The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

Post by Daehawk »

Concerning the ending...
Spoiler:
I did everything right to get the ending where Ciri becomes Empress but instead got the ending where she becomes a Witcher with me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:35 pm
hentzau wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:24 pm Anyone play this on a console? I don't do much PC gaming these days, and I'm looking for something to try out with my new TV and Xbox One X.
I’m playing through it a second time on PS4. Other han the crappy loading times, it’s fantastic. There are very few western RPGs that can compare.

I’m just hoping I can avoid the super-uber-hyper-awful sucky ending I got last time. Looking forward to the expansions as well, as I haven’t touched any of those yet.
i wound up with the "Ciri witcher" ending, which was good, but after I looked up the details afterwards I realized I came pretty close (possibly within a single choice or so) of getting the sucky ending. A lot of the choices that matter a lot are not obvious at all. So I'd go ahead and look up the relevant choices and make those to get the ending you want.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe if you weren't so focused on that hussy Triss, you would have been able to help Ciri fully realize her potential.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:24 am Maybe if you weren't so focused on that hussy Triss, you would have been able to help Ciri fully realize her potential.
Spoiler:
Apparently before attacking the general at the end I was supposed to talk Ciri to talk to the Emperor. I do recall her suggesting that, but I was like, "hey, maybe right *after* we deal with the murderous inter-dimensional general. Little did I know that that dialogue choice was literally the only chance to talk to the Emperor about his daughter, even though you can stop by the imperial palace anytime.
Also:
Spoiler:
Yennifer is the worst.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Same on both counts.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:53 pm
Spoiler:
Yennifer is the worst.
Yeah, but...unicorns!

This is the ending I got. Completely soured me on the overall experience, tbh. Partly because I was (apparently) a shitty father, but also because it seems like the intent of what is presented as your dialog option doesn't really match what is actually said. There were a bunch of times I'd select something, then the way Geralt said it came out completely different than what I was expecting.

Hoping I get a better resolution this time around. I'm already making progress, as I
Spoiler:
managed to not slice Kiera in half a mere 3 hours after bumping uglies with her. That's an improvement from my last playthrough. :)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

All this talk of shitty endings has me concerned now. Not sure I want to dump 100+ hours into a game where I may be disappointed in the ending because I took a bad dialog option at some point...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

You're not going to make any ending-affecting decisions until after... without too much in the way of spoilers, there's going to be a huge brawl at Caer Morhen. After that, you should watch what you say to Ciri and what you do with her around. I would honestly look up a guide.

If you don't want to, I think the idea is to encourage her to be independent and support her decisions, even if they seem like they're dumb.

The "bad" ending is depressing as all hell, but it's still good writing. You're just going to be sad afterwards.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:42 pm You're not going to make any ending-affecting decisions until after... without too much in the way of spoilers, there's going to be a huge brawl at Caer Morhen. After that, you should watch what you say to Ciri and what you do with her around. I would honestly look up a guide.

If you don't want to, I think the idea is to encourage her to be independent and support her decisions, even if they seem like they're dumb.

The "bad" ending is depressing as all hell, but it's still good writing. You're just going to be sad afterwards.
Yeah, this is pretty much the case.

And Nick's not kidding about "even if they seem like they're dumb." If it's very important to you to avoid the depressing ending, you really should look up a guide, because the relevant decisions are not at all intuitive. Even the ones I got right, when I read the ending guide afterwards, I was like "huh, I really wouldn't have thought *that* was important."
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Why didn't anyone tell me there was an 832 page strategy guide for this game? I'm going to read it like it's my job.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hear lots of good..well in fact only good thing...about both W3 addons especially the Blood & Wine one. Looking forward to those sometime.
Quitch

Post by Quitch »

hentzau wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:31 pm All this talk of shitty endings has me concerned now. Not sure I want to dump 100+ hours into a game where I may be disappointed in the ending because I took a bad dialog option at some point...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
People are confusing sad endings for disappointing endings. All the endings are excellent.
Brian

Post by Brian »

So I'm at level 25 and starting to get a bit of burn out on this game so I made the decision to stick as much as I can to completing the main story quests. With that in mind I looked up a walkthrough to see just how close I am to completing the game and discover that, not only am I still in Act 2, I'm actually barely into Act 2.

Hell, I've already been to every region and have visited most of the ?'s, treasure spots, and towns in Velen, Toussaint, and Velen/Novigrad. I stopped hitting every spot on the map when I got to Skellige and decided to pursue the main quest.

So, it seems I've still got quite a bit of gaming ahead of me. I hope I don't burn out completely before reaching the end.

Also, Yennifer is a bitch.
Spoiler:
I never played the first two so have no real connection to her and it bothered me not a bit to break her heart when the Djinn's spell was removed.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I still need to go back and do the two dlcs. Considering that's like a full game in itself I just haven't found the time to do it. It's so much easier for me to just drop into PUBG which requires me to remember nothing from the previous time I played. :lol: I think it's mentally broken me.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Brian wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:23 pmAlso, Yennifer is a bitch.
:(

Sometimes I think I'm the only person that really understands Geralt. :D

I've decided that this summer I will finish the two DLC campaigns. I can't keep pretending the story doesn't end. It's time.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

#TeamTriss4Eva
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I picked Yenn. Triss needs to grow up! :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I finished up the final DLC a few months ago and I apparently picked NEITHER of the love interests. So I guess I'm settling down with Roach.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Neigh means nay.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Was Yenn even in the first two? I don’t remember her.

But really Triss is the best choice.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

She's not in the first game, no. But she's mentioned a bit and referenced as part of the unfolding story. She's in flashbacks as part of the second game, as the story is unfolding and Geralt is figuring out what happened. They set up the third game (and what likely happened to her) at the end of the second game.
How ravishing she is, he thought. Everything about her is ravishing. And menacing. Those colours of hers; that contrast of black and white. Beauty and menace. Her raven-black, natural curls. Her cheekbones, pronounced, emphasising a wrinkle, which her smile – if she deigned to smile – created beside her mouth, wonderfully narrow and pale beneath her lipstick. Her eyebrows, wonderfully irregular, when she washed off the kohl that outlined them during the day. Her nose, exquisitely too long. Her delicate hands, wonderfully nervous, restless and adroit. Her waist, willowy and slender, emphasised by an excessively tightened belt. Slim legs, setting in motion the flowing shapes of her black skirt. Ravishing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yenn was a bitch so I stuck with Triss of course...redhead.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:57 pm Neigh means nay.
:lol:

I see what you did there. :ninja:
Covfefe!
Quitch

Post by Quitch »

Brian wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:23 pm Hell, I've already been to every region and have visited most of the ?'s
That's why you're getting burned out. Ignore them. Turn them off on the map. Think of them as something to add life to the world, not something you should go out of your way to find. There's more than enough content without them, and it's all really good content.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Screw it PUBG is patching and I need to do something else. I'm loading this up pronto.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Played through a few quests yesterday and remembered why I didn't play it that much during the day. Boat scene cough... :oops:

Brian

Post by Brian »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:59 pm
Brian wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:23 pmAlso, Yennifer is a bitch.
:(

Sometimes I think I'm the only person that really understands Geralt. :D
That he's a masochist?

Yenn is vicious, temperamental, and clearly considers most other people as tools for her use or completely inconsequential if she thinks about them at all, invades Geralt's mind constantly, tells him nothing, considers the idea of leaving Geralt with any choice in any number of potentially fatal matters that she forces upon him quaint, unapologetically uses him for her own plots, and is generally far more take than give.

Yeah, pass.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well...I mean...that's one way to describe her, sure.

Maybe it's because she's over a hundred years old and she doesn't have patience for short timers anymore? No one would accuse her of not just getting down to business, I'll give you that. She's definitely someone that could come across as cold and manipulative, but I do believe she's the true love of Geralt. Not that fickle distraction, Triss.

I've said it before Yenn is Geralt's equal. Triss is not.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No not the true love...it was a spell.

Triss loved Gerald...though its true she did use him in the beginning.....but all other stuff aside she is a redhead. Decision made.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yenn would burn the world down in order to help Geralt and Ciri. Triss actually cares about helping people that she doesn't know personally.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone see the 10th Ann video below? Ive never seen it until now and it seems to have been released last year.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like I played the heck out of this in 2017 then went back and finished it Feb last year 2018. Sometime during the year Donna purchased the addons for me when they went on sale. I think I got both for a total of $12. Blood & Wine and Hearts of Stone. Bless her. I didn't get around to them last year. Now that Donna passed away getting myself to play them will be very hard. But she got them for me to play and enjoy. Ill try to keep that in mind when I feel I can play them. Both are supposed to be very good addons especially Blood & Wine.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

In retrospect, HoS probably fits better during the game (either after the brothers in arms quests or before final preparations), just because it’s a Witcher contract that has you traveling across the Velen map. And there is dialogue in the quests to support that notion. Not that there’s anything wrong with playing it after, the world just feels a little weird when you run around it after the ending.

Blood and Wine is basically Witcher 4.

Both are incredible add-ons, and Hearts of Stone may be better. It definitely has the better story. Play both! Just make sure B&W comes last.

I’m replaying the whole damn game because I want to see HoS in the middle rather than after. And because I miss the characters & world.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Both are excellent add-ons. Blood and Wine has a good story, but it really shines in it’s setting which is just so bright and fairy-talesque, which contrasts nicely with the darkness of the plot. Hearts of Stone has one of the best tales of loss and redemption I’ve ever played in a video game, and could make a good Witcher novel if fleshed out a bit. As Inverarity wrote, B&W is really meant for after the main plot ends, as a sort of farewell to Geralt and the world of the Witcher overall.

ETA - Maybe redemption is the wrong word, in regards to Hearts of Stone’s story. Played a certain way (I would say it’s probably the way that the devs would want people to play it), the story at least allows for the possibility for a character to find a new way forward. Whether that’s redemption or not is up to one’s interpretation, I suppose.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was surprised to find that Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey incorporate quite a bit of Witcher 3 style gameplay. So much so that even though I just finished Origins, I immediately jumped into Odyssey.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Donna used the last of December's money to buy me AC Odyssey on Dec 24. I loved it and played the heck out of it. Left the first area and was in a new area 4 days later when she had the stroke. Ive not touched it since. I know she got it for me to enjoy but cant do it yet. One day maybe. Just cant say. It was a fun game though.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Hearts of Stone, of course, also has one of the most obnoxious boss fights in Witcher 3. You know what I'm talking about, with the circle of eight dudes.

Nothing compares to that cheapskate Kayron fight in Witcher 2, of course, or the first fight against Leto. But it's up there.

I miss Geralt and crew, but I don't think I can go back there right now, or any time soon. The way the game ended for me was pretty... depressing. The ending of Blood and Wine only made it a little better. At the end, I think Geralt is pretty comfortable on that bench. He's earned a break from running around and collecting crisp basilisk urethras while dealing with the most scummy people imaginable.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GOTY - $15 at Steam
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just as a data point and to show the impact of the TV series:

Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Excellent to read; every gamer who craves a virtual world to disappear into owes it to themselves to play that game.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg