc, but at some point in the future going back to rescue it.
My son enjoys it as well, but he was confused how they didn't seem to know much about the force and Jedi's and what not.
I explained that where it takes place, there probably weren't many, if any in the area and its probably looked ta like a myth or a legend. Nothing "real" that actually happens.
I pointed out that in a New Hope, Even Han was dismissive about Jedi and the force and referred to it as an ancient religion, so its not quite as in your face as it might have been in the past.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya Im sure theres no holotapes of Jedi or anything :) Its only been what 20 years or so? We know about disco and crimped hair and Nazis. Im sure they should know of Jedi. Hell we know history of the Romans 2000 years ago.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's Star Wars canon. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ For the masses, the Force had been forgotten or reduced to a myth by the time of A New Hope.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've always looked at it as a massive Empire propaganda campaign to wipe out any record of the Jedi and dismiss any evidence of them as "fake news." The threat of retaliation would prevent the older generation from speaking about them, and the younger generation would grow up in a world where it was branded as myth. Couple that with the relatively small number of Jedi spread out among a vast galaxy and it may not be a stretch that they are forgotten in a couple of decades.

Ok, it's still a stretch, but I'm sticking with my justification. :D
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm fine with the shorter length episodes as long as they tell a complete, well written, pad free story.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Too late. :)
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:02 pm I've always looked at it as a massive Empire propaganda campaign to wipe out any record of the Jedi and dismiss any evidence of them as "fake news." The threat of retaliation would prevent the older generation from speaking about them, and the younger generation would grow up in a world where it was branded as myth. Couple that with the relatively small number of Jedi spread out among a vast galaxy and it may not be a stretch that they are forgotten in a couple of decades.

Agreed. I mean, people in other states have heard legends of the Texas Rangers and their famous motto of, "One riot, one Ranger." The meaning behind that is if there is a riot going on somewhere, it should only take one Texas Ranger to go in and stop it, by peace or by force. I doubt the common folk in other countries like, France or Italy or China would have knowledge of them past either a rumor or associating them with a baseball team. Now spread that out across 20 years, add in a concerted governmental effort to either demonize or discredit them as charlatans, and then spread the geography out across a literal galaxy. The majority of the trillions if not more of the lifeforms in the galaxy would never have seen one, so why would they have any knowledge about what they were capable of?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Hyena wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:38 pm
YellowKing wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:02 pm I've always looked at it as a massive Empire propaganda campaign to wipe out any record of the Jedi and dismiss any evidence of them as "fake news." The threat of retaliation would prevent the older generation from speaking about them, and the younger generation would grow up in a world where it was branded as myth. Couple that with the relatively small number of Jedi spread out among a vast galaxy and it may not be a stretch that they are forgotten in a couple of decades.

Agreed. I mean, people in other states have heard legends of the Texas Rangers and their famous motto of, "One riot, one Ranger." The meaning behind that is if there is a riot going on somewhere, it should only take one Texas Ranger to go in and stop it, by peace or by force. I doubt the common folk in other countries like, France or Italy or China would have knowledge of them past either a rumor or associating them with a baseball team. Now spread that out across 20 years, add in a concerted governmental effort to either demonize or discredit them as charlatans, and then spread the geography out across a literal galaxy. The majority of the trillions if not more of the lifeforms in the galaxy would never have seen one, so why would they have any knowledge about what they were capable of?
But they'd all know who Walker, Texas Jedi was and what he was capable of.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:49 pm
Hyena wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:38 pm

But they'd all know who Walker, Texas Jedi was and what he was capable of.
Well, they might have heard RUMORS of what he was capable of, but who can believe everything they hear.

Levitation? Pshh. Smoke and mirrors.
Mind control? Why don't they still rule the galaxy if they have mind control?
Laser swords that can block a BLASTER BOLT? Bantha poodoo, nobody is that fast.
What, do they have a special little virus in their blood or something that makes them special to the universe or some crap like that?

As if...
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Nick Nolte? Which guy was he?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

“He has spoken”
-something witty-
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Oh, I thought maybe the battle droid.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That was Taika Waititi.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:38 am Nick Nolte? Which guy was he?
You're not alone. Most of the nerds in my office could not identify him under the prosthetics either.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Don't forget the timeline in place here.
  • Year One: Order 66 is activated and the Jedi are murdered by the new Empire.
    Year 20: Rogue One & A New Hope. Luke has no experience with Jedi.
    Year 24: The Empire is overthrown by one Jedi - Luke.
    Year 34-ish: The Mandalorian is more than a generation after Order 66 and may be far enough out there that they just didn't have many Jedi anyway. Myths and legends.
    Year 60-ish: The Force Awakens. Rey thinks Jedi are just stories.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:33 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:38 am Nick Nolte? Which guy was he?
You're not alone. Most of the nerds in my office could not identify him under the prosthetics either.
Did anyone notice Brian Posehn as the taxi driver who gets eaten?

Kelric wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 pm Don't forget the timeline in place here.
  • Year One: Order 66 is activated and the Jedi are murdered by the new Empire.
    Year 20: Rogue One & A New Hope. Luke has no experience with Jedi.
    Year 24: The Empire is overthrown by one Jedi - Luke.
    Year 34-ish: The Mandalorian is more than a generation after Order 66 and may be far enough out there that they just didn't have many Jedi anyway. Myths and legends.
    Year 60-ish: The Force Awakens. Rey thinks Jedi are just stories.
Year 20: Admiral Motti: "Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the rebels' hidden fortr..." *gets force choked for a bit*
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Finally took the plunge. Really enjoyed the first two episodes of The Mandalorian.

On a side note, holy shit does the end of Rogue One look amazing in 4K + HDR.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Episode 3 is up.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I will say that I like the weekly release schedule.

I was talking to the 3 yo yesterday asking if he knew what day it was and what the next day was (we're working on days of the week). He said, "Tomorrow is...Friday?". Immediately the 9 yo jumped up and began chanting "Mandelorean! Mandelorean..." Seconds later they were both chanting it and breaking into an improvised Mandelorean song.

You don't get that with the binge bullshit.

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:32 pmI will say that I like the weekly release schedule.
In the era of instant gratification, it's nice to have to wait for some things.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:26 pm Episode 3 is up.
Just watched it over lunch with fellow nerds at work.
I think it's better than the first two.
naednek

Post by naednek »

would be nice to watch but keep getting error code 83. works on my phone, but want to watch it on a bigger screen.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Archinerd wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:20 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:26 pm Episode 3 is up.
Just watched it over lunch with fellow nerds at work.
I think it's better than the first two.
That was a good episode. I saw the end coming but still loved it. :horse:
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

It might be an obscure reference, but I keep getting a Lone Wolf and Cub vibe from this show (which is a good thing). It features a samurai assassin type guy who looks after a young kid he pushes around in a baby cart, which turns out to have all sorts of hidden tricks and abilities that help them fight off their foes.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Kelric wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:56 pm

That was a good episode. I saw the end coming but still loved it. :horse:
Yeah... I was discussing it with my wife, that despite knowing where they were going to take the plot, it was still really entertaining. I wasn't jazzed to watch tonight, just wanted to keep up. But it may have been my favorite episode. I'm going to be sad when the season is over.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:26 pm It might be an obscure reference, but I keep getting a Lone Wolf and Cub vibe from this show (which is a good thing). It features a samurai assassin type guy who looks after a young kid he pushes around in a baby cart, which turns out to have all sorts of hidden tricks and abilities that help them fight off their foes.
I got serious “Lone Wolf and Cub” vibes from Episode 2.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

With some John Wick vs. the Assassin's Guild thrown in.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:32 pm I will say that I like the weekly release schedule.

I was talking to the 3 yo yesterday asking if he knew what day it was and what the next day was (we're working on days of the week). He said, "Tomorrow is...Friday?". Immediately the 9 yo jumped up and began chanting "Mandelorean! Mandelorean..." Seconds later they were both chanting it and breaking into an improvised Mandelorean song.

You don't get that with the binge bullshit.
and henceforth, Friday ios no more and shall forever be known as MandoDay!
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Episode 3 was also notable in that it was the first live-action Star Wars anything ever directed by a woman.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Wife and I watched the 3rd episode last night and both loved it. She was sold on the show the moment they showed Baby Yoda, but, as intriguing as it was, I wasn't fully sold until the 3rd episode.

Ironically my wife has been thinking about making a Mando costume for a long time, and I asked her if this show made her want to start the building process soon, but she said now she doesn't want one because everyone is going to want to be a Mando now. :lol:

Hopefully the show will keep up the quality they've set, although I hope they know if anything ever happens to Baby Yoda they're going to have a riot on their hands.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Strong with the merchandising, Baby Yoda is. Disney won't let anything bad happen to him/her.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:39 pm Strong with the merchandising, Baby Yoda is. Disney won't let anything bad happen to him/her.
Disney will be Disney.......

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/11/25 ... rian-mando

Baby Yoda GIFs Removed Over Disney Copyright Issues
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:50 pm
Max Peck wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:39 pm Strong with the merchandising, Baby Yoda is. Disney won't let anything bad happen to him/her.
Disney will be Disney.......

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/11/25 ... rian-mando

Baby Yoda GIFs Removed Over Disney Copyright Issues
Removed for "review," now back up.

Last week, there was some confusion around certain content uploaded to GIPHY and we temporarily removed these GIFs while we reviewed the situation. We apologize to both Disney and Vulture for any inconvenience, and we are happy to report that the GIFs are once again live on GIPHY

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Order this shirt you will.....

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I was stunned that Disney didn't have a ton of Baby Yoda merchandise when we were there on Saturday. We didn't see a single item on sale in the parks.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Apparently they didn't spin up the merch in advance of the reveal of the character on the show because they didn't want spoilers to leak out.