[TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rumpy

Re: [TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Post by Rumpy »

That's true. I don't remember there being any instance in which they weren't portrayed as the bad guys. I mean, it's strange within the concept of Starfleet. I can understand a secret organization as some form of protection within the service sort of like the CIA or MI5, but they're more like rogues without rules, which feels at odds with Starfleet's entire ideology. In terms of the role it served dramatically though, I think it was supposed to show that Starfleet wasn't as perfect as we all thought, that it had its own darkness. But we pretty much know that now and a S31 series wouldn't be as well served today.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:27 pm That's true. I don't remember there being any instance in which they weren't portrayed as the bad guys. I mean, it's strange within the concept of Starfleet. I can understand a secret organization as some form of protection within the service sort of like the CIA or MI5, but they're more like rogues without rules, which feels at odds with Starfleet's entire ideology. In terms of the role it served dramatically though, I think it was supposed to show that Starfleet wasn't as perfect as we all thought, that it had its own darkness. But we pretty much know that now and a S31 series wouldn't be as well served today.
Also Discovery isn't really "dark" or bleak. Especially given Burnham's arc on Season 1 - she goes from her mutiny in the first episode to wholeheartedly embracing Federation ideals and rejecting the Section 31 plot at the end because "this is not what Starfleet is", etc. Actually one thing I like quite a bit about discovery is that it maintains Star Trek idealism (so it's not like a gritty reboot or anything), but at the same time adds things like swearing, parties, and (frankly) distinct character personalities that make the universe feel a little more lived in.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh thank goodness. I was afraid I was the only one defending Discovery at this point.

And yes, Discovery does embrace Federation optimism and altruism FAR more than people who've only watched a few episodes of season 1 think.

I suspect a Section 31 series will be more about its leader (who was introduced...twice...in season 1 of Discovery) slowly comes to embrace everything that Starfleet espouses...although not without a lot of struggles.

And those Star Trek Shorts? Those are almost all fantastic. I can't recommend them enough. :wub:
Covfefe!
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Section 31 show is the one I'm least interested in. I don't want yet another show about how people who know better than the rest of us should be above the law.

I'll still give Section 31 a try, but I wish they were doing something else instead. I'm hoping the rumors of a Pike-focused show are true.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ydejin wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:23 pm Section 31 show is the one I'm least interested in. I don't want yet another show about how people who know better than the rest of us should be above the law.

I'll still give Section 31 a try, but I wish they were doing something else instead. I'm hoping the rumors of a Pike-focused show are true.
I wish they would do a show set in the Star Trek universe but outside of Starfleet. Well, I guess Picard fits that, but what would be really great would be a Romulan-based show (which would also end unemployment among makeup artists).
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id like it to follow Shran and the Andorians.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The other thing about Section 31 is that, at least in the TNG era (I haven't caught up on Discovery), not exactly a part of the Federation. They'd been disbanded. They weren't operating with Federation support or knowledge.

Sort of like if all all the intelligence people Trump fired decided to form their own agency to save the US in secret, and just happened to call themselves the OSS.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:31 pm Also Discovery isn't really "dark" or bleak. Especially given Burnham's arc on Season 1 - she goes from her mutiny in the first episode to wholeheartedly embracing Federation ideals and rejecting the Section 31 plot at the end because "this is not what Starfleet is", etc. Actually one thing I like quite a bit about discovery is that it maintains Star Trek idealism (so it's not like a gritty reboot or anything), but at the same time adds things like swearing, parties, and (frankly) distinct character personalities that make the universe feel a little more lived in.
I'm not so much talking about its content, but the tone and approach they chose to take. From the first few episodes on, it's quite clearly a darker Trek than we had seen to that point. I watched about 6-7 episodes of Season one before throwing in the towel and I feel I gave it an appropriate chance to impress me before I made up my mind. I felt the Klingon-War angle was poorly done and that was just the tip of the iceberg with the problems I had with it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You missed a lot of character and story arcs that brought it around to where it always was intending to go. It started dark because it needed to show that growth. You didn’t like it, that’s fine. But for this old Trek fan, it really is pretty damn faithful to the heart of Star Trek.
Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:32 pm Id like it to follow Shran and the Andorians.
Weren’t they at Woodstock?
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m a big fan of Picard’s Romulan domestics. I want them to have a spin-off series. Someone make it so.
Last edited by hepcat on Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:
And those Star Trek Shorts? Those are almost all fantastic. I can't recommend them enough. :wub:
The tribble episode was really good and you'll never look at the tribble in the same way again.

And I love Discovery! It's a good time to be a Star Trek fan and Discovery helped to get the ball rolling.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:I’m a big fan of Picard’s Romulon domestics. I want them to have a spin-off series. Someone make it so.
They're the Romulan Mr. and Mrs. Smith!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sheesh, I spelled Romulan wrong. I was fighting spellcheck over its desire to go with Romulus, in my defense.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I think it has to be told Romulus is destroyed.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:00 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:31 pm Also Discovery isn't really "dark" or bleak. Especially given Burnham's arc on Season 1 - she goes from her mutiny in the first episode to wholeheartedly embracing Federation ideals and rejecting the Section 31 plot at the end because "this is not what Starfleet is", etc. Actually one thing I like quite a bit about discovery is that it maintains Star Trek idealism (so it's not like a gritty reboot or anything), but at the same time adds things like swearing, parties, and (frankly) distinct character personalities that make the universe feel a little more lived in.
I'm not so much talking about its content, but the tone and approach they chose to take. From the first few episodes on, it's quite clearly a darker Trek than we had seen to that point. I watched about 6-7 episodes of Season one before throwing in the towel and I feel I gave it an appropriate chance to impress me before I made up my mind. I felt the Klingon-War angle was poorly done and that was just the tip of the iceberg with the problems I had with it.
That's fine, but mostly as an FYI the core arc of season 1 is Burnham coming around to fully embrace Federation idealism. There's also a late reveal about the Discovery captain which explains a lot about some of the early dark tones of the show.
Black Lives Matter.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:05 am
Rumpy wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:00 pm
That's fine, but mostly as an FYI the core arc of season 1 is Burnham coming around to fully embrace Federation idealism. There's also a late reveal about the Discovery captain which explains a lot about some of the early dark tones of the show.
And that's the thing. At the time, I really wasn't in the mood for the type of story it was trying to tell. The darker tone was at odds with what I wanted in a Trek show, so it had trouble getting off the ground for me, and given it being a serial type of show, I knew it wasn't going to change anytime soon. I might go back and check it out, but it wasn't exactly a priority for me.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:25 am and given it being a serial type of show, I knew it wasn't going to change anytime soon.
It did.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yes, I know that. But keep in mind if someone doesn't like the current direction, the disadvantage of it being a serial is that we have to sit through all that before getting to the good stuff. And for some, it's a bit much.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I even liked most of the stuff you hated, so I was fine. :P
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I realize that. Different strokes... ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its really nice to see these 3 just sit and talk together. Jonathan Frakes is 21 years older than Patrick Stewart when Stewart started as Captain Picard. Stewart was 47 and Jonathan is now 68. Geez. I remember when Frakes was on The Waltons as Ashley Longworth Jr and in Beulah Land.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought the constant introduction of classic characters would get cloying after a while, but damn if they don’t make it seem perfectly natural. I must admit to a tear or two every now and again whenever they touch a nostalgic nerve.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:I thought the constant introduction of classic characters would get cloying after a while, but damn if they don’t make it seem perfectly natural. I must admit to a tear or two every now and again whenever they touch a nostalgic nerve.
They actually have played the introduction of classic characters well and it's rather nice how they've even grown beyond their original characters.
Black lives matter!

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

When the Pakleds show up, though, it's gonna get weird.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It was perhaps my favourite episode to date, with the Freecloud episode being my least favourite.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Freecloud episode wasn’t great, but it did give Stewart a chance to ham it up. I appreciated that.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

For me, as a french speaker, it had the complete opposite effect. It took me out of the episode, and from that point on all I could see the episode as were silly shenanigans, and I couldn't even take the villainess seriously in falling for it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That’s why I said it was hammy.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I enjoyed seeing pimps in space with Patrick Stewart indulging himself. But I also thought the more serious Seven of Nine storyline was really well done.

The space spam pop-ups were pretty hysterical too.
Black lives matter!

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Picard was pretty awesome tonight. Lots of revelations tonight rather than just question after question. Lots of introspection. One of my favourite episodes. Although saying that, it made me realize that this really isn't TNG Picard, and they were more or less saying that in the lead up to the series. It's more like he's movie Picard, following the lines of the movies, and this series could easily have been a movie if it hadn't been for the fact that Trek movies at the moment aren't a hot priority and that Viacom and CBS were in the process of merging when this series was in production. Other than that, I could easily picture this as a movie re-introducing Picard.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Agreed. Great pair of episodes these past two weeks.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:55 pm Agreed. Great pair of episodes these past two weeks.
I fell asleep again. :oops:

I don't know what it is about this show - I'm enjoying it - but I fall asleep at least half the time we watch it.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Hmm, I might have to restart my Stellaris game over as an AI empire after watching this Thursday's episode... :think:
Black lives matter!

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You can watch CBS All Access for free with the code GIFT. Steward tweeted it out...so go watch all of Picard and if you're ok with the other thing you can watch Discovery. Or I guess anything on CBS.

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-trek- ... ck-stewart
Along with the code word "GIFT" (which unlocks the service until April 23), Stewart delivered the message to fans, "It's felt good to bring Picard back. I can't wait to reunite with our cast and crew for Season 2."
TV Shows to Watch in 2020
IGN has confirmed with CBS that the code unlocks the full CBS All Access library, not just Star Trek: Picard, and it's valid for both the commercial-free and limited commercial subscription tiers. There's never been a better time to finally binge Picard, Discovery, The Twilight Zone or the various other CBS All Access-exclusive series.
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Is season 1 complete?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:17 pm Is season 1 complete?
Finale is this coming Thurs.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just binge watched all episodes of Picard. Phew, that's some great ending in every episode so far, while leaving enough for you to go Holy ****, how will they get out of this one!

Now I need to catch up on Discovery too. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Alright, just watched the Picard season finale. It's great they are willing and able to do things no one else dared to do... KILL CHARACTERS permanently.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Loved this show from beginning to end except for
Spoiler:
The fake death of Picard. That just felt cheap and lazy. Then to include no transition between the scenes of everyone mourning his passing and his happy appearance alongside everyone on Rios’ ship was even more so. Heck, I even accepted Riker suddenly being given command of an armada after spending years making soufflés on Rikerton IV, but that faux death really annoyed me.
But other than that, it was a fantastic show.
Covfefe!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I found the ending disappointing.
Spoiler:
They seemed awfully trusting of a confessed murderer
Why didn't they just point out that the android help murder the other android to get them to reconsider their plan to invite super advanced androids?
The super advanced androids don't seem so advanced.
Why was Picard flying the ship when there are holograms to do it?
200+ Romulan ships was unnecessary and over the top (it could have been more effective and menacing if you just has a couple of dozen *done well*)
The synthban got overturned overnight? The Federation sends hundreds of ships to put a stop to the Romulans? (I mean, I guess maybe I can see that given that they apparently violated Federation space, given the enormous lapse of security that is, but it still feels surprising) And why the hell did they put Riker in command?
I guess the robot fixing tool is just a magic wand.
Picard's fake death and resurrection

And I still don't understand why "androids bad, while AI and holograms and other artificial life is ok"

Also, if you're going to bring people back for cameos, it would have been nice to have Geordi there for Data's death (maybe hosting a memorial service the way Data did for him and Ro when they thought they died)