What are your next major purchases?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Re: What are your next major purchases?

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just paid $80 to get a pair of progressive glasses. Hopefully it'll be here in two weeks. Broke the pair that just arrived (barely lasted 24 hours). *sigh*

Oh, and decided to pay $50 for a different pair of bone conduction headphones, this time, true Bluetooth, from Avantree. I've had good luck with Avantree before... I had a pair of over-the-ear set for 2.5 years now and it's light, comfy, large enough, and LONG battery life (I can go couple days without recharging it). This is replacing Aftershokz Sportz Titanium. It is wired, but it needs a battery to be charged to work properly. Which negates the whole idea of a wired set. And battery life is about the same... 8-9 hours. Go figure.

With that said, the only other bone conduction set I've tried was a Panasonic, and it just wasn't big enough for my head. I hope this one is big enough, but given the Aftershokz one fits, I'm hoping this one would fit too, as they are usually all about the same sizes.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
raydude

Post by raydude »

Victoria Raverna wrote:Probably a digital piano for my daughter since she is very interested in learning to play piano and have been asking for us to let her take piano classes.

A real piano is not suitable for my apartment so that only leave it to a digital or a hybrid piano and a hybrid piano is too expensive.

I guess I have to postpone getting a new GPU and a new monitor for another year.
We bought a used 66 key keyboard for $25 at a garage sale a few years back. It was good enough for the kids to start learning lessons. It wasn’t until now that they needed a full 88 key keyboard. We got one on Black Friday for 200.
mori

Post by mori »

Everyone should go to electric toothbrushes. I went with Oral B and it has really helped with my gum disease.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

mori wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:46 pm Everyone should go to electric toothbrushes. I went with Oral B and it has really helped with my gum disease.
called GINGIVITIS??
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

raydude wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:11 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote:Probably a digital piano for my daughter since she is very interested in learning to play piano and have been asking for us to let her take piano classes.

A real piano is not suitable for my apartment so that only leave it to a digital or a hybrid piano and a hybrid piano is too expensive.

I guess I have to postpone getting a new GPU and a new monitor for another year.
We bought a used 66 key keyboard for $25 at a garage sale a few years back. It was good enough for the kids to start learning lessons. It wasn’t until now that they needed a full 88 key keyboard. We got one on Black Friday for 200.
Are they learning classical piano lessons with those?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:44 pm In January our first order of Insulin will burn through a large part of the deductible. I’m on the other side of the equation.
Twin (girl version) is scheduled for adenoid removal and ear tube surgery on 1/8, and oldest will be getting a new TLSO (basically a custom molded torso brace to help keep the spine straight) this month that will be very costly. Fortunately we've built up a decent amount on the HSA, but we'll still go out of pocket quite a bit until we hit the deductible.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
raydude

Post by raydude »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:51 pm

The teacher uses the Faber books: Theory, Technique, Performance, etc. There are some classical pieces there. The pieces are now at the point though where some notes at the end are beyond the octave of the old keyboard.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just realized I can "sorta" fix my broken (new) pair of glasses with those UV-cured glue (Bondic and various clones) as I happen to have a Bondic kit and a clone kit around. Trying it now as not to waste my $35.

Update: it sort of works, so far. Moving to random stuff.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Termites! :twisted: I opted for the one day heat treatment to fry the little buggers. Including some minor wood replacement it will set me back 5 large. For all you lucky homeowners, I recommend annual inspections.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I pre-ordered a Snapmaker 2.0 A350.. Then My roof started leaking. Went into the attic and there is somehow an actual hole in the roof. Thought the worst, but called insurance anyway.. $1,000 deductible, but they are covering the rest of it which is gonna run around $5,000 after the deductible.
Almost canceled the Snapmaker...
Then 2 days ago, my wife's car starts to stall randomly when coming to a stop. Engine completely turns off and all the lights come on. She has to put it in Park and then start the engine again. I dropped it off at the dealer on Sat, but they aren't looking at it until Monday ay noon at the earliest.
I have an extended warranty for it, so I'm hoping its something covered.
The hand is once again hovering over the cancel button. I will be bummed out if so since I've wanted the original one for a while...(It is currently cheaper than the one I ordered, but also MUCH smaller.)
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

raydude wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:23 pm

The teacher uses the Faber books: Theory, Technique, Performance, etc. There are some classical pieces there. The pieces are now at the point though where some notes at the end are beyond the octave of the old keyboard.
I am surprised that they learn classical piano on a regular keyboard which is not close to the feel of an acoustic piano. Those keyboards have weighted and pressure sensitive keys? If not then it is not really learning to play piano.

Still I guess it is better to practice on a regular electronic keyboard than not practising at all.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

When I bought my house, I thought a piano was a good thing to have and bought a used Currier spinnet for under $200. With moving day trucks and helpers, the transaction and pickup went well and we have a real piano nobody in the house really knows how to play. My son has been figuring out some songs on his own though, we probably need to start sending him to lessons soon but he already has extracurricular activities 3x per week. I trolled on FB looking for a patient high school student who might be interested in coming over once a week and teach him some very basic stuff, but got no bites.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

4 new tires for a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country and replacing the vent actuator. Going to be in the neighborhood of $1000. Happy New Year.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
raydude

Post by raydude »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:42 am

I am surprised that they learn classical piano on a regular keyboard which is not close to the feel of an acoustic piano. Those keyboards have weighted and pressure sensitive keys? If not then it is not really learning to play piano.

Still I guess it is better to practice on a regular electronic keyboard than not practising at all.
Ah, I did not see where you were going with your original question. I thought you were asking if the children needed to move up to 88 keys vs 66. Yes, as one who took piano lessons for 8 years in my childhood on an upright piano I agree with you that normal keyboards are not the same as a piano.

That's why we tested the feel of the keyboards at the Black Friday sale. The one we got most definitely had weighted and pressure sensitive keys and came with a sustain pedal.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The inside glass on my oven shattered the other day. :x I have no idea if this is going to be yet another case of might as well get a new one vs. exorbitant cost to repair.
Black Lives Matter
whitebrain

Post by whitebrain »

Battery operated self pleasuring device spam removed. Probably cheaper than an oven though...unless it was made out of gold.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:50 am The inside glass on my oven shattered the other day. :x I have no idea if this is going to be yet another case of might as well get a new one vs. exorbitant cost to repair.
You tube video seems to imply it's not that costly.

https://products.geappliances.com/appli ... ntId=38727
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:01 pm
Jeff V wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:50 am The inside glass on my oven shattered the other day. :x I have no idea if this is going to be yet another case of might as well get a new one vs. exorbitant cost to repair.
You tube video seems to imply it's not that costly.

https://products.geappliances.com/appli ... ntId=38727
That looks like my oven.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Emailed the deck guy to get the pressure wash and staining started for $1500. The joys of owning a corner lot.

Oh, and the garage door finally gave up the ghost last night and got itself stuck halfway closed. So, while I called a local business guy, the call went to VM. But he texted back when I was 6 digits into dialing the next one on the list.
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image Enlarge Image Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Before we moved I had some garage door issues to resolve and had a local guy come out. His entire business was all about garage doors - never thought there would be enough work, but apparently it's a thriving business. Anyway, for a few hundred bucks he gave the door a tune up - tightened a bunch of stuff, replaced a bunch of wearable parts and made sure everything was working great. After seeing what he did, I'd highly recommend finding someone local to do the same for any garage door. It really was like getting a tune up and after he was finished, the door worked better than it had in years.

Or I guess I could magically become handy after 30+ years and learn all that stuff myself.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Between the counterweighted heavy door and the springs, I would find a different handy hobby.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

My desk chair broke - I put heavy pressure on it because I am always leaning back. Was there any final consensus on the absolute best chair? I will pay top dollar for quality, but <$1k.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I got a good deal on my Steelcase to get it below $1k, but you'd have to finagle that with whomever your local supplier is.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:58 pm I got a good deal on my Steelcase to get it below $1k, but you'd have to finagle that with whomever your local supplier is.
$900 at Amazon, depending on the color.

I have a HON at work, want to say they're in the $400-$500 range, probably cheaper outside b2b markups.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

You can pick good Steelcase chairs out of the trash around here.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Thanks for the recommendation. I ended up getting the THINK for $700.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We eat dinner in front of the TV nearly every night, hunched over the coffee table, so we're thinking of spending our stimulus bucks on one of those lift-top coffee tables. Looks like we can get a nice one in the $600-800 range. Our current coffee table came free with the couch and is worth about what we paid for it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I was sad to give up my old coffee table when we moved.

It had been my grandparents', and they both died just before I went off to grad school. When I did, my dad and his brother told me to go to their house with a U-Haul and pick any furniture I wanted for my new apartment.

The coffee table was the last of the furniture I still had after six or eight moves. I miss it only because it had visible tooth marks from all my grandpa's dogs, ca. 1975 to 1991.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I just pulled the trigger on paying off my undergraduate student loans. Projected payoff timeframe was 6 3/4 more years. Looks like, aside from not having that payment (which wasn't COVID-deferred, thanks Navient!), I'll save about $5k in interest over that timeframe.

Of course, the monthly payment will almost cover the month cost of my graduate loans once they come out of deferment in November.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Why wasn't your loan deferred? My wife's Navient loan is...

I'm still putting the payment in the bucket but not sending it in until deferment ends in case Biden cancels the debt. Then that money goes straight to the streets.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No clue. They’re 1990s loans on consolidation and graduated repayment.

I still have grad loans, but that’s effectively cc consolidation with my tuition reimbursement. And I’m doing well enough now to not sweat waiting on forgiveness.
disarm

Post by disarm »

We've committed to putting in an inground pool behind our house this summer, along with all the other necessary patio and landscaping work. It's a huge expense, but the fact that we saved money on a lot of things last year due to COVID (vacation, kid's extracurricular activities, etc) helps to offset the cost a bit. It's a total luxury expense, but still hurts to see the money start flowing out as we prepare to get started.

We're also having a lawn irrigation system put in while things are already torn up and paying to do a pretty extensive rehab of our lawn after last summer's drought killed a majority of our grass. I'm not one of those people that expects a perfect lawn, but ours is about half dirt right now...looks awful and will never get better without reseeding and consistent watering.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

disarm wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:51 pm We've committed to putting in an inground pool behind our house this summer,
Please post updates, and if you don't mind, what the expense is. A neighbor a few doors down did this last summer, but I've failed to become best friends with them. Our HOA does not allow above-ground pools, and there is no community pool to compensate (there's a resident discount at a water park that's off-limits in the age of Covid).
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Major purchases of the planned variety are on hold until we can liquidate our Lansing house, hopefully in the next 2-3 months. We want to do some major home renovations then. My front porch might have other ideas, though. It is decaying faster than I can patch it up and needs a complete rebuild. One of its main support posts is a cedar log on a rock -- which has been solid for as much as 100 years (and still is), but it gives you an idea of what I'm working with. There's nothing left to nail flooring boards into anymore, and a lot of them need replacing, like, now. I can't Macgyver it with shims and wood putty anymore.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Jeff V wrote:
disarm wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:51 pm We've committed to putting in an inground pool behind our house this summer,
Please post updates, and if you don't mind, what the expense is. A neighbor a few doors down did this last summer, but I've failed to become best friends with them. Our HOA does not allow above-ground pools, and there is no community pool to compensate (there's a resident discount at a water park that's off-limits in the age of Covid).
We're paying about $42k for a 16x32 rectangle, vinyl-lined pool with chlorine generator (saltwater pool) and propane heater. That includes all plumbing, electrical, gas line work, and filling the pool. On top of that, we're looking at about another $40k for large stamped concrete patio, fire pit, and black aluminum perimeter fence. We'll also be paying a little more to modify the deck on our house to better fit the pool, a little additional electrical work for outdoor lighting, and landscaping to make it all pretty.

We're expecting it to come close to six figures for the whole project by the time it's done. As I said, it's not a small expense...

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Have to replace the plumbing under the house since it was built with copper back in the 90's and it's starting to spring small leaks. So I decided to also replace the 3x3 fiberglass coffin shower in the master bath with a walk in tiled shower and replace the bathroom vanity. Work should start this month sometimes. About $6k to $7k job.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Congrats, Isg.

We're having a 'boring' big purchase year: having the house painted and new windows installed. The house hasn't been painted since before we moved in back in 2010, and the current windows are original builder grade from 1997. So it'll be a substantial improvement, but not as fun as our last big purchases which were solar panels and an electric car.

I second the idea that COVID savings from lack of travel help take the sting out of 2021 purchases.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And a $500 trip to the emergency vet because one of the dogs wouldn’t put weight on one of her back legs. Nothing broken on the X-rays, so we got some pain killers, anti inflammatories, and antibiotics for her slightly enlarged lymph nodes.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I need to shop kitchen appliances. I had money saved but didn't buy last year due to COVID and economy concerns. And then this last winter, I found them to have a lot of shortages. I think those shortages are supposed to be clearing up this spring.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A/C, purchased in 2015 a month after we moved in, quit blowing cold today. The place we bought it has evening service, so we were actually able to have a service guy make it out around 7. Needs new parts. No place that has them will be open until Monday.

So three adults and three dogs will be headed down to a La Quinta for the weekend.