Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Video Games Randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

Sooo... the Steam sale is on. I'm considering either Phantom Doctrine or Curse of the Vampire Coast for Warhammer 2: Total War.

Anyone have any thoughts on either?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Another Stalker question. I'm making my way through the Red Forest, and man is that place active! There's also lots of radiation, and I'm running low on anti-rads. I've already possibly got one of the best suits in the game, the PSZ-9md, but the radiation is still absolutely beating me down. Don't know where to get more anti-rads. Got a couple more from the scientist at the lake, but I need more than that as I currently only have 6.

I'm talking about the zigzaggedy road that has you face loads of opposition as you make progress through it. So, I guess what I want to know is if there's a particular safe path through it all without having to encounter radiation? That thing is a bitch to deal with when you're also dealing with enemies.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Vodka also works as a antirad. gets ya drunk but does lower your rads well.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I considered that, but it's heavy and you don't exactly want to carry a lot of it on you at all times, plus it's not so great if you're trying to fight off your enemies ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:38 pm Another Stalker question. I'm making my way through the Red Forest, and man is that place active! There's also lots of radiation, and I'm running low on anti-rads. I've already possibly got one of the best suits in the game, the PSZ-9md, but the radiation is still absolutely beating me down. Don't know where to get more anti-rads. Got a couple more from the scientist at the lake, but I need more than that as I currently only have 6.

I'm talking about the zigzaggedy road that has you face loads of opposition as you make progress through it. So, I guess what I want to know is if there's a particular safe path through it all without having to encounter radiation? That thing is a bitch to deal with when you're also dealing with enemies.
I don't recall that area specifically. I'd have to do some reading. But.... (with the caveat that I apologize if I'm mixing games), one of the ways that I usually handled radiation was to pick up one or more artifacts with anti-rad properties. According to the list, either Crystals or Fireballs. And grab a Moonlight or Flash to offset the endurance hit.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:36 am Yeah, I considered that, but it's heavy and you don't exactly want to carry a lot of it on you at all times, plus it's not so great if you're trying to fight off your enemies ;)

Oh...I always edit my ini to allow me to carry like 7000 lbs and run with it too.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:41 am
Rumpy wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:36 am Yeah, I considered that, but it's heavy and you don't exactly want to carry a lot of it on you at all times, plus it's not so great if you're trying to fight off your enemies ;)

Oh...I always edit my ini to allow me to carry like 7000 lbs and run with it too.
Can you make yourself immune to radiation? I haven't played this since it came out but that might make it interesting.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never tried. I like the chance of death. I just dont like having to make 15 trips to a npc to loot everything.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:41 am

Of course, now you know you have to share how you've done that. Which .ini file and where, please :D From the sounds of it, it doesn't look like I'll be able to progress without it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is this the first Stalker we're talking about?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If its normal Stalker......also I use Win 7 so the files may be located somewhere else. Mine were under Steam and steamapps area and such. If you're not sure just do a search for the system.ltx and Actor.ltx files.

Once you find the system.ltx and Actor.ltx files then just open with notepad.. For retail buyers it should be located in C:/Program files/THQ/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. -Shadow of Chernobyl/Gamedata/ and for Steam users it should be located in C:Program files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Stalker shadow of Chernobyl/gamedata
Now you can finaly start to change the weight. First look for the line called max\_weight in the system.ltx file by opening it with notepad, it should be set to 50, we'll be changing it to the desired number, let's say 150.I make mine 7000. I pick up everything hehehe

Now go look for the line called max\_item\_mass in the actor.ltx file, located in config/creatures, by opening it with notepad, change the max\_item\_mass to the same number has for max\_weight, it would be 150 this time. Again I made it 7000

When your done with those steps look for the line named max\_walk\_weight in the actor.ltx file by opening it with notepad and change it's value to something higher then the one you picked for max\_item\_mass and max\_weight, let's say 170. I did 7250. This way you can still actually move if you reach your max :)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Thanks! And yeah, first Stalker, although I'm running ZRP on top of it, meaning some things like those files are nowhere to be found or in some cases like the system file, there are multiple versions of.

Edit: Oh wait, nevermind. I've found out there's an easy way to do it via the ZRP Modifier tool, which lets me access the file's weight values. I've even modified my stamina so that I can sprint without getting tired. There's also a utility tool accessed by pressing the Z key that allows you to repair anything anytime. No more broken armor!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Would be nice if Steam let me arrange games in my library by user rating.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:06 pm Sooo... the Steam sale is on. I'm considering either Phantom Doctrine or Curse of the Vampire Coast for Warhammer 2: Total War.

Sorry Blackhawk. I've never played either one.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I love TF2 but the respawn timer ruins the fun. Nothing worse than sitting nearly half a minute with nothing to do..over and over. You die a lot in the game and sitting is boring. I love the servers with 5 and under timers. 8 seconds I can tolerate. But over that and Im out of there. I give it two deaths to see what the timer is. The 16+ second ones are horrible. Im old..I need now now now cause Ill be dead later.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fardaza wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:29 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:06 pm Sooo... the Steam sale is on. I'm considering either Phantom Doctrine or Curse of the Vampire Coast for Warhammer 2: Total War.

Sorry Blackhawk. I've never played either one.
Dont know what any of that is.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Don't know anything about Total War, but my memory of Phantom Doctrine 'round these parts was that it was disappointing. At best. I assume if the price is low enough, it probably will still offer some fun. But don't expect much. Or so I recall.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

TheMix wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:57 pm Don't know anything about Total War, but my memory of Phantom Doctrine 'round these parts was that it was disappointing. At best. I assume if the price is low enough, it probably will still offer some fun. But don't expect much. Or so I recall.
I played 23 hours on Phantom Doctrine. It played in some respects like XCOM in the Cold War. Tactical combat was pretty nice, although some missions were poorly designed and they forced you to break from stealth mode and that would bring down tons of enemies and I felt it was unfair to me as the player. Many of the missions however were very enjoyable with very good map design and easy to use controls and decent camera views. It was rewarding to do a good job on mission execution by obtaining all mission goals and leave without ever raising an alarm.

The strategic game was reasonably well done, with subsystems to raise money for weapons and gadgets and do research and build facilities. There was a nice gameplay mechanic that balanced risk and reward in that you could take certain actions that gave you more benefit with an increased chance of the bad guys finding your hideout. Graphically it had a good 1960s era feel to the hideouts.

There were a number of serious design issues issues with the released version, not bugs but design features that made the game less fun. I specifically remember some line of sight issues that were rather frustrating. The developers did eventually produce a big upgrade that addressed many of the issues but I was rather burned out on the game by then.

I would say if you can get it cheap and like the XCOM style of gameplay, it would be a good game to pick up.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Any one played Wasteland 2? It's on sale over at GOG, looks between Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:52 pm Any one played Wasteland 2? It's on sale over at GOG, looks between Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics.
I played it and I'd say that if you liked the original Wastelands you'll probably like W2, if it is the Director's Cut edition.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That was long enough ago that I broke down and spent my ten bucks on The Vampire Coast already. ;)
Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:52 pm Any one played Wasteland 2? It's on sale over at GOG, looks between Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics.
I played it. It's a lot of fun, closer to the Fallout 1/2 with lots of RPG elements and good turn based combat.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:35 am Would be nice if Steam let me arrange games in my library by user rating.
Not steam directly, but it has lots of options for sorting and filtering...

https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/u/Daehawk
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Never played FO1 and FO2... I know the story, and I played through FOT. Never did play Wasteland though. One of the games I missed way back when.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks Coop. Wow that site says I have 750 games. Its like that old Pink Floyd song..13 channels of shit on the tv to choose from....750 games on Steam to choose from and I dont enjoy anything.

I loved both original Fallouts to death. Finished them many times. Ive tried Wasteland 2 3 times and quickly quit. i think its me these days though as I tried Fallout 2 last year and quit quick too.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:11 pm Never played FO1 and FO2... I know the story, and I played through FOT. Never did play Wasteland though. One of the games I missed way back when.
Um, Fallout Tactics meets Baldur's Gate with post-apocalyptic cowboys?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got up at 8:30am this morning. Ive done no gaming other than 10 minutes of TF2. I may play another 10 minutes tonight before bed. It was this way yesterday. In fact its been this way ALL YEAR. I cant force myself to game or enjoy it. I try and its either mehhhhhhh button click weeee boring or its I'LL (&*^^%% them!!! I mostly walk around, clean parts of the house, cook something simple(warming), lay in bed, sit in my chair stare at pc screen, watch YouTube, try to play something get mad or bored and quit. In a weeks time I 'may' get in 1 hour or so of gaming. I used to get in 12 hours straight a day.

Im not really worried about anything...Im just not able to play. I dont want to do anything else yet I cant make myself play. I dont have anyone to see or anywhere to go and I dont want anyone to see or anywhere to go. I want to play. When Im away from the pc I think of games. I was at the store yesterday getting my medicines and the flashes of games went through my mind. I had that feeling I used to have of a good game. But when Im at the pc I care nothing about gaming. One day into the next. Living month to month.

Wish I could game and pass some time.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have a friend who was bitten on the leg by a black recluse. His flesh is necrotized halfway around his leg, but he refuses to mess with doctors. He doesn't like them, so he suffers and puts himself at risk.

Daehawk, you're describing classic symptoms of depression. We've said it before, you need to talk to someone. Don't suffer and put yourself at risk when you don't need to. The alternative is that continued suffering is by your own choice.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:53 pm Daehawk, you're describing classic symptoms of depression. We've said it before, you need to talk to someone. Don't suffer and put yourself at risk when you don't need to. The alternative is that continued suffering is by your own choice.
AMEN.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:53 pmDaehawk, you're describing classic symptoms of depression. We've said it before, you need to talk to someone. Don't suffer and put yourself at risk when you don't need to. The alternative is that continued suffering is by your own choice.
I wrote something quite similar, but deleted it; you said it much better. Replying and quoting with the hopes that after all this time, the message is heard.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Should we commission Lassr to go shanghai him?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

:)

Lets not get in that again. May one day who knows. I feel fine otherwise. I refuse to take brain meds of any kind so dont see a brain doc helping in that area. Already was given Cymbalta I just wont take the stuff. Also I couldn't talk to anyone as no one but my wife knew me. No on shares the experiences or memories that I have in my head and I wouldn't follow advice to change my habits or get out or something. I find it all silly and something I dont wish to do. I just want to play some games.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No one is saying you need meds, but you absolutely need help. Stop being an old crotchety man and get some, please. We're collectively saying it out of genuine concern for you.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

eh I know. But I do things myself and it just takes time.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:34 pm :)

Lets not get in that again. May one day who knows. I feel fine otherwise. I refuse to take brain meds of any kind so dont see a brain doc helping in that area. Already was given Cymbalta I just wont take the stuff. Also I couldn't talk to anyone as no one but my wife knew me. No on shares the experiences or memories that I have in my head and I wouldn't follow advice to change my habits or get out or something. I find it all silly and something I dont wish to do. I just want to play some games.
You have that right. Just remember: When you can't get into a game, when nothing seems fun, when nothing that you used to love gives you any satisfaction at all, that is what you are choosing. And remember that you can change your mind any time you like.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Reported for making this thread off-topic.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, I finished Stalker SOC: I ended up not joining C-Conciousness. I felt like the gameplay was some kind of BS towards the end. I liked the game until I actually got to the power plant, and then was disappointed in the bland corridors. I checked out the Wish-Granter ending, then found the secret door that led me to that hologram or whatever it is, and choosing not to join it then has you go through a series of teleporters, which I felt was quite tedious and not very fun. That last bit felt like a slog.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Finally finished the Company of Heroes Normandy campaign. It only took me seven years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:49 pm So, I finished Stalker SOC: I ended up not joining C-Conciousness. I felt like the gameplay was some kind of BS towards the end. I liked the game until I actually got to the power plant, and then was disappointed in the bland corridors. I checked out the Wish-Granter ending, then found the secret door that led me to that hologram or whatever it is, and choosing not to join it then has you go through a series of teleporters, which I felt was quite tedious and not very fun. That last bit felt like a slog.
I went to play Pripyat again but didn't get into it. And it crashed after a mod install. I simply got to the first boat and quit. May retry with a lot more mods.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:55 pm Finally finished the Company of Heroes Normandy campaign. It only took me seven years.
Causeway from Tales of Valor down. I hadn't really researched the expansions to know that it would be a short series of missions.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Can you turn off the STeam Overlay? In some games it opens a little box in the bottom right that hides some of my UI. Im tired of alt=tab to open fully then again to close it.