chromebook Help

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Trink

chromebook Help

Post by Trink »

I need help with a used chromebook. GF got me one for X Mas. It seems its in pretty good shape. seems newer. Problem. WHen I try to install things from Playstore on it, It doesnt install on the Chromebook but it installs it on my phone. I have tried adding it to my google account and eiher I am doing something wrong or I am just npt getting it. Help would be appreciated.
MonkeyFinger

Re: chromebook Help

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Hmmmm... don't have one but perhaps this will help. Also check if your model is on the list supporting Android apps.
-mf
Trink

Post by Trink »

It is a Dell Chromebook 11 but I dont know where to find the number for the type to see if it supported. It looks from the only few that are listed that it really may not be...:(
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

It should work: https://www.androidauthority.com/chrome ... ps-874984/

Follow the directions in settings to allow the google play store (see MonkeyFinger post.) I did this on my kid's new chromebook a few weeks ago and it worked for me.
Trink

Post by Trink »

According to the post. This Chromebook does not take android apps. Interesting, So How I install stuff on it?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It sounds to me that the app in question is not supported by your Chromebook model. Or maybe even not supported by Chromebooks in general. Is the play store actively running as part of the Chromebook? Because if the playstore is there, I'd assume that it can run android apps. There was a time when that wasn't the case and Chromebooks had their own echosystem until Google changed things.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Trink

Post by Trink »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:40 pm It sounds to me that the app in question is not supported by your Chromebook model. Or maybe even not supported by Chromebooks in general. Is the play store actively running as part of the Chromebook? Because if the playstore is there, I'd assume that it can run android apps. There was a time when that wasn't the case and Chromebooks had their own echosystem until Google changed things.
no. the playstore is not on it, and according to how to set it up. if the one option is not available in settings then the device does not support android. its another example of my GF being very kind hearted but not consulting me before she purchases something. Its not the first time, She does it for herself as well all the time, Oh well.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yep, sorry to say it definitely sounds like it doesn't support Android if the playstore isn't on it. As for installing apps, you may be out of luck. I don't even know if Google still supports or runs the old store anymore.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:43 pm myself, i would just

https://www.ubuntupit.com/easily-instal ... hromebook/
Definitely do this. If you're interested in using it for something more than a web browser that spoon-feeds everything you do directly to Google, upgrading to a full version of Linux will provide much more bang for your buck.

If you have no other use for it, after installing Linux I'd suggest installing the Pi-Hole adblocker. Pi-Hole will essentially protect your entire network from ads and unwanted content. Better yet, ads get blocked before they are even downloaded. Which makes for an easy way to block ads in non-traditional places such as mobile apps and smart TVs, regardless of hardware or OS.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Trink

Post by Trink »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:52 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:43 pm myself, i would just

https://www.ubuntupit.com/easily-instal ... hromebook/
Definitely do this. If you're interested in using it for something more than a web browser that spoon-feeds everything you do directly to Google, upgrading to a full version of Linux will provide much more bang for your buck.

If you have no other use for it, after installing Linux I'd suggest installing the Pi-Hole adblocker. Pi-Hole will essentially protect your entire network from ads and unwanted content. Better yet, ads get blocked before they are even downloaded. Which makes for an easy way to block ads in non-traditional places such as mobile apps and smart TVs, regardless of hardware or OS.
Thanks. I checked the Linux install bit but not sure I did it correctedly. I really wanted this to be able to make documents and such,
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

First, which Chrome OS is it on? Mine just updated to 79.0.3945.86

Not sure why it'd install elsewhere unless the browser thinks it's on a PC and not Chromebook.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Trink

Post by Trink »

76.0.3809 something but when I check for updates it says its up to date.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Trink

Post by Trink »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:29 am Maybe your autoupdate has expired:

https://support.google.com/chromebook/a ... ic=3418794

I did the check for update thing and it says its up to date. ((shrug))