concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Toe

Re: concerts....who you seeing?

Post by Toe »

Last week me and the wife saw Ray Lamontagne at the Ryman in Nashville (3rd row center). I have been on the fence about seeing him for some time. I love his voice and a lot of his music, but his pretentiousness just turned me off from wanting to spend money seeing him. But since he was coming to the Ryman (acoustically my favorite venue) and seats were not too bad cost-wise, I couldn't resist.

Very minimalist set, with just him and his guitar on the right side and Carl on the left playing various stringed instruments and backup singing occasionally (similar to the video below). He is the type of artist that just comes out and plays with very little audience interaction. I think the only things he said between songs sometimes was "thank you, "thank you very much", and "I really love this place".

Overall I was a bit disappointed in the set list. I am a fan, but not a huge fan. I knew maybe 50% of the songs he played. Of the 50% that I didn't know, I really only super-enjoyed a handful. The rest kinda fell into a weird place where they sounded similar to each other and, from what I recall, did not have any of his signature power vocals. Still, when he was on, it was phenomenal stuff, so overall I was glad we went.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:16 pmEDIT: i actually timed it tonight. Bell Witch's set time as an opener was actually 40 minutes lolololol
:evil: :evil:

Mayhem is touring North America with Abbath next spring. Been wanting to see both for years, and together is even better!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Going to see Charly Bliss tonight. My first concert in quite a while.

We saw them open for Veruca Salt during the latter's reunion tour five-ish years ago, and were really impressed. Looking forward to seeing them again as headliners.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ugh. Coheed and Cambria is doing one of those cruise-things next October out of Florida. Not sure I'm into that idea and I'd need to go by myself regardless. This last summer they did a double show with Mastodon that I preemptively declared I was too old for. I'm really regretting that I didn't figure out a way to get to NYC back in 2008. Christ, was that really 11 years ago?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Mastodon and Coheed made a great combo and too old wasn't a problem. I actually don't care too much for Coheed, but the show was nice and easy, well done.
I have but one advocate.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:35 pm Ugh. Coheed and Cambria is doing one of those cruise-things next October out of Florida. Not sure I'm into that idea and I'd need to go by myself regardless.
Dooooooooo iiiiiiiiiittttttttt.

Seriously dude, music cruises are amazing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If I wouldn't go to see them play at an outdoor show in July here in NJ, you can be confident I'm not going to get on a plane in October and go to Florida. :D

I don't think I'd be able to go, regardless. I'd need to have a laptop with me and I'd need to be able to work. It's not the core reason I'd be skipping it, but it's definitely not helping. I'll just have to keep hoping they do some random show in the greater NYC area before I go deaf.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Did they outlaw vacation days in New Jersey?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I dispense knowledge 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There is no rest for the wicked when you teach online courses. :wink:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Going to see The Capitol Steps for a fourth time.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

on a whim, went to see Sleater-Kinney for the last show on their current tour last Sunday (tickets on StubHub day of the show dropped to the oh-well-might-as-well level). i liked the new album ok, but they played for nearly two hours and all i could think about was how much my feet hurt, which confirmed that i am still not very into them. and no Janet, even. opener was some boring 'college funky' r&b group from Chicago that i really should have skipped.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Three weeks from today, we'll be on board our last 70K cruise. Of the 60 bands that are supposed to be there, only 34 have been announced so far. 21 days left, and I still have no idea who nearly half the festival will be. This year has been a bit of shitshow, with the first bands not even being announced until mid-October, and we're going on a month+ drought of announcements...with just 21 days left to go.

Thankfully, I'm pretty happy with what has already been announced. Emperor, Candlemass, Venom, Aether Realm, and Finntroll will all be firsts for me. I'm a little disappointed that that what will likely be our last cruise has turned into kind of a mess. Oh well...we'll have fun regardless.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:40 pm Three weeks from today, we'll be on board our last 70K cruise. Of the 60 bands that are supposed to be there, only 34 have been announced so far. 21 days left, and I still have no idea who nearly half the festival will be. This year has been a bit of shitshow, with the first bands not even being announced until mid-October, and we're going on a month+ drought of announcements...with just 21 days left to go.

Thankfully, I'm pretty happy with what has already been announced. Emperor, Candlemass, Venom, Aether Realm, and Finntroll will all be firsts for me. I'm a little disappointed that that what will likely be our last cruise has turned into kind of a mess. Oh well...we'll have fun regardless.
So, this got rather interesting...in a couple ways.

1) They did finally round out the lineup with a ton of last minute adds over the last three weeks. There were a few good ones in there (Aeternam, Possessed, Vio-lence), but lots of filler crap to round out the roster of 60 bands. I was a little bummed because while there were a bunch of bands I was interested in this time, there really wasn't that one "must see" band like in years past. Then this afternoon, they pull a surprise "extra" band...Wilderun. The band that put out my Album of the Year in 2019, and has one of my top 5 albums of all time as well. I am absolutely thrilled, and am now psyched out of my damn mind for next week.

2) Our flight to Florida leaves Salt Lake at 6am on Monday morning. The guy I'm going with let me know earlier tonight that he still hasn't received approval from his boss for his leave request next week (he manages a restaurant). He has e-mailed, called, and texted the boss for the past few days, but he hasn't responded at all. If the boss doesn't call, he won't find out if he's off until he gets his schedule at 9pm on Sunday night. So there's a better than zero chance that I could be doing this cruise by myself. Which would certainly be...something.

EDIT: He got the week off approved, so I’m not going solo. Whew.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

too bad that TOOL tour didn't come (anywhere near) to Seattle - i had no idea Killing Joke were opening !!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’M ON A BOAT!! 8-) (and seeing Emperor, Exodus, Devin Townsend, and Wilderun today. Squeee!!)

See y’all in a week.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Another successful 70K is in the books. If this was to be the last one, it was certainly one for the ages. A few highlights, in addition to the general insanity of the thing:

- I crowd surfed for the first time in my 45 years. Can’t see myself ever doing it again, but glad to have finally checked it off my list
- Was part of setting the world record for “Largest Mosh Pit Pillow Fight” ever. Seriously…they had someone there from Guinness and everything
- Got to see two bands performing songs from two of my all-time top 5 albums (Wilderun and At the Gates). That was pretty awesome.
- Devin Townsend is incredible live. Honestly one of the best live performers I’ve ever seen.
- Drank entirely too many beers with the Aether Realm dudes. They’re hilarious.
- Got into a mosh pit in an elevator, for some damn reason.

While I love the cruise, it’s definitely time for a break for a few years. Out of the 36 bands we saw, there were only five that I hadn’t seen before. While it’s fun, I kinda feel like I’ve seen everything this party has to offer. I’m also rather “concert-ed out” after the last couple years, and there’s really only one band left on my personal bucket list (Sigh) that I haven’t already seen. Plus, it gets harder and harder the older I get to keep pace on festivals like this. I just can’t drink beer and stay up until 6am like I used to. :)

Bands we saw this round:
- Aborted
- Aeternam
- Aether Realm
- Archon Angel
- Atheist
- At the Gates
- Bloodbound
- Candlemass
- Devin Townsend
- Emperor
- Epica
- Ereb Altor
- Exodus
- Finntroll
- Flotsam & Jetsam
- Grave Digger
- Haggard
- Ihsahn
- Incancation
- Leaves Eyes
- Moonsorrow
- November’s Doom
- Omnium Gatherum
- Once Human
- Origin
- Orphaned Land
- Possessed
- Seven Witches
- Soen
- Soilwork
- Sortilege
- Suffocation
- The Agonist
- Venom
- Wilderun
- Wintersun
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:36 pm - Got into a mosh pit in an elevator, for some damn reason.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ministry is doing 30th anniversary tour for Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste with KMFDM and Front Line Assembly. I've never seen KMFDM, so I think I'ma go to this in July.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:48 pm Ministry is doing 30th anniversary tour for Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste with KMFDM and Front Line Assembly. I've never seen KMFDM, so I think I'ma go to this in July.
https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/01/ ... ngth-tour/

also going to this. have seen Ministry and KMFDM twice and FLA three times.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:24 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:48 pm Ministry is doing 30th anniversary tour for Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste with KMFDM and Front Line Assembly. I've never seen KMFDM, so I think I'ma go to this in July.
https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/01/ ... ngth-tour/

also going to this. have seen Ministry and KMFDM twice and FLA three times.
The Mind Is a Terrible Thing To Taste just turned 30. Who knew we’d still be around to see this day. But since we are alive and kicking, we figured we’d hop in the way-back machine and recreate the infamous original tour with KMFDM
I had tickets to see them at the Nectarine in Ann Arbor for that show. I got snowed in. Some of my friends actually could get out of their driveways and made it to the show. And they taunted me (singing me and you and a dog named boo over and over and over again). Later, the band would taunt me with In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up . Bastards.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This is one that I'd probably go to if it came here, but since it's not, I won't be making a special trip for it. Seen all of these bands before, and while I love FLA's albums, Ministry is really the only one of the three that's worth seeing live. In my experience, FLA's live shows are somewhere between sounding exactly like their recordings with zero additional stage presence, or being an indistinguishable mess.

And I absolutely cannot fucking stand KMFDM. :snooty:
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

So torn!

Doubt we'll make this show.

I saw the original tour, my wife was a fan of all bands on the tour and I bought tix for her bday.

I've told the story before here but she had to work that day and I didn't. I walked to my friends house in the morning to play D&D all day and I ate acid on the way over. So by showtime I'd been tripping all day and had that wonderful afterglow comedown.

I wasn't as familiar with the material as my wife but Ministry blew what was left of my head off. Became a giant fan that night. I swear half the people in the crowd were trying to kill the band. A few members were visibly shaken on stage. Al was alternating drink beer and whiskey and throwing the empty bottles into the crowd. Ogre tried to climb over the fence to get in the pit with his knee pads and elbow pads on and got swarmed and coughed up. He didn't try again.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:37 pm Ogre tried to climb over the fence to get in the pit with his knee pads and elbow pads on and got swarmed and coughed up. He didn't try again.
:lol: Oh man, I had forgotten Ogre was playing with Ministry in those days.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

No Toronto date. :cry:

These were some of the bands that fueled what I'd consider the second phase of my discovery of music in late high school. As I didn't go to concerts when I was young, I'd totally see them now for old time's sake.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Du hast?
RAMMSTEIN is teasing what appears to be a short tour of North America. Earlier today, the German industrial metallers shared a map of the continent with several highlighted states and provinces, including California, Texas, Minnesota, Illinois, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York and Massachusetts, sa well as Quebec (Canada) and Mexico City (Mexico). An accompanying caption reads, "Get ready, Amerika!" and directs fans to the RAMMSTEIN web site where fans can join a mailing list to receive further details of the band's news.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I'd love to see RAMMSTEIN again, I've only seen them once. I'd like my wife to see them, she would dig the spectacle.

The one time I saw them was the one day under my belt as a roadie. The internet tells me it was July 26th, 2001. I was unemployed and knew some guys in the stagehand's union and they needed a few extra hands for this show since there was SO MUCH equipment to move.

They gave me one of the "big guy" positions which meant I did the heavy lifting in and out of the stacks in the trucks. We were only responsible for handling gear in the truck between the ramp and the back wall. Once everything was out of the truck I could just float around and observe. It was awesome talking to the various traveling skilled trades dudes, lighting, sound, pyro, etc. Everybody was super friendly and helpful even when there were language barriers.

We left before soundcheck and didn't have to report back until after the show for load-in. Of course I came back early with my all-access pass and watched the show from the closed-to-the-public balcony and just dug the whole experience.

I worked my ass off that day for about $25 after "union fees" were withheld. I got to eat some oatmeal and fruit for breakfast and they gave us pizza and beer after the show. I was in the HEIGHT of my beer snob phase and turned down the offered Budweiser. Now I'd drink the shit out of that cold delicious beer after enjoying a killer show and a unique new experience.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Got tickets today for Monster Magnet in March. Haven't seen them before, to my lament. Looks like the title of the tour is "Powertrip--A Celebration". I'd have rather seen them do Dopes to Infinity as they did several years ago, but this should be a nostalgic treat as well. Most of my favourite songs probably aren't ones they'd play in concern anyway.

Looks like the supporting acts may be Nebula and Silvertomb, whom I'm not yet familiar with.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
naednek

Post by naednek »

This Sunday, we're taking the kids to a Dive Bar to go see Koo Koo Kanga...
http://kookookangaroo.com/

Really hoping they serve beer.

Then on Feb 9th, taking the kids to see Toby Mac. Always a good show. This will be Ethan's 3rd time, and Lila's first.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sinead O'Connor on Feb 4 - it's been a long while since i've been able to strike out a musician/band concert 'bucket list' entry, but this is one.

(Brian Eno is #1 on that list and it looks like that will never happen)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I've never been one for outdoor festivals (70K has spoiled me), but I'll admit that this Fire in the Mountains Fest looks incredible. A 3-day metal festival held at a ranch outside of Jackson Hole, WY.

With Enslaved, Bell Witch, Yob, Obsequiae, Hexvessel, and others on the bill, this is becoming awfully tempting.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Average July highs of 82, lows of 41.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Managed to get tickets to take my 14 year-old to see My Chemical Romance next October in the Tacoma Dome.

I wish they were playing closer to home or another venue - the Dome is a crumbling shithole that smells like piss - but she's pretty stoked.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Judas Priest just announced a 50th anniversary tour with Sabaton, but there are no Toronto dates. :cry:

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Sudy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:06 pm Judas Priest just announced a 50th anniversary tour with Sabaton, but there are no Toronto dates. :cry:
I just got tickets for the show in the DC area.
Hodor.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

You bastard. Throw a tomato at the stage for me. (I hope it's amazing! I hope I get to see JP before they retire. I have a wasted youth of missed concerts to make up for.)

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wonder how many concerts and such people will stay away from or be cancelled due to the virus.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, I had that exact thought today as I was considering some upcoming concerts.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:58 pm Wonder how many concerts and such people will stay away from or be cancelled due to the virus.
A lot of IT conventions are being canceled, including the big Facebook developers conference. Those that are proceeding are doing so without participation from the likes of Apple, Microsoft and Cisco.

For better or worse, my company would never send me to any of these conferences/conventions anyway. But until Smoove tells me it's time to panic, I wouldn't be squeamish about attending any crowded event.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm trying to decide whether I want to go to Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum, and Seven Spires. I didn't know any of them before seeing their concert ad, but the former two are very well known melodic death metal bands. Melodeth is a sound I generally enjoy, but I just can't get extremely into these guys after multiple listens, so I'm thinking it's not worth going to a concert I can't get excited for. I've actually been listening to Insomnium's first album a bit, and I like it a lot at first listen... but it appears to be their more recent stuff they're playing, which is much more... "melo-". The thing is, I suspect I would start to like them if I listened to them a lot, but I don't find them immediately catchy. The songs I linked I've gotten to like quite a bit, but it took a while.

Then I saw a Tyr/Heidevolk/Trollfest/Metsatoll concert appear, and while I'm only marginally aware of half these bands, almost everything I hear I like, so I think I'll definitely try to get tickets to that one.

Amorphis/Entombed AD/Nervosa is also on the horizon for September. I've given Amorphis a few listens at SP's recommendation but they haven't stuck so far. Didn't think Entombed AD would appeal to me, though I really liked the first song of theirs I heard. Presuming they don't sell out, I have a little time to make up my mind.

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:58 pm Wonder how many concerts and such people will stay away from or be cancelled due to the virus.
Had tickets to see Cake on Monday but the band postponed the show until October out of virus fear. :roll: