Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Running

Post by Zaxxon »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:24 pm I *really* wish I didn't thoroughly hate running on the treadmill. I have a pretty nice one... and I hates it. Of course I also hate running in general, but I hate the treadmill more.
Oh yeah, running outside >>>>>> hamster wheel. Same goes with biking vs. torture bike.

But I need to kickstart myself again and the hamster wheel is the least-embarrassing means to do so. My wife (and our boarder) have taken it up again over the last couple of weeks, but I'm expected to feed everyone when I get home from work and I absolutely cannot run at all on a full stomach. Twice in the last week I did take a leisurely stroll on the thing, though.
Last edited by Jeff V on Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I still prefer my treadmill. In my nice cool basement, catching up on TV on my tablet. Was running outside this weekend, because of our new "winter" climate, and the wind was hurting my ears. It's a better workout out on the road, but there's no ear-aches in my basement. :D

I also was reading up on my next marathon coming up this weekend. I was pleasantly surprised to be reminded that the course is almost entirely downhill. Woo-hoo! I can roll to the finish line if I have to!

(And good weather too! Hate running these things in the rain.)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've been running consistently 3-4 times a week since the start of the year doing 10K training, and I've noticed a DRASTIC improvement. One thing the 10k training does is force you into a consistent pace, and this is something I'd never done in previous training. I don't think I've ever had a consistent speed or cadence up until this point, and that was probably contributing to my inconsistent endurance. The training has helped me zero in on a zone that's really comfortable, and my mileage has shot up as a result.

One reason I've been so focused on cardio is for Spartan classes starting back up last week. Last season, I often struggled during the running sections of class which really bugged me. Running was the one thing I actually had a bit of experience in, so it was irritating that I felt so weak in the one area of the class I should be able to at least hold my own.

The consistency definitely paid off, as in my first Spartan class this past weekend I absolutely cruised through two .6 mile runs, and two .75 mile runs. It was an enormous relief. Now I feel like I can focus on stuff that I'm a relative newbie at like the obstacles and strength training.

I know for you marathoners out there such distances seem like baby stuff, but I've never been a long distance runner. 3 miles has pretty much been my limit since I started running a few years ago. I'm a big old plodding Clydesdale, so any time I can pull off a 2 or 3 mile stretch I'm a happy camper.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Congratulations on the breakthrough. Keep it up!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice job, YK. Sounds like you're past the hardest part, which is getting some consistency. Sky's the limit now.

As for me, I'm still slowly but surely recovering from the Achilles issue. I've been taking mileage increases very slowly and backing off if I get any significant pain, so progress has been slow but continuing upward. I'm now at 20-25 miles/week, and had a 7.5-miler this weekend at an 8:40 pace. Still not where I'd like to be, but that's the first time I've gone over 7 miles since my last half-marathon in April.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Woo-hoo! Health is always taken for granted until you lose it. :)
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:17 pm and had a 7.5-miler this weekend at an 8:40 pace.
It kills me that this is you recovering. That's me on a good day. :? :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:20 pmIt kills me that this is you recovering. That's me on a good day. :? :D
Definitely don't ask Kurth for his times, then.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Used to do 10 miles (a couple hundred feet negative elevation change) in under an hour.

I *might* be able to do 10 miles in under two hours now. 7.5 at sun-9 minute pace is a dream at this point... mostly because I run approximately 10 times a year. I am ahead of pace this year with 3 runs so far (thanks climate change)!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I was young once, too. Haven't been for awhile now, tho.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:30 pm I was young once, too. Haven't been for awhile now, tho.
You're still younger than I was a couple of times that you encouraged me to try things I've never done before like my first Half Marathon and Dances with Dirt.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Whew. I've run 7 of the past 8 days, and today was 4.5 at an 8:11 pace. Achilles is starting to feel it, so I think this is about my limit for now. Still, improvement. I will take it!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:28 pm Used to do 10 miles (a couple hundred feet negative elevation change) in under an hour.

I *might* be able to do 10 miles in under two hours now. 7.5 at sun-9 minute pace is a dream at this point... mostly because I run approximately 10 times a year. I am ahead of pace this year with 3 runs so far (thanks climate change)!
9.3 miles in a month. I guess I really have slowed down.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:09 pm
coopasonic wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:28 pm Used to do 10 miles (a couple hundred feet negative elevation change) in under an hour.

9.3 miles in a month. I guess I really have slowed down.
Slow and steady...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just to differentiate, my sister-in-law who never ran a step before her 46th birthday (and is two months older than I am, turning 48 this month) and had stents put in after collapsing on a run back in September started March off with a half marathon yesterday on the 35th anniversary of the day her father died from complications of heart surgery. I, on the other, had two lunches and played video games plus a couple of games of pool with the kids.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:15 pm Just to differentiate, my sister-in-law who never ran a step before her 46th birthday (and is two months older than I am, turning 48 this month) and had stents put in after collapsing on a run back in September started March off with a half marathon yesterday on the 35th anniversary of the day her father died from complications of heart surgery. I, on the other, had two lunches and played video games plus a couple of games of pool with the kids.
So you're saying you're both pretty accomplished?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

We've each got our own skills and accomplishments yes.

My steam level and xbox gamerscores crush hers!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I topped 100 miles run for the first time in... awhile last month.

Not so much on the gaming lately, outside of Slay the Spire.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My goal is to run 100 miles this year which would be nearly double my total mileage from last year. I did 97 the year we did the Ragnar.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:08 pm Whew. I've run 7 of the past 8 days, and today was 4.5 at an 8:11 pace. Achilles is starting to feel it, so I think this is about my limit for now. Still, improvement. I will take it!
What are you running in these days? The new Nike React Infinity Runs are supposed to be great for injury prevention, specifically the kind of wear and tear injuries that mount with age. A little pricey, but there are discounts to be had.

Some reviews:
https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/gear/sh ... inity-run/
https://www.jackrabbit.com/info/blog/ni ... run-review
https://www.roadrunnersports.com/blog/n ... un-review/
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I've been in Altra Escalantes primarily since early 2018. Still have my Asics Gel Kayanos that I use periodically to break things up (it's a very different shoe, with a bunch of bulk vs the zero-drop Escalante).
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I just bought some Hoka One One Gaviotas a couple of months back on the recommendation from a friend and absolutely love them. I like a lot of support though, so YMMV depending on your tolerance for a super thick sole (fortunately they're still fairly light).

I ditched the 10K training as I could tell I was trying to do too much too fast - I was not completing workouts, having to repeat workouts, etc. I think I was being a bit too ambitious out of the gate after really not having run consistently for the better part of last year. While it definitely got me back to a good place (see previous post), I just wasn't quite at the level week after week that the training expected me to be.

So last week I reset, and started back in with a 5K course. When I started back this year, I couldn't run 3 miles. So why was I trying to run 6? Figured I would master this course over 6 weeks, then start back on the 10K with a solid foundation.

Fortunately I'm really loving this course. It's one of the trainer-led ones from Asics through Runkeeper Pro, and she goes into breathing technique, the mental side of running, posture, etc. I've already found getting a refresher on those fundamentals hugely beneficial. When I tackle the 10K course again around mid-April, I think I'm going to be in a much better position for success.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm using GTS-19 from Brooks. Just about to retire a pair. Not sure if the 20s are out yet or not though.

I'm up to 176.67 miles run and 31.15 miles swum (?) for the year. My pace is ahead for both to achieve my goals for the year. I'm finding the every other day between swimming and running to provide a nice mental challenge.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Apparently I am still using my Saucony Guide-8s that I bought in 2015. They look like hell after Zaxxon made me run up and down a mountain. I should replace those one day, but not with $160 shoes!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I replace mine every 500 miles. I should probably do it closer to 400, but they are $120 shoes!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote:I replace mine every 500 miles. I should probably do it closer to 400, but they are $120 shoes!
One tactic that works for me is to get laast year's model of my shoe on Amazon. I routinely get $30-$40 off retail and this has been the case for around a decade, across brands.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I try that but I need 4E width and that is rarely available as back stock.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote:I try that but I need 4E width and that is rarely available as back stock.
That would make it difficult, for sure. I'm lucky in that I'm probably one of the most popular sizes out there.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:54 pm
stessier wrote:I try that but I need 4E width and that is rarely available as back stock.
That would make it difficult, for sure. I'm lucky in that I'm probably one of the most popular sizes out there.
24 extra long isn't THAT popular. :horse:
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Shoes, Jeff. Shoes.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:50 pm Apparently I am still using my Saucony Guide-8s that I bought in 2015. They look like hell after Zaxxon made me run up and down a mountain. I should replace those one day, but not with $160 shoes!
If you want to give the Infinity’s a shot, I can hook you up with a guest pass for a discount. Feel free to PM me.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:42 pm Shoes, Jeff. Shoes.
Just trying to pump you up, man. :D
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My current running shoes (Brooks) are probably around 5 years old now, but since I'm pretty diligent replacing them every 500 miles, that gives you some idea how little running I've done.

A few weeks ago I dared the treadmill and managed an hour run, at the end running at 7.4 mph. That surprised me, although I felt in the following days. I just can't fit in regular running right now, I'd love to get back to the point where I could at least do the Shamrock Shuffle again. There's still time though for a 4 mile local run at an Indy beer and music fest at the end of June. Maybe I should focus on the 2 mile option...that is more of a walk but my kids ran as far as they could last year...it was amazing to see how focused and determined my then 2-year old was as she ran a good half-mile before caving into fatigue.
Black Lives Matter
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Kurth wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:39 pm
coopasonic wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:50 pm Apparently I am still using my Saucony Guide-8s that I bought in 2015. They look like hell after Zaxxon made me run up and down a mountain. I should replace those one day, but not with $160 shoes!
If you want to give the Infinity’s a shot, I can hook you up with a guest pass for a discount. Feel free to PM me.
I'll take you up on that. LOL :twisted: :ninja:

Nike.com also has the Epic React flyknit 2 on sale. Some colors are $81 others are $89. sizes vary, but still a good deal for (originally) $150 shoes.

I do want to try the infinities when they are on sale, though.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've been WFH since 3/11... 7 weeks... working from home should make it super easy to get a run in. I haven't run a single time in those 7 weeks.

What is motivation? Where do you find it?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:14 am What is motivation? Where do you find it?
If you're like me right now, imagine that motivation is at the tips of your shoes. Then run until you can see the tips of your shoes again.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:14 am I've been WFH since 3/11... 7 weeks... working from home should make it super easy to get a run in. I haven't run a single time in those 7 weeks.

It has been hard for me, too, largely because I hate running with a mask with the heat of a thousand suns and our running paths have been over... over... overrun with people since they can't do anything else outside the home. So I go early, or I don't go.

I did run a spontaneous half-marathon on Saturday, though, which was awesome. My 'real' race earlier this month was canceled, so it was nice to complete the half on my own. I paid for it, though. These old bones don't much like doing very little for weeks and then going 13.1.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:14 am I've been WFH since 3/11... 7 weeks... working from home should make it super easy to get a run in. I haven't run a single time in those 7 weeks.

Motivation doesn't work as well as routine. If you just make yourself get in 2-3 runs a week, tell yourself it's something you have to do, then after a couple weeks it just feels more automatic.

Another trick I read that works well for me is the concept of micro-routines. Instead of thinking "ok self, go for a run", just think of the easiest first step of the process. "Ok self, take my running shorts out of the closet." That's easier to gear yourself up for, and next thing you know you're putting on the shorts, putting on your running shoes, and then actually going for the run. Convince yourself to do that easy first step and the rest of the routine can fall into place.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:23 am
coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:14 am What is motivation? Where do you find it?
If you're like me right now, imagine that motivation is at the tips of your shoes. Then run until you can see the tips of your shoes again.
Given those parameters, I don't need to run. Cool!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:31 am
Jeff V wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:23 am
Given those parameters, I don't need to run. Cool!
That makes one of us. :(

I'm still able to do a sub-hour 10K on the hamster wheel, I haven't even attempted running outdoors in several years now, despite having perfectly good paths all around my 'hood. Work schedules and kids are the main obstacles.
Black Lives Matter