The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm part of that bump. I have started the game three times, but never got far before letting myself get bogged down in sidequests and giving up. I need to research a better approach, but I'm starting again with a save right after the starting zone.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I too have reinstalled the game after watching the series. Did not come close to finishing it and IF I ever actually start playing it again, I'll be starting over from scratch.
-mf
morlac

Post by morlac »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:00 am I'm part of that bump. I have started the game three times, but never got far before letting myself get bogged down in sidequests and giving up. I need to research a better approach, but I'm starting again with a save right after the starting zone.
This is pretty much me. Advice i was given was to turn of the quest markers on the map and just let the quest come to you naturally as you explore. I have not tried this as of yet but one day!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, I'm part of the spike for the first game! :snooty:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thought about replaying the first one.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I've been playing the second one, for the first time.
Black Lives Matter.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The first game is pretty rough and can leave you lost in several places unless you know what to look for. And I hated the combat in that game. I feel it's one of the few examples where the difficulty curve in the beginning can really catch you out if you aren't careful. I found it much easier by the middle.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Rumpy wrote:The first game is pretty rough and can leave you lost in several places unless you know what to look for. And I hated the combat in that game. I feel it's one of the few examples where the difficulty curve in the beginning can really catch you out if you aren't careful. I found it much easier by the middle.
The first area took a while to finish too.

I actually liked the timing based combat.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My first attempt at game 1 was one night of play. I made it to the first town, but never out of it. This time, I've actually made it around and finished a bunch of missions in the surrounding countryside. Unfortunately, the barmaid didn't survive the walk back to Gran's house.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Heh, that village is one of those things where the more you find out, the worse it gets. By the end of it, I kind of wanted to run every one of those dirty peasants through.

No, really, it's a spoiler:
Spoiler:
Which I did, although technically they attacked me first. But between all the incest, rape, murder going on in that village and them wanting to kill that relatively harmless "herbalist lady", I didn't really feel too bad about it.
Anyway, long story short, that's how I wound up in prison in the second chapter.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:12 pm
Rumpy wrote:The first game is pretty rough and can leave you lost in several places unless you know what to look for. And I hated the combat in that game. I feel it's one of the few examples where the difficulty curve in the beginning can really catch you out if you aren't careful. I found it much easier by the middle.
The first area took a while to finish too.

I actually liked the timing based combat.
Of course, it doesn't help that the quest log was very ambiguous at times. I often ended up scratching my head wondering what I should be doing. And I think a lot of it was due to translation errors.

The combat, well... At the time I started playing it, I didn't have a computer that was up to snuff, which made combat way more frustrating than it needed to be and of course it didn't give me a good first impression. I gave up on that playthrough at the swamp and started fresh again when I had a better processor and video card. It's still a very confusing game at times. I didn't even complete it as by the time I was at the end-boss, I had missed a crucial bit of information related to potion making that I needed to help beat him, and I feel it's because of both its confusing quest log and open-ended nature of the skill system leading me to believe the skill in question was completely optional.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was only slightly put off by the combat in the beginning. It was weird and a tad difficult at the start. Not near as bad as Gothic was but worse than anything other than that. Once I learned it though the game was great. I did get slow downs in the swamp around fire and torches.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:07 pm I was only slightly put off by the combat in the beginning. It was weird and a tad difficult at the start. Not near as bad as Gothic was but worse than anything other than that. Once I learned it though the game was great. I did get slow downs in the swamp around fire and torches.
For me, the game only got easier once I got better and improved skills. The thing I found quite difficult, especially in the beginning were the enemies ganging up on you and interrupting your attacks. It's very easy to get overwhelmed in that game, which can quickly lead to death.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Trink

Post by Trink »

I never played the first two and I uninstalled 3 twice but I am giving it another go.

I find the combat to be a bit not scaling properly. the amount of stuff to pick up and carry is a bit ridiculous. the first fight with the griffon was what caused me to not want to play. Now between sidequests and seeing that some of the stuff i cant do till level 33 is a bit odd. especially since leveling seems to be taking me forever, I am currently stuck on a level 7 quests on Fyke island that I cannot seem to win.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:17 am
Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:07 pm I was only slightly put off by the combat in the beginning. It was weird and a tad difficult at the start. Not near as bad as Gothic was but worse than anything other than that. Once I learned it though the game was great. I did get slow downs in the swamp around fire and torches.
For me, the game only got easier once I got better and improved skills. The thing I found quite difficult, especially in the beginning were the enemies ganging up on you and interrupting your attacks. It's very easy to get overwhelmed in that game, which can quickly lead to death.
That only got worse in 2. Fighting multiple guys really hampered my fun at the start area.

In 1 I thought Id never get past that big ghost dog fight. The first real monster fight.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:00 am
Rumpy wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:17 am
That only got worse in 2. Fighting multiple guys really hampered my fun at the start area.

In 1 I thought Id never get past that big ghost dog fight. The first real monster fight.
I actually felt the combat in the second one was much easier as it was more of a free-flowing type of combat rather than rhythm-based like the first one. I felt like I could actually dodge properly and anticipate what was coming. Made me feel like I could actually do my job as a Witcher better ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
disarm

Post by disarm »

I'm waking up a forgotten thread about a 5-year old game, but I have to offer my thoughts, even if it's all been said before...

I started The Witcher 3 sometime around the beginning of the year, and finally finished the main story tonight after spending just over 94 hours immersed in its world. The game is an absolute masterpiece in world development and storytelling. Even though I spent nearly 100 hours in the game, I never felt that it dragged at any point or had me doing things without reason. I completed every non-Gwent quest in the game, with the exception of chasing down all the armor schematics, and really can't overstate how enjoyable all those quests were when each had its own story rather than just being empty fetch quests. I've spent similar amounts of time in Elder Scrolls games, but those eventually felt like criss-crossing the map just to check completion boxes and became monotonous. Witcher 3 managed to give meaning to even the smallest tasks, and often turned what I expected to be minor distractions from the main story into prolonged, engrossing tales of their own...several of which ended up greatly affected the lives of characters in the game.

As for the main plot, pretty much every aspect was outstanding. The story moved smoothly between a large cast of interesting characters, and the amount of reactivity to my choices constantly impressed. I tried to maintain a constant 'personality' for my version of Geralt, and received a very satisfying end to my story...
Spoiler:
Ciri stopped the White Frost and became a Witcher

Geralt and Yen run off to live happily ever after

Nilfgaard was defeated and the emperor is killed

Radovid is assassinated and Dijkstra rules the North

Cerys brings peace and prosperity to Skellige

The Bloody Baron left with his damaged wife with hopes to help her and correct the mistakes he made
I could go on and on about how much I enjoyed this game and all the things it does so much better than almost any other. I think the best compliment I can give, however, is to say that I have a new all-time favorite RPG. After 20 years, CD Projekt Red has finally knocked Baldur's Gate 2 off its pedestal...and made a very strong case as one of my all-time favorite games.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's the current standard I compare all other games to. I've yet to play anything that comes close; it's a true masterpiece.

...and I still haven't played the two major DLC stories. I can't bring myself to risk changing anything I loved so much about the core game. :oops:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I have this on GOG and for the life of me cant remember if I played it.
I recall bits and pieces of gameplay, but they may be from 1 or 2.
I've scrolled thru all 28 pages and see no posts from me, which is unusual if I've played a game.
GOG has no stats for me playing this, yet I cant imagine never loading it up.
Very strange indeed....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I finished it in 2017 with 56 hours into it. The only Witcher Gear I bothered with was my Grandmaster Wolf armor. I did have some crazy ass swords with runes in them that glowed. I wanted the DLCs but couldn't afford them but kept my save. I saw it a minute ago actually. At the very start of 2018 my wife got me the addons when they went on sale. Somehow it simply gave me the GotY version. Oh well. I had planned to play them after a few months rest but didn't get around to it. Figured Id do it 2019. Well my little wife got sick and passed away and we know how last year ended up going for me. I really dont even remember the damn year much. I really dont. I keep thinking of getting back to it but haven't yet. Maybe next year. I hear both DLCs are really good especially Blood & Wine.

EDIT: Page 25 Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:53 pm ......thats when I posted I finished it. The game felt a lot longer than the 56 hours I played. I mean it felt bigger than BG 1 or 2 and I played those 100s of hours.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Smoove_B wrote:...and I still haven't played the two major DLC stories. I can't bring myself to risk changing anything I loved so much about the core game. :oops:
I definitely intend to play the expansions, and could totally enjoy jumping right into them without a break, but I thought that I may take a little time off for something different. The Last of Us 2 is out, and I really want to see how they follow up what I consider one of the best told video game stories...
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:26 pm It's the current standard I compare all other games to. I've yet to play anything that comes close; it's a true masterpiece.

...and I still haven't played the two major DLC stories. I can't bring myself to risk changing anything I loved so much about the core game. :oops:
The DLCs don’t change anything about the core game; the main storyline and characters are unaffected by the choices made in these tales, though “Blood and Wine’ may have some impact on the endgame, which is why it’s recommended to play that after finishing the main story.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was so blown away at the end of the core game, I had to take a break. I didn't realize Blood and Wine was supposed to be *right* after the ending, though broadly knowing what it's about I guess that's not a surprise. I started Hearts of Stone though I'm not sure how far I am into it. I keep saying I'm going to go back, but the whole thing was just so *perfect* I don't want to ruin it. I know I need to get over that. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

disarm wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:14 pm I tried to maintain a constant 'personality' for my version of Geralt, and received a very satisfying end to my story...
Spoiler:

The Bloody Baron left with his damaged wife with hopes to help her and correct the mistakes he made
I'm pretty sure I had every bad ending possible when I finished. :(

Still, as mentioned by all, this game is the gold standard of CRPGs. All other games are measured against it when I start them.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:55 pm
disarm wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:14 pm I tried to maintain a constant 'personality' for my version of Geralt, and received a very satisfying end to my story...
Spoiler:

I'm pretty sure I had every bad ending possible when I finished. :(

Still, as mentioned by all, this game is the gold standard of CRPGs. All other games are measured against it when I start them.
Spoiler:
I got the "Ciri becomes a witcher, Nilfgaard conquers the North" endings. I discovered after I finished that I came *really* close to getting th worst ending, which would have been a big bummer. Some of the key decisions seemed really odd to me - thank God I had that snowball fight with Ciri.
But I guess I was supposed to encourage her to vent her power and rage in that cave, which seems like bad parenting to me.

Also I didn't realize that when I was asked "hey, should we go see the Emperor before we deal with this angry General that's rampaging across the world?" that that was the *only* time that I could go see the Emperor about Ciri. Whoopsies!

I also regretted siding with Roche against Djikstra. In fairness, it was stupid of Djikstra to attack Roche before Geralt left.
Black Lives Matter.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:50 pm I was so blown away at the end of the core game, I had to take a break. I didn't realize Blood and Wine was supposed to be *right* after the ending, though broadly knowing what it's about I guess that's not a surprise. I started Hearts of Stone though I'm not sure how far I am into it. I keep saying I'm going to go back, but the whole thing was just so *perfect* I don't want to ruin it. I know I need to get over that. :D
Heart of Stone is my absolute favorite side story in any RPG.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Out of curiosity if i ever did get back to it I planned to do Stone then Wine...would you guys say thats the right order?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, that's the way I did it. Stone happens in the main gameplay area, while Wine and Blood happens in an entirely different area. That mountain backdrop is just amazing.
Black Lives Matter
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

Both HoS and BaW are fantastic, for different reasons too.
The main Witcher 3 story and game was indeed deeply satisfying - like a great steak. HoS is the excellent mash and gravy that compliment that steak, and bring out the best parts of the steak. Blood and wine is the dessert course, and I found it to be an *even more* satisfying conclusion to the overall world (at least how things ended up).
I loved both DLCs. For those that didn't jump in, but have them - it's worth going for it!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I’ll chime in and add to the chorus: both expansions are great. HoS wasn’t necessary to the main game but was a cool add-on story. I think it took me something like 8 - 10 hours. Blood and Wine could almost be considered a separate game. As mentioned, you’re in a new land with new monsters and the whole area is much brighter and colorful than the original area. And it ends with a pretty satisfactory conclusion to the whole game. I think it took me 20 - 25 hours to beat and I’m sure there’s plenty I didn’t do.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

I really want to do a replay and then hit the 2 expansions which I procured long after I finished the main game. I just find I play games less and less these days. I think I may have to get the Switch version so I can replay the main game on my couch instead of in my "game/theater room". I love the fact that you can have cross saves between PC and Switch. What an awesome feature. I need to find the Switch version on sale - damn Switch games stay pricey!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

So after firing this up, it's really weird how some parts seem familiar and some don't.
I'm still not sure if I played this before.
Could I possibly be remembering parts from 1 and 2?
Are the games that similar?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No, I wouldn't say they are similar at all. It's possible you're remembering stories and characters but I don't think it's possible to confuse them (as experiences).

This is also why I like STEAM and the achievements. Helps me remember if I played something and for how long. :D
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Yeah. My ssd took a dump a couple of months ago, so ALL of my gaming info from Steam, GOG, Origin etc. got lost.
It's been fun trying to piece everything back together...….
If only Bob Barker/Drew Carey reminded me to backup my system instead of spay and neuter...….
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Why didn't anyone tell me Hearts of Stone was so damn good? And the consensus is that Blood and Wine is better? This game continues to deliver!

EDIT: Ah, I see that SIM did. It's really, really good. It's definitely one of the most memorable stories that I can think of for any game - absolutely.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Someday I shall play both DLC. Some ....day.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There's no time like the present! Definitely worth the trip back into the world of The Witcher. I am simultaneously mad and happy that I didn't play this sooner. Blood and Wine is absolutely next.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think Hearts of Stone is perhaps the best story mission(s) in the game. Blood & Wine is great, but it's a different beast. I don't think the main quest of B&W is nearly as good as HS story-wise, but there is just so much more to explore and things to do; it's almost like a sequel
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

I own both of the DLCs but haven't played them. It's been long enough now that I would want to replay the main game before playing them. Just haven't been ready to commit the time to them. I have had trouble sticking to any game lately - which is odd since I have so much more time at home due to the current horror show we live in.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

If you beat the main game, I wouldn't necessarily think you would have to restart; both DLCs are pretty removed from the main story line.
Black Lives Matter