Witcher series by Netflix

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Witcher series by Netflix

Post by Blackhawk »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:08 am For us non-book-readers, could you spoiler up an explanation of #5?
Which part? The last wish?

Spoiler:
That's not really spelled out in the book, either. All that is really known is that Geralt needed a way to save both himself and Yen at the same time, so he tied their fates together.

Also, the second wish - that the guard would burst. If I recall, in the books he said, "I wish you'd go fuck yourself." :shock:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Blackhawk wrote:
MonkeyFinger wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:08 am For us non-book-readers, could you spoiler up an explanation of #5?
Which part? The last wish?

Spoiler:
That's not really spelled out in the book, either. All that is really known is that Geralt needed a way to save both himself and Yen at the same time, so he tied their fates together.

Also, the second wish - that the guard would burst. If I recall, in the books he said, "I wish you'd go fuck yourself." :shock:
The spoiler was Geralt's first wish and hilarious the way the book set it up.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Was it? I remember that it happened, but it's been years since I've read them.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:10 pm Was it? I remember that it happened, but it's been years since I've read them.
Spoiler:
The first wish was when Geralt told the djinn literally to "go fuck himself". That's when Geralt was reciting what he thought was an exorcism spell that a priestess taught him, in a language that he didn't understand (but the priestess pranked him).

The second wish was when he told the guard "I wish you would burst" or something along those lines (in Slavic languages, it's the equivalent of telling someone to go to hell).
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

gilraen wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:55 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:10 pm Was it? I remember that it happened, but it's been years since I've read them.
Spoiler:
The first wish was when Geralt told the djinn literally to "go fuck himself". That's when Geralt was reciting what he thought was an exorcism spell that a priestess taught him, in a language that he didn't understand (but the priestess pranked him).

The second wish was when he told the guard "I wish you would burst" or something along those lines (in Slavic languages, it's the equivalent of telling someone to go to hell).
More on how the book/story set it up:
Spoiler:
Geralt initially said that he used a curse in an unknown language he had learned from the Melitele priestesses to get rid of the Djinn. In the book, the Djinn "cloud" briefly turns red and then leaves. It's only later when Yennifer is asking him about the wishes that he lets her know about what turned out to be the first wish - the "curse" loosely translated to " Get out of here and go do something anatomically impossible (aka Get out of here and go fuck yourself!)"

Which still makes me laugh every time I think of it!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I have watched half of the season and I think it's teriffic. Cavill is just perfect as Geralt. The differing times are a bit confusing, but not a real detriment so far.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Some minor spoilers, but a very interesting look at why the series was set up so confusingly:
By scrambling both its own mythology and its sense of time, in addition to having incredibly surreal yet vivid and violent images of monsters and mages in action, The Witcher makes visible the workings of myths themselves: It is their surreal nature and their freedom from time that makes them so potent, and, ironically, so enduring. Their lack of definition and their free-floating essence are captivating because they let our imagination flow, filling in their many gaps without ever arriving at a certain complete picture; they can always be rethought...

...The Witcher exposes how our doubts regarding myths are what keeps them alive. Having the characters use contemporary language and insults (a lot of “fucks” and “shits” are said), and giving Geralt a bard to follow him around and write factually incorrect but epic songs about his exploits, reinforces this idea that legends, precisely because they are imprecise, not bound to a specific time, and wildly unrealistic, are able to travel through decades and impact many lives.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No thats bullshit.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

JCC wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:01 pm I have watched half of the season and I think it's teriffic. Cavill is just perfect as Geralt. The differing times are a bit confusing, but not a real detriment so far.
Did you know about that in advance or just figure it out at some point? I just finished the third episode and I was constantly confused. After I read about the timelines it helped a bit. I'm trying not to read any spoilers but it's really tempting because I find the show hard to follow.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think when you get through #4, it will make more sense.

The last thing revealed in this video really surprised me:

Maybe next year, maybe no go
JCC

Post by JCC »

rittchard wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:45 pm Did you know about that in advance or just figure it out at some point? I just finished the third episode and I was constantly confused. After I read about the timelines it helped a bit. I'm trying not to read any spoilers but it's really tempting because I find the show hard to follow.
I had read things about the narrative jumping around as far as order goes. But, it's pretty apparent that the events aren't being told completely chronologically. I ended up reading each episode's Wikipedia synopsis after watching it. It doesn't (always) clear up what's happening when, but it helps to understand the narrative for the 3 primary characters. I would suspect that the events for the 3 main characters are being told more or less in the order they happened to them (indiviually) - but their timelines aren't completely in sync with each other. Though at the end of the season, I would guess we have reached the "present" for all 3.

But who knows? Have to wait until season 2 to find out.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Here's the short version Witcher guide:

Ciri = present
Geralt = ~20 years before Ciri
Yennefer = ~70 years before Ciri

All are chronological within their own timelines.

All but Ciri's make major jumps between episodes, sometimes years, sometimes decades. There is usually some indication of this. They do this to play catch up with each other. Minor timeline spoiler:
Spoiler:
They all end up at the same time.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

70 years?? Geez she can get a discount at Golden Corral.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So can Geralt.

FWIW, in the books, Yennefer is 94 at this point.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

So I should read the books, eh?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zaxxon wrote:So I should read the books, eh?
Yes.

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Game player but non-book reader. Just finished the series last night and loved it. I also felt like Season 1 ended just as things were getting going, which I’m sure is where the show’s creators wanted to leave us. Can’t wait for more, but bummed we have to wait until Fall 2021.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I’m also a game-player but not book-reader who just finished the season. I thought it was pretty good but not incredible. But it was certainly interesting enough to keep watching and I’ll definitely watch the next season.

I hadn’t read anything about the show but I didn’t find it too hard to pick up on the multiple timelines; I couldn’t have told you exactly when each was taking place, but I knew which was earliest, current, etc. However, it definitely required paying attention, as it was never explicitly spelled out. I wouldn’t have caught it if I had been doing something else while watching.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

we have to wait until Fall 2021.

What? A 2 year lull? I hated it in other shows when that happened for 1 year or 6 months...2 years is a show ender.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

At eight episodes, I'll just enjoy it now, then watch it again a few weeks before season 2.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Daehawk wrote:we have to wait until Fall 2021.

What? A 2 year lull? I hated it in other shows when that happened for 1 year or 6 months...2 years is a show ender.
Maybe if you'd toss a coin to your Witcher, they'd be able to speed up production.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote:
Daehawk wrote:we have to wait until Fall 2021.

Maybe if you'd toss a coin to your Witcher, they'd be able to speed up production.
Well played, Zaxxon!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Finished it last weekend and went right back and watched the first episode again as I had just read that story and I wanted to spot the differences between story and show.

Loved the whole season.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I loved the entire season as well. The genie episode was easily my favorite, but all of them were good. I agree that the time jumping was confusing at first, but by about episode 5 I didn't have much of an issue figuring out when things were happening.

I also agree that Cavil was perfect as Geralt, I can't imagine anyone else doing better. Also the actress playing Yennifer nailed her sexuality, even when she was supposed to be a hunch back.
FTE
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I would totally hunch that hunchback.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:18 am we have to wait until Fall 2021.

Technically it will be a year and a couple months. They expect 1st qtr 2021 release.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-witche ... t-season-2

The Witcher's Fight Scenes Were Choreographed By Game of Thrones' Night King
One of the first big fights you see on Netflix's The Witcher happens between Henry Cavill's Geralt and Emma Appleton's Renfri, and that clash was sorted and choreographed by Wolfgang Stegemann, who Cavill had worked with on Mission Impossible: Fallout. But Stegemann wasn't the full-time Witcher series stunt coordinator. No, that was Vladimir Furdik - aka Game of Thrones' Night King!

Netflix's Behind the Scenes podcast revealed how Furdik envisioned Geralt as a fighter as well as how he constructed the actual first confrontation on the series: Geralt's slaying of the Kikimora.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Just finished this and it's better than I could have imagined. I understand why this keeps getting compared to Game of Thrones. It's because of the production values and the acting and the breadth of the lore, all top-notch. I was admittedly very skeptical of Henry Cavill as The Witcher, but damn if he doesn't nail it. Just amazing what they've managed to accomplish and they've just scraped the surface. I can't wait to see where they go with this.

One thing that really threw me:
Spoiler:
In the last episode, When Yennifer says, "It's Magic. It's not real." And then you see it spoken by the tiny dragon in Geralt's flashback. I'm not sure what the significance was
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the soundtrack. It's highly reminiscent of the games.

Heh, seeing you all discuss the timelines reminds me of how Dunkirk was done.

What I'd like to see going forward is a bit more of the world. I don't know exactly how much of it we've seen, but I'd love to see Skellige. I hope we get to see Kaer Morhen at some point and maybe Vesimir.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wow, I am now a Cavill fan and will watch the series. Maybe even play the game.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:58 pm Wow, I am now a Cavill fan and will watch the series. Maybe even play the game.
It really is painful how awesome he seems, given that he also looks like that. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Want a Witcher sword? Well they're swamped!

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-only-person ... Id=control
Swordsmith Artur Wysocki has too many emails: Over 300 in the past few days, he says. After The Witcher on Netflix spurred a renewed interest in the Witcher books and games, the only smith licensed by CD Projekt to forge and sell swords based on the designs of the games will likely have a few more requests than usual.

Kaer Morhen Forge is a hobby and side-business for Wysocki, and he doesn't keep any in stock, but crafts the weapons for between €400 to €900 on commission (around $440 to $990 USD). Rune inscriptions and handmade scabbards cost extra.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, that will end well.
Covfefe!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

It will be fine...

They're only making replicas of the silver swords, and those are used just for monster-killing.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Magical monster killing, to boot. :wink:
-mf
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

*Looks quietly at the four swords, two daggers, and a battle axe in his living room.*
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, it's not like replicas haven't been made for other franchises such as Star Trek. I know of some people who bought bat'leths to hang in their house.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I watched the first 5 episodes and thought it was pretty good (if overly confusing). I've had the last three episodes downloaded to my iPad to watch on flights for the past 3 weeks, and I just haven't ever been able to generate the interest. Every time I think about wrapping up those last three, I find myself wanting to do/watch something else instead. It's the weirdest thing.

I need to set aside some time and wrap them up, just so I can quit leaving it hanging.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »