[series] The Mandalorian ......Disney

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: [series] The Mandalorian ......Disney

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:59 pm Wouldn't the collapsing iris door in the bar retract if there was a person in it? Otherwise would be a lot of sliced up patrons.
How do you think they get the food?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well he did shoot the controls out. Probably fried the sensor.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:59 pm Wouldn't the collapsing iris door in the bar retract if there was a person in it? Otherwise would be a lot of sliced up patrons.
I think we're to assume that shooting the mechanism might break the safeties.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

The Star Wars universe in general doesn't appear to have very stringent safety standards.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

More to think about (with a Rise of Skywalker spoiler or two):
Spoiler:
Gideon sawed through his TIE Fighter hull with some weird looking sword. I read up on it and it is a Darksabre that is super old and there is only one of them. Was Gideon ever a Mandalorian? There seems to be a lot to that guy that we will soon discover and I'm excited that we'll get more Giancarlo Esposito.

TIE Fighters are tough. As we've seen in The Mandalorian and The Rise of Skywalker, they can explode and leave the pilot unharmed. Must have some kickass airbags.
Did all TIE Fighters have wings that folded, allowing the pilot to get in and out on their own? I'm guessing they didn't considering Kylo's old-school TIE was shown standing straight up in The Rise of Skywalker, but maybe that one had it's collapsible wing mechanism damaged when that Death Star blew up and crashed into the ocean moon, where it sat untouched for decades. I mean that's a reasonable bit of damage, right?

edit - Never mind. It's an Outland TIE, which was a new model never seen in the films.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

McNutt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:56 pm More to think about (with a Rise of Skywalker spoiler or two):
Spoiler:
Gideon sawed through his TIE Fighter hull with some weird looking sword. I read up on it and it is a Darksabre that is super old and there is only one of them. Was Gideon ever a Mandalorian? There seems to be a lot to that guy that we will soon discover and I'm excited that we'll get more Giancarlo Esposito.

TIE Fighters are tough. As we've seen in The Mandalorian and The Rise of Skywalker, they can explode and leave the pilot unharmed. Must have some kickass airbags.
Did all TIE Fighters have wings that folded, allowing the pilot to get in and out on their own? I'm guessing they didn't considering Kylo's old-school TIE was shown standing straight up in The Rise of Skywalker, but maybe that one had it's collapsible wing mechanism damaged when that Death Star blew up and crashed into the ocean moon, where it sat untouched for decades. I mean that's a reasonable bit of damage, right?

edit - Never mind. It's an Outland TIE, which was a new model never seen in the films.
Spoiler:
The Empire did a purge on Mandalore and basically killed as many Mando's as they could find on the planet. Gideon was involved in that purge and my guess is that he stole it.
It is generally considering the mantle of Mando leadership. I "think" there was a Mando Jedi a long, long, long, long time ago and this was his lightsaber.

In the Star Wars Rebels cartoon (which is canon) The Inquisitors had Tie Fighters that folded their wings.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

McNutt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:19 pm I really liked this show. It gives me hope that Disney will see that the Star Wars universe has so much potential for stories that don't involve Skywalkers.

One question I have that some of you more well-read fans might know:
Spoiler:
The Armorer said that the Jedi were the enemy of the Mandalorians. Where did this come from? The only Mandalorians ever shown were Jango and Boba Fett. Jango was an enemy of the Jedi, but was Boba? He was just a bounty hunter, so somewhat neutral, right?

Also, she explained the Jedi as though this was some secret that few people knew about. The Jedi were basically the police of the galaxy only a few decades earlier. How would so few people know about the Jedi or the Force? That's like the general population not knowing that World War 2 every happened.
This takes place in the Outer Rim. I believe that it is canon that the Jedi never really made it out this far in mass numbers. Maybe a few here and there. They generally stuck top the Core Worlds, so I find it plausible that they are either legends or just not heard of. It's just too far out in the boonies.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I thought there were representatives from every known planet in the galaxy in the Republic. So even if you had some poor planet, if it was colonized it had membership. And since the Republic used the Jedi as their police/negotiators, everyone would know about them. I guess not though and I can actually see that not happening. I don't think information flows as freely in Star Wars and we would think.
morlac

Post by morlac »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:00 am If they spent the same amount per episode as HBO did for the last season of GoT, then something was out of whack in one of those productions. Regardless of how you felt about the quality of plot of the seasons, I don't think the quality of production on The Mandalorian was anywhere close to GoT*, and as you noted the GoT episodes were much longer. I thought the space effects were fine, but planetary CGI seemed to be lacking to me, particularly speeders. One early scene that really stood out as sub-par to me was in the first or second episode (I think) where there was a far-off shot of multiple speeders going over barren terrain. It just looked really hokey. And some of the practical effects/costumes were pretty bad (such as Hellboy and tentacle-head-woman).

* The possible exception being the battle for Winterfell, where I couldn't actually see much to determine the production values.
Yea, I didn't see a single Starbucks cup in the Mandolorian...disappointing ;)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

morlac wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:19 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:00 am If they spent the same amount per episode as HBO did for the last season of GoT, then something was out of whack in one of those productions. Regardless of how you felt about the quality of plot of the seasons, I don't think the quality of production on The Mandalorian was anywhere close to GoT*, and as you noted the GoT episodes were much longer. I thought the space effects were fine, but planetary CGI seemed to be lacking to me, particularly speeders. One early scene that really stood out as sub-par to me was in the first or second episode (I think) where there was a far-off shot of multiple speeders going over barren terrain. It just looked really hokey. And some of the practical effects/costumes were pretty bad (such as Hellboy and tentacle-head-woman).

* The possible exception being the battle for Winterfell, where I couldn't actually see much to determine the production values.
Yea, I didn't see a single Starbucks cup in the Mandolorian...disappointing ;)
Right? They probably had to settle for Folgers or something instead of getting quality like Starbucks.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
morlac

Post by morlac »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:41 pm The Star Wars universe in general doesn't appear to have very stringent safety standards.
Dar-win was a secret Sith Lord, Awards will be given.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

McNutt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:37 pm I thought there were representatives from every known planet in the galaxy in the Republic. So even if you had some poor planet, if it was colonized it had membership. And since the Republic used the Jedi as their police/negotiators, everyone would know about them. I guess not though and I can actually see that not happening. I don't think information flows as freely in Star Wars and we would think.
Star Wars universe has FTL comm or not?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Given that there was a real-time call from Chancellor Valorum on Coruscant with the cabinet on Naboo, I'm going to say that there is.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

McNutt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:37 pm I thought there were representatives from every known planet in the galaxy in the Republic. So even if you had some poor planet, if it was colonized it had membership. And since the Republic used the Jedi as their police/negotiators, everyone would know about them. I guess not though and I can actually see that not happening. I don't think information flows as freely in Star Wars and we would think.
I don't believe that this is accurate. It is mostly the Core Worlds that have representation, but even then, not everyone does. Take Naboo. The Gungans didn't have any representation in the senate themselves.
The Outer Rim is basically an almost lawless area with minimal to none governing bodies. It's why the Mandalorian works as a sort of western. Consider it like the Wild Wild West during the initial spread towards the West..Except it just stayed that way.
Some of those outer worlds did get Imperial presence, but not all of them and the Empire is pretty tight-lipped on what news it shares.
msteelers

[series] The Mandalorian ......Disney

Post by msteelers »

Tatooine is in the Outer Rim, and they new what Jedis were during Episode 1. But by Episode 4, they were reduced to myth. I think we just have to accept that the empire did a great job erasing them from history.

Also, there is something to the idea that the Outer Rim is so far out that jedis weren’t there regularly. Qui-Gon makes a statement along the lines of Anakin going unnoticed by the Jedi because they were so far out in the sticks.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:25 pm $350 can get your own baby Yoda.
It's only $300 too much.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Probably not even soft and cuddly.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I just watched this over the last week or so. I really enjoyed it. It wasn't what I was expecting, but I thought it was well done. The last episode also had the single funniest Star Wars scene ever. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
morlac

Post by morlac »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:32 pm Probably not even soft and cuddly.
I'm not sure the real one is either. Cute yes. Nothing about baby Yoda says soft and cuddly.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Someone will make a sex toy out of Baby Yoda. Mark my words.
Covfefe!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:11 pm Someone will make a sex toy out of Baby Yoda. Mark my words.
I'm working on your order. Be patient.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Don't forget the Bea Arthur attachment!
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:49 pm Don't forget the Bea Arthur attachment!
Would that be the head or the genitals?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:22 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:49 pm Don't forget the Bea Arthur attachment!
Would that be the head or the genitals?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sorry, don't forget BOTH Bea Arthur attachments!
Covfefe!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Do you want to borrow this while you wait?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I suspect that my bank account will need to be $350 lighter at some point soon.
My wife loves Yoda in general and when “Baby Yoda” came on the scene she practically exploded with excitement.
I bought her a life size Yoda a long time ago that sits in our bedroom to this day (it’s a prequel version, not the Dagobah one) and it’s one of the few old things we have that has almost no wear and tear. It’s only missing the very tip of his lightsaber.
We’ll have to make room on the dresser to put the next to each other probably. It won’t even matter if it’s not soft.
I think it would have been cool if there were interchange arms so you could put him in a few different poses, but it’s not really meant for that.
I’m actually pretty jazzed to see the look on her face when she gets it.
It’s close to X-mas so I might wait until then to spring it on her or it might just be a nice surprise, no reason gift.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Polygon
The Mandalorian season 2 will debut in October.
Holman

Post by Holman »

OK, we got Disney Plus and my kids started The Mandalorian immediately.

A few days later, when they made me sit and catch up with them, I fell out of my chair when I realized I was seeing Werner Herzog as a post-imperial bureaucrat/warlord or whatever the hell he was.

I think now I have to make the kids watch Aguirre, the Wrath of God.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Season 2 trailer dropped earlier today.

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

That seems very... 4/20.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Meal wrote:That seems very... 4/20.
Way to ruin it. :)
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I was very concerned for a bit.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:37 pm OK, we got Disney Plus and my kids started The Mandalorian immediately.

A few days later, when they made me sit and catch up with them, I fell out of my chair when I realized I was seeing Werner Herzog as a post-imperial bureaucrat/warlord or whatever the hell he was.

I think now I have to make the kids watch Aguirre, the Wrath of God.
Herzog has even been a villain in a damn Jack Reacher film. The man is just...and this should go without saying...eccentric.

Also, exposing children to Klaus Kinski is considered child abuse by many.
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The Mandalorian is a PC RPG. The author makes a strong case.
2) It’s all about loot grinding

Enlarge Image

When Mando does jobs, Mando gets paid in Beskar, the mystical metal at the heart of his near-extinct culture. And once he’s stacked up enough of this conveniently generic metal, he takes it to the Armorer, a lady who holds a dual role as a blacksmith and a priest of some kind. Based on the amount of ingots he’s collected, she’ll make Mando new bits of armour, that will increase his stats.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

News dropped yesterday that new directors for Season 2 include Peyton Reed and Robert Rodriguez.

Really interested in the Rodriguez ep.
Hodor.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I posted a thread about it, but if you want more Mandalorian backstory, check out the final 4 episode arc of Season 7 of the Clone Wars show on D+ (episodes 9-12). It details the Siege of Mandalore and the execution of Order 66.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Katee Sackhoff Cast as Bo Katan in The Mandalorian

The Mandalorian's second season is going to have a stacked cast if all of these rumors pan out. New today is word that Katee Sackhoff will reprise her role as Bo-Katan Kryze, joining an expanding cast of established Star Wars characters now expected to join Din Djarin in his quest to protect The Child
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Cool. It's been too long since I've gotten my Sackhoff.