Operation Righteous Ferret (Hornet Leader:CAO)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: Operation Righteous Ferret (Hornet Leader:CAO)

Post by $iljanus »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:25 pm "Dodger, wake up and take those Migs out, now. Save the Mirages for later. Toon, Boston, target SAM sites as planned."

[looks like we gotta blow our situational awareness points to clear the air a bit, otherwise we're going to be taking a lot of fire. I'd suggest giving Scout's SA point to Dodger (that's what the flight leader can do as I recall) so he can fire off those AIM-120s early and take out the MIGs, as they're pretty nasty]
Unfortunately, the most skilled pilot gets the flight leader assignment and you don’t have SA points. Almost left you home for that reason but your +3 AtG modifier was hard to pass up. I think we should stick to the plan of hitting the SAM sites with all eligible pilots, especially since the planes need to shed some weight due to the penalties to AtA attacks. If we can ride out the initial bandit attack we can smack them down. In a pinch we may be able to suppress some fighters if in range. Meanwhile, Pyro continues sneaking towards the target and maybe takes out a plane along the way with his one AtA missile.

Exciting times!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Heh, was looking at the "cool" score instead of the SA score.

I guess wearing sunglasses indoors has its drawbacks.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Turn 1, fast pilot phase:

RAIDER (Gbasden) being acutely aware of his surroundings (spends 1 SA point to act in the fast phase) quickly fires of a pair of AGM-88s at the SA-11 site in the south. Both missiles home in on the site's radar emissions and the site is destroyed.

BOSTON (Dbt) also fires a pair of AGM-88s at a SA-11 site in the target area and also obliterates his target.

TOON (TheMix) targets the SA-10 in the command post area and only one of the 2 AGM-88s hit but that's enough to eliminate the site.

Turn 1, bandits and sites attack:

A MiG-23 from the south tries to get a lock onto TOON but the electronics in his ECM pod spoof the bandit and the MiG is unsuccessful. The MiG-2625 from the west however is more specific and TOON needs to do some fancy maneuvering in order to avoid the bandit's missiles. (Because TheMix failed his ECM roll I had him evade which allows you to do the bandit to hit roll twice, taking the lower result. Lucky for TheMix I rolled a 2 which adds one stress point since the second roll would have caused damage to the aircraft. When evading you also incur stress points since doing high speed maneuvers tends to get the heart racing. But with an ECM pod you only incur 1 vs 2 stress points. So TheMix has a total of 2 stress points but he's still "okay" to fly and suffers no attack penalties.)

Turn 1, slow pilot phase:

The DODGER strikes!

Enlarge Image

The DODGER (Archnerd) lets fly his missiles. AIM-120s can independently target multiple bandits and DODGER can also fire one other type of AtA missile. He fires a AIM-7 at the MiG-23 in the south and brings it down. AIM-120s fly off towards four other targets. The MiG-25 in the west and Mirage III in the target area are also brought down. But the MiG-23 over the target area and a MiG-29 in the north are able to avoid DODGER's missiles and make their way towards the Hornets.

SCOUT (NickAragua) fires a AGM-88 at a SA-15 site and effortlessly destroys it.

RAIDER gets to act again and takes out a SA-2 site with a pair of AGM-88s. (Gbasden is now free of AtG ordinance and can start dogfighting without penalty! He also has one more SA point so I'll probably use it the next turn to get the jump on a bandit next turn.

Positions at end of turn 1 after friendly planes move/change altitude phase then bandits move phase:

Enlarge Image

Other than PYRO flying along towards the target, I keep the rest of the planes in the area they started to draw the bandits closer to AIM-7 range. We're out of the targeting range of the bandits in the south but that MiG-29 over the target has a far reach and if you look at its attack values its guaranteed to hit its target. Bummer that DODGER's AIM-120 missed it. Also, who knows what random bandit pick will pop up the next turn.

Fun times! :pop:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Yikes!!!

If I make it through this, I'm letting that slacker Blackhawk take my spot on the next mission. That was way too damn close!

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

MIG 26 ?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:39 pmMIG 26 ?
Whoops, I should have put on my reading glasses to read the damn counters. MiG-25
Black lives matter!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wait until they see the MiG-28.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

A new Iranian friend shows up in the beginning of Turn 2:

Enlarge Image

Grrrr...damn over target events

Turn 2 fast pilot phase:

RAIDER uses his last SA point and attacks the Mirage III that just popped up in front of them and his AIM-7 Sidewinder destroys the plane.

Turn 2 bandit/sites attack phase:

The MiG-23 in the south makes a run at RAIDER. TOON tries to suppress the attack by firing a missile at the bandit but the MiG isn't deterred and fires off a missile of his own. The missile isn't spoofed by RAIDER's ECM pod but through some aerial acrobatics he outmaneuvers the missile. (and picks up 2 stress points).

That nasty MiG-29 fires off a missile at SCOUT that cuts through the ECM jamming but with some hard banking the missile flies past him (and he also picks up 2 stress points).

Turn 2 slow pilot phase:

SCOUT takes out the northern SA-10 site with an AGM-88

RAIDER misses the MiG-23

DODGER misses the MiG-23

TOON misses the MiG23

(this totally sucked btw)

End of turn 2:

After a whole lot of epic misses, the five planes in the south push forward while PYRO creeps ever closer and hopes to take out that pesky MiG-29 at least.

Enlarge Image

With only three turns left now we have no choice but to push through regardless of the bandits in front of us. Gulp...
Black lives matter!

WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Good stuff and one lucky MIG-23
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

WYBaugh wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:41 pm Good stuff and one lucky MIG-23
He’s a pretty badassed pilot.
Black lives matter!

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Hopefully we've burned through a few of his nine lives...
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I'm sure I wrote that guy's name on one of these, just having a bit of trouble remembering which one it was.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Turn 3:

Sticks hand in CUP of DOOM and...no bandit! Yea us!

Fast pilots phase:

No fast pilots with AtA ordinance and no one has any SA points left so just gotta sit back and take what's coming to us...

Bandit/Sites attack:

The Mirage III vectors in on SCOUT and fires off a missile but the ECM pod on SCOUT's plane works its magic and the missile isn't able to lock on.

The MiG-23 takes a shot at DODGER but ECM wins the day and the approaching missile goes wide and misses DODGER. But a missile from the MiG-29 speeds toward DODGER who goes into evasive maneuvers, trying desperately to get out of the missile's path. The missile explodes and DODGER is caught in the blast. He's forced to drop all his remaining ordinance and the ECM pod is sheared clean off the fighter. DODGER maintains control of his aircraft but other than his guns, he won't be able to fire anything else at any bandits that may show up. (he also gains 3 stress points)

Slow pilots phase:

PYRO has had enough of that MiG-29 and launches a Sidewinder at the bandit. The MiG doesn't detect the plane that launched the missile that kills him.

RAIDER launches his last missile at the Mirage III and downs the bandit.

SCOUT takes out the SA-15 in the west.

PYRO flies into the target zone, maintaining his high altitude for now until that AA gun is taken out. The other 5 planes begin their final approach towards the command post.

Enlarge Image
Black lives matter!

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

"Dammit, where's that suppressive fire!?"

I think you can attempt to suppress an enemy bandit/site attack even if you're planning on attacking later on or have already attacked, once per attack, as long as the unit doing the suppression is in range. So it's generally better to blow a missile counter than to take a hit.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:59 pm "Dammit, where's that suppressive fire!?"

I think you can attempt to suppress an enemy bandit/site attack even if you're planning on attacking later on or have already attacked, once per attack, as long as the unit doing the suppression is in range. So it's generally better to blow a missile counter than to take a hit.
Yeah, I remembered to do that in turn 2 but forgot this turn. Sorry Dodger... :(
Black lives matter!

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Good thing I brushed up on my barrel rolls before heading out.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Turn 4:

Lucked out again and drew a no bandit counter. Suck it random event!

Fast pilots phase: none

Bandits/Sites:

The MiG-23 has many targets to choose from and he chooses...SCOUT! But his ECM pod does its jamming magic and the missile flies harmlessly past SCOUT's F-18.

Slow pilots phase:

After much sneaking around PYRO gets to drop one of his bombs, a GBU-16 and causes 2 hits worth of damage.

SCOUT takes out the S-60 site with his AGM-154 (very glad to have made that impulse buy) so now the target is safe for planes to make their bomb run at low altitude.

RAIDER, BOSTON and DODGER try to bring down the MiG with their guns but the bandit easily avoids them ("easily"=really bad rolls. Didn't bother with using TOON due to the WP AtA penalty plus his -1 AtA modifier anb shouldn't have even tried with BOSTON due to his negative modifiers.)

RAIDER and DODGER stay with the MiG to keep him occupied while the rest of the planes descend to lower altitudes and make their bomb run.

Enlarge Image
Black lives matter!

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

It's the astigmatism, I tell ya. Messes up my ability to focus on fast moving targets. :(

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The final turn...

Never, ever mock the random event card because when you do a nasty MiG-29 will show up...

Enlarge Image

Fast pilots phase:

BOSTON drops his Mk83 bombs and scores 4 hits!

Bandits:

The MiG-23 makes a pass at DODGER but his attack is thrown off by an AIM-9 fired by SCOUT. The MiG-29 lets off a missile at DODGER but with some impressive flying skills he avoids being caught by the missile (receives 1 stress but he's still in the "okay" range).

Slow pilots phase:

PYRO drops the rest of his payload but both Mk-83s miss the target.

TOON drops his bombs and scores 4 hits.

SCOUT flies over the command post and drops a pair of Mk82s, scoring 4 hits. (took a gamble and reserved one Mk82 for any nasty events, betting on his +3 AtG DRM to save the day)

Yea, everyone begins the flight home. But there's one move event card to draw....

Oh, piss off!

Enlarge Image

As the planes fly back to the carrier some SAM vehicles lock on to the planes. SCOUT drops his last Mk82 and gets one vehicle while another SAM vehicle is able to fire off a missile which finds its way towards DODGER but it narrowly misses him (inflicts yet another stress point).

Eventually all the planes make it back to the carrier and day 1 operations are complete!
Black lives matter!

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

"Jeez, buddy, no wonder they call you Dodger. You got a missile magnet in that plane or what?"

Edit: The good part about all those crappy event cards is that they don't get cycled back into the deck, so we now have better odds of getting something good.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:07 pm "Jeez, buddy, no wonder they call you Dodger. You got a missile magnet in that plane or what?"

Edit: The good part about all those crappy event cards is that they don't get cycled back into the deck, so we now have better odds of getting something good.
:lol:
I was thinking the same thing!

Also, whoo hoo! Direct hit!

Black Lives Matter

WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

PYRO drops the rest of his payload but both Mk-83s miss the target.
Story of my life :(
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I get a vacation after that, right?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I went and Googled all the armaments to check them out. Pretty interesting. All new stuff from when I was in the air force......125 years ago. :?
I worked on B-52s.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Post-Gulf War, they removed the tail gunner position, leaving all those officers unsupervised by any enlisted personnel.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

They are all the H models now. I worked on D,E,F,Gs.
The models that had the gunners sitting with the crew up front were the waiters for the officers. They were in charge of the coffee and the food.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Post-mission briefing:

Cleared out the SAMs and pummeled the target expending all of our ordinance by the end. Poor Dodger was a missile magnet but his impressive flying skills kept him alive. So after the first day of hostilities...

YYbaugh/PYRO: Successfully snuck past bandits and managed to even shoot one down. Inflicted two hits worth of damage on the target. Earns 2 stress points for the mission which puts him right on the edge of being shaken so he'll sit the next one out.

Dbt/BOSTON: Took out a SAM site and did a good job with his bomb run, scoring 4 hits on the target. Gets 2 stress points for the mission and is still okay to fly but undecided about whether to rest him or not.

Archnerd/DODGER: Kind of a mixed bag against bandits. Out of 6 AtA attacks only 3 struck home. His value however was drawing the attention from some MiGs and he performed that job admirably and wasn't shot down! It was a bit of a stressful day for him, with 6 stress points earned so he'll be sitting the next mission out.

TheMix/TOON: Some MiGs tangled with him but he outflew them. Scored 4 hits on the target and has 3 stress points after the mission. He's pretty fit to fly and will probably be on the next mission.

Gbasden/RAIDER: A good day for him, taking out a bunch of SAM sites and 2 Mirage IIIs. 4 stress points for him, leaving him shaken however so he'll rest up.

NickAragua/SCOUT: An AtG wizard, one-shotting all his ground targets due to his +3 AtG modifier, scoring 4 hits on the command post and bailing DODGER out by suppressing a MiG with an AIM-9. 3 stress points for him in the end and even though he's okay to fly would like to rest him if possible.

Everyone earns 1XP point for their efforts. PANTHER and SHEPHERD are up for the next mission. TOON will probably join them and we'll see how many more planes we need to launch depending on the target.
Black lives matter!

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Mission planning:

The first target under consideration is a power plant located in Northern Iran.

Enlarge Image

It's a key infrastructure target, with an infra value of 3 so if we destroy it, the number of hits needed to destroy a target is reduced by 2. Also, the "overkill" keyword means that if we get 13 or more hits we gain an additional VP. On the other hand, it's pretty far north with a -3 WP penalty and 2 stress points after the mission. Would also need to use 6 planes to get the optimal amount of AtG ordinance to destroy it and there's 6 SAM sites plus one additional due to our current intel level in the target zone.

Let's see what other targets are on the list...

GENERAL QUARTERS,GENERAL QUARTERS. Multiple hostile contacts approaching the carrier group. Launch the alert fighters.

Enlarge Image

Now this changes everything since this is a "scramble" mission. Drawing from the target deck stops immediately and this is now the primary mission of the day due to the imminent threat posed to the carrier group. PANTHER and SHEPHERD are the alert fighters launched for this mission and now we need to decide who the other two pilots are that will join them. Going to load up with some AIM-120s to try to take out as many bombers as possible at a distance. Once all the bombers are destroyed we can bug out at the end of the turn regardless of how many bandits are left.
Black lives matter!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

This might be a real short cruise.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:42 pm This might be a real short cruise.
Oh I don’t know, I kind of like our odds. The bombers we’re targeting have a +2 to hit modifier so that can mitigate the negative AtA modifiers that some of our pilots have. And after we shoot all the bombers down, mission over and we’ve saved the day!
Black lives matter!

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:26 pm The bombers we’re targeting have a +2 to hit modifier so that can mitigate the negative AtA modifiers that some of our pilots have.
I fly good in the airplane!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:04 pm
$iljanus wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:26 pm The bombers we’re targeting have a +2 to hit modifier so that can mitigate the negative AtA modifiers that some of our pilots have.
I fly good in the airplane!
Hmmmm, goes to look up Blackhawk’s stats...

Well, you’re quick on the draw but perhaps just a tad too excitable as I look at your modifiers.
Black lives matter!

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I'm still a bit dizzy from the last one, hopefully you all can handle this one without me.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Revvin' up your engine
Listen to her howlin' roar
Metal under tension
Beggin' you to touch and go
Highway to the danger zone
Ride into the danger zone
Headin' into twilight
Spreadin' out her wings tonight
She got you jumpin' off the track
And shovin' into overdrive
I'll take you
Ridin' into the danger zone

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:37 pm Revvin' up your engine
Listen to her howlin' roar
Metal under tension
Beggin' you to touch and go
Ride into the danger zone
Headin' into twilight
Spreadin' out her wings tonight
She got you jumpin' off the track
And shovin' into overdrive
I'll take you
Ridin' into the danger zone

That’s the spirit! Especially since you’re going out on this mission!
Black lives matter!

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

:shock:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
ManAboutNothing

Post by ManAboutNothing »

I'll just add that as an aside I made this for Sharpnel Games years ago: https://www.matrixgames.com/game/hornet-leader
I really enjoyed it, the board game itself is pretty awesome and slickly designed and Dan was very cool to talk to.
Derek
Very part-time indie developer and full time internet business tinkerer/failure/blunderer
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

ManAboutNothing wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:14 am I'll just add that as an aside I made this for Sharpnel Games years ago: https://www.matrixgames.com/game/hornet-leader
I really enjoyed it, the board game itself is pretty awesome and slickly designed and Dan was very cool to talk to.
What a small world! Was really easy to get back into the game again after it sat on the shelf for a while. I should dig out the Cthulu expansion which I haven't touched yet and play that.
Black lives matter!

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:14 pm
ManAboutNothing wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:14 am I'll just add that as an aside I made this for Sharpnel Games years ago: https://www.matrixgames.com/game/hornet-leader
What a small world! Was really easy to get back into the game again after it sat on the shelf for a while. I should dig out the Cthulu expansion which I haven't touched yet and play that.
I've never seen that in play, and the tabletop simulator mod doesn't have it, so that'd be freaking awesome.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Getting better after being sick for a short bit. Didn't take many notes for the next mission so it will be a short runthrough but I have some pics to set the scene.

Enlarge Image

Bringing the max amount of planes to hopefully provide enough missiles to take care of bandits that crop up. I'm also worried about the poor AtA skills that the pilots have so I'm taking TOON along for his SA point and designating him as flight leader so he can give it to PANTHER who has the "best" AtA skill of the group. Loading up on AIM-120s with the purpose of taking the bombers out from long range and leaving shortly afterwards.

Target bound event (upper text):

Enlarge Image

Not too useful for this mission but at least it's not throwing a wave of bandits at us.

Initial approach:

Enlarge Image

Drew some no bandit counters but we're immediately in range of two fighters from the start. Still hoping to take care of the bombers quickly.

Over target event (middle box):

Enlarge Image

Sigh, so much for hoping for another good card. Drew one no bandit counter but added one bandit.

Enlarge Image

Will continue this later. Again didn't make notes so it will be a short runthrough but I did finish the mission. It was somewhat, um, intense.
Black lives matter!