Divinity: Original Sin

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Divinity: Original Sin

Post by Daehawk »

Ill play through the first town and see how it goes and also see if I can pick up a magic user there.

If not and I want to start over what magic user is best?...Theres like 4 type or more....witch, mage, conjurer, battlemage...or some stuff like that. My blade can cast a little.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Probably doesn't matter a ton. As long as you stick to one/two only. They all have aoe spells at the top level. Personally, I found the thunderstorm and ice spells to be more effective than the fire and earth ones. Witch, I believe, is all about buffing your side and debuffing their side (maybe with charm thrown in?). Having a summon early on will help a lot too.

Sorry, I just don't know much about the classes. You'll have to look at the spells each one has access to.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I really found air/water/lighting spells the most enjoyable. Make it rain, then electrify a whole group of enemies in one go. Just don't stand too close when you do it! Also, the levitate spell makes for some hilarious interactions. Pick enemies up and drop them on other enemies. Or levitate explosive barrels. There are quite a few secrets in the game that can only be found by levitating your own characters as well.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok Ill keep that in mind thanks.

ive explored the town and done some side quests. Ive also picked up a rogue in the crypts and a archer in a cage. Ive looked into the murder as far as the grave and embalmer and explored a lot of the crypt below. But I almost died to a fireball room i cant get past due to a locked door with a ton of hit points. So I tele'd back to town to heal but I cant find any healing in the house of healing strangely. I dont have potions and I have no idea how to rest and heal up before moving on.

Also there is a TON of items. My invs are really packed and most of it I have no idea what to keep and what to sell. I pick everything up...imagine how much junk I have . I even picked up a bucket...luckily it fit on my rogues bare head. I also have a crossbow I cant identify because I lack that skill and Im not sure who in town will do that for me.

The game reminds me of the great infinity engine games but good lord at all the stuff in it. its too much for me. Im trying.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

You will make yourself happier if you sell/drop/get rid of everything. :)

Seriously, I was a packrat too. It's definitely not worth it. Most of the crafting can be skipped. Or you can temporarily boost your skill if you need to. Nails are good. Since they can be combined with boots. I think if you go melee then there is a little benefit to blacksmithing(?). Like it lets you make your armor lighter. Or something. But the rest of it really is just junk.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

TheMix wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:40 am Nails are good. Since they can be combined with boots.
No joke. This is the best crafting recipe in the game. Unfortunately, you need to be a master craftsmen before you can figure out how to pound nails through the soles of your boots. :lol:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My recollection is that one of the NPCs has a point or two in it. If you decide not to use that person, then it's pretty easy to level his crafting points. Then just temporarily add him to do what you want. Of course, then you won't have someone in the party should you want something "NOW!".

In my game I went ahead a put a couple/few points in the crafting side. Then used some items with bonuses to boost my skills.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I found some armor. trying to see if there are penalties for putting plate on my rogue :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just not getting much out of this game. A little but not enough. I cant pick the severed head up even when I follow a guide and do the play then run over. I cant leave town easy because its full of undead out there. I am tired of town. The murder quest is going nowhere. I have about 15 other things in my log. I dont see at all why this game was praised so much. I can barely tolerate it. Im about done with it . I got a good bit further in Pillars of Eternity when I tried it but again its not all that fun. Not sure why its rated well either. I think Ive just changed too much from years ago. I pretty much hate everything in this world :) I cant stand playing anything more than 10 min before Im ready to throw the pc in the yard or jump through the screen and strangle the moron on the other end.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I would actually suggest leaving town and going to look for a lighthouse. It’s been a while, but I recall needing to be fairly high level to complete the murder quest.

Part of why Original Sin was praised so much was because it was very open ended as to how you could complete quest and it really never held your hand as to how to do things. I fondly remember playing in co-op and looking everywhere for hints to a quest. I finally found something and told the person I was playing with and he responded that he found that out like 10 minutes ago. I asked how. He replied that the cat in the graveyard told him :lol: . Apparently, the animal whisperer talent is pretty good! I really appreciate in games where non-combat skills are just as valuable as things that let you kill baddies.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I love open world games except in pure rpgs and especially overhead. I like to move from house to house town to town quest to quest and do everything in order and difficulty.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Divinity may just not be for you in that case. I would very much put it in the same category as Fallout 1 & 2 or Wasteland 2 as far as style of RPG.

There are so many side quests that I think you would go mad trying to complete them all. Completing some also makes it impossible to complete others so it’s more about playing your character than trying to complete a check list.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I remember luring the undead close to town so the guards would help me. Since of course I take things to extreme, this tactic once wiped out all the guards in town. Made for some nice loot though.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Too slow since its turn based.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Just starting this. Enhanced edition. Heard such good things about the second one, thought I would try this first before buying.

Starting with ranger and witch. Still in starter dungeon. I found a secret…presence on the beach that was a pretty funny sequence - glad this game doesn’t take itself too seriously!
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:52 am Just starting this. Enhanced edition. Heard such good things about the second one, thought I would try this first before buying.

Starting with ranger and witch. Still in starter dungeon. I found a secret…presence on the beach that was a pretty funny sequence - glad this game doesn’t take itself too seriously!
I really liked this game, wanted to love it. Started drifting about halfway through it, but I can't remember if it was because of losing interest or if something else shiny came along. In either case, never finished it. Started the second one, same result. Very well done, very interesting spell/skill system, humorous writing, but there was just...something else that didn't fully click with me. I think I try too much to make my characters be able to do everything and end up with a party that doesn't do well with anything. Jack of all trades type situation.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This thread brings back a lot of memories. I played the snot out of this game and finished it several times. If you enjoy it carry on the to OS 2 EE. It has some improvements.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:27 pm This thread brings back a lot of memories. I played the snot out of this game and finished it several times. If you enjoy it carry on the to OS 2 EE. It has some improvements.
Hmm. Should I stop and just play the second one instead maybe? I’m not Coopasonic FFS! :P
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:36 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:27 pm This thread brings back a lot of memories. I played the snot out of this game and finished it several times. If you enjoy it carry on the to OS 2 EE. It has some improvements.
Hmm. Should I stop and just play the second one instead maybe? I’m not Coopasonic FFS! :P
Not unless you get to a point where you aren't enjoying it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I guess the better question is: are the two titles different enough to play both? They both get great reviews, but I see mixed opinions on ‘just play the second one: it’s better in every way” vs “they’re both great, just different, both should be played”
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I would play both. That way you can better appreciate the improvements in #2.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Absolutely say play both. That is all.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Settled. Thankee.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I could play with that combat system in every RPG and be happy. :wub:
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:36 pm
D:OS - 69.5 hours
D:OS2 - 147.6 hours
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ha! Nice

Can I assume that’s more than one playrhrough for the second one?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:55 pm Ha! Nice

I have 130 hours in for one playthrough, but that was multiplayer. I probably could have gone through it in more like 80-90 by myself.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:55 pm Ha! Nice

I've never finished the second one. It's two pretty meaty attempts and one early exit as I recall. I don't think I can even say why I've never stuck with it. It should be a great fit for me, I can see the greatness of individual bits but when things really get going, I end up walking away.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've got 51 hours into the 1st one, split over two playthroughs, and yet I've never finished it. Not because of the game - just because I've always gotten distracted.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have played:

Original Sin: 484 hours

Original Sin II: 550 hours

You might say I got my money's worth.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Good lord, man. Assuming you replayed each, several times? I have to know what the main draw was for you, or was it that choosing different characters changed the game that much?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:42 pm Good lord, man. Assuming you replayed each, several times? I have to know what the main draw was for you, or was it that choosing different characters changed the game that much?
When I find a game I enjoy I play it to death. Hell I have even clocked 450 hours on chapter 1 of early access BG3. Generally I take what I have learned on a playthrough and go right to those things to improve/dominate on the next playthrough, sometimes trying out new classes/combinations.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

If it were possible to strangle a virtual game camera, I would totally do that to this game. Gah.

I feel like most of my energy is spent wrangling the camera so much that they should rename it "Sinful, Maddening Game Camera"

I see no mods for this version but I know someone created some for the non EE version (as well as the second game). It just feels so restrictive, I think, and often is just pointing the wrong way, etc.