Warlords III: Darklords Rising just released...

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Zenn7

Re: Warlords III: Darklords Rising just released...

Post by Zenn7 »

If you have explored that area on the map, I can see the ruins/sites I have to go to. If not, I usually can't see them. Same for cities if you have to visit/occupy a specific one.

Probably visible on there, I just can't see it on that little map (using 800x600, think that works better - between that and the other changes recommended in setup earlier in this thread, I think I've only crashed once or twice in a full game of over 100 turns).
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

@Zenn7: the file you sent me didn’t seem to contain the actual save file; it was just a 1 kB text file. Can you resend? Thanks.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

:doh: Zipped the instructions for sending the turn, not the actual game turn file.

You have the right file now.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

A couple questions:

(1) I thought I remembered someone saying before the game that there's a way to assess your combat probability before you initiate combat? Something like a "you are doomed" vs. "this is 50/50" vs. "you got this in the bag" - is there something like that?

(2) Is there handy list of units linked to anywhere? Any easy way to tell "that is X unit, it has Y attack and Z defense"

(3) What does it mean to be 'popular'? I razed a farm / field with a wandering unit, and before I did the game warned me "You will be unpopular" - consequences?
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:48 am A couple questions:

(1) I thought I remembered someone saying before the game that there's a way to assess your combat probability before you initiate combat? Something like a "you are doomed" vs. "this is 50/50" vs. "you got this in the bag" - is there something like that?

(2) Is there handy list of units linked to anywhere? Any easy way to tell "that is X unit, it has Y attack and Z defense"

(3) What does it mean to be 'popular'? I razed a farm / field with a wandering unit, and before I did the game warned me "You will be unpopular" - consequences?
1. Hold shift down while clicking on an adjacent stack - instead of attacking you will see X in 10 times you will win (or always/never). Bear in mind winning means literally, you will survive, not necessarily kick butt. You may only have a single unit left.

2. You can click on your own units. There's an appendix that lists units and what their base stats are (this won't include modifiers for things like city defense and other units). Don't know of anything in game. Not sure the graphics for the units are in the appendix either.

3. You evil bastage! As far as I know, popularity only matters when there are AI players. You have relationships with them from trust to hatred. Razing things will universally lower their opinion of you. Lower their opinion, more likely they will declare war on you. You're playing with your OO friends though, we don't care what you raze, we all wanted you dead before you razed it! :p
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Turn 5 sent to Ralph.

Starting to find cities, now wondering where all of you are and who's going to screw me up. :)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Found (and pillaged) my first city. Finally getting a few things rolling.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:01 am Found (and pillaged) my first city. Finally getting a few things rolling.
OUCH!

Build a bat or two for scouting so you can find stuff faster.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

You can also open your stack dialog and it will show all of your stack modifiers.

There's also a sides report where you can see the armies each side has, and by right clicking on the units, see their base stats and modifiers.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Zenn7 wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:01 am Found (and pillaged) my first city. Finally getting a few things rolling.
OUCH!

Build a bat or two for scouting so you can find stuff faster.
Had a couple of rats and some dog (horse?) things flying around, but the city was in the one direction I hadn’t explored. /doh
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Guessing the dog/horse was a Nightmare, or maybe a Pegasus.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Keep your nasty bats off my lawn! :evil:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:13 am Keep your nasty bats off my lawn! :evil:
They're just trying to fertilize your lawn.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:13 am Keep your nasty bats off my lawn! :evil:
Those damn things are everywhere. At least my extermination crews have helped a little.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

t6 sent to nick

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Is there a way to click on a destination to tell whether you can make it in one turn, without actually moving your unit(s)?
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:09 pm Is there a way to click on a destination to tell whether you can make it in one turn, without actually moving your unit(s)?
Or better yet, an undo move?
I understand why there might not be, you could abuse it to reveal fog of war. I just don't like accidentally moving my guys out of the forts when trying to select a different unit.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Rt click to see move, red is this turn., or maybe left click and hold. Can't remember.

There is an undo move button, but it is either disabled for hidden map /fog of war games, it only works if you didn't expose anything new.

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Ok, I'll look in the manual and see if I can figure out which button is undo. Sounds like I could have used it in at least one specific instance.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I do not recall an undo option nor could I find one in the manual, please sure if you find it!

Control will show you how far you can move without actually moving.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

You all can leave me alone now. Archinerd (of the middle east) took my only "precious". :cry:
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Dave Allen wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:41 pm You all can leave me alone now. Archinerd (of the middle east) took my only "precious". :cry:
But... but... I haven't even found you, let alone touched you. :p
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

t7 off to nick!

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Man, passing turns around via email really brings me back. Anyone remember email X-Com or laser squad nemesis?

Also, are we playing on the same map, or is it just big enough that we don't encounter each other right away?
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Same map. Just big enough we do not necessarily encounter each other right away, but it sounds like a few of us have met (Dave's saying we can stop beating on him now, Guap's lost undefended city, my scouts have met just met someone else's scout - probably should have killed him but decided not to).
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's only now really dawning on me how big this map is. I've had a few player interactions like you've mentioned, but otherwise it's been fairly limited so far.

Also - when do new units get built? E.g., for a unit with "1t" unil being built, does it get placed in my city: (1) at the end of my turn (e.g., are they in the turn file that I send to Zenn7); (2) at the end of everyone's turn; OR (3) at the start of my next turn?
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

NickAragua wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:23 pm Man, passing turns around via email really brings me back. Anyone remember email X-Com or laser squad nemesis?

Also, are we playing on the same map, or is it just big enough that we don't encounter each other right away?
Laser squad nemesis was (is?) one of my all time favorites.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

El Guapo wrote:
Also - when do new units get built? E.g., for a unit with "1t" unil being built, does it get placed in my city: (1) at the end of my turn (e.g., are they in the turn file that I send to Zenn7); (2) at the end of everyone's turn; OR (3) at the start of my next turn?
If it’s like Warlords 2, units don’t exist until the beginning of the turn.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:03 am
El Guapo wrote:
If it’s like Warlords 2, units don’t exist until the beginning of the turn.
Beginning of your turn. So the 1t production units will not provide a defender for your newly captured city before anyone can take it right after you took it.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Turn 7 sent to Ralph-Wiggum.

Found cities, made an ally (for humans, not sure that means much, for AI, less likely to want to attack you and more hate penalties from the other nations for the one who breaks the alliance).

So someone gets to see where I'm at and what I'm up to. RATS... :)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Does one's capital city (your starting city) have any particular importance beyond starting with full production capacity? Losing it would clearly suck insofar as that production would very likely get pillaged, but curious how important it is beyond that.
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:13 am Does one's capital city (your starting city) have any particular importance beyond starting with full production capacity? Losing it would clearly suck insofar as that production would very likely get pillaged, but curious how important it is beyond that.
Full production (this is very valuable, don't underestimate this), being a full castle to start with (better defense, allows for the average and hard quests, which you don't want to start with), not sure if it gets better income.

Other than that, no significance unless you're playing a special victory mode (king of the hill I think is where capturing capitals is the victory condition).
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Archinerd, when you defeated my hero (losing 2 out of 3 blessed, stone golems in the process) you left my hero's "capture the flag " item behind.
See the sword in the village? It's easy to miss.

Fortunately, I have a new hero who scooped it up in the re-taken fort. :D
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Can someone again explain how to gauge enemy troop strength before attacking? Couldn’t figure it out again a neutral city and got my butt whooped when I tried to attack. /doh
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:40 pm Can someone again explain how to gauge enemy troop strength before attacking? Couldn’t figure it out again a neutral city and got my butt whooped when I tried to attack. /doh
Hold shift and click - it will tell you the odds. If you aren't careful with holding shift, you will just attack.

9/10 still means you will lose 1/10. And those odds don't always seem highly accurate. And winning just means you will have at least 1 unit left. Might lose everyone else. But that's the gauge.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zenn7 wrote:
El Guapo wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:13 am Does one's capital city (your starting city) have any particular importance beyond starting with full production capacity? Losing it would clearly suck insofar as that production would very likely get pillaged, but curious how important it is beyond that.
Full production (this is very valuable, don't underestimate this), being a full castle to start with (better defense, allows for the average and hard quests, which you don't want to start with), not sure if it gets better income.

Other than that, no significance unless you're playing a special victory mode (king of the hill I think is where capturing capitals is the victory condition).
Also, castles are the only cities with level 3 quests.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

t8 off to nick!

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Dave Allen wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:13 pm Archinerd, when you defeated my hero (losing 2 out of 3 blessed, stone golems in the process) you left my hero's "capture the flag " item behind.
See the sword in the village? It's easy to miss.

Fortunately, I have a new hero who scooped it up in the re-taken fort. :D
I saw the sword but could not figure out what that meant. :)
For some reason, I thought all capture the flag items were gems, because that's what I have.

Even with the sword, I'm pretty sure I couldn't have defended it anyway.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

First I complain about not seeing other players, now I both find another player's unit and see another player's castle after finding a sage that let me take a look at his maps.

FYI, that warrior explorer unit that's got a lake to the north may consider taking a hike back to where it came from. Just saying.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Turn 8 sent to Ralph-Wigguns.