Wyrmwood Roll the Dice Sale...and my dilemma

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

Wyrmwood Roll the Dice Sale...and my dilemma

Post by hentzau »

So Wyrmwood, purveyors of fine, overpriced gaming supplies, has a holiday "Roll the Dice" sale going on. Basically, their dice vaults and dice trays are on a big sale, and they send you a random wood type. I bought 3 dice vaults for my kids for Christmas, and they are beautiful. And now I'm jealous.

So I really want one of the Player's Sets. Its almost half price, and it's just...I have no need for it, but I want it! And they will only be at these prices through like this Thursday.

I could buy it for myself, for certain. But I would feel a bit like a dick ordering that for myself after I just got my kids only dice vaults. (Hey kids...your dice vaults are cool, but look at THIS!)

My wife would never go for buying it for me for Christmas either. She always buys me small things, and pretty much never anything that I really want. She gets creative, she tries hard, but mostly...

Not really looking for a solution. I don't really have one. I'll get by without a fancy dice vault and tray.

But man, they are pretty...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Re: Wyrmwood Roll the Dice Sale...and my dilemma

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, you just give some OOer a gift of cash - just to be nice. That OOer then gives you a gift of a tray set, just to be nice right back. By pure luck, they give you one that is the same value as your gift to them! And it didn't come from you to yourself, so you're off the hook!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Tao

Post by Tao »

Wyrmwood had a booth at PAX again this year, their stuff is gorgeous but pricey. Even my buddy who was with us who owns his own business and is in the 7 figures range said it was pricey for what it is. Still nice stuff tho.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Buy now and open it on your birthday?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Easy solution. Buy 4 player sets.

What am I looking at there though? Is that a dice holder and something to roll dice in?

I think the "dice tower complete system" looks like a nice bang for buck.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:44 am Easy solution. Buy 4 player sets.

What am I looking at there though? Is that a dice holder and something to roll dice in?

I think the "dice tower complete system" looks like a nice bang for buck.
Yeah, you pretty much have it in one. It's a nice carry case for your favorite set of dice, and a nice tray to roll them in.

It's completely unnecessary. A completely superfluous item. But that's what I like in a Christmas gift. Completely superfluous.

This is kind of like my Red Ryder BB Gun...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Wyrmwood makes really, really nice stuff. I have a couple of friends who use their dice vaults. They pull out those beautiful pieces of artistry while I pull out my clunky plastic dice box (really an old lure box.) The problem is, I normally play with three sets of dice. I've found it is exactly the right number such that I don't have to reroll dice very often unless I'm playing a rogue. It would still be nice for a 'go bag', though.

Their dice trays are nice, too. The problem is that 90% of the time, I'm the GM. When I'm the GM, I roll in the open, and I want the players to be able to see the dice. I use a clear acrylic dice tray. Technically it's an acrylic drawer organizer that I stuck felt into, but it lets the players see the dice through the sides. I also use Koplow giant dice for GMing for the same reason.

And I picked up a dice tower I really like at GenCon this year.

And yet I'd still kill for those.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I threw caution to the wind, and sent my wife a link. Sometimes you just got to say, what the heck.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

You can't put just plain old dice in there either.
Maybe grab yourself some Displacer Beast dice while you're at it? A full set will only set you back $197.

I have no idea if these are good or not, but they are shiny and cost more than normal dice. :)
Last edited by Archinerd on Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Her response was "I can see where your daughter gets her dice obsession from."

So, I will enjoy whatever comes my way! Now that I've put it out there, it's no longer on my mind.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

So, did you get one for Christmas?
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

No. But I bought myself one with some Christmas money I got. I cleared it with the kids, they were cool with it.