[Feature request] Nitter instead of Twitter?

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Anonymous Bosch

[Feature request] Nitter instead of Twitter?

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Many users here embed Tweets in their posts, often with nothing else included. But privacy-minded folk like yours truly only see a URL that reads: "Cannot load tweet. Disable your adblocker and tracking protection."

It's basically impossible to access Twitter without JavaScript enabled (if you try, you're redirected to the legacy mobile version which has lousy functionality and looks terrible), but I prefer to block Twitter's JavaScript fingerprinting and IP-based tracking.

However, Nitter is a free and open source alternative Twitter front-end focused on privacy with no ads or JavaScript requirements. So while I'm able to manually copy and edit a posted Twitter link into a Nitter link it's rather tedious, so I was wondering if it would be possible to have the board automatically convert embedded Tweets to use Nitter instead?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hitbyambulance

Re: [Feature request] Nitter instead of Twitter?

Post by hitbyambulance »

+1 to this request
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Anytime a twitter link is posted without a c&p of the text I just figure, "Well, there's a part of the conversation I won't be part of."

I am unwilling to adjust my vpn settings. But then I don't expect anybody to put in extra effort just for me either.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:35 pm Many users here embed Tweets in their posts, often with nothing else included. But privacy-minded folk like yours truly only see a URL that reads: "Cannot load tweet. Disable your adblocker and tracking protection."

It's basically impossible to access Twitter without JavaScript enabled (if you try, you're redirected to the legacy mobile version which has lousy functionality and looks terrible), but I prefer to block Twitter's JavaScript fingerprinting and IP-based tracking.

However, Nitter is a free and open source alternative Twitter front-end focused on privacy with no ads or JavaScript requirements. So while I'm able to manually copy and edit a posted Twitter link into a Nitter link it's rather tedious, so I was wondering if it would be possible to have the board automatically convert embedded Tweets to use Nitter instead?
I don't hate the idea, I just don't know how I would go about doing that to be honest. A quick search on PhpBB3 and 'Nitter' got me nowhere.
No.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

FishPants wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:21 am
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:35 pm Many users here embed Tweets in their posts, often with nothing else included. But privacy-minded folk like yours truly only see a URL that reads: "Cannot load tweet. Disable your adblocker and tracking protection."

I don't hate the idea, I just don't know how I would go about doing that to be honest. A quick search on PhpBB3 and 'Nitter' got me nowhere.
I suspect it's as simple as replacing "Twitter.com" with "Nitter.net" in the phpBB code that embeds tweets within posts.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:34 am
FishPants wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:21 am

I suspect it's as simple as replacing "Twitter.com" with "Nitter.net" in the phpBB code that embeds tweets within posts.
Yeah I get that, but custom modding a mod makes life difficult on future upgrades.. what's (finally) turned into more or less a click and accept upgrade now turns into manually editing mods -- plus I'm not sure that would address historical posts either (so tomorrow it's nitter, yesterday it remains twitter). I may be too old for this, I'm sure there's a JSON script (did I say that right kids?) that could do this for me.
No.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

FishPants wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:23 pm I'm sure there's a JSON script (did I say that right kids?) that could do this for me.
For the record, no. ;)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter