Baldur's Gate 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Baldur's Gate 3 (now confirmed)

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:36 am I'm not familiar with this developer's work
They're the Divinity series. You can currently get their older stuff for $3.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:36 am I'm not familiar with this developer's work or with the latest AD&D rules. Can we infer that combat will proceed in segments and turns, based on action points? Please assure me that it won't be a realtime clickfest.

BG2 was one of the greatest games of all time, and I hope BG3 will be worthy. I like what I've read so far.
They haven't said yet (that I've seen) if it will be turn based or real time with pause. It won't be a Diablo clickfest, I'm sure. The fact that it is based on the D&D rules doesn't affect it one way or the other (and it hasn't be 'AD&D' in almost 20 years. ;) ) 2nd Edition AD&D was turn based on the tabletop, yet neither Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 was. All it really translated to in the games was how often your character acted when not paused. I'd guess that it will most likely be real time with pause, like the originals, but their other big games were all turn based, so who knows?

My biggest hope is that it isn't exaggerated and silly the way way Divinity tended to be at times. It worked for Divinity, but I don't want 'fantasy satire' for Baldur's Gate.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:44 am
Kraken wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:36 am I'm not familiar with this developer's work
They're the Divinity series. You can currently get their older stuff for $3.
Hmm...I think I can find $3 that I don't need, but are they worth my time? I'm not a big fan of fantasy games in general, but I do love me some BG.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's interesting to snoop in Swen Lincke's Twitter feed. He had a lot of fun teasing the BG3 unveiling. :lol:

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
JCC

Post by JCC »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:59 am Hmm...I think I can find $3 that I don't need, but are they worth my time? I'm not a big fan of fantasy games in general, but I do love me some BG.
For $3 you will likely get their original Divinity games which are more action RPG but with good story/depth. Their more recent and heralded games are the 2 Divinity: Original Sin games. These are turn based and probably would be more to your liking.

I would imagine BG3 will be fantastic based on how beloved both Original Sin games are - neither of which have I finished (in fact I haven't even started the 2nd one). I may need to finally get through the first one soon.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:36 am I'm not familiar with this developer's work or with the latest AD&D rules. Can we infer that combat will proceed in segments and turns, based on action points? Please assure me that it won't be a realtime clickfest.

BG2 was one of the greatest games of all time, and I hope BG3 will be worthy. I like what I've read so far.
Rest assured, it won't be a realtime clickfest.

Larian Studios' latest game -- Divinity: Original Sin 2 -- relies on strictly turn-based combat with action points. You can read a decent write-up of the consideration that went into the turn-based combat of Divinity: Original Sin 2 here. And if you're interested, you can see a demonstration of exactly how combat works in Divinity: Original Sin 2 below:

Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

GOG.com has Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced for $5 each so I picked them up.

I think I beat BG1 but I know I never finished BG2. I plan on just blowing through both of them on Easy mode in preparation.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:51 am
I think I beat BG1 but I know I never finished BG2. I plan on just blowing through both of them on Easy mode in preparation.
80 hours later...
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
disarm

Post by disarm »

YellowKing wrote: I think I beat BG1 but I know I never finished BG2. I plan on just blowing through both of them on Easy mode in preparation.
Good luck with that...BG2 is some enormous that changing the difficulty won't make much difference. 80 hours is probably still about right...took me well over 100 to finish it with the expansion back in the day. It's worth every minute you'll send though.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

DOS2 looks quite good. I might just have to get that.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:51 am GOG.com has Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced for $5 each so I picked them up.

I started a run through BG1 last year, thinking I would *finally* finish it, but something else shiny came along and I dropped it, just like I've done at least 2, maybe 3 times before. It's good, and it definitely has that old AD&D/2nd edition vibe, which I was looking for, but for whatever reason I just never make it all the way through.

I do intend to return to my current save game at some point. Maybe even soon. BG2 seems right out at the moment.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Kraken wrote:DOS2 looks quite good. I might just have to get that.
It really is great. Possibly the best RPG I’ve played since The Witcher 3.
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:43 pm
Kraken wrote:DOS2 looks quite good. I might just have to get that.
It really is great. Possibly the best RPG I’ve played since The Witcher 3.
Amen.

As far as I'm concerned, Divinity: Original Sin 2 is the pinnacle of modern CRPG design (and the primary reason why I'm eager to see what Larian Studios are able to do with D&D 5th edition and Baldur's Gate 3).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:59 am

Hmm...I think I can find $3 that I don't need, but are they worth my time? I'm not a big fan of fantasy games in general, but I do love me some BG.
Do your reading first. Divinity: Original Sin and DOS2 are very different games from the earlier Divine Divinity series. Same developer, still good games, but not at all the same type of experience.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:10 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:59 am

Do your reading first. Divinity: Original Sin and DOS2 are very different games from the earlier Divine Divinity series. Same developer, still good games, but not at all the same type of experience.
I put DOS2 on my Steam wishlist. Probably will hit the buy button pretty soon. I'm in a gaming slump, and it might be just the change of pace that I need to get fired up again. (I also looked at Witcher3 GOTY, but, oddly, it has no wishlist button.) I can't remember the last time I played a good adventure game/dungeon crawl -- maybe not since BG2 and Icewind Dale.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:55 pmI put DOS2 on my Steam wishlist. Probably will hit the buy button pretty soon.
STEAM Summer Sale will start 6/25, FYI. Not sure if it'll be cheaper than the current price, but there you go. :ninja:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:55 pm I also looked at Witcher3 GOTY, but, oddly, it has no wishlist button.
You can wishlist the base game, but the GOTY is set up as a package bundling the game with the paid DLC (which is presumably why it has no wishlist button).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hope they do it right. I really loved Divinine Divinity back in the day as I said but I really disliked to the point of almost hating Original Sin. It had no joy for me and frustrated me with the endless talking to myself. I love party member banter but when I have to choose the chat for both sides in the convo Im just talking to myself and it felt so silly and useless.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The original sin series is easily in my top 5 list for all time greatest rpg games ever made. To each their own, I guess.
Covfefe!
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:27 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:55 pmI put DOS2 on my Steam wishlist. Probably will hit the buy button pretty soon.
STEAM Summer Sale will start 6/25, FYI. Not sure if it'll be cheaper than the current price, but there you go. :ninja:
Is that a confirmed date somewhere? I haven't seen it anywhere, certainly not on Steam itself!

I will be out of town for the next 10 days. Not sure how much access to Steam I will have during that time. If I don't have to worry about it until the 25th, that would be great!
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:27 pm
I probably should've bought it at 25% off rather than gambling on a better deal later on, but I've got a dozen other games on my wishlist if DOS2 doesn't play ball. Now that the developer has come out about BG3 they should want to distribute DOS2 as widely as possible. Money is not a real obstacle; I'm just cheap. :oops:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Please tell me this is releasing on the Switch! I’ve been having such a blast playing through the BG1 and Dragonspear games on Switch, and I’m about to start BG2. Would love to keep going with 3.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kurth wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:28 pm Please tell me this is releasing on the Switch! I’ve been having such a blast playing through the BG1 and Dragonspear games on Switch, and I’m about to start BG2. Would love to keep going with 3.
I'd be really surprised (pleasantly so) if it were a simultaneous release, but I can certainly see it being ported at some point.

By all accounts, the Switch port of Divinity OS2 is excellent.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.ign.com/articles/baldurs-ga ... t-gameplay

Baldur's Gate 3 Will Release in Early Access Later This Year
It wouldn’t be the first time Larian has released one of its expansive role-playing games in early access. Divinity: Original Sin 2 first released as early access in September 2016, and finally launched in full almost exactly a year later in 2017. During its first stage of early access, Larian only had the prologue, first chapter, and a transition to act two available to play. Hasbro and Larian have made no further comments regarding what amount of content will release during this early access period, or what state it will be in. After its full release, Divinity: Original Sin 2 also received ongoing updates, culminating in a Definitive Edition in August 2018, which came with a wide array of improvements.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I can see the benefits of EA for some games, but an RPG like Baldurs Gate 3, which I have to assume is going to be pretty solidly rooted in its storytelling, is an odd choice. I won't go for it simply because I don't want to spoil anything about the plot until I can play it all of the way through.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:27 pm I can see the benefits of EA for some games, but an RPG like Baldurs Gate 3, which I have to assume is going to be pretty solidly rooted in its storytelling, is an odd choice. I won't go for it simply because I don't want to spoil anything about the plot until I can play it all of the way through.
This right here. I wouldn't want to play a portion of the story, repeatedly, before the game being launched officially.

I loved the first two BG games and look forward to picking this up, reviews willing.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I am all in on an EA release, I played the snot out of OS2 EA and it actually improved my enjoyment upon full release as I had all the nuances and areas down pat.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Paingod wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:52 am
Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:27 pm I can see the benefits of EA for some games, but an RPG like Baldurs Gate 3, which I have to assume is going to be pretty solidly rooted in its storytelling, is an odd choice. I won't go for it simply because I don't want to spoil anything about the plot until I can play it all of the way through.
This right here. I wouldn't want to play a portion of the story, repeatedly, before the game being launched officially.

I loved the first two BG games and look forward to picking this up, reviews willing.
I’ll probably pick it up in EA (since I know I’ll buy it anyways), just to familiarize myself with the controls and such. Won’t spend much time with it though, as I much prefer to play a fully baked game than one they’re still working on.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Info from everyone's favorite site, detailing 13 things you should know.

First of all, that header image? NOPE

But the rest? Not at all what I expected.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont think BG3 will be for me. I hardly ever paused the game in combat in the first two. Id just grab them all and target one guy at a time and move on to the next. As Ive gotten older I want more speed in RPG not turn based slowness and such. I really disliked Original Sin and didn't bother with OS2. So guess I may be out from the start.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A couple of observations and a prediction:

First, is that this seems like it will the D&D 5th Edition rules.

Second, it takes place ~100 years after the originals. That puts it into the current Forgotten Realms timeline, which is now ~110 years after the events of BG2.

The prediction: Wizards of the Coast will release tie-in content. They love to hook their various properties together, with events of one impacting the others.

As to the content, I'm pretty happy with it. If they're going to one or the other, I'd prefer all turn based to all real-time. D&D is a tactical game that should be about careful decision making during combat, not wild clicking. I love that they're (apparently) using the 5e rules, the first time they've been used in a video game. Also, you could fit your whole head into one of those tentacle suckers! :binky:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Worldwide reveal
Spoiler:
Opening cinematic
Spoiler:
Gameplay
Spoiler:
IGN 2 Hours Into Baldur's Gate 3 and We're Sold

On Steam

Even the intro cinematic went so slow I wanted to start skipping ahead.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just got around to the cinematic.
Good: The dragon rider was a Githyanki. That's interesting, and really shows what the central conflict is likely to be. I don't think I've seen them in any other games.
Bad: The Nautiloid. Please, no Spelljammer. Please.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm curious about how they're going to tie it to the original. It's 100 years later, but is it a sequel in name only, or will the events of the originals actually have some influence here? There are plenty of NPCs they could bring over. The elves, dwarves, and gnomes are fair game, and the halflings and half-elves if they were young. Humans would be dead, but Minsc and Boo are still around (or, rather, around again.)

Also, Dragonborn have been shoehorned into the setting since then. I wonder if they'll be playable?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Pretty sure other than the nautiloid ship it's not going to be Spelljammer related. The nautiloids are tied with the mindflayer culture even when it's just the Astral plane. Don't think the game is going to have us Spelljamming all over
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

IceBear wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:43 pmDon't think the game is going to have us Spelljamming all over
I'm pretty sure if they did, there'd be a collective WTF from the entire internet. I owned the box set and can only say the 80s were a weird, weird time. I'd love to see a history on how that campaign setting came to be because it was bonkers.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Well it is one of the settings that people seem to be asking for in a lot of polls but I don't think BG3 would be the way to do it :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow. That surprises me. I guess I grossly underestimated how popular it was (is?).