Xbox Series X & Series S

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hrothgar

Xbox Series X & Series S

Post by Hrothgar »

In a surprise announcement at the Game Awards, Microsoft unveiled Project Scarlett = Xbox Series X.

Is it a square Echo? The monolith from 2001? Half a PC case?

Enlarge Image

The Verge has the annoucement info and some spec analysis.
Last edited by Hrothgar on Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scraper

Re: Xbox Series X

Post by Scraper »

Microsoft says the box design is to save space in your entertainment stand, but it's height would be an issue for me. Most entertainment stands are set up for wide flat boxes, not tall skinny ones. It's a weird decision. However, from an aesthetic standpoint I really dig the design, it looks interesting to me.

Also, cnn reported that the controller will be sold separate for $179.00. I really hope that amount was a typo because close to $200 is insane for one controller. I'm thinking it will be more like $79.
FTE
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Scraper wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:26 am Also, cnn reported that the controller will be sold separate for $179.00. I really hope that amount was a typo because close to $200 is insane for one controller. I'm thinking it will be more like $79.
That's the MSRP for the elite controller for the current xbox. There is no way they are selling standard controllers at that price point.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Roman

Post by Roman »

Article below says that existing controllers will work with the new Xbox.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox- ... 0-6472190/
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Great. From XBone to SexBox :D They're really great at naming. :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:26 pm Great. From XBone to SexBox :D They're really great at naming. :lol:
Microsoft Series X. We have a plug-in port and vibrating controller for all your entertainment needs...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:26 pm Great. From XBone to SexBox :D They're really great at naming. :lol:
I mean...

XBOX
XBOX 360
XBOX One (One S, One X)
XBOX Series X

I think they are trying to make Nintendo look better.
NES
SNES
N64
Gamecube
Wii
Wii U
Switch

At least occasionally the Nintendo console names followed a pattern.
Scraper wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:26 am Microsoft says the box design is to save space in your entertainment stand, but it's height would be an issue for me. Most entertainment stands are set up for wide flat boxes, not tall skinny ones. It's a weird decision. However, from an aesthetic standpoint I really dig the design, it looks interesting to me.
Yeah my consoles are in an old school AV rack. This won't have *any* chance of fitting in there.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

My boys (16 and 11) are reveling in calling this the XBOX SeX.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Scraper wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:26 am Microsoft says the box design is to save space in your entertainment stand, but it's height would be an issue for me.
Same. My first thought when seeing that is I would have nowhere to put it without it overheating. Aesthetically I do like it though...
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Lordnine wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:54 am
Scraper wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:26 am Microsoft says the box design is to save space in your entertainment stand, but it's height would be an issue for me.
Same. My first thought when seeing that is I would have nowhere to put it without it overheating. Aesthetically I do like it though...
The linked article does note that "the console itself is designed to be used in both vertical and horizontal orientations" so I would think that would help. I'd probably go with it horizontal...
-mf
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:15 pm
The linked article does note that "the console itself is designed to be used in both vertical and horizontal orientations" so I would think that would help. I'd probably go with it horizontal...
In the context of the SexBox all of the above takes a whole new meaning... :shock:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've swung back to the PC side of gaming and really find I don't have enough gaming time to justify the expense of a new gaming device. Particularly a console for a TV that my kids are hogging with YouTube 90% of the time.

But I'm still buying this Day One. :lol:
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:15 pm
Not sure that fills me with confidence. Was it the XBox or PS that was designed to be used both "horizontal and vertical" but if you did it the wrong way for extended periods of time it tended to break? Now that disk drives are less important that might not be an issue anymore but still a consideration.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

As noted, I seem to recall that being about the disk drives and them not working reliably when vertical, but don't think it was console specific and pretty sure hasn't been an issue for quite some time now. Not to derail this, but my XBox isn't used nearly as much as my, errr... other console, so it will be my "day one" purchase, this one not so much. :wink:
-mf
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

They've released a more thorough specs breakdown. It does look like quite a beast. That cooling design certainly looks like they want it standing up. 8K still looks like a limited use case, but smooth 4k is good enough for me. I'll never complain about faster load times.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hrothgar wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:05 pm They've released a more thorough specs breakdown. It does look like quite a beast. That cooling design certainly looks like they want it standing up. 8K still looks like a limited use case, but smooth 4k is good enough for me. I'll never complain about faster load times.
Where am I supposed to put it if it's standing up, though? On the floor?
Hodor.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Hrothgar wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:05 pm They've released a more thorough specs breakdown. It does look like quite a beast. That cooling design certainly looks like they want it standing up. 8K still looks like a limited use case, but smooth 4k is good enough for me. I'll never complain about faster load times.
It is an absolute beast of a machine. Here's hoping that the PS5 comes in very similar or even slightly faster. I've never been an xbox guy, but the thought of complete backwards compatibility with graphical improvements to boot is an exciting feature, especially if you haven't played any of the XBOX 1 exclusives.
FTE
Hrothgar

Re: Xbox Series X & Series S

Post by Hrothgar »

Microsoft has confirmed the $299 Series S.

It appears to target 1440p. It's small, it's fast, it has no disk drive.

Same CPU as Series X
7.5 GB RAM
4 Teraflops GPU performance with ray-tracing and variable refresh rate
512 GB NVME SSD drive
smallest Xbox ever
$299
Expected to launch Nov 10th.

Windows central reports that the Series X will be $499.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I'm really leaning hard into the Xbox Series X All Access Option, but the launch lineup is less than appealing. I definitely plan on getting the PS5 (Lets face it Sony's good first party games are much more numerous than Microsofts) and I will likely play most mulitplatform games on the PS5, unless they are free with the Game pass or EA services. So is there any bets on whether AC Valhalla or Far Cry 6 will be available out of the gate from Gamepass?
Last edited by Scraper on Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FTE
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'd bet Valhalla is since they moved up the launch to coincide with the Xbox launch. But I'm usually bad at bets.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:14 pm I'd bet Valhalla is since they moved up the launch to coincide with the Xbox launch. But I'm usually bad at bets.
I'm going to bet that the general population is going to get really confused with the naming convention.

Oh look, this store has that new Xbox S that I heard about! Wait no, this is a One S, I need a Series S. Are you sure you want a Series S? Don't you already have a One X which is better? No, the One X is better than the One S but worse than the Series S. You're thinking of the Series X.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:09 pm
Alefroth wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:14 pm I'd bet Valhalla is since they moved up the launch to coincide with the Xbox launch. But I'm usually bad at bets.
I'm going to bet that the general population is going to get really confused with the naming convention.

Oh look, this store has that new Xbox S that I heard about! Wait no, this is a One S, I need a Series S. Are you sure you want a Series S? Don't you already have a One X which is better? No, the One X is better than the One S but worse than the Series S. You're thinking of the Series X.
Totally agree with that, and I almost mentioned it. Playstation sure knows how to keep it simple.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

On the plus side they have stopped production of the One S digital edition and the One X. But, they'll still make the One S, and the inventory hasn't cleared out yet.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

From the Verge: The Xbox Series S plays Xbox One S versions of Xbox One games -- Xbox One X enhancements won’t be applied

I suppose that makes sense on one level, but it just adds to the confusion.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Welp, my plan to hit the preorder button at the exact moment they went on sale didn't work. All sold out of the X series pretty much everywhere, from what I'm reading. :x
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:14 am Welp, my plan to hit the preorder button at the exact moment they went on sale didn't work. All sold out of the X series pretty much everywhere, from what I'm reading. :x
I completed a preorder for the X on Microsoft's website about 2 minutes ago.
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My plan to pass on xbox this generation has held strong so far. It would hold a little stronger if, you know, it was possible to pre-order a PS5.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:34 am
hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:14 am Welp, my plan to hit the preorder button at the exact moment they went on sale didn't work. All sold out of the X series pretty much everywhere, from what I'm reading. :x
Crap, what link did you use? I just keep getting an error code.

edit: microsoft store says they're out of stock now.
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I had one in my cart from Walmart. But I want to go the all access route and I couldn't figure out how to select that option on Walmart.com. By the time I figured it out they were all gone.
FTE
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:39 am
pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:34 am
Crap, what link did you use? I just keep getting an error code.
I went straight through xbox.com. Took me a couple of tries after getting error messages, but I finally made it through.

They now show it as "out of stock" via the Microsoft Store.
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/configure/8WJ714N3RBTL

I managed to get to the checkout, but of course I am not buying it dammit!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's the link I was using before that reports an error finding the page.

edit: aaaannnnd I just got in to see they're out of stock. :x
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It took a couple refreshes to get it to load, and again on the checkout, but it got there.

All Access link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox- ... 65QFQQ4K01
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Gamestop is still dumping people into a virtual line, so I wonder if they still have some stock.
Hodor.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I look forward to not playing with you for another generation Proner! Got mine from MS directly.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sigh...finally got to checkout and it's just spinning...when it's not telling me that it can't ship to the United States for some reason.
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Harkonis wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:52 am I look forward to not playing with you for another generation Proner! Got mine from MS directly.
:lol: :lol:
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I give up. I got one in my cart but it won't let me finish the purchase, stating there's an issue on their end. It is not meant to be. I was only doing this because I had a bunch of microsoft credit from gift cards earlier this year that I haven't used. But I'll just enjoy my xbox one x for another year.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

After the Bethesda news, I thought about jumping ship from PS5 to Xbox. I had the console in my cart at Target and Best Buy, but neither would let me check out. I guess I don't need anything on release day, at any rate.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

So after the PS5 debacle.....(I was going to get a PS5 for myself), my son wanted an Xbox Series X for Christmas. I knew the perils. I warned him (he's at school of course).

My wife and I both got on separate computers and tried. Her Amazon link bombed out.... BAM. Done. She's out of the game. I'm over on Walmart refreshing... get to the cart. BAM. Sold out. I kept refreshing the screen and trying....SOLD OUT. SOLD OUT. God how I hate the console launches.

My wife shrugs, gets off the phone with me to go back to work. One or two more refreshes for me and BAM! Order Complete! However, I do a double take and apparently one of my refreshes added another Xbox Series X to the cart. I am confirmed for TWO Xbox Series X consoles. :p

The plan was for my son to get an Xbox (partially paying us in his summer work funds) and for me to get a PS5. It looks like we will both have Xbox consoles for Christmas.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.