11 states and gay marraige

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Mr. Fed wrote:You know, I hear a lot about how divorce is wrecking society. Do we really have a scientific test of the alternatives? I mean, can we get two pools of kids -- one whose parents divorced, the other whose parents wanted to divorce but did not, and see who winds up the most screwed up? Do kids of divorce wind up any more screwed up than the kids of loveless and bitter unions, abusive relationships, etc.? Are there are lot of happy, stable, positive, nurturing marriages out there being lost to divorce?
I was with you until this paragraph. Assuming that both parents have appropriate relationships with the children, then I believe the children benefit more from the close proximity to both parents than they suffer from the dysfunction between the parents.

Children learn gender and cultural identities from both spouses. Both boys and girls need parental examples from both genders. Men and women are fundamentally different. I think we forget that sometimes in our endless striving for equality.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Last time I heard, the state was there to protect the public's interests, not the other way around.

It says something about the 'decline' of marriage that gays want to have families, but so many anti-gay-marriage people seem to equate marriage with either nothing more than a legal contract or a business arrangement that needs to bring in 'profit' to be legitimate.

If every decision as to what is allowed or not boiled down to 'what benefits the state', we'd be in one ugly, ugly place.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

Men and women are fundamentally different. I think we forget that sometimes in our endless striving for equality.
Well said! Although someone should be ringing in any time now to post "Are we pretending the last 20 years didn't happen".
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

jonsauce wrote:
Men and women are fundamentally different. I think we forget that sometimes in our endless striving for equality.
Well said! Although someone should be ringing in any time now to post "Are we pretending the last 20 years didn't happen".
Yes, men and women are fundamentally different. I am a big fan of certain of the differences. But this observation, standing alone, isn't particularly meaningful. It's applying the observation to particular social policies -- and proving, or disporoving, that the differences are actually relevant to those policies -- where the rubber meets the road.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Grifman wrote:Homosexual relationships do nothing to serve the state interest of propagating society, so there is no reason for the state to grant them the costly benefits of marriage, unless they serve some other state interest. The burden of proof, therefore, is on the advocates of gay marriage to show what state interest these marriages serve. Thus far, this burden has not been met.

I think the burden of proof is on you to give me a reason.

Grifman
Hold up...so as a single guy, by knocking up my g/f (or some random chick) I'd be 'serving the state interest of propagating society'? Is that the right of it?

But how could I possibly be having sex outside of marriage? :shock:

*head explodes*

C'mon Grifman, it doesnt take a 2 page Mr. Fed post to shread that silly argument(though he did a damn fine job of it..).
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

jonsauce wrote:
Besides the obvious physiologic differences...

There are certainly psychological traits that are different, on average.
Padre

Post by Padre »

This from the article (emphasis mine):
If the state must recognize a marriage of two men simply because they love one another, upon what basis can it deny marital recognition to a group of two men and three women, for example, or a sterile brother and sister who claim to love each other? Homosexual activists protest that they only want all couples treated equally. But why is sexual love between two people more worthy of state sanction than love between three, or five? When the purpose of marriage is procreation, the answer is obvious. If sexual love becomes the primary purpose, the restriction of marriage to couples loses its logical basis, leading to marital chaos.
Excuse me?

If procreation is the goal, why is it "obvious" we shold restrict marrriage to couples? Surely a polygamous marriage consisting of, say, one man and four women could both produce and care for a far greater number of children?

It doesn't seem obvious to me that a couple is the only possible procreative configuration, or even that couples are the best type...

So I think the author's rather shot himself in the foot here. His view of the purpose of marriage advances the case for polygamy, if anything.

Or am I missing something?
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

You know what gets me about some polygamists, especially those "mormons" who live in the wilds of Utah with their 3-4 wives and 16 kids? Most of the time those kids/familes are living off of welfare in big time poverty. So some guy gets his harem of wives to bang (guy has to be nuts if you ask me to marry more than one woman) and his gaggle of kids to increase his bloodline and my taxes go to support his lazy arse and his kids. If he can't support all of his kids, he shouldn't be having them.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Blackhawk wrote:
If every decision as to what is allowed or not boiled down to 'what benefits the state', we'd be in one ugly, ugly place.
...or at least the Soviet Union.
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Mr. Fed wrote:
jonsauce wrote:
Yes, men and women are fundamentally different. I am a big fan of certain of the differences. But this observation, standing alone, isn't particularly meaningful. It's applying the observation to particular social policies -- and proving, or disporoving, that the differences are actually relevant to those policies -- where the rubber meets the road.
I think we both know that neither one of us is going to do a study.

But I also know that both of us are dads. So I think you've already started to see that what your kids become is borrowed heavily from your wife and yourself. If I'm not mistaken, my kids are older than yours at 10 and 8. At this point I can pick out individual personality traits that come from me or Monica- part of that is related to differing perspectives based on different life experiences and some of those experiences flow from gender.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Ranulf wrote:You know what gets me about some polygamists, especially those "mormons" who live in the wilds of Utah with their 3-4 wives and 16 kids? Most of the time those kids/familes are living off of welfare in big time poverty. So some guy gets his harem of wives to bang (guy has to be nuts if you ask me to marry more than one woman) and his gaggle of kids to increase his bloodline and my taxes go to support his lazy arse and his kids. If he can't support all of his kids, he shouldn't be having them.
Of course he should. he is benefitting society by procreating.

Unlike those nasty gays that are highly educated, self sufficient and adopting a kid. They are detrimental to the continuation of society and counyer to the interests of the state. As are my childless wife and I , I suppose.

Bummer.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Poleaxe wrote:
Mr. Fed wrote:
jonsauce wrote:
I think we both know that neither one of us is going to do a study.

But I also know that both of us are dads. So I think you've already started to see that what your kids become is borrowed heavily from your wife and yourself. If I'm not mistaken, my kids are older than yours at 10 and 8. At this point I can pick out individual personality traits that come from me or Monica- part of that is related to differing perspectives based on different life experiences and some of those experiences flow from gender.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but if your spouse was "Mark" you'd STILL see the kids adopting traits of yours or his, respectively.
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Mr. Sparkle wrote:on average.
On average? Geez, how many women do you know?
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

geezer wrote:
Please don't take this the wrong way, but if your spouse was "Mark" you'd STILL see the kids adopting traits of yours or his, respectively.
Of course, but what I'm saying is that there is a "gender perspective" that is part of the mix.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Poleaxe wrote:
geezer wrote:
Of course, but what I'm saying is that there is a "gender perspective" that is part of the mix.
What if Mark is a total flamer?
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

geezer wrote:
Poleaxe wrote:
geezer wrote:
I don't have any frame of reference to answer this.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Poleaxe wrote:
geezer wrote:
Poleaxe wrote:
geezer wrote:
I don't have any frame of reference to answer this.
Sorry -- I'm just being silly..

Seriously, I agree that children probably benefit from exposure to differing gender roles, but a) I'm surprised that, as a conservative, you would support the idea that it's the government's obligation to provide an *ideal* environment for anyone, and b) Because the government does not perform this role in relation to divorced parents, single parent adoptions or even gay *couple* adoptions, I'd argue that prohibiting gay *marraige* on the basis of what it might do to kids is still discriminatory, not to mention counter to other law on the subject.
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

geezer wrote:
Sorry -- I'm just being silly..

Seriously, I agree that children probably benefit from exposure to differing gender roles, but a) I'm surprised that, as a conservative, you would support the idea that it's the government's obligation to provide an *ideal* environment for anyone, and b) Because the government does not perform this role in relation to divorced parents, single parent adoptions or even gay *couple* adoptions, I'd argue that prohibiting gay *marraige* on the basis of what it might do to kids is still discriminatory, not to mention counter to other law on the subject.
Well, really I was responding to Mr. Feds post and it wasn't about gay marriage. I'm not against gay marriage, but I am against gay adoption. However, I have admitted at GG that gay parents are better than no parents at all. So maybe my position is best described as ambivalent.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A gay couple that goes through the effort and screening necessary to successfully adopt has already invested more in their child's future, and has already shown more of a positive, productive attitude than 1/4 of all the parents in this country. If only 'Brady Bunch' families should be allowed children, then we'd better plan for a huge population drop.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
D'Arcy

Post by D'Arcy »

Mr. Fed wrote:What is the procreative interest in prohibiting group marriage? I would think it would be better for procreation -- more caregivers, more fertility windows, etc.
As Ranulf has correctly pointed out, one man cannot appropriately care for so many wives and their children. Furthermore, the discord that frequently arises between the many wives is detrimental to the education of the children.
GungHo wrote:Hold up...so as a single guy, by knocking up my g/f (or some random chick) I'd be 'serving the state interest of propagating society'? Is that the right of it?
No, because the upbringing and training is part of the procreative process. Among some creatures, such as dogs, the female alone is sufficient to rear the offspring, which is why the male leaves her after the sexual act. But in others, such as birds, the male necessarily participates in the upbringing. Now a human child obviously requires even more education and care than a bird, doesn't it?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Grifman wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Those are solid, non-biased reasons to deny the legal joining of siblings and dogs. Now give me one for gays.
Actually, I agree with this writer:

http://www-tech.mit.edu/V124/N5/kolasinski.5c.html

Homosexual relationships do nothing to serve the state interest of propagating society, so there is no reason for the state to grant them the costly benefits of marriage, unless they serve some other state interest. The burden of proof, therefore, is on the advocates of gay marriage to show what state interest these marriages serve. Thus far, this burden has not been met.

Grifman
Wow. My wife and I have been trying for 9 years to have children. We're finally looking at adopting. Thanks for letting me know that our 14 year commitment to each other is a sham. I appreciate it.
Jason Donati

Post by Jason Donati »

D'Arcy wrote:
Mr. Fed wrote:What is the procreative interest in prohibiting group marriage? I would think it would be better for procreation -- more caregivers, more fertility windows, etc.
As Ranulf has correctly pointed out, one man cannot appropriately care for so many wives and their children. Furthermore, the discord that frequently arises between the many wives is detrimental to the education of the children.
No, Ranulf stated that if one man couldn't care for so many children, he shouldn't have them to begin with. I agree with him and personally think that should apply to everyone. If your stance boils down to polygamy is wrong because such relationships could result in individuals bearing children who are inadequately cared for and that problems could arise between the members in such a marriage that could be detrimental to their offspring then I'm left wondering what your overall feelings on marriage in general must be (considering America has the #1 highest divorce rate of any nation).
"I'll be working harder than a cat trying to bury turd on a marble floor." - The Venture Brothers
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

D'Arcy wrote:
GungHo wrote:Hold up...so as a single guy, by knocking up my g/f (or some random chick) I'd be 'serving the state interest of propagating society'? Is that the right of it?
No, because the upbringing and training is part of the procreative process. Among some creatures, such as dogs, the female alone is sufficient to rear the offspring, which is why the male leaves her after the sexual act. But in others, such as birds, the male necessarily participates in the upbringing. Now a human child obviously requires even more education and care than a bird, doesn't it?
Not according to dictionary.com.
procreation

n : the sexual activity of conceiving and bearing offspring
Now I would agree with you that upbringing and training SHOULD be the responsibility of the procreators(ers?), but I think we can all find far too many examples where parents don't share in that responsibility.

Besides, what does the author mean by 'propagating society', exactly? Is it simply adding more mouths to the population as a whole? I wouldnt think so; as RM9 will argue(till he's blue in the face) that's not necessarily a good thing. But if we take your definition D'Arcy, well then we've got many and more heterosexual ppl(couples as well as single folks) falling woefully short of that goal.

Clearly the fact that a man and a woman may be married does nothing to guarantee that the state interests will be met. It's my personal opinion that the traditional family is the best way for children to be brought up, BUT that doesnt mean I think it's the only way.

I still think it's a silly argument for the simple reason someone pointed out earlier; the people dont exist to serve the state, the state exists to serve the people.[/quote]
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Al

Post by Al »

Grifman wrote:Actually, I agree with this writer:

Homosexual relationships do nothing to serve the state interest of propagating society, so there is no reason for the state to grant them the costly benefits of marriage, unless they serve some other state interest. The burden of proof, therefore, is on the advocates of gay marriage to show what state interest these marriages serve. Thus far, this burden has not been met.

And I still say the burden of proof is on the state if it is going to arbitrarily deny rights to subsets of people. I'll ask it again: where in any of the marriage statutes does it say that married couples have to propagate?

Not to mention the Soviet style reasoning behind this. In the United States, we are not supposed to be serving at the pleasure of the state. Calls are already going out for the President "to affect policy that will promote a more decent society, through both politics and law." Comments like this and yours are worrying at best.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Jerry Falwell on gay marriage:
COOPER: But Democrats argue look, John Kerry doesn't support gay marriage. I mean he doesn't want a constitutional amendment about it, but he didn't support gay marriage. Why is it that the Republicans have been able to benefit from that whereas the Democrats did not? Is it simply the question of the constitutional -- the federal amendment?

FALWELL: Well, nobody believes John Kerry on that because his voting record, pro choice, his voting record on the family issues, does -- belies his statement. And the fact that he would not support a federal marriage amendment, it equates in our minds as someone 150 years ago saying I'm personally opposed to slavery, but if my neighbor wants to own one or two that's OK. We don't buy that.
Accepting gay marriage is like approving of your neighbor having slaves! :shock:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Jason Donati

Post by Jason Donati »

Enough wrote:Jerry Falwell on gay marriage:
COOPER: But Democrats argue look, John Kerry doesn't support gay marriage. I mean he doesn't want a constitutional amendment about it, but he didn't support gay marriage. Why is it that the Republicans have been able to benefit from that whereas the Democrats did not? Is it simply the question of the constitutional -- the federal amendment?

FALWELL: Well, nobody believes John Kerry on that because his voting record, pro choice, his voting record on the family issues, does -- belies his statement. And the fact that he would not support a federal marriage amendment, it equates in our minds as someone 150 years ago saying I'm personally opposed to slavery, but if my neighbor wants to own one or two that's OK. We don't buy that.
Accepting gay marriage is like approving of your neighbor having slaves! :shock:
Hm. I don't think that was his point, or at least that's not how I read into it. I can understand how, from the viewpoint of someone who sees gay marriage as morally wrong, Kerry's position could be equated with a Slavery era stance that "hey, I think it's wrong, too, but I'm not for banning it!" A meaningless position, if you're one staunchly against allowing homsexuals to marry.

Of course, there's some big differences between banning slavery and banning gay marriage but I understood the idea of what Falwell was saying (I think).
"I'll be working harder than a cat trying to bury turd on a marble floor." - The Venture Brothers
Enough

Post by Enough »

Jason Donati wrote:
Enough wrote:Jerry Falwell on gay marriage:

Hm. I don't think that was his point, or at least that's not how I read into it. I can understand how, from the viewpoint of someone who sees gay marriage as morally wrong, Kerry's position could be equated with a Slavery era stance that "hey, I think it's wrong, too, but I'm not for banning it!" A meaningless position, if you're one staunchly against allowing homsexuals to marry.

Of course, there's some big differences between banning slavery and banning gay marriage but I understood the idea of what Falwell was saying (I think).

Actually you're right, he was more or less getting at Kerry's personal stance on gay marriage vs. his political stance. I guess it's the use of slavery in the comparison that bothers me so much. He may as well compare it to Nazi's to fully evoke the spirit of Godwin's Law and get it over with. :)
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Mr. Fed wrote:
Grifman wrote: Actually, I agree with this writer:

http://www-tech.mit.edu/V124/N5/kolasinski.5c.html
Wow.
Yes, wow :)
In a sense, a married couple receives a subsidy. Why? Because a marriage between two unrelated heterosexuals is likely to result in a family with children, and propagation of society is a compelling state interest. For this reason, states have, in varying degrees, restricted from marriage couples unlikely to produce children.
For that proposition, the author cites only a few examples:
Actually, you seem to be confused. The examples he cites BELOW come BEFORE the part of the article you quote above. These examples are in support of his opening statement that marriage is not a universal right. They have nothing to do with the part you quote above.
Roughly half of all states prohibit first cousins from marrying, and all prohibit marriage of closer blood relatives, even if the individuals being married are sterile. In all states, it is illegal to attempt to marry more than one person, or even to pass off more than one person as one’s spouse. Some states restrict the marriage of people suffering from syphilis or other venereal diseases. Homosexuals, therefore, are not the only people to be denied the right to marry the person of their choosing.
Of course, we bar incest precisely because it COULD result in procreation.
Yes, he mentions that as an example that marriage is not a universal right. He states that quit clearly. I think you are confused on this - see below.
And I don't get what barring polygamy has to do with encouraging procreation -- don't polygamists statistically have bigger families, for cultural reasons if no others?
Once again, you misread the article. His opening statement is that marriage is not a universal right. He then goes on to list others that are restricted from marriage, not for the same reasons as homosexuals, but to show that there are others who are restricted. You seemed to have not understood the opening point.
I also don't get the connection between barring the marriage of people with social diseases (assuming such laws have survived any recent challenges) and procreation, as only some social diseases in some stages impair fertility. In short, I don't think any of this author's examples support his premise that the purpose of legal recognition of marriage (or restrictions thereon) is to support procreation.
I'll repeat his opening statement since you seemed to have missed that:

The debate over whether the state ought to recognize gay marriages has thus far focused on the issue as one of civil rights. Such a treatment is erroneous because state recognition of marriage is not a universal right. States regulate marriage in many ways besides denying men the right to marry men, and women the right to marry women.

His point is that others are restricted - not for the same reason, but still restricted. He then goes on to say why the restriction for homosexuals exists. Marriage is recognized for procreation purposes, the corollary is not true - he does not say all restrictions are due to procreative purposes. You are misreading him when you say that.
That said, he gets around to his explanation of why, if procreation is the point of marriage, we do so little to require procreation in marriage:
A small minority of married couples are infertile. However, excluding sterile couples from marriage, in all but the most obvious cases such as those of blood relatives, would be costly. Few people who are sterile know it, and fertility tests are too expensive and burdensome to mandate. One might argue that the exclusion of blood relatives from marriage is only necessary to prevent the conception of genetically defective children, but blood relatives cannot marry even if they undergo sterilization. Some couples who marry plan not to have children, but without mind-reading technology, excluding them is impossible. Elderly couples can marry, but such cases are so rare that it is simply not worth the effort to restrict them. The marriage laws, therefore, ensure, albeit imperfectly, that the vast majority of couples who do get the benefits of marriage are those who bear children.
I may be mistaken, but I think he just said that the only reason we don't keep infertile couples from marrying is because it isn't practicable or convenient. In which case, I say: firstly, fuck you very much, Mr. Author.
Well, that certainly refutes his point well.
But secondly, I say the last sentence of the quote is ridiculous. He's saying, in effect, that marriage has purpose A, which is proven by the laws -- now it isn't practical to have any laws addressing the vast majority of instances of purpose A, but nonetheless, take my word for it, we see that purpose A is the purpose of marriage.
Actually he says the law does address the vast majority of A, A being having children, imperfectly yes, as many laws. I'm not sure how you get that he says it doesn't address having children. What it doesn't address are most of the exceptions.
Thirdly, I challenge his (unsupported by statistics) conclusions about the prevalence of non-procreating families. Here I posted links to statistics suggesting about 2.1 million infertile couples,
There are about 59MM households in the US, 90% married. Your number is 2.1MM. That would be about 4%. This seems to fit the description of a "small minority".
about another 6 million with "impaired" fertility,
Are these people incapable of having children? Probably not.
That doesn't even get into the incidences of people getting married past childbearing age or the percentage of married people without children ([/url=http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... i_79501204]Here[/url] is a reference to a study claiming about 6% childless by choice as of 1995).
Again, he says the law is imperfect, but it achieves its goal. And the exceptions you list do seem to be a "small minority".
Why do these people hate America?
Why do you have silly thoughts like this?
Anyway, the percentage of marrieds who cannot have children, or choose not to have children, is not insubstantial.
Define insubstantial - he used the term "small minority". The author says the law works imperfectly. The numbers as you have given seems to prove his point that these are small minorities of the total. All you seem to have done is prove his point about the numbers.
And the author's argument that it would be too hard to test fertility or willingness to procreate in advance of marriage is a transparent dodge.
Really? Are you prepared to demand fertility tests before marriage - and pay for them? Or do you plan to invent a mind reading machine - please let me know, I'd love to have one myself :)
It would be, pardon the pun, childishly easy to check on marriages after, say, two years, determine if the family has procreated, and remove the legally conferred benefits of marriage if they have done.
I didn't realize that two years is the magic cut off for having children. Did you determine that number scientifically. Maybe you have another link for us? :)
That's what we could do if procreation were the purpose of the legal benefits of marriage, and if it weren't, you know, completely fucking evil and un-American.
Sorry, I don't catch the meaning of this statement at all - it's too fucking evil and un-American and all that.
Some have compared the prohibition of homosexual marriage to the prohibition of interracial marriage. This analogy fails because fertility does not depend on race, making race irrelevant to the state’s interest in marriage. By contrast, homosexuality is highly relevant because it precludes procreation.
This, of course, predicates the rejection of the miscegenation analogy on the author's proposition that the law protects marriage to protect procreation. The rejection fails with that proposition.
Sorry, it seem to work perfectly to me. Exactly how does it fail?
In the 20th century, Western societies have downplayed the procreative aspect of marriage, much to our detriment. As a result, the happiness of the parties to the marriage, rather than the good of the children or the social order, has become its primary end, with disastrous consequences.
Fuckin' West and their concern with "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."
No, his problem is with the 20th century attitude towards the procreative aspect of marriage, not the Western tradition you mention above. You're trying to make him against the Western values you mention above but that argument fails if you read what he is saying. Good try, though.
When married persons care more about themselves than their responsibilities to their children and society, they become more willing to abandon these responsibilities, leading to broken homes, a plummeting birthrate, and countless other social pathologies that have become rampant over the last 40 years.
You know, I hear a lot about how divorce is wrecking society. Do we really have a scientific test of the alternatives? I mean, can we get two pools of kids -- one whose parents divorced, the other whose parents wanted to divorce but did not, and see who winds up the most screwed up? Do kids of divorce wind up any more screwed up than the kids of loveless and bitter unions, abusive relationships, etc.? Are there are lot of happy, stable, positive, nurturing marriages out there being lost to divorce?
I think the point is alot of these marriages could be saved. They don't have to be loveless, bitter unions. Your error is that you seem to think that there are only two choices - bitter, loveless marriage or divorce. Many marriage counselors would tell you otherwise, indeed many married couples who have struggled would tell you otherwise also.

I don't think that anyone would deny that divorce is bad for children.
And by the way:
a plummeting birthrate,
By which he must mean "among white people," because otherwise it is bullshit. Can someone explain to me, saying RunningMan69 in the mirror three times first if necessary, what is bad about birthrates plummeting today? Is your commute too short? Are we swollen with unused resources? Can't get a fourth for canasta? What?
I think he means among Western societies - which include many ethnic groups as we all know :) As for why it is bad, well, try to retire in a society where there is one person working for every one person retired and tell me how it goes. Controlled decreases aren't bad - but if it plummets too rapidly a society can face serious problems - such as those facing Japan. Do a search on "Japan and birth rates" and you'll see what the problems can be.
The biggest danger homosexual civil marriage presents is the enshrining into law the notion that sexual love, regardless of its fecundity, is the sole criterion for marriage. If the state must recognize a marriage of two men simply because they love one another, upon what basis can it deny marital recognition to a group of two men and three women, for example, or a sterile brother and sister who claim to love each other? Homosexual activists protest that they only want all couples treated equally. But why is sexual love between two people more worthy of state sanction than love between three, or five? When the purpose of marriage is procreation, the answer is obvious. If sexual love becomes the primary purpose, the restriction of marriage to couples loses its logical basis, leading to marital chaos.
Dogs and cats, living together!
Indeed!
As apparently I will have to keep saying until I bleed out the ears,
I think that is already happening . . .
the state has a neutral purpose unrelated to sexual morality for recognizing the difference between 3+ people and two people.
Yes, and I think the author would agree. You seem to think that he thinks that all prohibitions are related to procreation, but he doesn't say that. Again, he says up front that various marriage arrangements are prohibited by that state. He does not say that these are all prohibited due to the procreation issue. He justs sets that stage for his following argument with respect to homosexuals.
Plus, once again, the logic falls apart. What is the procreative interest in prohibiting group marriage?
Not once again. I agree, I'm not certain why he stated this here. He's already made clear that the state has various reasons for restricting marriage. He doesn't need to tie this to procreation.

Grifman
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Blackhawk wrote:Last time I heard, the state was there to protect the public's interests, not the other way around.
You're right and it's not in my interest to subsidize gay marriages.
Use public in place of state and we'll then be in agreement :)

Grifman
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

GungHo wrote:
Grifman wrote:Homosexual relationships do nothing to serve the state interest of propagating society, so there is no reason for the state to grant them the costly benefits of marriage, unless they serve some other state interest. The burden of proof, therefore, is on the advocates of gay marriage to show what state interest these marriages serve. Thus far, this burden has not been met.

Grifman
Hold up...so as a single guy, by knocking up my g/f (or some random chick) I'd be 'serving the state interest of propagating society'? Is that the right of it?
No, we're talking about marriage, not you, a single guy knocking up his girlfriend. I guess you didn't read the article or you wouldn't have made this error :)
C'mon Grifman, it doesnt take a 2 page Mr. Fed post to shread that silly argument(though he did a damn fine job of it..).
Actually he seems to have been confused by the article in some way at times, attributing arguments to the author that he didn't make. And other times he seemed to resort to mere "argument by outrage".

Grifman
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Padre wrote:This from the article (emphasis mine):
If the state must recognize a marriage of two men simply because they love one another, upon what basis can it deny marital recognition to a group of two men and three women, for example, or a sterile brother and sister who claim to love each other? Homosexual activists protest that they only want all couples treated equally. But why is sexual love between two people more worthy of state sanction than love between three, or five? When the purpose of marriage is procreation, the answer is obvious. If sexual love becomes the primary purpose, the restriction of marriage to couples loses its logical basis, leading to marital chaos.
Excuse me?

If procreation is the goal, why is it "obvious" we shold restrict marrriage to couples? Surely a polygamous marriage consisting of, say, one man and four women could both produce and care for a far greater number of children?

It doesn't seem obvious to me that a couple is the only possible procreative configuration, or even that couples are the best type...

So I think the author's rather shot himself in the foot here. His view of the purpose of marriage advances the case for polygamy, if anything.

Or am I missing something?
Yes, you are missing something. There are other reason for restricting the marriage. You and others seem to be confusing two separate issues. The author states that the primary purpose of marriage is procreation - but that doesn't mean that all restrictions on marriage relate to that reason. There are other reasons to restrict marriages not related to procreation - as your example above. But the primary purpose is procreation. One does not preclude the other.

Grifman
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

gbasden wrote: Wow. My wife and I have been trying for 9 years to have children. We're finally looking at adopting. Thanks for letting me know that our 14 year commitment to each other is a sham. I appreciate it.
Oh, please, cut out the silly argument by outrage. No one said your marriage commitment was a sham. You want to argue fine - then argue the points being made, don't make up some argument no one is making. We're talking about the interest society has in offering benefits to married couples, not the depth of their commitment. So get off your high horse.

Grifman
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

I guess I'm more than a little disgusted that you think it is amusing that I would be outraged that this person thinks the state has no interest in recognizing my marriage, and only refrains from restricting it because it would be impractical to do so, because my wife and I are not able to conceive.

Perhaps I'll wait to rebut you point by point untill I'm ready to do so with the civility the site deserves. I'm frankly not sure when that would be.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Al

Post by Al »

Grifman wrote:You're right and it's not in my interest to subsidize gay marriages.
And exactly how much would subsidizing same sex marriages cost the state?
geezer

Post by geezer »

Al wrote:
Grifman wrote:You're right and it's not in my interest to subsidize gay marriages.
And exactly how much would subsidizing same sex marriages cost the state...
...Particularly when one considers that the alternative to same-sex marraige -- *opposite* sex marraige - would incur EXACTLY the same (if not more) strain on the state (i.e. the people) and employers through subsidies for children (education tax credits, health insurance etc.).
Spock's Brain

Post by Spock's Brain »

Grifman wrote:
In a sense, a married couple receives a subsidy. Why? Because a marriage between two unrelated heterosexuals is likely to result in a family with children, and propagation of society is a compelling state interest. For this reason, states have, in varying degrees, restricted from marriage couples unlikely to produce children.
For that proposition, the author cites only a few examples:

Actually, you seem to be confused. The examples he cites BELOW come BEFORE the part of the article you quote above. These examples are in support of his opening statement that marriage is not a universal right. They have nothing to do with the part you quote above.
The problem is that the author's examples don't support his assertion that "states have, in varying degrees, restricted from marriage couples unlikely to produce children." Rather, they seem to be (with the exception of sterile close relatives) restricting marriages in which the production of children might be undesirable. Furthermore, he gives a poor defense of his opening argument, that marriage is not a universal right. The only defense he appears to offer is that the state doesn't allow all consenting adults to marry. We generally consider free expression to be a universal right, and yet there many instances in which the state has a compelling interest to curtail some forms of speech. Were we mistaken in our claim to that particular right?

We should also remember that same-sex couples can produce children, albeit not with one another, and they can always adopt. To be fair, the author does try to address whether lesbian couples can make suitable parents. Unfortunately, he's reduced mainly to handwaving. The one source he does cite, David Popenoe's non peer reviewed book Life Without Father?, seems to be mainly an indictment of single motherhood. I hope we can agree at the very least that in many instances two parents, especially those screened to the extent required for adoption, are better than one. ;)
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Grifman wrote:
gbasden wrote: Wow. My wife and I have been trying for 9 years to have children. We're finally looking at adopting. Thanks for letting me know that our 14 year commitment to each other is a sham. I appreciate it.
Oh, please, cut out the silly argument by outrage. No one said your marriage commitment was a sham. You want to argue fine - then argue the points being made, don't make up some argument no one is making. We're talking about the interest society has in offering benefits to married couples, not the depth of their commitment. So get off your high horse.

Grifman
Gosh, ok. You were the one who's argument is predicated on the concept that only families that produce offspring are worthy of being married. Somehow, after 9 years of spending huge amounts of money and going thoruh 3 miscarriages, the subject is a bit touchy for me. I'll try to contain my outrage to salve your sensibilities. If my wife and I are unable to have children, what should be the legal outcome for us in Grifman world?

Besides, many of the benefits given by the state for marriage have no ties to procreating. In fact, the only thing I can think of is the income tax deduction for dependants. If we measure the intent of the state based on the benefits it grants to married couples( what, over 1000 at last count?), it seems pretty counterintuitive to say that reproduction is the end all marriage goal of the state.

EDIT: Rewritten for civility.
Quaro

Post by Quaro »

Ironic stat: The raging atheists in MA have the lowest divorce rate in the nation.