[Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Daehawk »

Oh no.

Jim Bakker selling fake coronavirus cures now
Ex-convict, sex scandalist, and TV evangelist Jim Bakker is at it again.

The 'Christian television pioneer' and snake oil entrepreneur is now selling a purported coronavirus cure that also turns you blue for no additional charge.

He's implying in this video clip snipped by @RightWingWatch that a colloidal silver bullshit product he sells will kill coronavirus within 12 hours (it does not).

Only one way to test this out, though.

Dump him in Wuhan with only a bottle of colloidal silver and let God sort it out.
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

raydude wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:46 pm
gameoverman wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:29 pm
raydude wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:49 pmKnow what the problem with exponential growth is? At first it seems too small to matter, until it runs away from you.
I'm aware of that being a possibility. What I'm saying is there is no evidence, so far as I've read, that suggests exponential growth is happening. We are in the middle of February now, where's the growth? All I see are small and contained detections, such as the one in France. Here in California there have been infected people identified but where are all the ones they infected? California has a lot of people in it, any kind of growth would be obvious.

This corona virus panic reminds me of the WWIII panic we recently had after that Iranian guy was killed. I think people like the excitement of thinking a calamity is about to happen and so any chance they get they cry "apocalyptic event!". Corona virus is just the latest reason to indulge in that. That's how I see it.
I agree with you there. The worst thing is that the same news that my Trump loving relatives follow is touting massive coronavirus scares. Fear sells, so let's hawk it! Then when the real news reports that cases keep climbing, even though it's slower than the fake news, it just reinforces my Trump loving relatives belief in their news sources.
Didn't their leader say that it'll go away when the weather warms up? (He might even be right about that.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yahoo
An American biotech company says it created a coronavirus vaccine three hours after getting access to the virus' genetic sequence on Jan. 9, and now scientists are racing to get the vaccine on the market in record time.

Inovio Pharmaceuticals is based in Pennsylvania, but scientists in its laboratory in San Diego made the discovery.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

3 hours huh? Ya totally trust worthy. Ill pass.

Speaking of the name and not stigmatizing any place...I guess Kung Flu didn't trend well?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:16 pm 3 hours huh? Ya totally trust worthy. Ill pass.
It's not particularly surprising - vaccine researchers do not start from scratch. They already have a "blueprint" of sorts from other vaccines (possibly even vaccines from other coronaviruses). All they need is to plug in the correct genetic sequence from this virus, and the software compiles the rest of the formula.

Regardless of how fast they can come up with the initial formula, human clinical trials take at least several months, even with all the urgency around this virus.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gilraen wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:32 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:16 pm 3 hours huh? Ya totally trust worthy. Ill pass.
It's not particularly surprising - vaccine researchers do not start from scratch. They already have a "blueprint" of sorts from other vaccines (possibly even vaccines from other coronaviruses). All they need is to plug in the correct genetic sequence from this virus, and the software compiles the rest of the formula.
Yeah, they do that on Star Trek all the time.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

There are news today about CDC reported some test kit in use in US and also sent to 30 other countries are faulty.

I wonder if that includes Indonesia and African countries? Is that the reason no one tested positive in Indonesia and those African countries? If so that means there are likely to be infected people spreading the virus undetected for weeks in those countries.

Is it time to panic?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And they just released all those in quarantine from China the other day in CA.
Victoria Raverna

Kraken wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:13 pm
raydude wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:49 pmKnow what the problem with exponential growth is? At first it seems too small to matter, until it runs away from you.
I'm aware of that being a possibility. What I'm saying is there is no evidence, so far as I've read, that suggests exponential growth is happening. We are in the middle of February now, where's the growth? All I see are small and contained detections, such as the one in France. Here in California there have been infected people identified but where are all the ones they infected? California has a lot of people in it, any kind of growth would be obvious.

This corona virus panic reminds me of the WWIII panic we recently had after that Iranian guy was killed. I think people like the excitement of thinking a calamity is about to happen and so any chance they get they cry "apocalyptic event!". Corona virus is just the latest reason to indulge in that. That's how I see it.
I agree with you there. The worst thing is that the same news that my Trump loving relatives follow is touting massive coronavirus scares. Fear sells, so let's hawk it! Then when the real news reports that cases keep climbing, even though it's slower than the fake news, it just reinforces my Trump loving relatives belief in their news sources.
Didn't their leader say that it'll go away when the weather warms up? (He might even be right about that.)
How warm?

Singapore is a country in tropics and they have people that got infected by COVID-19 locally. Current temperature around 87 degree Fahrenheit.

Thailand is also a country in tropics. Current temperature in Bangkok is 88 degree Fahrenheit.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:06 pm Yahoo
An American biotech company says it created a coronavirus vaccine three hours after getting access to the virus' genetic sequence on Jan. 9, and now scientists are racing to get the vaccine on the market in record time.

Inovio Pharmaceuticals is based in Pennsylvania, but scientists in its laboratory in San Diego made the discovery.
I'm sure we can count on them to release this vaccine at an affordable price. Not like an American pharmaceutical company would extort money from people over life and death matters!

"Follow me <to the bank where we wipe out all your savings> if you want to live!"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:46 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:13 pm

How warm?

Singapore is a country in tropics and they have people that got infected by COVID-19 locally. Current temperature around 87 degree Fahrenheit.

Thailand is also a country in tropics. Current temperature in Bangkok is 88 degree Fahrenheit.
I'm just repeating what the Occupant said. If you can't trust him, who can you trust? (I've read that this class of virus doesn't spread well in heat and humidity and we might be facing something like a new seasonal flu. People can get the flu in the summer, but it doesn't take off.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Who is to say it doesn't go south with the cold air then return?

Anyways.....

CDC director: Novel coronavirus 'is probably with us beyond this season, beyond this year'
"We don't know a lot about this virus," he said. "This virus is probably with us beyond this season, beyond this year, and I think eventually the virus will find a foothold and we will get community-based transmission."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Global novel coronavirus death toll reaches 1,383 as China purges officials in Hubei
As the number of deaths and cases at the epicenter of the outbreak continued to rise, China moved to purge several officials in the region, replacing them with loyalists of Chinese President Xi Jinping, who has now taken personal charge of the response. The removal of the Wuhan and Hubei party chiefs might only be the beginning of the provincial purge. Last week, amid nationwide outrage over the death of whisteblower doctor Li Wenliang -- who was reprimanded for spreading "rumors" by Wuhan police -- Beijing dispatched an anti-corruption team to the city to investigate the matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why is it called Novel?
Victoria Raverna

Daehawk wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:34 am Why is it called Novel?
I think novel means new. It was called novel coronavirus 2019 because it was a new virus.

Now that it is officially named, we probably should stop calling it novel coronavirus.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Novel = something new and different from anything that has been experienced before.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:49 am
I think novel means new. It was called novel coronavirus 2019 because it was a new virus.

Now that it is officially named, we probably should stop calling it novel coronavirus.
Thus to distinguish it from existing/known coronavirus strains.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Virus infects more than 1,700 health workers in China, 6 die

More than 1,700 Chinese medical workers have been infected by the new virus that has killed nearly 1,400 people and spread to other parts of Asia and as far as the U.S. and Europe, a senior Chinese official announced Friday.

Six of the workers have died, Zeng Yixin, vice director of the National Health Commission, said at a news conference.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:08 pm There are news today about CDC reported some test kit in use in US and also sent to 30 other countries are faulty.

I wonder if that includes Indonesia and African countries? Is that the reason no one tested positive in Indonesia and those African countries? If so that means there are likely to be infected people spreading the virus undetected for weeks in those countries.

Is it time to panic?
This is why I'm not in a panic. As you say, infected people have been wandering around the world for weeks. Even if this virus takes a month to pop up, we should be seeing at least one or two cities outside China having serious outbreaks by now, but we don't see that. So I suspect this is really just a mildly contagious, mildly dangerous virus. The woman who died in Japan was 80 years old, according to the earlier post in this thread. Plenty of people who are 80 years old might be killed by any number of illnesses, not because the illness was so bad but because they are vulnerable physically.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Those poor people on the cruise ship. Now the total infected is 219. It started with 2 I think. Theres 40+ new in the last day or so. Two planes are going to get the Americans off and back home where they all must stay another 14 days in quarantine. The ones that dont leave are stuck on the breeding ground ship and are warned by the US of an unknown time of stay. Could be months more. But those already sick wont be allowed to leave the ship.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/15/politics ... index.html
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I read that someone died in France of this virus- an 80 year old Chinese tourist. It occurs to me that many senior citizens go on cruises. THAT would worry me if I was a passenger. If I'm older and stuck on a ship with infected people I'm not liking my chances.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Of course, my family has a 5 night cruise scheduled for next month. Out of San Diego and down to Cabo San Lucas and back. Not too worried, but should I be???
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You may be home in time for Christmas :)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I seem to remember a short story I read a long time ago...

If aliens wanted to conduct biological warfare on Earth, they would definitely seed it near the Himalayas and let the jetstream carry it to the rest of China, and then all over the world.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/The_Screwfly_Solution
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Kurth wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:31 pm Of course, my family has a 5 night cruise scheduled for next month. Out of San Diego and down to Cabo San Lucas and back. Not too worried, but should I be???
I wouldn't be worried...yet. I haven't heard of random cruise ship infections of this virus. San Diego to Cabo is about as far from ground zero as you could want to be. By next month? Who knows, things could change. I don't think they will though.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kurth wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:31 pm Of course, my family has a 5 night cruise scheduled for next month. Out of San Diego and down to Cabo San Lucas and back. Not too worried, but should I be???
You scheduled a cruise during peak Norovirus and Measles season? You're braver than I thought!

Sorry, not helping. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:
You scheduled a cruise during peak Norovirus and Measles season? You're braver than I thought!

Sorry, not helping. :wink:
Well on a positive note, he probably won't get the Coronavirus.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

A friend in the office just got back from a two week Asian cruise. I think he said they started at Singapore and ended at Taipei. No (mainland) Chinese nationals were let on board apparently. While there was no coronavirus on the cruise, some of the people on my floor got together and asked him to work from home for the next two weeks. To not cause issues he agreed to do it, but he's telling me that he's giving them all sorts of grief once he gets back.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Roman

Post by Roman »

He shouldn't cause any issues when he returns based on whats been happening to cruise line passengers etc.

If I was in his shoes I would have voluntarily stayed home out of caution and care for my work mates.
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I would think that this sort of request should have involved Henchmen Resources.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:41 amhile there was no coronavirus on the cruise, some of the people on my floor got together and asked him to work from home for the next two weeks.
My employer had to send out a message to everyone saying it is not appropriate to ask about travel or to randomly tell people to wear masks or not attend class based on their answers or refusal to answer. I checked, but it's still 2020 and not 1952.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Plague-carrier is not a protected class.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:41 am Plague-carrier is not a protected class.
On the other hand, antiretroviral drugs, some of which are being tested against COVID-19, are a protected class.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:36 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:41 amhile there was no coronavirus on the cruise, some of the people on my floor got together and asked him to work from home for the next two weeks.
My employer had to send out a message to everyone saying it is not appropriate to ask about travel or to randomly tell people to wear masks or not attend class based on their answers or refusal to answer. I checked, but it's still 2020 and not 1952.
I get the feeling that there's a pretty strong correlation between people who feel this request was reasonable and those who are prone to "Pandemic Panic" or "Pan(dem)ic" (which are terms I just made up and hold all rights to - must credit ImLawBoy).
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:53 am
I get the feeling that there's a pretty strong correlation between people who feel this request was reasonable and those who are prone to "Pandemic Panic" or "Pan(dem)ic" (which are terms I just made up and hold all rights to - must credit ImLawBoy).
When they asked him to work from home, was this in-person or via phone/email? If it was in-person they should be working from home too. I mean, if it makes you uncomfortable that they may have gotten the sickness from him, right?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:59 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:53 am
When they asked him to work from home, was this in-person or via phone/email? If it was in-person they should be working from home too. I mean, if it makes you uncomfortable that they may have gotten the sickness from him, right?
It wasn't in person. Either someone e-mailed him or called him over the weekend, because his first day back was supposed to be yesterday.
Roman

Post by Roman »

It should have come via HR or his Manager.

I am not a panicky person when it comes to this stuff - but if someone came back from that entire region at this stage I would be cautious.
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Roman wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:38 pm It should have come via HR or his Manager.
Not really, because it's not something that the company is enforcing. It's just a few of the office nervous nellies asking him to do it (and it actually could have been HR attorneys, as we have some on this floor, but they would have been asking him in an unofficial capacity).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:55 pmt's just a few of the office nervous nellies asking him to do it
Any way to find out if these people get the flu vaccination every year? I'd love to have some evidence to support my theory on this. :D
morlac

Post by morlac »

LOL, there is no such thing as unofficial capacity when it come to HR.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:57 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:55 pmt's just a few of the office nervous nellies asking him to do it
Any way to find out if these people get the flu vaccination every year? I'd love to have some evidence to support my theory on this. :D
I'm not sure who actually made the request of him and then I'd actually have to go ask them, so not really. It'd be interesting to know, though . . . .