[Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Daehawk »

On Facebook, anti-vaxxers urged a mom not to give her son Tamiflu. He later died.

They should be hunted down and arrested for homicide along with the parents.
The child had not been diagnosed yet, but he was running a fever and had a seizure, the mother wrote. She added that two of her four children had been diagnosed with the flu and that the doctor had prescribed the antiviral Tamiflu for everyone in the household.

“The doc prescribed tamiflu I did not pick it up,” she wrote.
None of the 45 comments on the mother’s Facebook post suggested medical attention. The child was eventually hospitalized and died four days later, according to a GoFundMe started on his behalf by his family.

The mother also wrote that the “natural cures” she was treating all four of her children with — including peppermint oil, Vitamin C and lavender — were not working and asked the group for more advice. The advice that came in the comments included breastmilk, thyme and elderberry, none of which are medically recommended treatments for the flu.

“Perfect, I’ll try that,” the mother responded.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GoFundMe.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I noticed that. She sure wont be buying medicine with it...unless the death of her child teaches her a lesson. Most likely since the child was hospitalized for 4 days she will claim it is their fault. I wonder if she treats herself with vitamin c when she gets ill? And where does this stupidity start? Is no one raised well now days?
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I'm feeling optimistic about the virus now. It's almost to the end of the period of time I'd consider significant in showing how far and wide travelers have managed to spread this. There are cases popping up here and there, but nothing even close to "OMG, it's everywhere!" so I'm thinking it's not really that contagious. It's not really that deadly. The scale is just too small. Even if you look at what's going on in China, where it's as bad as can be, it's not that bad. That's a country of a billion people and they have deaths in the hundreds. I bet that many people die in China every month just from being run over by a cement truck.
Formix

Post by Formix »

You’re assuming that China is releasing accurate numbers.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Hell, I haven't even been able to successfully Google how many Chinese have been run over with cement trucks!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Formix wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:18 pm You’re assuming that China is releasing accurate numbers.
It's been outside of China for awhile now. What we see here in the US is the same thing that's happening in China. The main difference would be in the amount of people involved, since China has more people. It's not magically more contagious in China, nor will it be more deadly. It's the same virus. So we can do the math. If a city with X people in it sees Y cases per month, then a city with X/2 people in it will see Y/2 cases per month.

I mentioned cement truck deaths because I see a lot of that kind of thing on Liveleak. I was originally going to use 'people dropping firecrackers into sewers' but that seems to result in injuries more often than deaths.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They say over 35,000 infected. ID bet that is a lot higher and will only go much higher.

An American in Wuhan has died now it says.

Also 11 on a cruise ship. Id hate to be on a cruise...they are not letting anyone off these days. Prisoners for weeks or more.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:38 pm They say over 35,000 infected. ID bet that is a lot higher and will only go much higher.

An American in Wuhan has died now it says.

Also 11 on a cruise ship. Id hate to be on a cruise...they are not letting anyone off these days. Prisoners for weeks or more.
I'd hate to be anywhere easily separated from home and/or work now. If I was in Vegas and there was an outbreak there, I could get back here and no one could stop me. If I was on Catalina Island, which is just off the coast, and there was an outbreak there then I'd be screwed. I'm not swimming back. Someone might say "If the army surrounded Vegas you aren't getting out", well before it got that bad I'd know it and I wouldn't be in Vegas to begin with. The people who are trapped are the ones caught by surprise because for a time no one knew this was going to happen. Everyone knows now. If there is someone willingly getting on a cruise ship right now, it's on them what happens. I don't feel sorry for them.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Some couple had bought tickets in advance for a cruise and when they found out about this stuff they cancelled but the cruise line is refusing to refund them...its like $18,000 ...Im not sure who pays that shit for a cruise but thats nuts.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Travel insurance is a thing.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

So is a chargeback on your credit card.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:30 pm Travel insurance is a thing.
They had it but the cruise claims it doesn't cover this infection.

EDIT: WHOOPS! It is $32,000 not $18k..my God. The cruise line is basically telling them to go on the cruise and possibly die or be trapped for a month maybe or lose their money.

Coronavirus Fears Cost Family $32,000 As Cruise Ship Company Won't Give Refund, Says Insurance Doesn't Cover Epidemics

https://www.newsweek.com/hawaii-family- ... us-1485228
A Hawaii family is losing the $32,000 they spent on a cruise to China after cancelling the trip due to their concerns over the coronavirus.

Pua Morrison, from Maui, said she and seven family members paid $4,000 each for a cruise with Norwegian Cruise Line that departs in the next couple of days and stops in Hong Kong, KHON2 reported.

She told the station that the trip was booked through Costco in February last year, long before the outbreak of a new virus that has so far killed more than 250 people in China and spread to dozens of other countries, with seven cases confirmed in the U.S.
Morrison says she contacted Costco first, but they referred her to Norwegian Cruise Line who told her that she was not eligible for a refund and that her trip insurance doesn't cover an epidemic.

Morrison said she was told the "bottom line is, if you cancel you lose all your money."
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:43 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:30 pm Travel insurance is a thing.
They had it but the cruise claims it doesn't cover this infection.
Standard travel insurance doesn't cover the "I'm afraid I might get sick" scenario. Certainly not some boilerplate plan that she bought from the cruise line. The only insurance that would cover that is "cancel for any reason" policy add-on, it's only offered by specialized travel insurance providers, and it ain't cheap.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNBC
Hubei province reported an additional 81 deaths and another 2,147 new cases as of Saturday. It brings the cumulative number of deaths in the province to 780, and total confirmed cases to 27,100.

The number of deaths from the mysterious virus is now higher than the global death toll for SARS.

China has reported 811 deaths in the mainland so far. That brings the global death toll to 813 — including one in the Philippines and another in Hong Kong.

The SARS outbreak in 2003 killed 774 people globally, according to the World Health Organization.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Another cruise has everyone confined to cabins until the 18th or so. Said 1 person tested positive then 11 more and now its like 36.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I have to side with the cruise ship on the refund thing. If you're spending tens of thousands of dollars on this, you'd better know what your refund options are. Right now there is no actual reason for them to want a refund. They are afraid of what might happen. A lot of things might happen, such as a giant tidal wave hits the ship and causes it to capsize. They should have bought the cancel for any reason insurance.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Now they just have to pray that NCL cancels the cruise on their own.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

China is now forcibly removing sick folk from their homes to be put into 'temporary' quarantine places. Up to 44,000+ infected and 1000 dead....Im sure its both higher than that. Also work has resumed after the holidays there.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

‘temporary’ ?

What’s your implication there ?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:13 pm ‘temporary’ ?

That they are remarkably well built and certainly appear to be more than temporary structures? Kudos to the builders? I'm sure that's it.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

A lie will go twice around the world before the truth gets its boots on, and for all I know somebody is just fixing the door, but.... :shock:
Spoiler:
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Unagi wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:13 pm ‘temporary’ ?

Im pretty sure if you're sick and go there they wont let you leave and you'll likely die there. If you're in a home with a sick person but not sick they send you there too so Im betting you get sick and maybe die there too. I would not want China to quarantine me in any way shape or form.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I'm surprised they didn't just hogtie everyone then carry them out. There'd be a lot less drama. The more the people are allowed to fight them off, the worse it looks for the authorities. I think there's a big psychological difference between people fighting for their freedom and some infected people being hauled off so they don't spread the virus. Dragging people out like that makes the authorities look like the bad guys.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

gameoverman wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:51 pm I'm surprised they didn't just hogtie everyone then carry them out. There'd be a lot less drama. The more the people are allowed to fight them off, the worse it looks for the authorities. I think there's a big psychological difference between people fighting for their freedom and some infected people being hauled off so they don't spread the virus. Dragging people out like that makes the authorities look like the bad guys.
Apparently they have a new plan.

DEVASTATING footage appears to show coronavirus patients being welded inside their homes and "left to die" as China battles to contain the fatal disease.

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Saw this online. Supposedly to do with coronavirus and leaked as everything is. I dont believe anything online so dont think it has anything to do with it but can someone actually understand what it says?

Enlarge Image
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

They probably just welded shut some doors to reduce the number of entrance to the building to make it easier to guard against people trying to escape quarantine.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:04 am Saw this online. Supposedly to do with coronavirus and leaked as everything is. I dont believe anything online so dont think it has anything to do with it but can someone actually understand what it says?

Enlarge Image
All I could find was that it was (supposedly) posted by Tencent, then quickly replaced with the official figures. Nobody is certain whether it was a mistake, a joke, a leak, or just bad code. It would certainly be ugly if it were true (those numbers are ~10x the official numbers), but I haven't found any reference to it on any source I know or trust.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Like Europe in Medieval times.
Workers are stuck in their hometowns. Officials want detailed health plans before factories or offices can reopen. Assembly lines that make General Motors cars and Apple iPhones are standing silent.

More than two weeks after China locked down a major city to stop a dangerous viral outbreak, one of the world’s largest economies remains largely idle. Much of the country was supposed to have reopened by now, but its empty streets, quiet factories, and legions of inactive workers suggest that weeks or months could pass before this vital motor of global growth is humming again.

The global economy could suffer the longer China stays in low gear. It has been hampered by both the outbreak and its own containment efforts, a process that has cut off workers from their jobs and factories from their raw materials. The result is a slowdown that is already slashing traffic along the world’s shipping lines and leading to forecasts of a sharp fall in production of everything from cars to smartphones.

“It’s like Europe in medieval times,” said Joerg Wuttke, president of the European Chamber of Commerce in China, “where each city has its checks and crosschecks.”
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Skeptics Guide to the Universe has been having a Wuhan Coronavirus update at the beginning of their shows for a few weeks now. It is very informative.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

From now on, I want you all to call me Loretta COVID-19
It stands for the coronavirus disease that was discovered in 2019.

The World Health Organization announced the name Tuesday, saying it was careful to find a name without stigma.

“We had to find a name that did not refer to a geographical location, an animal, or an individual or group of people,” WHO's director-general, Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said in a call with reporters.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id rather have a name that shows where for history sake.

I wonder if products made in China could ship contaminated items worldwide?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Journal of Hospital Infection
The analysis of 22 studies reveals that human coronaviruses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) coronavirus, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus or endemic human coronaviruses (HCoV) can persist on inanimate surfaces like metal, glass or plastic for up to 9 days, but can be efficiently inactivated by surface disinfection procedures with 62-71% ethanol, 0.5% hydrogen peroxide or 0.1% sodium hypochlorite within 1 minute.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:41 pm From now on, I want you all to call me Loretta COVID-19

The World Health Organization announced the name Tuesday, saying it was careful to find a name without stigma.

“We had to find a name that did not refer to a geographical location, an animal, or an individual or group of people or a beer,” WHO's director-general, Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said in a call with reporters.
Mortoned
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:41 pm From now on, I want you all to call me Loretta COVID-19

“We had to find a name that did not refer to a geographical location, an animal, or an individual or group of people,” WHO's director-general, Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said in a call with reporters.
Too late. At work it has already morphed into the Wasabi Virus which is maybe less offensive?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:24 pm Journal of Hospital Infection
The analysis of 22 studies reveals that human coronaviruses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) coronavirus, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus or endemic human coronaviruses (HCoV) can persist on inanimate surfaces like metal, glass or plastic for up to 9 days, but can be efficiently inactivated by surface disinfection procedures with 62-71% ethanol, 0.5% hydrogen peroxide or 0.1% sodium hypochlorite within 1 minute.
Id say no orders from China then but it takes them 2 weeks to bother shipping anyways :)
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:47 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:24 pm Journal of Hospital Infection
Id say no orders from China then but it takes them 2 weeks to bother shipping anyways :)
The reason I don't worry about that is that if the virus lasts that long and is that contagious then items from China are merely ONE potential source of infection. The virus is already here in the US, so it's probably more likely an American would get it from another American than from someone or something from China. Otherwise you'd be implying that the version the rest of the world has is not the same one as the virus in China.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Like he interacts with anyone.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

If you get mail then you interact with the mail carrier, plus whoever else handled your mail before it got sent out. Your mail also rubbed up against mail touched by other people, not in a sexual way. If you occasionally go out to get food then you are in a deathtrap fast food place that is crawling with germs, or a market which is also crawling with germs. Just touching a doorknob to get in means you're getting someone's cooties.