BioShock Infinite - from Irrational

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sepiche

Re: BioShock Infinite - from Irrational

Post by Sepiche »

So Burial at Sea is out now, anyone tried it yet? I'm knee deep in a new XCom game or else I probably would have given it a shot last night. :P
RMC

Post by RMC »

Sepiche wrote:So Burial at Sea is out now, anyone tried it yet? I'm knee deep in a new XCom game or else I probably would have given it a shot last night. :P
Same here. And same question.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I own it apparently... I must have bought the season pass or something. However, currently playing Xcom so it will have to wait
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I’ve heard it’s decent but only about 2-3 hours long for the $15. Dishonored, a game I liked a whole lot better released 8 hours expansions for $10, so I just can’t justify the purchase. With the Steam holiday sale just around the corner I’m sure I’ll be able to pick it up then for half the price.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

This is just part one of the Burial at Sea DLC, so don't judge the whole thing by this. The first part actually has a good beginning, middle, and end, which makes me very curious as to where the next part is going.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Just finished the game. I have to ask though, there are a few trailers with scenes that I simply don't remember seeing in the game itself. Like one where the girl has a noose around her neck and another one at a bridge. Anyone notice these or did I just forget having seen them?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Gavin wrote:Just finished the game. I have to ask though, there are a few trailers with scenes that I simply don't remember seeing in the game itself. Like one where the girl has a noose around her neck and another one at a bridge. Anyone notice these or did I just forget having seen them?
I know the hanging scene is not in the game. It was created just for trailers (or was cut out from the final release or is in future DLC).

Not sure about the bridge.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Gavin wrote:Just finished the game. I have to ask though, there are a few trailers with scenes that I simply don't remember seeing in the game itself. Like one where the girl has a noose around her neck and another one at a bridge. Anyone notice these or did I just forget having seen them?
I know the hanging scene is not in the game. It was created just for trailers (or was cut out from the final release or is in future DLC).

Not sure about the bridge.
Ok, I was wondering. The hanging scene was the biggest question mark for me.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but Irrational just announced 1998 mode is coming on 3/25. What's that?
Today, in conjunction with the upcoming DLC, BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea – Episode Two releasing March 25th, we’re revealing the brand new 1998 Mode, which challenges gamers to complete the narrative using only non-lethal tools. This mode will be in addition to existing difficulty modes, and the aforementioned 1999 Mode.
Note the artwork included with the announcement. Us old-timers are probably the only ones that get the reference. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RMC

Post by RMC »

Well got the DLC for part two(I bought the pass a while back), and started to play the game.

I hate it.. I play a FPS for the shooting part, not the walking up behind the guys and hit them over the head. I don't mind a little stealth, but I dislike when it seems like that is the focus. And the story...gah... I think they try too hard to be 'smart'...

I'll finish it, but if they were still around I would not buy anything until it went on sale. Also, Ken Levine is now in my prove to me it is good prior to buying anything made by him.

<shrug> I can tell by the brisk discussion that everyone loves this game. ;)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

There's probably just a lot of stuff coming out lately.

I'm okay with stealth and such. If you want to fight, use a combination of stealth and headshots. To make stealth super easy, find the two upgrades for the the Peek plasmid.

I just finished part 2 and while I think the DLC is overall very good, I do have problems with the finale.
Spoiler:
I didn't like Elizabeth dying at the end, only because it's just pointless and cyclic. And I feel like it's Levine's last FU to 2K, Irrational, and his fans when he decided to go that route. Sure, there was that whole family cyclic thing going on, but it's handled with the poor level that the Wachowski Bros are known for. It's like he just didn't want the characters reused for sequels after he left, then just dismantled the studio just to be sure.

I really dislike how the end focused too much on Bioshock 1's main character, and didn't include anything between Booker and Liz.

That said, they did do a lot of nice filling in of small plot elements. They even made Daisy a more relatable character instead of just another crazy, murder everyone that gets in her way leader. Some people didn't like how it retcons her character, but I like how it added depth to the character that I thought was banal in the base game.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Turtle wrote:There's probably just a lot of stuff coming out lately.

I'm okay with stealth and such. If you want to fight, use a combination of stealth and headshots. To make stealth super easy, find the two upgrades for the the Peek plasmid.

I just finished part 2 and while I think the DLC is overall very good, I do have problems with the finale.
Spoiler:
I didn't like Elizabeth dying at the end, only because it's just pointless and cyclic. And I feel like it's Levine's last FU to 2K, Irrational, and his fans when he decided to go that route. Sure, there was that whole family cyclic thing going on, but it's handled with the poor level that the Wachowski Bros are known for. It's like he just didn't want the characters reused for sequels after he left, then just dismantled the studio just to be sure.

I really dislike how the end focused too much on Bioshock 1's main character, and didn't include anything between Booker and Liz.

That said, they did do a lot of nice filling in of small plot elements. They even made Daisy a more relatable character instead of just another crazy, murder everyone that gets in her way leader. Some people didn't like how it retcons her character, but I like how it added depth to the character that I thought was banal in the base game.
Very good observations, and I guess I agree with everything you just said.

I hated the ending, and just powered through the content to see the ending, and delete the game from my hard drive.

I am not going to buy anything with Ken Levine's name on it, or at least until I forget everything I hated about Bioshock. :)

But I guess, I bought and finished all the games, so as much as I look back and see how much I disliked the stories as a whole, I did like them all up to a point.
telcta

Post by telcta »

I can count on one hand the number of games I actually got to the end, this is one of them. I was going to start the first DLC Burial at Sea but it was suggested that I play the original Bioshock to get the most out of it. So, now I'm playing Bioshock which, you guessed it, I never completed. I want to fire up Burial soon and I hope it's more of the same gameplay of Infinite. I can now go back and re-read this thread to see what all the excitement was about.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

I finally finished the Burial at Sea DLCs. I had tried them years ago, but was turned off by the really slow start of Episode 1 where you search several shops for a party invitation.

Although Episode 1 had visual splendor, I didn't enjoy playing it. The difficulty was too much for me, and the money penalty for dying prevented me from acquiring many upgrades (making the game even more difficult). The combat wasn't fun, and adding Sky-Lines in an interior area just didn't work at all. Fortunately, Episode 1 was short.

Episode 2 was much better and longer. The first area was so idyllic, I didn't want to leave. Once I did leave, the gameplay focused on stealth instead of gunplay. It didn't quite work as a stealth game. Enemies were too sensitive to movement and noise, and it was hard to tell where they were because they always sounded as if they were nearby. But the weapons and plasmids eventually made stealth more viable and even fun. The special loot stashed behind 5-lockpick doors was especially worth getting.

I didn't understand much of the story while I was playing, so I looked up interpretations of it. In some ways, the story is a clever reinforcement of the themes of Bioshock, and the finale is kinda mindblowing. But in other ways, it's too self-indulgent and "clever" for its own good, making the previous games' plots even more farfetched and nonsensical.

Overall, Burial at Sea ain't bad.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:44 pm Late to the party
Hold my beer...
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:03 pm I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but Irrational just announced 1998 mode is coming on 3/25. What's that?
Today, in conjunction with the upcoming DLC, BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea – Episode Two releasing March 25th, we’re revealing the brand new 1998 Mode, which challenges gamers to complete the narrative using only non-lethal tools. This mode will be in addition to existing difficulty modes, and the aforementioned 1999 Mode.
Note the artwork included with the announcement. Us old-timers are probably the only ones that get the reference. :wink:
Ha, even the shape of the box.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

After playing all of the way up to the final battle 3 times and quitting out of frustration 3 times, I just played through the entire game again, being very careful to try and grab every type of boost I could. I finally beat the bastard last night with judicial uses of Shock Jockey traps (first time it occurred to me to try that.) Great game, ending lived up to all of my expectations.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hentzau wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:34 pm After playing all of the way up to the final battle 3 times and quitting out of frustration 3 times, I just played through the entire game again, being very careful to try and grab every type of boost I could. I finally beat the bastard last night with judicial uses of Shock Jockey traps (first time it occurred to me to try that.) Great game, ending lived up to all of my expectations.
That's some colossal persistence.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:36 pm
hentzau wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:34 pm After playing all of the way up to the final battle 3 times and quitting out of frustration 3 times, I just played through the entire game again, being very careful to try and grab every type of boost I could. I finally beat the bastard last night with judicial uses of Shock Jockey traps (first time it occurred to me to try that.) Great game, ending lived up to all of my expectations.
That's some colossal persistence.
Yeah, I just got a hankering a couple of week ago to give it another try. Glad I did.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
malchior

Post by malchior »

Very, very, very late to the party. I've been working through my backlog and this was my 'highest rated' Unfinished game. I liked it and agree with assessments I just read in this thread that the story was the best aspect. In fact, I found the combat dull and uninspired. I didn't feel any compelling reason to play with all the different vigors, etc. Still good story and good conclusion to the series. I'm glad I finally got to it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im at the end of this again. I dont think after 8 years im spoiling anything by saying that even though Songbird was a pain in my ass through the game that I found his death sad. I mean really sad. Both this play through and my first in 2013. Its just a bot but he conveys so much feeling and emotion with his movements and in his eyes and sound. Even the way he turns his head when he sees Elizabeth. His death just saddens me. Can feel the fright and confusion. The animators did a marvelous job with him. Sigh.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"