Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by hentzau »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:37 am My D-Day Dice: 2nd Edition box o' stuff arrived yesterday, including the resurrected by Word Forge Games Airborne in Your Pocket game that I pledged for WAY back when from someone else. Seeing issues in the KS comments about people missing components or even the base game, need to go back over my pledge and check everything, it would seem.
I got mine in over the weekend. I think I have everything, but I will double check. I was a bit confused by the fact that I got two boxes of the core set, but realized that one of them was just maps and cards, so that's the upgrade for the old version that I have. Did you get the giant neoprene mat beach as well? Wonder if they have special rules for it?

Can't wait to try a linked game of DDD and AiYP.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:56 am I honestly thought that was a done deal, but I hung onto the game because the minis are great and there is SOMETHING in the game I find interesting.
I went through my pile of Myth stuff last week and was excited and angry as part of the inventory process. Still feeling really mixed. I fear the mechanics for this type of game play have moved on (maybe). It's still unique, but there are elements from games like Street Masters and Dungeon Alliance that I think Myth likely influenced. I don't know if mechanically going back to play this now will be too cumbersome, but I'm hoping that they can figure out a way to relaunch it in a way that makes sense. I'm still a little nervous about how they handled the KS of the Inn of the Black Boar (add on $$ insanity), but they did contact me via email and send me corrected cards on their own dime and without me asking. That's encouraging.

Regardless, next week is the launch of World of Myth, a reprint (I think) of the hardcover book that was offered in the JM expansion project plus new material that wasn't there before. I believe prior owners of the book can get the updated information electronically.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

hentzau wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:35 pm
MonkeyFinger wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:37 am My D-Day Dice: 2nd Edition box o' stuff arrived yesterday, including the resurrected by Word Forge Games Airborne in Your Pocket game that I pledged for WAY back when from someone else. Seeing issues in the KS comments about people missing components or even the base game, need to go back over my pledge and check everything, it would seem.
I got mine in over the weekend. I think I have everything, but I will double check. I was a bit confused by the fact that I got two boxes of the core set, but realized that one of them was just maps and cards, so that's the upgrade for the old version that I have. Did you get the giant neoprene mat beach as well? Wonder if they have special rules for it?

I have the core box, three large expansion boxes, two small ones and a "pocket" version along with AiYP. No giant beach map, don't even recall that being a thing. I have ton of first edition stuff, guessing with the new core box one doesn't really need to upgrade the old version? Now I'm wondering if I should have snagged that... or maybe I did and it wasn't in the box. :think:
-mf
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Saw this today: Wonderland's War. I am a sucker for all things Alice but decided to just back this at the $1 level just to keep an eye on it and perhaps join the madness when the pledge manager opens.
-mf
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:21 am

I have the core box, three large expansion boxes, two small ones and a "pocket" version along with AiYP. No giant beach map, don't even recall that being a thing. I have ton of first edition stuff, guessing with the new core box one doesn't really need to upgrade the old version? Now I'm wondering if I should have snagged that... or maybe I did and it wasn't in the box. :think:
Checked my DDD pledge and shipping notice:

Your shipment contains the following items:
1x D-Day Dice Veteran Bundle
1x Upgrade Set
1x Airborne in Your Pocket

I have no "Upgrade Set". :( Sent them an email. Also, does anyone know what the contents of the "DDD KS" ziplock bag are for? Two boards with counter wheels for tracking something plus 10 more dice and some cards - 14 small and 2 larger ones? The 2 are marked for War Stories but not sure about everything else. :?
-mf
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:50 pm
Lordnine wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:07 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:31 am $780K in a six day campaign for Conan? KS has definitely turned a corner.
Monolith revealed their funding goal along with a press release in advance. Basically, $780K is what it costs to make a mini heavy game like Conan and turn a profit. Instead of leading people on with fake stretch goals they just threw everything into the pledge level to begin with. I actually really respect the honesty as most people have known for a long time that campaigns like those run by CMON are largely BS when it comes to stretch goals and only there to drive up hype.
...and canceled. They say that they made a mistake, ignored the community, and that they'll be back with a smaller, less ambitious release built around Conan's adventure mode later on.
It just relaunched. Much better campaign, and a very small number of copies of the original KS exclusives available at a huge discount.

/edit - and 2/3 funded after five minutes.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Funded in 15 minutes. 3/4 of the limited first KS content is gone.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Endgadget
A group of 85 Kickstarter employees have voted to unionize, aligning themselves with a branch of the Office and Professional Employees International Union in New York.
Kickstarter chief Aziz Hasan said his company would "support and respect" the decision, although there are signs that it might have opposed the move. The crowdfunding site's early stance was "disappointing," OPEIU said. Former employees have also accused Kickstarter of union-busting by firing people trying to organize unions, although the company has disputed those claims.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That Batman: Animated Series Shadow of the Bat game is looking mighty tempting. However, the co-op and solo game would have to be really strong for me to bite. I know this system is primarily asymmetrical so I don't know how well they've implemented the co-op. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with the Ninja Turtles game?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:12 am
MonkeyFinger wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:21 am

Checked my DDD pledge and shipping notice:

Your shipment contains the following items:
1x D-Day Dice Veteran Bundle
1x Upgrade Set
1x Airborne in Your Pocket

I have no "Upgrade Set". :( Sent them an email. Also, does anyone know what the contents of the "DDD KS" ziplock bag are for? Two boards with counter wheels for tracking something plus 10 more dice and some cards - 14 small and 2 larger ones? The 2 are marked for War Stories but not sure about everything else. :?
I put together the boards and used the extra dice in my D-Day Dice Pocket set. Haven't separated out the cards yet.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Turns out I should have paid more attention when you said one core box was the upgrade set. I hadn't taken the shrink wrap off yet and was wondering why I would have bought the core game again when I have a crap ton of stuff from the original campaign. Turns out my pledge level was for the expansions only and I added in the upgrade set. In my defense, the image of the upgrade set box on the KS page shows "Upgrade Set" in large letters across the front, which is what I was looking for but it makes more sense I suppose to have it come in the new core box. Stripped off the shrink wrap and there it was. D'oh. So, got everything. :oops:
-mf
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

BTW, the box insert for AiYP is the stupidest I've ever seen. The tiles have no place to go with the insert. I'm going to have to pitch the insert and bag everything.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've spent the last two weeks organizing and condensing my collection. Probably for another thread, but I should take a photo of all the boxes I'm chucking because of poor insert/storage options. The amount of wasted space or under-utilized existing storage is mind boggling. Maybe it's only noticeable when you get to a certain size in your collection, but I'm really coming to appreciate KS projects that have well-thought out storage included with the boxes.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I am personally loathe to get rid of unneeded parts of games, but realizing that I had one box worth of stuff spread out between one core box and four expansion boxes, plus a small stack of empty boxes while at the same time running out of space made me smack myself and wise up a little.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Eclipse 2.0 has shipped and is on the way to me. Just got the email today. Anyone else get the email?
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

RMC wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:55 pm Eclipse 2.0 has shipped and is on the way to me. Just got the email today. Anyone else get the email?
I ended up not sticking with my pledge. I did not like the way the KS was run and assumed that I would be able to get the game at retail for roughly the same price after release since there were very few exclusives. We'll see if that holds true. I would love to hear your impressions of it though!
RMC

Post by RMC »

Lordnine wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:16 pm
RMC wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:55 pm Eclipse 2.0 has shipped and is on the way to me. Just got the email today. Anyone else get the email?
I ended up not sticking with my pledge. I did not like the way the KS was run and assumed that I would be able to get the game at retail for roughly the same price after release since there were very few exclusives. We'll see if that holds true. I would love to hear your impressions of it though!
I will let you know as soon as I get it. The Matt, which I got a while ago, was very nice, and is perfect for the game. Double-sided, and comes with a case. So I am happy with that part of it. Once I see the washed ships, and the rest of the components, I will let veveryone know.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Yeah not getting the mat is the one thing I regret about backing out. If I had been able to pledge for just that I would have.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I have my email too. I got everything but the mat. I’ll likely get a new mat for the whole table.

Organizing my board game collection started out as a necessity due to trying to fit everything in one closet. My new house has space (two 5x5 Kallax) that is getting filled fast, so being the Martha Stewart of board gaming is no longer just OCD.

I also put my prepainted D&D mini collection in 4 sets of bolt bins on top of some Ikea drawers with the large figures. Which led to running D&D for my kids, which is a bonus.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tempted by the Batman:TAS KS, mostly because of the sculpts. But man, those prices.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

hentzau wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:14 pm Tempted by the Batman:TAS KS, mostly because of the sculpts. But man, those prices.
I know, I know. I love BTAS art style, I always have. I just don't know how I feel about the game. But I love those minis.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hentzau wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:14 pm Tempted by the Batman:TAS KS, mostly because of the sculpts. But man, those prices.
Just from a quick read of the KS page it looks like a fun game. I do have Street Masters which is a somewhat similar premise but the whole Batman universe really draws me in. Also there’s a Dark Knight mode which allows you to just play as a powered up Batman on his own.

Going to have to check out some video previews...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Eclipse arrived. The box is huge and fills 2/5 high of a Kallax bay.

Everything fits in the box, but the extra spaceships do not all fit in the player trays.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:13 am Eclipse arrived. The box is huge and fills 2/5 high of a Kallax bay.

Everything fits in the box, but the extra spaceships do not all fit in the player trays.
Mine should be here Thursday. :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Astroforce is now on KS.
Astroforce: The Dice Game is a reimplementation of Carl White's award winning print and play game: Star Trek: The Dice Game.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Eclipse Arrived. Big boxes, have to open it later in the week, as I have an upgrade and work stuff tonight. :)
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:04 pm Astroforce is now on KS.
Astroforce: The Dice Game is a reimplementation of Carl White's award winning print and play game: Star Trek: The Dice Game.
Interesting. Anyone back Pocket Landship? It's another WFG KS mentioned in a review for Astroforce that is just wrapping up fulfillment.
-mf
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:25 am
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:04 pm Astroforce is now on KS.
Interesting. Anyone back Pocket Landship? It's another WFG KS mentioned in a review for Astroforce that is just wrapping up fulfillment.
I did, but like the vast majority of my KS games, it is in my backlog pile. Haven't even opened it.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Tao

Post by Tao »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:25 am Saw this today: Wonderland's War. I am a sucker for all things Alice but decided to just back this at the $1 level just to keep an eye on it and perhaps join the madness when the pledge manager opens.
Well more than fully funded and about a day to go. This looks really interesting with some nice components for a decent price. Tempted but don't know that I would have anyone to play with.

Also way above funding level, Marvel United., and also about a day from closing. Seems to be a ton of highly detailed miniatures if you go all-in, but they have this odd Bobble-head or "Marvel Babies" style thing going on. Also seems a bit pricey although still cheaper than the Batman KS all-in.

Leaning more toward the Batman KS.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I pledged and all in for Marvel United, but then cancelled it. Other than the "Marvel Chibi" Minis, the game itself was basically a programming-type card play game. I didn't see anything that made the actual characters stand out, other than stuff like "Captain America gives moves to other people, Hulk does lots of damage, Captain Marvel moves fast." The gameplay looked decidely "meh." I would have been much happier with a Marvel-themed Arcadia Quest.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

If anyone is a fan of area control games with a cool theme Steamwatchers is worth a look. It looks like a version of the Game of Thrones boardgame but plays in about half the time and has the resource mechanic of Dune.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Categorickell - I saw this mentioned very favorably on Gaming Rules' latest vlog. It looks like a fun, quick, light card game.
Tao

Post by Tao »

With 32 hours to go for the Batman Animated Series KS, I broke down and went all in. I think they are up to 100 mini's at this point and still adding as more stretch goals are unlocked. Plus in the past week the Batman Animated Series has come up in unrelated conversations at least twice so I am taking it as a sign. Still debating what I will do if/when Wonderland Wars goes into Late Pledge mode.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I'd love to get it for the minis alone, but with a new move this year I just can't justify the cost. Hopefully I'll be able to nab it on a second printing or something down the road.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm pretty solidly a Batman fan, and the Animated Series is arguably the best non-print Batman out there, but I can't afford to drop more money on non-necessities for the time being - or for a while.

/edit - and damn, I just saw they have the Gray Ghost in there. That was one of my favorite episodes. And the Phantasm!

Next time!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

There have been quite a few KS games that have popped up in my FB feed that look interesting.

However, I’m going to wait and see how the only KS I’ve backed turns out (Middara), then gauge whether or not I’m interested in going down that road again. My guy says to be extremely leery of the whole process, but we’ll see.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I backed Middara as well and figure it’s pretty safe considering it’s a second run. In general, I’m KS shy unless I’m highly confident that the game is great - and that usually means it’s already come out and they’re KSing a re-issue or expansion.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Starlight.

Gloomhaven in spaaaaace. Sort of anyway. Co-op campaign game with X-Wing style combat, ground missions, character leveling and ship upgrades. Seems neat.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Lawyer Up by Mike Gnade at Rock Manor.

Ex parte! But with cards.
Meticulously designed and developed by Samuel W. Bailey (Forbidden Stars, Talisman: Cataclysm) and Mike Gnade (Maximum Apocalypse, the Few and Cursed) over the last 4 years, Lawyer Up is an asymmetrical two-player courtroom drama card game where one player is the noble prosecution and the other the steadfast defense. Each game begins with the Discovery phase, where players draft vital evidence to support their case and bury evidence that might help their opponent. Next comes the Trial phase, where players call witnesses and play powerful arguments along with the evidence they drafted into their examination pools. To form a coherent line of questioning, players will need to chain together their cards by matching bias symbols. The player who can best examine the Witness by generating the most influence will spend the difference to sway the Jury to their side. Every game is different, but the lawyer with the best case and most convincing arguments will be sure to get the verdict they are after!
Card art is really, really good (IMHO)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Lordnine wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:36 pm Starlight.

Gloomhaven in spaaaaace. Sort of anyway. Co-op campaign game with X-Wing style combat, ground missions, character leveling and ship upgrades. Seems neat.
Yeah I backed it. But I’m following it closely because they’re really trying to accomplish a lot and have no problem canceling if I think it's going to fall short. But if they pull it off it should be a fun game.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?