[Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

em2nought

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by em2nought »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:07 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:59 pm You know it's bad when people are reduced to buying organic produce.
Tis true! There always seems to be plenty of that :D
Oh man, I didn't catch that right away. :shock:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:21 pm Yesterday somebody threw out dozens of TP rolls along side the freeway. What a mess. Why would someone do that?
Because people are ignorant pricks.
I've been practicing self isolation for most of my adult life.
Glad these morons are now giving me a reason other than I have never tolerated fools.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

In my family I already see signs that they are over the excitement of preparing for the apocalypse. You know how on long road trips eventually kids start asking 'are we there yet?', well I see signs that they are all but asking 'has the apocalypse started yet?'. I saw my BiL pop open a package of toilet paper from the stash he showed that he had. I asked him isn't that for when you can't buy any in any store? He replied that he wasn't going shopping for awhile. Haha, we'll see. He's into shopping and buying stuff, there is NO way I believe he can go for two straight weeks without going to a store no matter how many supplies he has. I suspect he just couldn't wait to start officially 'surviving'. He seemed happy and excited as he opened the package.

I wonder how many people are going to gorge themselves on their supplies, use their emergency toilet paper, and otherwise go all in on surviving today and tomorrow. Then Monday morning everyone slowly realizes this is day one, what they just went through was a standard weekend...and there's at least two more weeks of this!
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

Holman wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:57 pm We installed a bidet last week.

I'll be splashing and laughing while the rest of you are wiping your butts with printer paper.
We went to Germany last year and had a bidet in our bathroom. I went from laughingly skeptical to true believer after one use. My hygienically overconscientious autistic teen asked for one for Christmas (he never wants anything). Lacking room for a stand alone, I installed one that fits on a standard toilet. It’s pretty great, and makes the whole toilet paper paradigm look ineffective and wasteful (although we use a square or two to pat dry).

Toilet paper is the least of my worries now, but I don’t think I’d be worried much anyway. Do these people not have showers?

Speaking as a Floridian, this is like an early hurricane scare for the whole country.
Quest: MacDaddy0 - PSN: Rupyrt - Live: MooseFoe
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I work in a Home Depot so I get a front row seat for a lot of this. Yay me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Some images from the Kotaku article 'Shop Contest: Toilet Paper, Winners!

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

morlac wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:42 am News from Atlanta Suburbs....

Grocery store was wiped out by 2 pm yesterday, buddy sent me a picture of the produce section. There were a handful of overripe Guacamoles, some ginger roots, and some other unrecognizable fruit/vegetable. That's it.
Dinner last night out, figured maybe last chance to eat out for awhile. It was Friday night packed, which was surprising due to the above. Waitress was worried about dwindling crowds, we left a huge tip.
Nephew went to Dr. this morning, yesterday he had cough, body aches, sore throat, and slight fever. No fever today, flue test was negative so they called it upper respiratory infection and sent him home with antibody script. He works drivethtough at Mcd's and exchanges payments with every customer. He said as much and they still not going to test him. WTF.
I told him to call into work and tell them he might have it as a precaution, they seemed annoyed he wasn't coming in. WTF
I am also paying him to stay home and play video games instead of work because he can't afford to miss work and because he said "I don't have it" WTF.
Imagine this exact scenario playing out nationwide... we are screwed.

My daughter started her Corona Diary last night. 2 pages for her first entry. I'll share on here at some point if it's good ;)

Final preps for me..
1. hit bookstore and stock up
2. go check on 78 year old, overweight, diabetic Uncle and bring enough things he needs for 3-4 weeks.
3. Go get a few more supplies for my 94 year old Aunt who is incredibly good health for her age (lives in my neighborhood on her "own")
4. go get wifi extenders and old desk out of storage to setup a second office in guest bedroom since I expect both wife and myself to be working from home by mid next week if not sooner. Kid is all setup already and they have 2 hours online classes every day starting Monday.
5. Weather is getting nice so I am getting all the bikes out prepped for riding
6. Plan and plot out the backlog games I have been building up in anticipation for the last 5 years.+

That escalated quickly. National guard being deployed in Atlants and burbs. My county is leading in confirmed cases.
mori

Post by mori »

Finally the organic farmers will not need subsidies.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

mori wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:57 pm Finally the organic farmers will not need subsidies.
Dont kid yourself.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:32 pm Well that's a bummer. We were planning a long trip during May into June. I guess we'll just have to play it by ear and not commit to anything.
Our biggest uncertainty right now is travel plans. We have tickets to return to the US in June, visit for 6 weeks, and then return to Korea. Will we have to quarantine in the US? Will we need to move up our return date so that we can quarantine for 2 weeks in Korea before the start of the semester? Who knows.

Edit - I have other worries about my parents and so forth. But given the fact that I think I'm in a good situation here with my actions and the society's actions so minor issues sometimes loom larger.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Confirmed case in my town. It's heeeeeeeeeeeere.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It was nice knowing you.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

No it wasn't.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I sit corrected.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:44 pm I've personally already switched to visiting retail locations (for food) during low-volume times (i.e. an hour before the stores close) to minimize contact with others.
Man, was this bad advice. :P

I went to our regular grocery store Friday night about 1.5 hours before closing, and it was like I was shopping in a Soviet Bloc store in the 1980s. Produce was nearly non-existent, bread aisle was empty, frozen veggies had lots of pearl onions but nothing else, and the meat aisle had a few veal items, but nothing else (no pork, poultry, or adult beef - and veal doesn't fly in a household where the missus is vegetarian). We're regulars there so I talked to one of my peeps who was cleaning the deli counter and she told me that they'd be stocking throughout the night. I went back this morning at about 9:00 and there was plenty of stock. I was able to get just about everything I had on my list (oddly they were out of tempeh), so we're now stocked up. I had to go out in public twice instead of just the once, though, so I blame Smoove if I get the virus.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Which Overlord will be the first to get it? You know that more than one of use will. I think it's hepcat.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It'll be hard to know for sure. Surely some of us will feel under the weather, but will it be the flu? A cold? COVID-19? We'll likely never find out for sure.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

All ski resorts in Colorado closed for at least a week or until further notice (I suspect most will not reopen this season).
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Well I've had a sore throat runny nose intermittent cough and headache. Not covid but normal flu cold thing im sure. Not a t i ck of fever or dry chesty cough.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

He doesn’t post on here much anymore, but Captain Caveman has a good chance at being the first OOer with it. He’s pretty sure his bother-in-law has it - all the symptoms and hospital confirmed he doesn’t have the flu - but the hospital wouldn’t test him for Coronavirus. And just a couple of days back the BIL was at CC’s house for his son’s birthday. More worrisome, CC’s mother and father-in law who are in their early 70s were also at the birthday party.

If there’s any reason for optimism it’s that the BIL is sort of a recluse and didn’t interact with many people at the party.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ugh, sorry to hear that.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Pretty sure my Nephew has it but they wouldn't test him because hes not dying. He was over here last Tuesday hugging on my 94 year old Aunt. Uggh, fingers crossed.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

ImLawBoy wrote:
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:44 pm I've personally already switched to visiting retail locations (for food) during low-volume times (i.e. an hour before the stores close) to minimize contact with others.
Man, was this bad advice. Image

I went to our regular grocery store Friday night about 1.5 hours before closing, and it was like I was shopping in a Soviet Bloc store in the 1980s. Produce was nearly non-existent, bread aisle was empty, frozen veggies had lots of pearl onions but nothing else, and the meat aisle had a few veal items, but nothing else (no pork, poultry, or adult beef - and veal doesn't fly in a household where the missus is vegetarian). We're regulars there so I talked to one of my peeps who was cleaning the deli counter and she told me that they'd be stocking throughout the night. I went back this morning at about 9:00 and there was plenty of stock. I was able to get just about everything I had on my list (oddly they were out of tempeh), so we're now stocked up. I had to go out in public twice instead of just the once, though, so I blame Smoove if I get the virus.
It was great advice till yesterday. I've been slowly stockpiling for two weeks and we've got pretty much everything we'll set. And I never fought crowds and never really had to sweat empty shelves because I just got things at the next stop.
Then Tom Hanks got diagnosed, and it turned into the apocalypse. I feel bad for all those retail workers. Good extra hours but they just looked shell shocked at trying to restock after the swarm. Not to mention all the exposure from clientelle .

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why is the medical industry so dead set against testing anyone for this? They'll test you for the flu and everything else. At the very least they should test to create an infection map.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:18 am Why is the medical industry so dead set against testing anyone for this? They'll test you for the flu and everything else. At the very least they should test to create an infection map.
They aren't against it. They hate not testing. The government has been supplying the tests, has supplied so few of them that there aren't enough, and has set the rules for who is allowed to be tested.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

ImLawBoy wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:11 amMan, was this bad advice. :P
I'd been out every night last week and it definitely came to a head on Friday night during my local store's final hour of operation. It was easily the most crowded I've seen it as well, which I guess was people scrambling from a work week and then heading into the weekend? However, I did go back last night during the final hour and it was pretty much empty. Shelves had better supplies but overall crowd level was really low (what I'd been seeing earlier in the week).

Hopefully the short-term panic comes to a head this weekend for everyone, but I'm guessing so much depends on population density.

Overall, short-term exposure to groups is best, so hopefully my advice kept you safe regardless. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Stores are reducing their hours of operation, and supposedly spending that time on improved cleaning regime.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Holman

Post by Holman »

Late last week we experienced empty shelves at our main grocery store, but this morning those shelves are mostly full again.

The supply chain is holding. It's not really an apocalypse until that changes.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:59 pm I sit corrected.
You're still kickin'?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Like a Herbie Hancock video.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The panic would have to continue long-term to really collapse the supply chain. This was a panic burst. Everybody who wanted to hoard did so. Hopefully they have their cellars stocked and things can return to normal now.

The worst part is having to face my prepper friend whom I've mocked so often in the past.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Blackhawk wrote:The panic would have to continue long-term to really collapse the supply chain. This was a panic burst. Everybody who wanted to hoard did so. Hopefully they have their cellars stocked and things can return to normal now.

The worst part is having to face my prepper friend whom I've mocked so often in the past.
I mentioned a couple weeks back that I might finally have to talk with my crazy prepper father in law. This man has isolated himself for years in the back woods of Kentucky waiting for a pandemic. I've already starting to call him Hershel.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Walt Disney World is reportedly very busy today, their last day open till who knows...
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:31 am
Daehawk wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:18 am Why is the medical industry so dead set against testing anyone for this? They'll test you for the flu and everything else. At the very least they should test to create an infection map.
They aren't against it. They hate not testing. The government has been supplying the tests, has supplied so few of them that there aren't enough, and has set the rules for who is allowed to be tested.
Enlarge Image

We also don't yet have a system in place akin to the drive-through testing, with healthcare workers in full haz-mat suits, they've been doing in South Korea. Without a system like that, there's a significant risk of healthcare workers becoming infected themselves and needing to be quarantined, which would be catastrophic when the goal is to avoid overburdening healthcare infrastructure.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

We've been ordered to telecommute. Effective Wednesday we will not be allowed in the building. They sequester critical personnel to keep the power on and eliminate their exposure to corporate people coming in and out.

Kids were also just told they will have a 2.5 week spring break.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

We've got it in Denver. Not sure why we seem to be the only one thus far. And of course one isn't enough even for Denver.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

msduncan wrote:
Kids were also just told they will have a 2.5 week spring break.
I'm expecting all these closures to be extended. If I were a betting man, I'd say most school years are effectively over.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:08 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:31 am
Enlarge Image

We also don't yet have a system in place akin to the drive-through testing, with healthcare workers in full haz-mat suits, they've been doing in South Korea. Without a system like that, there's a significant risk of healthcare workers becoming infected themselves and needing to be quarantined, which would be catastrophic when the goal is to avoid overburdening healthcare infrastructure.
Per my wife -- the lack of drive through testing up until this point is because of stringent US laws and regulations concerning who can medically test people, how they can be tested, etc. These are rules for peacetime. She is a lab manager and follows these rules every day. The national state of emergency yesterday allowed these rules to be waived. Drive through testing is being set up over the next week all over the country. Alabama just opened theirs.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.