The 4th Estate Thread Has Surrendered

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

pr0ner

Re: The Semi-Official Death Watch of the 4th Estate Thread

Post by pr0ner »

There are no words. Way to go, MSNBC and the NYT.

Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Cringe worthy. Keep in mind there is a bit of a pipeline to get that from Twitter to your tv screen, folks.

Last edited by malchior on Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

The "journalist" who sent that tweet is flogging her Washington Post byline, among others. For some reason, her twitter account is protected at the moment. I can't imagine why... :think:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

So if I have $500 dollars I could give each American $1 and still have money left over?

Here's what I'm going to do. I'm goin to give every American $1 and then all they have to do is give it back to me and I'll have $327M. Then I'll give them all $1M. Poverty solved!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It would actually take only $327 billion to do this. So Bezos plus Gates plus Soros plus Bloomberg and Buffett could probably do it.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:19 pm It would actually take only $327 billion to do this. So Bezos plus Gates plus Soros plus Bloomberg and Buffett could probably do it.
Would make an interesting thought experiment. Or novel. I don't think it would go over too well.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:51 pm
Jaymann wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:19 pm It would actually take only $327 billion to do this. So Bezos plus Gates plus Soros plus Bloomberg and Buffett could probably do it.
Would make an interesting thought experiment. Or novel. I don't think it would go over too well.
I imagine it'll wind up like what happens with a lot of big lottery winners - they'll not know what to do with having actual money, blow it all, and be back to broke again in no time.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:46 pm
I imagine it'll wind up like what happens with a lot of big lottery winners - they'll not know what to do with having actual money, blow it all, and be back to broke again in no time.
A ton of people wild quit working and prices for everything would skyrocket due to unchecked demand and lack of production.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:23 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:46 pm
A ton of people wild quit working and prices for everything would skyrocket due to unchecked demand and lack of production.
I didn't even think about that aspect of it.

$1M wouldn't be enough to get me to quit working.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Housing prices would be interesting too. I assume it would be all new construction and then loan defaults.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

It isn't like they'd give people cash. If this happened it'd be wealth in the form of stocks in a company. So we'd probably see chaos as their major companies fall into in-fighting as controlling interests duke it out. There'd be intense selling driving down value of those stocks and yes the house price thing. House prices are usually tied to income but this would upend everything and underwriters wouldn't know what to do if they didn't just quit outright. And forget the insanity that'd happen at the service/production/manufacturing level. It's a fun thought experiment but it'd be potentially civilization wrecking. :)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:17 pm It isn't like they'd give people cash. If this happened it'd be wealth in the form of stocks in a company. So we'd probably see chaos as their major companies fall into in-fighting as controlling interests duke it out. There'd be intense selling driving down value of those stocks and yes the house price thing. House prices are usually tied to income but this would upend everything and underwriters wouldn't know what to do if they didn't just quit outright. And forget the insanity that'd happen at the service/production/manufacturing level. It's a fun thought experiment but it'd be potentially civilization wrecking. :)
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Dump a million fish on a man, he'll probably die.

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just for the record, it would take 327 TRILLION dollars.
American households held over $98 trillion of wealth in 2018.
Sounds like will come up a little short. Maybe Putin could pitch in.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

If Trump is suing CNN, Times and the Post over opinion articles, then it’s time for Democrats to sue FOX News and the Republican investigations. Hillary Clinton alone could put them out of business.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:41 pm If Trump is suing CNN, Times and the Post over opinion articles, then it’s time for Democrats to sue FOX News and the Republican investigations. Hillary Clinton alone could put them out of business.
He should be sued for "people say" and "people tell me...". It's his ways to say whatever the fuck he wants.

"Some people say Sleepy Joe had sex with a gay Mexican potato..." *shrugs*

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Trump threatens to remove 75-80% of the press from a briefing because "they're sitting too close" in response to a question about "guidance for Congress" on a relief bill. Instead, he wants "just 2 or 3 that he likes" in the briefing room.

What's there to know? Trump thinks Congress is in quarantine but "by far, most people get better." Trump is an idiot who is blathering on with no clue, and the press legitimizes him by treating him as an adult.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Try again.

giving 327,000,000 people $1,000,000 would take $327,000,000,000,000

$327 trillion.
:geek:

so, we would need about 5,000 more philanthropist of the caliber you describe, in order to cover the experiment.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Unagi wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:18 pm
Try again.

$327 trillion.

so, we would need about 5,000 more philanthropist of the caliber you describe, in order to cover the experiment.
Coop BAM'ed you 4 posts up.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For some reason the old movie Brewster's Millions came to mind.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:14 pm
Unagi wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:18 pm
Try again.

$327 trillion.

Coop BAM'ed you 4 posts up.
:doh: :D
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:26 am There are no words. Way to go, MSNBC and the NYT.

Have they acknowledged this mistake yet ?
malchior

Post by malchior »

James Murdoch Suggests His Dad’s Empire Has Ruined America
FTFH

Holman

Post by Holman »

Why does the mainsream press still pretend that we even have a president at this point?

Plus, WTH is that "NAMED sources" dig?

The NYT and WaPo articles I've seen on this are all structured as interviews with (named) researchers. Does he just assume that all news harmful to his narrative comes from WH leakers?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Perhaps the NYT should just start using the phrase: “people are saying...”, just to force Trump into being critical of that type of sourcing.
malchior

Post by malchior »

At this point I should just have a running thread of the times Maggie Haberman creatively avoided suggesting that Trump is engaging in deception.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Top comment here!

Fox News is doing the same thing it did in 2010 with the Tea Party
malchior

Post by malchior »

NY Times
President Trump has long pinned his hopes on the powers of sunlight to defeat the Covid-19 virus. On Thursday, he returned to that theme at the daily White House coronavirus briefing, bringing in a top administration scientist to back up his assertions and eagerly theorizing — dangerously, in the view of some experts — about the powers of sunlight, ultraviolet light and household disinfectants to kill the coronavirus.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Their bizarre need to be 'even-handed' becomes self-parody sometimes. If not for the coronavirus outbreak, they could have conducted a heartland diner interview to get some needed perspective here.

We've deleted an earlier tweet and updated a sentence in our article that implied that only "some experts" view the ingestion of household disinfectants as dangerous. To be clear, there is no debate on the danger.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Filed under: Both sides!

Holman

Post by Holman »

I was heartened today to realize that my local grocery store (serving a mostly working-class Philadelphia clientele) has gone out of its way to put The Atlantic on the racks at checkout.

Also, the National Enquirer, which is basically beating the drum for war with China, can eat shit.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior

Post by malchior »

NJ.com

Here is the headline: Coronavirus was spreading in N.J. much earlier than first thought. Maybe as early as January.

Down in the body of the piece is the following part. (To paraphrase) We're gonna guess a little but why not go to the press with our non peer-reviewed assumptions. :doh:
“Right now the data are pointing, most likely, to early- to mid-February — but there’s certainly the possibility of cases emerging in late January,” said Stephanie Silvera, epidemiologist and professor of public health at Montclair State University.

Pinpointing exactly when the virus first emerged in New Jersey is difficult. Profound gaps in our collective knowledge remain. But experts continue to put the pieces together as they emerge.

And from those pieces, the consensus is growing: The coronavirus was here much earlier than previously thought.

“I am speculating that it was here in January,” said Dr. David Cennimo, epidemiologist at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, in an email. “That is based on the retrospective reports of deaths on the West Coast in early February.”
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Where was it in the hospitals and the death counts in January? I meant it could have been, but there would be evidence, we wouldn’t have to speculate.

We know it spreads fast. We know it has a higher hospitalization rate than the flu. We know those hospital stays are lengthy and have a high rate of needing an ICU.

The first known case in NJ didn’t start showing symptoms until Mar 4. That dude was in the hospital for three weeks and is home but still on oxygen.

Knowing how fast this spreads when unrestrained by social distancing and lockdowns - where is the evidence that this was here, silently for almost two months before this guy ended up in Urgent Care?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:02 pm Knowing how fast this spreads when unrestrained by social distancing and lockdowns - where is the evidence that this was here, silently for almost two months before this guy ended up in Urgent Care?
I need you to post on all a lot of walls in FB. I feel like screaming that at every person who says they haven't been tested it went through their family in January.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The Atlantic has been killing it but re-structuring nonetheless due to pandemic effect on its business.

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

LordMortis wrote:I need you to post on all a lot of walls in FB. I feel like screaming that at every person who says they haven't been tested it went through their family in January.
From the first known case, to it exploding in NJ, there was no doubt at all that it was here. The idea that it was here months earlier, with no hospitalizations, I don’t buy it.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
malchior

Post by malchior »

Hilarious op ed on...the WSJ opinion page. The comments are awe inspiring. The right and left have no bridge between them. The right inhabits a complete fantasy bubble that means reporting the truth is automatically categorized as left-wing propaganda. The comments are terrifying and all over the place. We have the person saying Trump didn't do great because he listened to Fauci and Birx *too much* and let them kill the economy. Or the people who said that they swept Obama's treason under the rug. It's full on madness.

The ‘Liberal Leaning’ Media Has Passed Its Tipping Point
About 35 years ago I was sitting at lunch next to Jeane Kirkpatrick, a onetime Democrat who became a foreign-policy adviser to President Reagan and later U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. She was lamenting what she called the “liberal leaning” media. As the president of CBS News, I assured her it was only a “liberal tilt” and could be corrected.

“You don’t understand,“ she scolded. “It’s too late.”

Kirkpatrick was prophetic. The highly influential daily newspapers in New York, Washington, Los Angeles and Boston are now decidedly liberal. On the home screen, the three broadcast network divisions still have their liberal tilt. Two of the three leading cable news sources are unrelentingly liberal in their fear and loathing of President Trump.

News organizations that claim to be neutral have long been creeping leftward, and their loathing of Mr. Trump has accelerated the pace. The news media is catching up with the liberalism of the professoriate, the entertainment industry, upscale magazines and the literary world. Recent arrivals are the late-night TV hosts who have broken the boundaries of what was considered acceptable political humor for networks.

About 35 years ago I was sitting at lunch next to Jeane Kirkpatrick, a onetime Democrat who became a foreign-policy adviser to President Reagan and later U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. She was lamenting what she called the “liberal leaning” media. As the president of CBS News, I assured her it was only a “liberal tilt” and could be corrected.

“You don’t understand,“ she scolded. “It’s too late.”

Kirkpatrick was prophetic. The highly influential daily newspapers in New York, Washington, Los Angeles and Boston are now decidedly liberal. On the home screen, the three broadcast network divisions still have their liberal tilt. Two of the three leading cable news sources are unrelentingly liberal in their fear and loathing of President Trump.

News organizations that claim to be neutral have long been creeping leftward, and their loathing of Mr. Trump has accelerated the pace. The news media is catching up with the liberalism of the professoriate, the entertainment industry, upscale magazines and the literary world. Recent arrivals are the late-night TV hosts who have broken the boundaries of what was considered acceptable political humor for networks.

To many journalists, objectivity, balance and fairness—once the gold standard of reporting—are not mandatory in a divided political era and in a country they believe to be severely flawed. That assumption folds neatly into their assessment of the president. To the journalists, including more than a few Republicans, he is a blatant vulgarian, an incessant prevaricator, and a dangerous leader who should be ousted next January, if not sooner. Much of journalism has become the clarion voice of the “resistance,” dedicated to ousting the president, even though he was legally elected and, according to the polls, enjoys the support of about 44% of likely 2020 voters.

This poses significant problems not only for Mr. Trump but for the media’s own standing. If Mr. Trump prevails in November, what’s the next act, if any, for journalists and the resistance? They will likely find Mr. Trump more dangerous and offensive in a second term than in the first.

More important, how will a large segment of the public ever put stock in journalism it considers hostile to the country’s best interests? Unfortunately, dominant media organizations have bonded with another large segment of the public—one that embraces its new approach. Pulling back from anti-Trump activism could prove commercially harmful.

On the other hand, how would the media respond to a Joe Biden victory (beyond exhilaration)? Will Mr. Biden be subjected to the rigor and skepticism imposed on Mr. Trump? Will he get a pass because he is a liberal and “not Trump”? The media’s protective coverage of the sexual-assault allegation against Mr. Biden is perhaps a clear and concerning preview to how his presidency would be covered.

The media seems uninterested in these issues of bias. But wouldn’t a softening of its editorial orientation bring new readers or viewers? Probably not. The growth of new customers would be more than offset by the defection of outraged members of the current audience. The news media seems very comfortable with its product and ability to sell it.

There’s probably no way to seal the gap between the media and a large segment of the public. The media likes what it is doing. Admires it. Celebrates it. There is no personal, professional or financial reason to change. If anything, the gap will expand. Ultimately, the media finds the “deplorables” deplorable.

Dan Abrams, ABC’s chief legal-affairs anchor and founder of the website Mediaite, has a novel but valuable idea for the media—candor. Speaking to the matter at February’s Rancho Mirage Writers Festival, Mr. Abrams said “I think the first thing that would help . . . is to admit . . . that the people in the media are left of center.”

It would be delightful if a publisher, an editor, a reporter, would just say: Yes, I am left of center! I’m proud of it. I think our reporting is accurate. It best serves the public. And the credibility of the media. So there!

Publications open about their bias might feel freer to focus on the specifics: story selection, presentation, facts, fairness, balance. Not devoid of subtlety for sure, but manageable.

Journalism affects social cohesion. Convinced of its role and its legitimacy, however, the media doesn’t seem to much care. And the other side can certainly enjoy throwing rotten tomatoes at distant targets.

But America won’t reunite until far more people can look at a news story in print or on the screen and, of all things, believe it.

Mr. Sauter was president of CBS News, 1982-83 and 1986.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wife has been a journalist of one stripe or another for 40+ years, and I have orbited the profession at varying degrees of removal over the years as well. We were both educated and trained in the post-Watergate era, when journalists were celebrated and objectivity was our grail. We strove to present all sides of any given story and keep our personal biases out of it.

The harm that trump has done to our country, and to the news media in particular, is so profound that journalists have to stand for truth now. Wife fought that idea until WaPo adopted "Democracy dies in darkness," because it soon became apparent that democracy is dying in broad daylight. It is our responsibility to resist. I cannot convey how seismic was Wife's shift to the proposition that truth matters more than objectivity when the truth is objectively under open assault every day.

I miss those more genteel days when we drilled for facts and trusted readers to draw accurate conclusions. That's not tenable when half the population can't recognize facts anymore. Mr Sauter is still living in the 1980s.