Warlords III: Darklords Rising just released...

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

El Guapo

Re: Warlords III: Darklords Rising just released...

Post by El Guapo »

A couple of my units got 'medals'. What does that mean? I assume that's some type of level up where the unit gets additional attack / defense?
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:36 am A couple of my units got 'medals'. What does that mean? I assume that's some type of level up where the unit gets additional attack / defense?
Something like that. From the manual:

Medals are occasionally awarded to attacking armies that survive a combat in which two or
more armies on both sides participated. Any army with one or more medals is veteran, and
gets to roll two dice in combat and choose the most favourable result. Up to four medals
can be awarded to a single army. If an army has one medal the second die rolled is a d30
(ie., a random number is chosen between 1 and 30). If it has two medals it is a d26, three
medals a d22, and four medals a d18. The lower the random number generated by a unit
in combat, the better. Obviously if a unit chooses a number between 1 and 18 chances are
that it will be lower than if it chooses a number between 1 and 30. Heroes are not eligible
to win medals.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Archinerd, the turn 8 file you sent me crashes game when loading. Every other turn file was 389kb, but this file is 533kb.
And all the other turns you sent zipped. This one wasn't.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, for some reason it seems like unzipped turn files cause a crash.
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

zipped and emailed.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

t9 winging across teh tubes!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Last chance for the forces of evil to clear out of my territory. Borders are closed.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:08 pm Last chance for the forces of evil to clear out of my territory. Borders are closed.
So...define "your territory". I see that one of my groups of fine gentlemen widely misunderstood and regarded as "barbarians" has been running across a number of your armies, but the cities around seem to be neutral.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Those two neutral cities are part of my territory, they just don't know it yet.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Go to a nearby city.... (the farthest away city I own...). Stupid quest.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zenn7 wrote:Go to a nearby city.... (the farthest away city I own...). Stupid quest.
2 turn vector.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:24 am
Zenn7 wrote:Go to a nearby city.... (the farthest away city I own...). Stupid quest.
2 turn vector.
It was more than 2 turns away. 3-4 turns (as I can't remember specifically, so it's possible it was middle of move when I got the quest and that was just turn 8 and I will get there on turn 10).
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:29 pm Those two neutral cities are part of my territory, they just don't know it yet.
I just hope that you are not bullying those fine cities into joining.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Something something aries something murum.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:41 am Go to a nearby city.... (the farthest away city I own...). Stupid quest.
I got a little big for my britches and took an "average" quest, which would've required my hero to personally be involved in killing IIRC 15 of Pyperkub's units. Notwithstanding his bat incursions, that wasn't going to happen anytime soon...so abandoned that quest immediately. Going to stick to easy quests for a bit longer.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zenn7 wrote:
2 turn vector.
It was more than 2 turns away. 3-4 turns (as I can't remember specifically, so it's possible it was middle of move when I got the quest and that was just turn 8 and I will get there on turn 10).
You can vector existing units to any friendly city. It takes 2 turns and the units bounce if you lose the city.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:48 am
Zenn7 wrote:
2 turn vector.
You can vector existing units to any friendly city. It takes 2 turns and the units bounce if you lose the city.
Ohhh so vectoring is like slow teleportation? I assumed that it just made the units start walking to the destination.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

So I just, uh, killed someone’s troops (Archinerd’s?). I didn’t mean anything by it, just wanted to see what happened if I clicked attack (i.e. would it give me any sort of warning). It didn’t. But really, if you’re walking some barbarians around my cities, you shouldn’t expect to live long.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:30 am
Zenn7 wrote:
2 turn vector.
Ohhh so vectoring is like slow teleportation? I assumed that it just made the units start walking to the destination.
I thought vectoring was only for new units. Defending units always stayed behind. You're saying if I move a unit there who doesn't defend, he would vector/teleport there like the new troops?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:46 am So I just, uh, killed someone’s troops (Archinerd’s?). I didn’t mean anything by it, just wanted to see what happened if I clicked attack (i.e. would it give me any sort of warning). It didn’t. But really, if you’re walking some barbarians around my cities, you shouldn’t expect to live long.
If you are at war, no warning. If you are not at war, it should show peace symbol over the attack symbol so you know you are about to declare war.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:38 pm
Zenn7 wrote:
2 turn vector.
I thought vectoring was only for new units. Defending units always stayed behind. You're saying if I move a unit there who doesn't defend, he would vector/teleport there like the new troops?
No, vectoring is only for new units (I think). But I had thought that vectoring just made new units start walking to the vectored destination. Apparently it teleports them (such that you can basically use vectoring to move units from one side of one's empire to another, even if the walking would normally take the unit more than 2 turns to traverse the relevant distance).
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:06 pm
Zenn7 wrote:
2 turn vector.
No, vectoring is only for new units (I think). But I had thought that vectoring just made new units start walking to the vectored destination. Apparently it teleports them (such that you can basically use vectoring to move units from one side of one's empire to another, even if the walking would normally take the unit more than 2 turns to traverse the relevant distance).
Incorrect, if you rt-click on a stack in a city, you can vector it to any city you own from the vector dialog.

Though you are correct about the 2-turn teleportation.

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:46 am So I just, uh, killed someone’s troops (Archinerd’s?). I didn’t mean anything by it, just wanted to see what happened if I clicked attack (i.e. would it give me any sort of warning). It didn’t. But really, if you’re walking some barbarians around my cities, you shouldn’t expect to live long.
:evil:
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

So did we all start at war? If not, any idea why I was already at war with whomever I attacked? I don’t think (?) there had been any previous conflict.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:10 pm
Zenn7 wrote:
2 turn vector.
Incorrect, if you rt-click on a stack in a city, you can vector it to any city you own from the vector dialog.

Oh, interesting. Is there some explanation about why vectoring moves a unit faster than they could normally walk? Magic?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:01 pm So did we all start at war? If not, any idea why I was already at war with whomever I attacked? I don’t think (?) there had been any previous conflict.
No, we don't all start at war. It sounds like there just isn't a warning before initiating war if you click on another player's unit to initiate combat. Or, I suppose it's also possible that they had attacked you on a previous turn.
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:59 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:01 pm So did we all start at war? If not, any idea why I was already at war with whomever I attacked? I don’t think (?) there had been any previous conflict.
No, we don't all start at war. It sounds like there just isn't a warning before initiating war if you click on another player's unit to initiate combat. Or, I suppose it's also possible that they had attacked you on a previous turn.
I think it was me, but I'm not 100% sure.
If so, I did kill one of your scouts a turn or two ago.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:58 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:10 pm
Zenn7 wrote:
2 turn vector.

Oh, interesting. Is there some explanation about why vectoring moves a unit faster than they could normally walk? Magic?
Not really an explanation, it is just the default. There is an option in game setup (when you are setting up the each individual game) to make it be actual move time.

And thanks PK, wasn't aware of the rt-click vector option!
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:59 pm No, we don't all start at war.
But CtF winner will come to war with everyone.
"Keep the war in WARlords." :horse:
Turn 10 sent.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Dave Allen wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:59 am
Turn 10 sent.
Yeah, I mean ultimately peace is an illusion in this game, insofar as either party can change it to war at any instant with no real penalty, and since we are in a war of all against all at the end of the day.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Turn 10 is on its way to Nick!

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:08 am
Turn 10 sent.
Yeah, I mean ultimately peace is an illusion in this game, insofar as either party can change it to war at any instant with no real penalty, and since we are in a war of all against all at the end of the day.
Well, at the time being there's at least 1 alliance...

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Archinerd wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:42 am I think it was me, but I'm not 100% sure.
Well then I regret nothing!
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:32 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:08 am
Turn 10 sent.
Well, at the time being there's at least 1 alliance...
Me and Zenn7 4 EVA!
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:02 pm
Archinerd wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:42 am I think it was me, but I'm not 100% sure.
Well then I regret nothing!
Alliances?! :shock:

In that case, I'm willing to call an end to hostilities and be Allies.
Open offer.

Ooops, quoted wrong one, but whatever.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Turn 10 sent to Ralph.

Finally completed my quest just to get an exciting Sword of Light! (+1 to strength... since my hope is that the fights never get down to my hero, not the greatest reward, but better than nothing I guess).
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

At a conference so will take a bit longer to send on than usual, but hope to get it out this afternoon.
Black Lives Matter
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

OOO OOOO OOOOOOOOO DLR! (Giddy childish laughter ensues.)

Poked my head in to this forum for the first time and saw this thread. DLR is one of my favorite games of all time! I immediately went to GOG, bought it, installed it, and won my first game against 4 Warlord opponents.

Wow, what a great game. I tried to get it running about a year ago with the original disks and some internet workarounds. The game crashed about 6 turns in, and I gave up. This GOG version seems to be running flawlessly. It even gives me the warning that I might be short on memory!!

I tried a capture the flag game, but it seems to only work with all human players. Can you explain what you have to do to win?

I've never played against people, but next game count me in!!

Note to Ralph-Wiggum and Archinerd ..... All scouts must die! :twisted:
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Is there a way to see the stats of an enemy unit? Specifically, I haven’t been able to figure out the strength of neutral units guarding cities. It seems like there must be a way to do it, but for the life of me I can’t figure it out (neither right clicking or shift clicking seems to work).
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Fardaza wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:58 am I tried a capture the flag game, but it seems to only work with all human players. Can you explain what you have to do to win?
Get the 8 items of power (8 of the magical items).
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:06 am Is there a way to see the stats of an enemy unit? Specifically, I haven’t been able to figure out the strength of neutral units guarding cities. It seems like there must be a way to do it, but for the life of me I can’t figure it out (neither right clicking or shift clicking seems to work).
Attack them. You'll see their strength and hits I think. :p

Seriously, I have not found a way to do it in game. You have to figure out what the units are to see what their stats are. I might be wrong though, there is a army list that you can see your own armies, might be able to see others (this is the armies we sent Dave for the game set up, not what we actually have on the board currently). Not sure if that shows stats or not. Other than that, you'd have to recognize the units and look them up in the manual appendix.