The Trump Impeachment Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

UsulofDoom

Re: The Trump Impeachment Thread

Post by UsulofDoom »

May be this thread should be renamed since it is over?
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

UsulofDoom wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:36 pm May be this thread should be renamed since it is over?
"The Trump Unbound Thread" has a nice ring to it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There’s always hope it can be put to use in the future.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

UsulofDoom wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:36 pm May be this thread should be renamed since it is over?
He is still impeached.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:30 pm
He is still impeached.
This. Plus it's a thread that covered his impeachment, so I don't think it makes sense to rename it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
malchior

Post by malchior »

He is still impeached.
Not if they expunge it 'next year'. :roll:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:13 pm
He is still impeached.
The good news is that at least the impeachment stain bugs him. The bad news is that he will probably be successful in getting it expunged.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

At this point, it's symbolic anyway. Impeachment did nothing to reign him in and may have done the opposite. It's not like expunging it from the record will keep future employers from knowing it happened.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:45 pm At this point, it's symbolic anyway. Impeachment did nothing to reign him in and may have done the opposite. It's not like expunging it from the record will keep future employers from knowing it happened.
He'll be able to say he wasn't impeached which will be one less thing keeping his BP up at dangerous levels.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:52 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:45 pm At this point, it's symbolic anyway. Impeachment did nothing to reign him in and may have done the opposite. It's not like expunging it from the record will keep future employers from knowing it happened.
He'll be able to say he wasn't impeached which will be one less thing keeping his BP up at dangerous levels.
He'll only be able to get it expunged if he gets reelected and the Republicans retake the House. But if that happens, we'll have vastly bigger problems anyway.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:55 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:52 pm
He'll only be able to get it expunged if he gets reelected and the Republicans retake the House. But if that happens, we'll have vastly bigger problems anyway.
And even if that happens, history will still refer to him as impeached (later expunged). He should be reminded of that frequently.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daily, I think. Like, every single time a reporter asks him a question. "Mr. President, how does being impeached affect your ability to make a decision about this?"
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:02 pm And even if that happens, history will still refer to him as impeached (later expunged). He should be reminded of that frequently.

He'll be dead sooner than later. He's 73. He lives a life of constant travel that takes a heavy toll on a body. His faculties are clearly in rapid decline.

But his legacy will be reminded of it. It will be part of the Trump brand and all of those who associate themselves with it.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:10 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:02 pm And even if that happens, history will still refer to him as impeached (later expunged). He should be reminded of that frequently.

He'll be dead sooner than later. He's 73. He lives a life of constant travel that takes a heavy toll on a body. His faculties are clearly in rapid decline.

But his legacy will be reminded of it. It will be part of the Trump brand and all of those who associate themselves with it.
Yea....Clinton has been crushed by the black stain of Impeachment on him.
Last I heard, the Clintons might have to downsize their $5.6 million dollar shack because of it. I fear they are just a few million shy of being broke.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stimpy wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:21 pm

Last I heard, the Clintons might have to downsize their $5.6 million dollar shack because of it. I fear they are just a few million shy of broke.
Thank you for your illustration. Clinton is forever tarnished, so much so it cost his wife the election, even as she was ordained by the DNC, and you who fake not defending Trump at every turn just lumped Trump in with Clinton.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Honestly if they are in a position for them to do vote on expunging -- which isn't in the Constitution and is pretty much solely a #snowflake project - well let's be honest it will not be the biggest problem we have.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:29 pm Honestly if they are in a position for them to do vote on expunging -- which isn't in the Constitution and is pretty much solely a #snowflake project - well let's be honest it will not be the biggest problem we have.
But it's the same problem we have now. It's the same problem we had a year ago and the year before that.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

I more meant if they have the House to introduce and expunge then we are finished anyway. There is still a chance we pull out of the immediate crisis even by beating Trump and having him actually leave.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:11 pmFocusing is rather vague. What should they have done instead of 'wasting time' with impeachment?
Trump gets elected. As soon as that happens it's a done deal, Trump is President and we Democrats need to get over it. The next thing to do is figure out who has the best chance to win in 2020 and start promoting those candidates to the people. Why should I vote for Biden/Warren/Sander/whoever? That's the question that needed to be the focus these last three years. Instead, they are barely beginning to hash that out now.

Impeachment was a lame attempt to cancel out the 2016 election and everyone knows that's all it was. It was a time and energy sink. In a way it's almost an admission by the party that Democratic leaders don't think a Democrat can win this upcoming election and so impeachment was their hail mary attempt to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
noxiousdog wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:40 pmHe's the first senator ever to vote to remove a man of his own party from office. That's pretty significant.
I don't think that's as significant as it sounds. Republican voters rejected old school Republican candidates, that's why Trump got the nomination. Romney isn't a Republican in the same way Trump is, and vice versa. It's not like those two have been tight all this time and suddenly- betrayal! Romney was never going to be able to ride Trump's coattails anywhere. He didn't turn on one of his own in the way that voting to remove a man of his own party makes it sound like.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

gameoverman wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:48 pm Impeachment was a lame attempt to cancel out the 2016 election and everyone knows that's all it was.
Rip, is that you?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gilraen wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:20 pm
gameoverman wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:48 pm Impeachment was a lame attempt to cancel out the 2016 election and everyone knows that's all it was.
Rip, is that you?
Right?

gameoverman, I'm curious - what are the facts of the Ukraine scandal as you understand them?
Black Lives Matter.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

stimpy wrote:

Last I heard, the Clintons might have to downsize their $5.6 million dollar shack because of it. I fear they are just a few million shy of being broke.
The difference is it doesn’t bother Clinton that much but Trump is obsessed with his image. I’m sure his last words will be “witch hunt”.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:29 pm gameoverman, I'm curious - what are the facts of the Ukraine scandal as you understand them?
+1
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lindsey Graham says God won’t ask him about Trump’s acquittal when he dies

God wont even speak to him as he'll be roasting forever. Good residence when.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:39 pm Lindsey Graham says God won’t ask him about Trump’s acquittal when he dies

God wont even speak to him as he'll be roasting forever. Good residence when.
Between this and Trump rejecting both prayer and essential teachings of Jesus, it's been a big week for GOP theology.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:25 pm Thank you for your illustration. Clinton is forever tarnished, so much so it cost his wife the election, even as she was ordained by the DNC, and you who fake not defending Trump at every turn just lumped Trump in with Clinton.
Wait a second....I thought it was Russian interference that cost her the election?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

stimpy wrote:
LordMortis wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:25 pm Thank you for your illustration. Clinton is forever tarnished, so much so it cost his wife the election, even as she was ordained by the DNC, and you who fake not defending Trump at every turn just lumped Trump in with Clinton.
Wait a second....I thought it was Russian interference that cost her the election?
Amazing. You are actually cool with Russian interference.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Scoop20906 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:20 pm
stimpy wrote:
Amazing. You are actually cool with Russian interference.
How you got that out of my post is what's amazing....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Enough

Post by Enough »

Friday Night Massacre apparently going down. After Vindman and his brother being fired, now Sondland has been fired effective immediately. Bork, Bork, Bork...
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:29 pm
Rip, is that you?
Right?

gameoverman, I'm curious - what are the facts of the Ukraine scandal as you understand them?
Frankly, I don't care. Here's the problem: The Republicans have the Senate votes and the Presidency. For impeachment to work, the side bringing it needs the accusations to be so objectionable to the public that there's no political way for the President's supporters to rally against impeachment. This Ukraine 'scandal' was not good enough. There are many in the general public who don't give two shiats about that whole thing. There's this saying 'pick your battles' and this impeachment attempt is a prime example of why that's important. Was this battle really worth it, worth the time and effort that went into it? I say no. We learned nothing about Trump and how he operates that we didn't know before he started his campaign. Those of us who don't like him still don't like him. Those who supported him before still support him. So what was the point?

edit: I'm a registered Democrat and it makes me feel like a dumbass for being one when I see the party leaders flailing away at a lost cause, when there is a real election coming up. It's annoying to see. I mean Biden is running. If he's the one who can beat Trump why didn't he run last time? That would have been his best time to run, already being Vice President. By deciding not to run then, no matter why he decided that, he should have also understood he was ending any future campaign for President as well. He should be helping the future Democratic nominee, not be a nominee himself. These kinds of random actions and decisions by leading Democrats don't make me think they even know what they're doing.
Last edited by gameoverman on Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

gameoverman wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:35 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:29 pm
Rip, is that you?
Right?

Frankly, I don't care. Here's the problem: The Republicans have the Senate votes and the Presidency. For impeachment to work, the side bringing it needs the accusations to be so objectionable to the public that there's no political way for the President's supporters to rally against impeachment. This Ukraine 'scandal' was not good enough. There are many in the general public who don't give two shiats about that whole thing. There's this saying 'pick your battles' and this impeachment attempt is a prime example of why that's important. Was this battle really worth it, worth the time and effort that went into it? I say no.
They had no choice. Lots of people actually did give a shit. And frankly this is what impeachment is for. If it leads to sycophants or cowards like Collins to get run out of office it was worth it. We'll see if the gamble pays off but doing nothing wasn't an option.
We learned nothing about Trump and how he operates that we didn't know before he started his campaign. Those of us who don't like him still don't like him. Those who supported him before still support him. So what was the point?
This is the problem with our politics. Everything is relative. It's all about sides. This impeachment was about American values. Also, in my opinion what we learned is how real the danger is. Many people were deluded about the state of things. Now they know how close we are to the edge. It might be too late but at least people who wish to pay attention know what the stakes are while we still might have time.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

gameoverman wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:48 pm
Alefroth wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:11 pmFocusing is rather vague. What should they have done instead of 'wasting time' with impeachment?
Trump gets elected. As soon as that happens it's a done deal, Trump is President and we Democrats need to get over it. The next thing to do is figure out who has the best chance to win in 2020 and start promoting those candidates to the people. Why should I vote for Biden/Warren/Sander/whoever? That's the question that needed to be the focus these last three years. Instead, they are barely beginning to hash that out now.

Impeachment was a lame attempt to cancel out the 2016 election and everyone knows that's all it was. It was a time and energy sink. In a way it's almost an admission by the party that Democratic leaders don't think a Democrat can win this upcoming election and so impeachment was their hail mary attempt to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
noxiousdog wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:40 pmHe's the first senator ever to vote to remove a man of his own party from office. That's pretty significant.
I don't think that's as significant as it sounds. Republican voters rejected old school Republican candidates, that's why Trump got the nomination. Romney isn't a Republican in the same way Trump is, and vice versa. It's not like those two have been tight all this time and suddenly- betrayal! Romney was never going to be able to ride Trump's coattails anywhere. He didn't turn on one of his own in the way that voting to remove a man of his own party makes it sound like.
Thanks for the explanation. It is quite illuminating.

I don't think you realize that those responsible for promoting candidates (the DNC) aren't the same as those who were responsible for impeachment (congressional Democrats).
gameoverman wrote:Instead, they are barely beginning to hash that out now.
That's how primaries work. Should they be campaigning for 4 years?
gameoverman wrote:I'm a registered Democrat and it makes me feel like a dumbass for being one when I see the party leaders flailing away at a lost cause, when there is a real election coming up.
What would make me feel like a dumbass is if I thought what Trump did wasn't objectionable enough.
Last edited by Alefroth on Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

gameoverman wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:35 pm
Frankly, I don't care. Here's the problem: The Republicans have the Senate votes and the Presidency. For impeachment to work, the side bringing it needs the accusations to be so objectionable to the public that there's no political way for the President's supporters to rally against impeachment. This Ukraine 'scandal' was not good enough. There are many in the general public who don't give two shiats about that whole thing. There's this saying 'pick your battles' and this impeachment attempt is a prime example of why that's important. Was this battle really worth it, worth the time and effort that went into it? I say no. We learned nothing about Trump and how he operates that we didn't know before he started his campaign. Those of us who don't like him still don't like him. Those who supported him before still support him. So what was the point?

edit: I'm a registered Democrat and it makes me feel like a dumbass for being one when I see the party leaders flailing away at a lost cause, when there is a real election coming up. It's annoying to see. I mean Biden is running. If he's the one who can beat Trump why didn't he run last time? That would have been his best time to run, already being Vice President. By deciding not to run then, no matter why he decided that, he should have also understood he was ending any future campaign for President as well. He should be helping the future Democratic nominee, not be a nominee himself. These kinds of random actions and decisions by leading Democrats don't make me think they even know what they're doing.
You're viewing actual abuses of power through a purely instrumental/political lens. That's Trump's game, and you've ceded him the rulebook.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gameoverman wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:35 pm So what was the point?
Practically speaking: Trump was caught red-handed bribing a foreign power to help him rig the next election, after he did something similar in the last election. Those facts are documented beyond dispute. Even his own supporters were forced to admit that he did it and reduced to arguing that it shouldn't matter -- it's for the voters to decide. Well, the voters can't do that if he steals the election, as he is openly trying to do. That will be the end of democracy. It's the reason the Founders included impeachment. It's kind of a big deal.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

He is still impeached.
There's no constitutional provision for this. At best the House could pass some sort of resolution stating it was wrong ore mistaken, but I don't see how it can be "expunged".
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Grifman wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:00 am
He is still impeached.
There's no constitutional provision for this. At best the House could pass some sort of resolution stating it was wrong ore mistaken, but I don't see how it can be "expunged".
GOP: Hold my beer.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:03 am
Grifman wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:00 am
He is still impeached.
GOP: Hold my beer.
Trump the Unimpeachable
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

malchior wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:42 pmMany people were deluded about the state of things. Now they know how close we are to the edge.
This is the core disagreement I have with you and a lot of people regarding Trump. My opinion is that everyone knew about him being the way he is before he was elected. Remember all the people, and I was one of those dummies too, who said things like "You can't vote for Trump, he's not qualified"? Everyone who votes knew what his victory would mean.

People did in fact vote for him, lots of people did. They did so because they knew what he was about and that's how he won them over. He is their guy, he's doing and saying what they thought he would.

Are there people in this country who were clueless about him until now? Sure. But those people don't vote. They don't care about politics. That's why this impeachment thing is informative to those people, they don't care about politics enough to pay attention to things like campaigns. This is also why, once again in my opinion, this won't affect the election and thus wasn't worth pursuing, these people will not vote in the upcoming election.

There have been so many previous reasons to get politically fired up before this Ukraine scandal and apparently these swing voters weren't swayed, but I'm supposed to believe THIS is the thing that turns people against Trump? Come on. People are cynical these days. Telling them someone cheated in an election, or even tried to steal the election, is going to get a shrug and "What else is new?" for a response. It wasn't new when Nixon did it and it took the 'smoking gun' of audio recordings to get him out.
raydude

Post by raydude »

gameoverman wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:56 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:42 pmMany people were deluded about the state of things. Now they know how close we are to the edge.
This is the core disagreement I have with you and a lot of people regarding Trump. My opinion is that everyone knew about him being the way he is before he was elected. Remember all the people, and I was one of those dummies too, who said things like "You can't vote for Trump, he's not qualified"? Everyone who votes knew what his victory would mean.

People did in fact vote for him, lots of people did. They did so because they knew what he was about and that's how he won them over. He is their guy, he's doing and saying what they thought he would.

Are there people in this country who were clueless about him until now? Sure. But those people don't vote. They don't care about politics. That's why this impeachment thing is informative to those people, they don't care about politics enough to pay attention to things like campaigns. This is also why, once again in my opinion, this won't affect the election and thus wasn't worth pursuing, these people will not vote in the upcoming election.

There have been so many previous reasons to get politically fired up before this Ukraine scandal and apparently these swing voters weren't swayed, but I'm supposed to believe THIS is the thing that turns people against Trump? Come on. People are cynical these days. Telling them someone cheated in an election, or even tried to steal the election, is going to get a shrug and "What else is new?" for a response. It wasn't new when Nixon did it and it took the 'smoking gun' of audio recordings to get him out.
Actually I will confess I didn't realize how much of a shitstain he would be. I figured he would be an idiot, but I didn't realize he would be a stubborn idiot. I figured he would hire good advisors, but I didn't realize he wouldn't listen to them and actually do the exact opposite of what they wanted. Then fire them and replace them with idiots on the same level as him.

I knew he was stupid, but I didn't realize he was so stupid that people had to distill briefings down to cartoons. I knew he didn't admit to mistakes but I didn't realize he would be so stupid and unwilling to admit mistakes that he would use a sharpie to "prove" a hurricane was headed for Alabama.

But most of all, I knew he was an idiot. I didn't realize he'd be a useful idiot for Putin.