Warlords III: Darklords Rising just released...

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Zenn7

Re: Warlords III: Darklords Rising just released...

Post by Zenn7 »

Game bought and installed. Keeps crashing. I'll have to play with it some, see if I can get it to stay running.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

El Guapo, your "Evil Maximus" side has max mana at 5. I think this means you can only cast spells that require 5 mana or less.

The more I'm learning, the more I realize I need to re-think our custom side creation.

For example, if we are all going with magic-user heroes, the MAX MANA toggle needs to be at least 20, so the most expensive spell in the game, Lifesbane can be cast. Having the maximum allowable mana (35) costs a whopping 320, but will let us use more spells. Also, a completely random map could screw all/some of us out of places generating mana.

To make things easier, I suggest we create one custom army set - we just rename and all play with?
And I'd still go with a random map, but one emphazing certain conditions, like more mana.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Dave Allen wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:05 pm El Guapo, your "Evil Maximus" side has max mana at 5. I think this means you can only cast spells that require 5 mana or less.

The more I'm learning, the more I realize I need to re-think our custom side creation.

For example, if we are all going with magic-user heroes, the MAX MANA toggle needs to be at least 20, so the most expensive spell in the game, Lifesbane can be cast. Having the maximum allowable mana (35) costs a whopping 320, but will let us use more spells. Also, a completely random map could screw all/some of us out of places generating mana.

To make things easier, I suggest we create one custom army set - we just rename and all play with?
And I'd still go with a random map, but one emphazing certain conditions, like more mana.
I think you are right about the max mana.

Not sure how all of us having the same army would help with random maps possibly screwing people?

Haven't had a chance to play w/ the game more yet though (wife's making me check her PC slowness/issues out), but that's on the agenda for this evening.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Assuming you did not decide to all of us use 1 army... I am ready to show my horde.

What's the easiest (free) way to post an image on here for someone who does not usually do that and does not have any accounts set up for image storing?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Dave Allen wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:10 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:52 pm Get your 7 people yet? Too late to join in?
So far, just El Guapo, NickAragua and me. Today, I will PM everyone who has expressed interest (Archinerd, Pyperkub, Ralph-Wiggum, LordMortis), but even if they're all in, that still leaves room for one more player.

PM me your email address, name to call your side, and custom build. Remember to choose only gray mana, and Shaman, Necromancer, Wizard, and Summoner for your heroes.
I'm in. Game bought, I just haven't had a chance to look at it yet to figure out what I need to do.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Zenn7 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:52 pm Assuming you did not decide to all of us use 1 army... I am ready to show my horde.
Yeah, use any army you want, but stick with the 2000 point limit, and only Shaman, Necromancer, Summoner and Wizard heroes.
And with magic being important, I'd also recommend setting your max mana to 32 (320 points) and choosing gray mana (80 points).

I hope everyone realizes you don't have to fill every space in your list of Regulars, Mercs, and Allies. At the end of the pool there is an army called blank (0).

Bits of advice I gleaned from the strategy guide:
search aggressively
conquer neutral cities aggressively
develop powerful stacks quickly
always have a quest going
be very diverse when creating stacks. Try to have as many different bonuses as possible.
Zenn7 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:52 pm What's the easiest (free) way to post an image on here for someone who does not usually do that and does not have any accounts set up for image storing?
I use postimage.org. It's free and even a moron like me could figure it out. ;)

Hey guys, before I build the map - a question. Hidden map or not?
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Dave Allen wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:05 pm El Guapo, your "Evil Maximus" side has max mana at 5. I think this means you can only cast spells that require 5 mana or less.

I dunno, I think it would be more fun to have different armies. I think maybe we should have uniform non-army stuff (e.g., grey mana, 20 max mana, sell items, specific heroes, and mercenaries) and then people can pick the armies that they want within the remaining points. Would avoid anyone gimping themselves too badly, but still allow for unique sides and armies.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ah, seems like we're on the same page then. Yeah, I think that makes sense.
Black Lives Matter.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Here is my (revised) side I call the Midkemians:

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Zenn7 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:02 pm Game bought and installed. Keeps crashing. I'll have to play with it some, see if I can get it to stay running.
Keeps crashing for me too.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Been playing a test game to remember how to play - I think you don't want any spot 100% blank. You have no allies, I've had allies show up a few times now. Free armies are always good! :)

Note - units cost maintenance. Magically summoned units do not. Some spells do cost mana maintenance.

Click on your gold (or mana) to see income/outflow.

Always have a quest, but start with easy ones - you start with a hard one, you won't complete it for a while, lose out on the benefit of taking the easy ones.

Bonuses - things that off set bonuses (chaos offsets leadership in the opposing army) will still provide a -1 penalty to the strength of the opposing army, even if they have no leadership.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Heroes - they get XP (from fighting, quests (you can only have 1 quest active at a time and it is for the hero who activated it), not sure what else).

You get points - 1 at second level 2-3 as you get each level. You can store them. You have abilities you can buy that range from 1-4 points (4 points I'm assuming is max as that's the best spell I can find). Whatever you have points for is offered for you to spend when you level up.

Combat - you have 2 numbers - strength, hits. Strength is your combat ability - higher = better. Your first unit's number is compared to the first unit of defender - whatever random mechanic is randomly added for each side, whoever wins inflicts 1 hit of damage on the loser. Strength ranges from 1-9 I think naturally, I've gotten up to 11 with bonuses so far. Hits I've seen between 1-4.

Units get medals sometimes (adds strength and hits I believe).

There are things on the map that will provide bonuses to the nearest town - move, blessing, hits, etc - to every unit produced in that town.

Units are auto-queued. You select a scout that takes 1 turn, next turn another will be built. You forget about the town for a while and you'll come back to a town full of scouts. As all units cost maintenance, you'll want to make sure you are not building things you don't want. You can vector them to another city though (when it is produced, it will behind the scenes move at it's max movement rate to the target town and just appear on the map when it arrives).

There are lots of special abilities for units and I don't remember all of them.

Morale/Fear + your or - enemy hit - they counter each other.
Leadership/Chaos - same
Fortify/Siege - same
Bonuses for these do not stack - whatever the best bonus is your bonus. 6 +1 morale units will be +1 morale. These are the diverse bonuses the strategy guide was talking about - they affect the whole stack (yours or the enemy)

These are individual unit abilities:
Assassin - you get a free shot to kill the unit your assassin is facing before combat begins (I think this is only once per assassin and only when they are up to fight).

Missiles - don't remember exactly how this works, but I think it's some free shots at the beginning.

Banding - these units get strength in numbers - 1 might have strength 1, 2 will have strength 2 each, etc. up to the max banding number. Only works with banding units (I don't remember if different banding units help each other).

Don't remember what warding, lightening or acid do. Probably a number of abilities I didn't mention.

Just throwing out a few basic notes on game play to help level the playing field a little.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Archinerd wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:46 am
Zenn7 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:02 pm Game bought and installed. Keeps crashing. I'll have to play with it some, see if I can get it to stay running.
Read on the forum that if you are using their galaxy app to launch it, try just launching from icon on your desktop. That worked for me it seems. It still opens the galaxy app as I don't have it independently downloaded, but it doesn't crash (or hasn't a good 30 turns into my test game to remember how to play the game!)
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

On the advice of the GOG forums, played around with the aspect ratio and launched the game from the game folder and not the GOG client. Not 100% sure it worked or not, but I was able to stay in the game long enough to create a faction.
Its' a bit all over the place, I basically picked a few I thought sounded cool and filled in the rest to meet the point total.

Lump Heads (light blue shield preferred, no real opinion on sigil)
2000/2000

Regulars;
Giant Rats (2)
Pikeman (13)
Trolls (27)
Harpies (31)
Plague Carriers (75)
Reavers (76)
Siege Engines (64)
Stone Golems (64)

Mercs;
Ogres (4)
Centaurs (45)
Green Slime (108)

Allies;
Gnollls (18)
Gnoll Cav. (27)
Gnoll crossbows (21)
Zombies (1)

Boneships (50)

8 stacks
gray mana
121 money
32 max mana
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

My army of oddities...

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:30 am
Archinerd wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:46 am
Read on the forum that if you are using their galaxy app to launch it, try just launching from icon on your desktop. That worked for me it seems. It still opens the galaxy app as I don't have it independently downloaded, but it doesn't crash (or hasn't a good 30 turns into my test game to remember how to play the game!)
And then I crashed several more times. Finally just downloaded the offline installer, closed galaxy and ran it. It lasted the lengthy amount of time for me to pick out my army without crashing, then I exited. Previously, it crashed every time while I was picking out my army. I had gotten past it once but that seems to have been luck. It was totally random when it would crash - sometimes right after getting in there, sometimes I could be there for several minutes working on the army edit. Than BAM! But this time, so far, so good.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Thanks for those vittles on the game, Zenn7.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Pyperkub, LordMortis, and Ralph-Wiggum.
After I finalize the roster of players, all of you can email me your <custom side's.PGS> file (found in the game's PGS subfolder).

When I create the game, I'd like to make all of us as visible to each other as possible, so we can learn from each other. This means fog of war is off, see inside enemy stacks is on, and no hidden ruins. There should still be plenty of surprises with vectoring, magic and bonuses.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Dave Allen wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:02 am Thanks for those vittles on the game, Zenn7.

After I finalize the roster of players, all of you can email me your <custom side's.PGS> file (found in the game's PGS subfolder).

When I create the game, I'd like to make all of us as visible to each other as possible, so we can learn from each other. This means fog of war is off, see inside enemy stacks is on, and no hidden ruins. There should still be plenty of surprises with vectoring, magic and bonuses.
What's your e-mail address? Did you already post / send it?
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Just downloaded and installed it. Will try messing around, making my army tonight.
Black Lives Matter
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:03 am What's your e-mail address? Did you already post / send it?
PM'd you.

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Dave Allen wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:02 am Thanks for those vittles on the game, Zenn7.

I'm sure my own user error will provide me lots of surprises too. :)
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Archinerd wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:19 pm

I'm sure my own user error will provide me lots of surprises too. :)
You won't be alone.
That reminds me, there is an "undo movement" in the stack menu, but it only works if the stack is still selected.

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Dave Allen wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:18 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:03 am What's your e-mail address? Did you already post / send it?
PM'd you.
If you sent it to me, I deleted it (thought the one message had the whole chain, apparently not). :oops:
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Zenn7 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:40 am
Dave Allen wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:18 pm
PM'd you.
If you sent it to me, I deleted it (thought the one message had the whole chain, apparently not). :oops:
I just sent out an email to you, NickAragua, Archinerd, Zenn7 and Ralph-Wiggum with a request for your custom sides (.PGS files).
When I get them all, I'll create the game for us.

I haven't heard back from Pyperkub and LordMortis, :( so I PM'd them again. With Pyperkub's experience I think he'd be a real asset in learning more...

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Messed around a bit with it last night. Tried the tutorial but that hard locked after the first turn. However, I was able to play a randomly generated game for a few turns without a crash.

I also messed around with the army creation part, but I had no idea what I was doing. Seemed like the game limited the army types based on the faction I choose, but clearly, based on everyone else's army, that shouldn't be the case. I'll mess with it some more tonight to see if I can figure it out.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'll tinker with my army under the new conditions (grey mana, 20+ mana, etc.) tonight and then e-mail you my revised side.
Black Lives Matter.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:56 am Messed around a bit with it last night. Tried the tutorial but that hard locked after the first turn. However, I was able to play a randomly generated game for a few turns without a crash
The game locked up/crashed on me occasionally, too - especially when backing out to the main menu. I disabled my antivirus and now I don't have any more crashes. Perhaps my antivirus reserves some "low-level" memory that this old game needed?
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:56 am I also messed around with the army creation part, but I had no idea what I was doing. Seemed like the game limited the army types based on the faction I choose, but clearly, based on everyone else's army, that shouldn't be the case. I'll mess with it some more tonight to see if I can figure it out.
If you want to use any one of our custom sides, I can just rename it for you.
Last edited by Dave Allen on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Editing armies:

Get into a game set up (like a random map or something), click on the circle in the middle top of any faction. It will bring up the edit army screen. It will show the units the that are currently assigned. You can click and change them.

Notes - the closer the #1 slot in each type (army/mercenary/ally/hero) the more points the army will cost.

Leaving spots blank - I saw in the manual, you can get allies as quest rewards and/or sometimes with heroes you hire. Easy is spot 1, Average is spot 1 or 2, hard is spot 1/2/3 for the allies. Mercs come in different packs like that too.

Not sure what happens if you have a blank spot, say ally 3 is blank and it decides you got ally 3- will you get a different ally, total reroll of reward, or just nothing.

The manual you can download from GOG is very helpful. Flip to the appendices at the end, shows all the creatures/heroes with their abilities, all the spells, explains all the abilities and what your rewards are for quests and other stuff. Highly recommend thumping through there briefly.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Just waiting on side files from Archinerd, Ralph-Wiggum and... Pyperkub :D

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think it’s probably easiest if I go with one of the default armies you’ve put together. I’ll have a better idea of what works for me/what I like/how the game works after the first game, so if we play another I can create my own army then.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I really want to dip my toes in this but given that it took me 3 days to see the PM, I know I won't be reliable here. :(
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Dave Allen wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:20 am Just waiting on side files from Archinerd, Ralph-Wiggum and... Pyperkub :D
Mine is sent in as of late last night.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:14 am I think it’s probably easiest if I go with one of the default armies you’ve put together. I’ll have a better idea of what works for me/what I like/how the game works after the first game, so if we play another I can create my own army then.
I assigned you same build as Zenn7. You are officially the "Wiggumites".
LordMortis wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:22 am I really want to dip my toes in this but given that it took me 3 days to see the PM, I know I won't be reliable here. :(
Thanks for your honesty. Next game then.
Archinerd wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:50 am Mine is sent in as of late last night.
Got it.

I'm just waiting for Pyperkub to send me his custom side - hoping to create game tonight!

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Dave Allen wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:48 am I assigned you same build as Zenn7. You are officially the "Wiggumites".
Perfect! Thanks!
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

No hidden map to start with either? There will be nothing for scouts to do? That let's you see stuff each other is doing but it won't be 100% accurate to a real game where we would have to at least explore the map (I'm going to move/react more efficiently if I know where everything is to start with).

Don't overly care, just asking.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I get the idea of wanting us all the be able to learn from each other, but I think it makes these sorts of games very different with no fog of war. Just my opinion, of course, but I think exploring the unknown and uncovering maps is half the fun of these types of games. That's probably why I generally start about 100x more Civ games than I ever finish.
Black Lives Matter
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:42 am (I'm going to move/react more efficiently if I know where everything is to start with).
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:43 am ...but I think exploring the unknown and uncovering maps is half the fun of these types of games.
I don't want to be responsible for any of my opponents reacting (or moving) more efficiently - or deny them half the fun of playing.
"And God said, Let there be fog. And there was fog." :roll:

I emailed Pyperkub over 48 hrs. ago to send me his custom side. Not sure how much longer we should wait.

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Dave Allen wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:49 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:42 am (I'm going to move/react more efficiently if I know where everything is to start with).
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:43 am ...but I think exploring the unknown and uncovering maps is half the fun of these types of games.
I don't want to be responsible for any of my opponents reacting (or moving) more efficiently - or deny them half the fun of playing.
"And God said, Let there be fog. And there was fog." :roll:

I emailed Pyperkub over 48 hrs. ago to send me his custom side. Not sure how much longer we should wait.
Sorry! You can do hidden if you want. :) I just meant hidden map, not necessarily fog of war (I don't care what options you ultimately choose, I just wanna play! :).

Pyperkub - let's wait another day at least. I am going to be out of town most of the day tomorrow, wouldn't be able to play a turn until near midnight. If we start tomorrow night and we get a chance, might be able to knock out a few turns/day over the weekend (being that they're going to be pretty quick with 1 city, 1 hero and 1 army to start with).
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to install, let alone create a custom side yet.

DBA was supposed to backup the database I had been configuring over the past couple of weeks in preparation for an upgrade, and accidentally overwrote it. On the good side, it was the TEST environment for testing the application/database upgrade before doing PROD. On the bad news side, we don't backup our TEST environments regularly (which is why I had requested a backup).

Oh, and it's a project that goes all the way to the top, or will if it fails or is delayed too long.

:grund: :grund: :grund:
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:06 pm Yeah, I haven't had a chance to install, let alone create a custom side yet.

DBA was supposed to backup the database I had been configuring over the past couple of weeks in preparation for an upgrade, and accidentally overwrote it. On the good side, it was the TEST environment for testing the application/database upgrade before doing PROD. On the bad news side, we don't backup our TEST environments regularly (which is why I had requested a backup).

Oh, and it's a project that goes all the way to the top, or will if it fails or is delayed too long.

:grund: :grund: :grund:
I think we can wait if you can just throw out a ballpark date when you might be ready so we know. Think having you will make it more fun for the rest of us so waiting a couple days wouldn't be a problem. (Just my $.02 of course)

PS: if it helps, I can rename my faction to your DBA's name? :) (Always so much fun when you get "help" from other people)