The Trump Impeachment Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kurth

Re: The Trump Impeachment Thread

Post by Kurth »

Holman wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:48 pm It's not beyond consideration that the war on Iran is Trump's way of buying Bolton's friendly testimony.
I had the same thought. Seems far-fetched, but . . .
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Hill
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is backing a resolution to change the Senate’s rules to allow for lawmakers to dismiss articles of impeachment against President Trump before the House sends them over.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:46 pm The Hill
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is backing a resolution to change the Senate’s rules to allow for lawmakers to dismiss articles of impeachment against President Trump before the House sends them over.
That's like a judge telling the DA not to bother trying a case, right? Shouldn't that always be up to the DA?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Paingod wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:49 am
That's like a judge telling the DA not to bother trying a case, right? Shouldn't that always be up to the DA?
It's more like the jury foreman ruling out evidence before the trial begins.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:10 am
Or the jury foreman refusing to have a trial?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well, a jury foreman that also literally has the on-off switch for the microphone the judge uses.

This isn’t really anything like ‘the senate is the jury’. They are also the entire legal system.

Roberts is just a game piece with little power here
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It's more like the defense attorney ruling out evidence before the trial begins.
FTFY!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Is everyone aware that the Senate can overrule any Chief Justice decision by a majority vote? So the Republicans really can make this whatever they want as long as they are willing to vote for it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Hill
Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) told reporters on Monday that the Senate Republican caucus doesn't have the votes to dismiss the articles of impeachment against President Trump, who endorsed an "outright dismissal" over the weekend.
Republicans have warned for months that they will not dismiss the two articles of impeachment against Trump, predicting a trial will end with votes on either acquitting or convicting him.

But Trump revived talk of trying to dismiss the articles over the weekend, saying the Senate was "giving credence" to the allegations against him by having a trial.
Dismissing the articles of impeachment would require 51 votes. Because no Democrats would support the effort, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) could afford to lose only two GOP senators and still successfully dismiss the articles.

Multiple Republicans, including Sens. Susan Collins (Maine) and Rob Portman (Ohio), have indicated they would oppose a motion to dismiss, arguing that both Trump's legal team and House impeachment managers should be able to make their case.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The Parnas Document dump is proving to be extremely creepy, if not downright terrifying:
Texts from Giuliani cronies, just released by House, are incredibly disturbing.

One text discusses unsavory characters in Ukraine willing to "help" with Yovanovitch for "a price"

A few weeks later Yovanovitch was told to leave immediately over concerns about her safety.
Bonus - Trump saying she would "go through some things"...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is absolutely stunning. During the House hearings we learned that Ambassador Yovanovich was ordered to leave Kiev at 1 am in the morning because of concerns for her security. Now we know why. I've read the Whatsapp and conversations and they are chilling. Giuliani's and Parnas' goons were monitoring the ambassador's location, movements, communications and security detail. They also say that they have someone "inside" the embassy. There is also mention of people offering to "help" for price, at which point the comment is made that you can get "anything" done in Ukraine for a price. Strangely, the person involved appears to be a Robert Hyde, who is a Republican donor and congressional candidate.

Several points here - the Democrats ought to immediately open an investigation into this and run with it. This is extremely serious stuff and deserves its own set of hearings. Secondly Republicans in the Senate need to think very carefully now. This just came out - what more is out there that might come foreward. If they acquit Trump in a perfunctory trial, and then more stuff comes out later, that's not going to be good news for them. I think this all just got a lot more interesting.
Last edited by Grifman on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:06 pm The Parnas Document dump is proving to be extremely creepy, if not downright terrifying:
Texts from Giuliani cronies, just released by House, are incredibly disturbing.

One text discusses unsavory characters in Ukraine willing to "help" with Yovanovitch for "a price"

A few weeks later Yovanovitch was told to leave immediately over concerns about her safety.
Bonus - Trump saying she would "go through some things"...
I thought about that but Trump's comment comes 2 to 3 months after she left Kiev. Who knows what he meant when he said that but it could not have been related to this.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Giuliani and Hyde come across as petty thugs. Yet another screw up from this idiot. Are we absolutely sure Giuliani isn’t working for Pelosi?
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Grifman wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:15 pm Secondly Republicans in the Senate need to think very carefully now. This just came out - what more is out there that might come foreward. If they acquit Trump in a perfunctory trial, and then more stuff comes out later, that's not going to be good news for them. I think this all just got a lot more interesting.
This is why Pelosi is smart to draw out the trial. Drip, drip, drip.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Schiff is the lead manager.

I don't know all of these congresspeople, but I've seen it mentioned that many of them have prosecutorial experience.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love that Schiff seems to revel in the role of Trumper boogeyman.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Dude, anyone watching the vote on sending impeachment articles???

Hardly anyone seems to be in attendance....

15 minutes to vote.
3 minutes left

Votes are 109/ 108 for/against

if Dems don't get in there, the Rep could actually vote this off right now. WTF?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Less than 2 mins left

122 for
129 against

what am I watching happen here?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

ok, I guess the timer isn't absolute - it's until there is a quorum. still. I am looking at 75 No Votes for dems vs 41 No Votes for Reps.

Dems need to start taking this shit as serious as it is.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:26 pm ok, I guess the timer isn't absolute - it's until there is a quorum. still. I am looking at 75 No Votes for dems vs 41 No Votes for Reps.

Calculated for maximum drama. Amazing come from behind victory!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Holman wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:25 am

Schiff is the lead manager.

I don't know all of these congresspeople, but I've seen it mentioned that many of them have prosecutorial experience.
Crow is my congresscritter. I think I like him. He's a former Army Ranger and before being elected last election, was a lawyer for a local firm. So he's at least got some experience.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:34 pm
Unagi wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:26 pm ok, I guess the timer isn't absolute - it's until there is a quorum. still. I am looking at 75 No Votes for dems vs 41 No Votes for Reps.

Calculated for maximum drama. Amazing come from behind victory!
Seriously gave me a heart attack. :P
malchior

Post by malchior »

Grifman wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:15 pmSecondly Republicans in the Senate need to think very carefully now. This just came out - what more is out there that might come foreward. If they acquit Trump in a perfunctory trial, and then more stuff comes out later, that's not going to be good news for them. I think this all just got a lot more interesting.
That math sounds right then you remember that the GOP *IS NOT AFRAID* of the public. They pick their voters in most cases. In the end nothing will happen.
Kraken wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:39 am
Grifman wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:15 pm Secondly Republicans in the Senate need to think very carefully now. This just came out - what more is out there that might come foreward. If they acquit Trump in a perfunctory trial, and then more stuff comes out later, that's not going to be good news for them. I think this all just got a lot more interesting.
This is why Pelosi is smart to draw out the trial. Drip, drip, drip.
Woah there. Chris Cillizza said that Pelosi lost out big...oh wait that means you are 100% automatically right.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

malchior wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:55 pm
Grifman wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:15 pmSecondly Republicans in the Senate need to think very carefully now. This just came out - what more is out there that might come foreward. If they acquit Trump in a perfunctory trial, and then more stuff comes out later, that's not going to be good news for them. I think this all just got a lot more interesting.
That math sounds right then you remember that the GOP *IS NOT AFRAID* of the public. They pick their voters in most cases. In the end nothing will happen.
It won't matter for most Republicans but those in potentially close races like Gardner, Tillis, Collins, McSally have to be worried.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Tulsi Gabbard voted "present." What in the actual fuck?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's apparently how she's protesting all the fighting and dysfunction. If I were in charge, I'd ask her to clarify her abstention. Is she in disagreement? Doesn't feel informed enough? Doesn't feel this is worth the discussion? I'm kind of a stickler for these things and this is important - she should be on record as more than a wet-noodle abstention.

Regardless this could possibly be in the death of media, but it's also good here - crackdown on press access during impeachment:
When the articles of impeachment are delivered to the Senate, a procession full of pomp and circumstance, just one video camera and no still photographers will be allowed to document the historic moment. No audio recording at all will be permitted, leaving radio reporters empty-handed.
It's almost like the GOP wants to make sure there's no evidence this took place. I have no doubt they'd gas reporters if they thought they could get away with it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The floor of the U.S. Senate had to be briefly evacuated today when the Christian Bible that was being used to swear in the hundred senators who will be jurors in the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump exploded into a mass of flaming debris.

“You could feel that it was starting to get a little hot when the Democrats swore that they’d be able to treat the allegations against President Trump with impartiality, but when the Republicans began swearing they’d consider only the Constitution and the law, the amount of smoke coming from the Bible made it very difficult to breathe,” said Bryce Langdon, now eyebrowless senate page.

“Then Mitch McConnell reached his hand towards it and whomph, it went up like kindling.”
https://www.thebeaverton.com/2020/01/bi ... to-flames/

:wink:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Aww the poor baby needs his diapy changed.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For some reason the all caps outburst cracked me up.
Covfefe!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm confused. Wasn't he already impeached? I thought the next step was sending the Articles of Impeachment over to the Senate?
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:44 pm I'm confused. Wasn't he already impeached? I thought the next step was sending the Articles of Impeachment over to the Senate?
I *think* one of the many Republican narratives held that impeachment didn't count until the House handed off the articles. And I'll guarantee you this: After the Senate exonerates him, he will refuse to acknowledge that he was ever impeached. "The do-nothing Democrats, they tried, they tried to impeach me, complete witch hunt, perfect phone call. And you know what? They failed." And the MAGA hats will nod. More fake news.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

WTF is a "perfect phone call." Even his lies don't make sense.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:16 am WTF is a "perfect phone call."
If you have to ask, you've never made one.

It's why everyone is asking.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

NIXON GOT IMPEACHED FOR MAKING A PERFECT BREAK-IN!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Funny.

Accept we need to remember that Nixon, unlike Trump, was actually not impeached.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:For some reason the all caps outburst cracked me up.
Old people are funny that way. "HEY SEND MORE PICTURES OF OUR GRANDCHILDREN" or "ARE YOU GOING TO SEND ME TO THE HOME?" or MEXICANS ARE TAKING ALL THE JOBS, EXCEPT JOSE THE GARDENER HE'S NICE"
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:12 am
hepcat wrote:For some reason the all caps outburst cracked me up.
Old people are funny that way. "HEY SEND MORE PICTURES OF OUR GRANDCHILDREN" or "ARE YOU GOING TO SEND ME TO THE HOME?" or MEXICANS ARE TAKING ALL THE JOBS, EXCEPT JOSE THE GARDENER HE'S NICE"
I'm watching this on some of my relatives FB walls. Some, who I haven't turned off, as they have the presence of mind not post propaganda still have friends whose GRANDCHILDREN KEEP POSTING FAKE NEWS ABOUT THE CLIMATE CHANGE HOAX
Holman

Post by Holman »

Details are beginning to come out about Trump's legal team for the Senate trial.

It includes Ken Starr, apparently because Republicans don't understand irony.

It also includes Alan Dershowitz, apparently because Republicans don't think being closely associated with Jeffrey Epstein sex parties is a bad look.

Also this:

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:44 am

It also includes Alan Dershowitz, apparently because Republicans don't think being closely associated with Jeffrey Epstein sex parties is a bad look.

Trump was at those parties. Dershowittz doesn't bring any additional taint to the festival.

MYT