Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Montag

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Montag »

Enlarge Image

I just didn't care for the Wrath of Khan uniforms. I do like the newer Trek films uniform style.
words
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The Vatican tweaks U.S. conservative Catholics.
Two close associates of Pope Francis have accused American Catholic ultraconservatives of making an alliance of “hate” with evangelical Christians to back President Trump, further alienating a group already out of the Vatican’s good graces.

The authors, writing in a Vatican-vetted journal, singled out Stephen K. Bannon, Mr. Trump’s chief strategist, as a “supporter of an apocalyptic geopolitics” that has stymied action against climate change and exploited fears of migrants and Muslims with calls for “walls and purifying deportations.”

The article warns that conservative American Catholics have strayed dangerously into the deepening political polarization in the United States. The writers even declare that the worldview of American evangelical and hard-line Catholics, which is based on a literal interpretation of the Bible, is “not too far apart’’ from jihadists.

It is not clear if the article, appearing in La Civiltà Cattolica, received the pope’s direct blessing, but it was extraordinary coming from a journal that carries the Holy See’s seal of approval.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Trump colludes with Russia, the Pope colludes with the Chinese. The Pope is at least serving the Catholic Church's goal of being allowed to operate freely in a foreign state.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
The Vatican announced Monday that it would open up its secret archives on the World War II papacy of Pope Pius XII, whom some scholars have accused of keeping silent about the Holocaust.

Jewish organizations have long called for the Vatican’s archives from this period to be made accessible, saying the then-pope turned a blind eye to the systematic persecution of Jews by Nazi Germany and fascist Italy. But Pius’s actions during this period are up for debate, and others say he worked behind the scenes to help Jews.

“The church is not afraid of history,” Pope Francis told members of the Vatican’s Secret Archives division. He said the period of Pius’s papacy from 1939 to 1958 would be opened to researchers on March 2, 2020.
Pius was declared “venerable” in 2009, part of the process toward sainthood. But the questions about his conduct during the war have likely slowed or stalled the process. Three of the four popes that succeeded Pius XII have already been sainted, including Paul VI last year.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Hill
A coalition of conservative Catholic clergy and academics have accused Pope Francis of heresy, citing what they call overly liberal positions on topics like religious diversity, homosexuality and communion for divorced Catholics.

“We take this measure as a last resort to respond to the accumulating harm caused by Pope Francis’s words and actions over several years, which have given rise to one of the worst crises in the history of the Catholic Church,” the coalition wrote in a 20-page letter to the College of Bishops, published Tuesday by the conservative Catholic site LifeSiteNews.

The letter singles out the 2016 papal document “Amoris Laetitia” (The Joy of Love) for special criticism. In the document, Francis called for making the Catholic Church more welcome toward “imperfect” members, such as divorced Catholics who have remarried in civil ceremonies.

Church law does not allow remarried divorced people who have not received an annulment to receive communion unless they abstain from sex with their current spouse. Francis called for flexibility on this doctrine, allowing priests and bishops to make case-by-case decisions.

The letter also lambastes Francis for saying Martin Luther’s intentions in sparking the Protestant Reformation “were not mistaken,” and for signing a joint 2016 statement with Lutheran leaders expressing gratitude for the Reformation’s “theological gifts.”
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Oh yeah, he's much worse than the systemic coverup of abuse. (one of the) Worst crisis in the history of the church, for sure. I'm certain God is simply furious.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I like Pope Francis. He seems like a good man... Unlike Benedict who always had a sneer on his face like he just got through skinning a barrel full of puppies.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

You know, I always wondered about that. Why the heck did ol Benedict always sneer at the cameras?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RDF - resting demon face
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:20 am RDF - resting demon face
:lol:
disarm

Post by disarm »

Maybe this explains it...Image
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I think a Pope using Force Lightening would spike the conversion rate considerably.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:42 am WaPo
The Vatican announced Monday that it would open up its secret archives on the World War II papacy of Pope Pius XII, whom some scholars have accused of keeping silent about the Holocaust.
NPR
After decades of pressure from historians and Jewish groups, the Vatican on Monday began allowing scholars access to the archives of Pope Pius XII, the controversial World War II-era pontiff.
More than 150 scholars have applied to study documents covering his papacy, which lasted from 1939 to 1958. Typically, the Vatican waits 70 years after the end of a pontificate to open its archives to scholars.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:57 pm The Hill
A coalition of conservative Catholic clergy and academics have accused Pope Francis of heresy, citing what they call overly liberal positions on topics like religious diversity, homosexuality and communion for divorced Catholics.

“We take this measure as a last resort to respond to the accumulating harm caused by Pope Francis’s words and actions over several years, which have given rise to one of the worst crises in the history of the Catholic Church,” the coalition wrote in a 20-page letter to the College of Bishops, published Tuesday by the conservative Catholic site LifeSiteNews.

The letter singles out the 2016 papal document “Amoris Laetitia” (The Joy of Love) for special criticism. In the document, Francis called for making the Catholic Church more welcome toward “imperfect” members, such as divorced Catholics who have remarried in civil ceremonies.

Church law does not allow remarried divorced people who have not received an annulment to receive communion unless they abstain from sex with their current spouse. Francis called for flexibility on this doctrine, allowing priests and bishops to make case-by-case decisions.

The letter also lambastes Francis for saying Martin Luther’s intentions in sparking the Protestant Reformation “were not mistaken,” and for signing a joint 2016 statement with Lutheran leaders expressing gratitude for the Reformation’s “theological gifts.”
Check me if I'm wrong, but these are the same people who think Trump is fit to be President, correct?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:21 pm Check me if I'm wrong, but these are the same people who think Trump is fit to be President, correct?
It's 20 cranks who are reactionary enough to believe that the Vatican should still be strenuously denouncing Protestantism.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Holman wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:52 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:21 pm Check me if I'm wrong, but these are the same people who think Trump is fit to be President, correct?
It's 20 cranks who are reactionary enough to believe that the Vatican should still be strenuously denouncing Protestantism.
It's much more than that (although still a small minority). I had no idea they existed until I moved to my current parish. One priest thinks any music made after the 1300s is sacreligious. It's kind of nuts.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Pope Francis has criticized couples who choose to have pets instead of children as selfish, arguing that their decision to forgo parenthood leads to a loss of "humanity" and is a detriment to civilization.

The Pope made the comments Wednesday while speaking to a general audience about Saint Joseph, Jesus' earthly father.

Francis was lauding Joseph's decision to bring up Jesus as "among the highest forms of love" when he veered into the topic of adoption and orphaned children today. He then turned his focus on couples that opt for animals instead of children.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:29 am CNN
Pope Francis has criticized couples who choose to have pets instead of children as selfish, arguing that their decision to forgo parenthood leads to a loss of "humanity" and is a detriment to civilization.

The Pope made the comments Wednesday while speaking to a general audience about Saint Joseph, Jesus' earthly father.

Francis was lauding Joseph's decision to bring up Jesus as "among the highest forms of love" when he veered into the topic of adoption and orphaned children today. He then turned his focus on couples that opt for animals instead of children.
Okay Silent...